Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The 100 Greatest WCW Matches

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Re: The 100 Greatest WCW Matches

100% agree with you on this match being a goody. Also think Steamboat's performance here was amazing. Awesome selling throughout, even during his comebacks and I'd argue that some of the stuff of what he was doing here was why for so long he had the best fight back in a match in wrestling. I think this was probably a big moment to try and further help cement Regal as a player on PPV as well.

Steamboat might just be the greatest babyface of all time and this is a prime example why.

Just for shits and giggles, pretty sure I ready somewhere that Meltzer rated this under 2 stars due to boring body part work which is kind of funny. Further cements how different my taste is from that guys.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    1993 was my most frustrating year ever for WCW. With their roster, they could have been having constant bangers to the point that even Bret Hart couldn't have helped WWE compete against WCW. Instead, WCW decided to push a bunch of randoms that caused the company to have a pretty lackluster year minus one great PPV (Superbrawl III) and a handful of great matches. I consider Regal/Steamboat to be a hidden gem from 1993, but if someone weren't to include it in a top 100, I wouldn't fault them since so much of 1993 can be skipped entirely. I love Regal's pre-Nitro TV Title dominance particularly since it doesn't feel like those sort of matches could have happened later on in time.

My instinct says that this is the one great WCW 1993 match that doesn't receive any attention.
    Isn't this just the story of WCW as a whole? You can look at their roster at just about any point in the 90s and its full of high potential, high quality wrestlers. Yet they never put it all together consistently.

Totally agreed about Regal's TV title run. He had a lot of matches I thoroughly enjoyed but didn't consider list worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    100% agree with you on this match being a goody. Also think Steamboat's performance here was amazing. Awesome selling throughout, even during his comebacks and I'd argue that some of the stuff of what he was doing here was why for so long he had the best fight back in a match in wrestling. I think this was probably a big moment to try and further help cement Regal as a player on PPV as well.

Steamboat might just be the greatest babyface of all time and this is a prime example why.

Just for shits and giggles, pretty sure I ready somewhere that Meltzer rated this under 2 stars due to boring body part work which is kind of funny. Further cements how different my taste is from that guys.
    I would certainly say Steamboat is at the very worst a top 5 babyface ever. Like you said its not just for his selling but his offence is tremendous too

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

WCW Tag Team Championships
    Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes vs. Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas
    WCW Clash of the Champions 21

The most important thing to note about this match is the fact that all four men are babyfaces. This list is chock full of great tag matches, but most of them would follow a face/heel formula. In that regard, this match separates itself from the pack. Dustin and Douglas start the match and exchange holds and momentum and it’s all pretty tame. As soon as Steamboat and Windham come in though there is a definite change in tone of the match with both men being far more aggressive than Rhodes and Douglas were. Even the lockups between Windham and Steamboat feel more heated than the preceding moments. In a tease to the later parts of the match, Windham and Steamboat are so aggressive that their partners hold them back to stop them losing control.

One thing I always love about matches that contain a turn is that when you rewatch the match they were basically wrestling the match in that alignment all along. It’s something that makes Austin vs The Rock from Wrestlemania 17 so special - Austin wrestles that entire match as a heel. It’s a similar situation here, Windham wrestles a lot of the match as by far the most heelish wrestler in the match. Rhodes and Windham act as the de-facto heels by controlling much of the match, but Windham is the one that actually feels like a heel.

My favourite spot of the match is what sets off the conclusion to the match. When Steamboat tries to leapfrog Dustin and doesn’t quite make it, and basically gets low blowed. It’s a great spot that when you first watch the match you might forgive yourself for thinking it was a botch. That is quickly shown to not be the case as Windham is going ballistic because Dustin isn’t willing to take advantage. Windham has no such qualms about it, and is very happy to work over Steamboat after the unfair advantage.

This is a very smartly worked turn because you can see it from both sides of the story. Windham just wants to win the match - he can’t help that his opponent got injured, but he wants to hold his titles. But Rhodes is young, immature, and it’s his former tag team partner, so he doesn’t want to take advantage of the injury. That confusion between Rhodes and Windham ultimately costs them the tag team titles, as Rhodes takes exception to Windham’s aggression.

Overall I think this is a very good match, but the storytelling and character work from Rhodes and Windham makes this a great match.It gets extra bonus points for the post match too. Perfectly executed storytelling, and well worth a watch.

