Page 208 of 208 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208
Results 4,141 to 4,152 of 4152

Thread: Random Wrestling Talk

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Random Wrestling Talk

There's me thinking an innocent post about a book would be a nice change from all the other wrestling threads here getting derailed by idiotic bullshit...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Bryan's book is fantastic, especially by wrestler standards. Highly recommended. Not quite as good as Bret's, which I think is the standard for all wrestling autobiographies. But I think that may just be because Bret has a more interesting story with more drastic ups and downs.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

[be more kind]

Status

Surprisingly, this is only the third wrestling autobiography I've read after Bischoff's & Foley's first. Bret's is the one with the best rep, any other recommendations?

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Surprisingly, this is only the third wrestling autobiography I've read after Bischoff's & Foley's first. Bret's is the one with the best rep, any other recommendations?

I havent read a book of any kind in years. But from what I can remember from when I did read:

If you can get past the preachy religious parts, I found Vince Russo's second book to be oddly enjoyable. Whether you believe half the stuff he says or not, I feel like it was a fun look at him explaining certain events from his point of view.

Jericho's first book was highly entertaining, though his books got less enjoyable with each one he put out. Couldn't tell you for certain though whether that's from the books getting worse or me just progressively losing interest in Jericho for the past decade.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Makes Me Feel Good View Post
    I havent read a book of any kind in years. But from what I can remember from when I did read:

If you can get past the preachy religious parts, I found Vince Russo's second book to be oddly enjoyable. Whether you believe half the stuff he says or not, I feel like it was a fun look at him explaining certain events from his point of view.

Jericho's first book was highly entertaining, though his books got less enjoyable with each one he put out. Couldn't tell you for certain though whether that's from the books getting worse or me just progressively losing interest in Jericho for the past decade.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk
    Yeah, Jericho's first two book are ace, but get steadily worse. Though I did skip past the Fozzy chapters too, to be fair.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

[be more kind]

Status

I can imagine Jericho's books getting progressively worse. He's 50 and he's already on 4(?) books? That's a lot of material you've got to justify writing about.

Finished the Danielson book. Bit stretched out towards the end, but really enjoyable overall.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I know this is a loaded question and excuse my ignorance but as someone who is completely uneducated to Japanese wrestling of the 90s, where might be a good starting point? I want to see the classic matches that I've seen mentioned so many times but fear that if I jump into one completely cold I won't get as much out of it. Can someone give me some direction on where to start?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BD22 View Post
    I know this is a loaded question and excuse my ignorance but as someone who is completely uneducated to Japanese wrestling of the 90s, where might be a good starting point? I want to see the classic matches that I've seen mentioned so many times but fear that if I jump into one completely cold I won't get as much out of it. Can someone give me some direction on where to start?
    Well, Ed is doing a watch-thru on a lot of the King's Road All japan stuff from the 1990s that is worth digging into if you haven't already. A lot of those matches can be found relatively easily and they are some of the greatest matches ever, so... kinda worth watching. There is no real ideal starting point - the whole basis of King's Road is that every encounter builds on previous, so the genesis for a lot of things was way back in the mid to late 80s. There are few lengthy recaps I've seen some people do that are worth reading so you can have idea of how things evolved without necessarily starting back in the Jumbo-Tenryu era.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BD22 View Post
    There's quite a broad range of styles to have a pick at here.

If you are interested in the All Japan classics, I'd say the beginning of the decade is the best starting point as that style and promotion in particular benefits from understanding the long-running backstories and how they built and developed the in-ring style over years, so if that's what you're after I'd suggest the Jumbo vs Misawa matches in 1990. It's the first major feud they had in the 90s that represented a change of the guard both in terms of the top star of the promotion and an evolution of the wrestling, and seeing Misawa's rise to the top as ace gives much more context to his future feuds with Kawada, Taue and Kobashi.

If you're interested in heavyweight wrestling that is more about dude beating the shit out of each other than the epic lore, check out some of the Tenryu vs Hashimoto matches and New Japan vs WAR tags.

If you're interested in the juniors scene, most of the big Liger or Ohtani matches can be jumped into without much backstory.

I shall PM you a good resource to stuck into that has helped me and countless others.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    There's quite a broad range of styles to have a pick at here.

If you are interested in the All Japan classics, I'd say the beginning of the decade is the best starting point as that style and promotion in particular benefits from understanding the long-running backstories and how they built and developed the in-ring style over years, so if that's what you're after I'd suggest the Jumbo vs Misawa matches in 1990. It's the first major feud they had in the 90s that represented a change of the guard both in terms of the top star of the promotion and an evolution of the wrestling, and seeing Misawa's rise to the top as ace gives much more context to his future feuds with Kawada, Taue and Kobashi.

If you're interested in heavyweight wrestling that is more about dude beating the shit out of each other than the epic lore, check out some of the Tenryu vs Hashimoto matches and New Japan vs WAR tags.

If you're interested in the juniors scene, most of the big Liger or Ohtani matches can be jumped into without much backstory.

I shall PM you a good resource to stuck into that has helped me and countless others.
    Mind passing that resource my way? Just in case its something I haven't dug into before lol? I need to do some King's Road viewing. Its been too long.

Edit - you also make a good point. I just kinda assumed AJPW stuff, based on another question BD22 had asked on another thread. But NJ did have some great stuff thru the 90s as well. Its often seems overlooked due to the hype around AJ. You can find great matche s in any area of the puro world that you fits your tastes - junior, shoot, death match, joshi….
    Last edited by Big Papa; 12-01-2021 at 02:53 PM.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...csJ7kjB0f_IcEV

Here's a 14-part series that someone did on YouTube explaining the history of Kings Road and discussing the background, style and wrestlers that were important to the genre. I would say after watching this, you'll have a good enough idea that you can go ahead and start digging into 90s All Japan for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...csJ7kjB0f_IcEV

Here's a 14-part series that someone did on YouTube explaining the history of Kings Road and discussing the background, style and wrestlers that were important to the genre. I would say after watching this, you'll have a good enough idea that you can go ahead and start digging into 90s All Japan for sure.
    Even though I know a good amount of this, especially the early going, I've been enjoying watching this series since you posted it.

Page 208 of 208 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208

Thread Information