Next Up - Further proof that Sting’s best matches come against violent psychopaths

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I couldn't agree any further with your summary on this one. A good match technically, but the story amps it up so much. Windham and Rhodes were awesome in this. Even Douglas missing the Crossbody to be the one to get beat down feels right because he's trying overly hard to prove himself, where as Steamboat is already legit. Love the story here.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Submit or Surrender
    Cactus Jack vs. Sting
    WCW Power Hour, 23rd November 1991

Sting is a curious wrestler who hasn’t turned up much on this series so far. I’ve always had a love-hate relationship with him because he’s a wrestler that, in the right circumstances, can be so so good. But at the same time, particularly when I was younger on other wrestling boards, people would hype up his in-ring talent and I just didn’t see it. I think that perception has largely been quashed since then, and I think most would agree that the fair assessment of Sting is that he is a situational wrestler who, when given the tools and platform to succeed, can. He’s a wrestler who strikes me as only as good as his opponent, and only as good as his motivation, but if his opponent is high quality, he can match that quality in spades. It’s a similar comment that has often been made of the likes of Booker T, but I think the comparison is more apt for Sting who has far more volatility - with much (much!) higher highs and much lower lows.

But when you put a babyface Sting up against a violent psychopath, something just clicks. We’ve only seen one example on this list now, but there’s more to come as you’d expect.

Many people are aware of their more famous Beach Blast match. After all, it’s a terrific match and still to pop up on this list. But this one has gotten a lot of hype in corners of the internet as an unsung gem of a match. I first got introduced to this in my 30 Days of Sting series. The concept is pretty self explanatory. No rules, only way to win is by making your opponent tap out or quit entirely.

They waste little time going at it here, with brawling on the outside and the use of a trash can. The offence and selling from both men shines, which is a huge reason why this random 12 minute match is so enjoyable to me.

I love the whole atmosphere of the match - even little touches like a fan refusing to give Cactus their steel chair is such a tiny aspect that adds so much to the match. The referee trying to take the chair away from Cactus (without it being forced or overbearing). Little touches that add credibility to Cactus. I mentioned in my 30 Days of Sting review that this reminds me of the Shawn Michaels match from Mind Games in a lot of ways. Obviously not to that quality, but just in the tone of the match. Sting is a fiery babyface, but he’s never been in this kind of situation against this sort of wrestler. Instead of just relying on his normal offence and style, Sting has to step up and become every bit the violent wrestler that Cactus is. I love stuff like that, and it is the sort of stuff that separates a good babyface wrestler from a top tier one. If there’s one thing I like better than that, it’s smart heels - and Cactus is actually a smart wrestler here. He’s not your typical psychopath, he’s outsmarting Sting constantly in the early going with creative counters. In a lot of ways this is a precursor to the themes that would make Sting vs Vader such an iconic pairing.

The second half of this match is where it becomes more crazy and they start to escalate the violence. Sting sells a lot for Cactus, despite Cactus being way lower on the totem poll than Sting (who was the current US Champion at the time). While Sting takes a lot of punishment, unsurprisingly the biggest bumps come from Foley. Including one of the nastiest Foley bumps where he takes to the floor and hits the back of his head on the concrete. After that, it’s all academic and Cactus is completely out of it.

These two were magic together, and I think there’s another universe where Cactus becomes a bigger deal in WCW. I will always have high praise for matches that: a) accomplish the job they intended to (in this case make Sting look great while also not hurting Cactus at all); b) make the most of limited time and spotlight. A real feather in the cap of both men’s resume.

Next Up - I cannot tell you the difficulty I had in ranking this next match and … it’s a random cruiserweight match from Nitro?

And here I was thinking it was just going to be the more well known Beach Blast bout.

I don't have any memory if I've seen this match or not, but I figure this is a good chance to talk about random tangets.

As much of a disaster as mid 1991 was for WCW, I think both Sting and Cactus benefitted greatly from Ric Flair's sudden departure. For Foley, I don't think I give him enough credit for being one of the reasons for how WCW rebounded around the end of 1991/start of 1992 to start putting on good shows again. I normally give credit towards Rick Rude, creation of the Dangerous Alliance, return of Ricky Steamboat, and debut of Jushin Liger, but Foley's return was a great addition to the company. Meanwhile, Flair's stint in the WWE forced Sting to step outside of his comfort zone and stumble into the fact that his best chemistry is against monsters like Cactus and Vader. Everyone knew Sting could have a great match in pre-1991 with Flair and to a lesser degree Great Muta, but the variety that Sting produced in late 1991-early 1993 added to Sting's resume a lot.

It's a weird thing, but I dig WCW's pure randomness with gimmicks in the early 90s. Submit or Surrender was just a wacky gimmick match that WCW had on several of their shows around this time period. A year before, they ran the Running the Gauntlet series on the weeklies. Around 1994/1995, they had some fan voting based matches. WCW was actively trying to be creative to add importance to otherwise unimportant weekly matches.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Meanwhile, Flair's stint in the WWE forced Sting to step outside of his comfort zone and stumble into the fact that his best chemistry is against monsters like Cactus and Vader. Everyone knew Sting could have a great match in pre-1991 with Flair and to a lesser degree Great Muta, but the variety that Sting produced in late 1991-early 1993 added to Sting's resume a lot.
    I agree with what you said. Though one of the frustrating things about Sting is that his matches with Flair (and Muta, I guess) are often just shy of being great. I think one of the reasons I've been negative on Sting as a worker on the whole is because at a time when Flair was churning out great matches with absolutely everyone, the Sting series never got over the hump for me. He definitely improved going into 1991 and through the DA feud and I'd say that's the high point of his career as a worker is ironically when he was without his most famous opponent.

It's a weird thing, but I dig WCW's pure randomness with gimmicks in the early 90s. Submit or Surrender was just a wacky gimmick match that WCW had on several of their shows around this time period. A year before, they ran the Running the Gauntlet series on the weeklies. Around 1994/1995, they had some fan voting based matches. WCW was actively trying to be creative to add importance to otherwise unimportant weekly matches.
    I love stuff like the random gimmicks to matches from WCW. Granted, the majority of their gimmicks ended up sucking, but it was nice to have that variety.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

WCW Cruiserweight Championship
    Rey Mysterio Jr. (c) vs. Blitzkrieg vs. Juventud Guerrera vs. Psychosis
    WCW Monday Nitro, 19th April 1999

Yes, that’s right, this match - this random Cruiserweight match from a Nitro in 1999 is the hardest match I had to rank. Generally this tends to only happen with matches that are unique and difficult to rank in line with other matches, such as John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar from Summerslam 2014. But on the surface there isn’t anything unique about this one outside of being a Cruiserweight match that gets a long amount of time.

I think I’ve watched this match four times in this process to try and get its placement right. And every time I end up second guessing myself.

For about 15 minutes of this match, I’m basically putting this as high as a top 20 match - and given the incredible quality of the top 20 matches, that is some high praise. The crowd is hot for this match, even though they only seem to like Rey Jr, but heels get good heat, and the crowd ends up loving Blitzkrieg.

Generally with fatal four way matches, I’m apprehensive because there’s a common trope in wrestling where it breaks down to a series of one-on-one matches and never feels believable. That’s not the case in this one. Sure there’s some parts of one-on-one matches, but they came after a big spot or bump that took the others out of the match. Instead this match is full of creative spots featuring everyone, in particular there’s a running theme of wrestlers working together. Juventud and Psychosis start the match as a team, clearly as some premeditated plan, but they quickly realise that it is only a short term alliance and Psychosis turns on Juve. There’s an alliance between Blitzkrieg and Rey also, but that seems more situational and is also discarded quickly. A word on Blitzkrieg, this guy fucking ruled. He was only around for a year in WCW, barely on TV and yet every time he seemed to shine. He fit into the Cruiserweight division like a glove and didn’t look out of place among these great talents that had been wrestling for far longer. Looking at cagematch, he only stuck around for a little bit before retiring, but I have fond memories of his 1999 WCW run.

By this point, most of these guys had been on TV for several years outside of the aforementioned Blitzkrieg, so you’d think we’d seen just about everything, but once again I’m stunned by some of the offence these guys pull off. Especially Rey. This match would not look out of place on your standard spotfest today. Everything is crisp and feels impactful.

The other thing they get so perfect is the timing. Every pin breakup is well timed, everyone always seems to be in the right place, there’s no waiting around waiting for someone to dive on them.

So after all this praise, what’s the issue? Well the problem is they run out of steam. And I don’t mean that to say they slow down - far from it - but rather that after a certain point, they’ve done all the biggest spots in the match. There’s no more escalation. And because of that, this match feels like it runs too long and outstayed its welcome. That’s a sentiment reflected by the crowd also who start to get impatient with the match and the kickouts. To represent what I mean, let’s compare it to one of the most spectacular spotfests in wrestling history: the six man tag from ROH Supercard of Honor 2006. That match is about the same length as this, but it doesn’t feel like it outstays its welcome. Why? Because in that match there’s clear escalation. It’s bonkers all the way through, but the most batshit stuff comes at the end to the point where the crowd gets crazier even beyond what you thought was possible.

I’m not sure if this match suffered without Mike Tenay too. I’m pretty indifferent to Tenay on the whole, but there’s no doubt he makes the Cruiserweight matches feel at least a little important because he’s trying to get over the moves and characters. Heenan and Schiavone are excellent commentators on the whole, but this isn’t their specialty and it shows. Blitzkrieg’s Skytwister (a Phoenix Splash) iis described by Schiavone as a “spinning … twisting … errr … cross body splash”.

Despite my negatives there are so many positives, that I have no issue calling this a top 5 Nitro match in history. There’s parts of this that blow away every other match in this series, there’s just a big negative that makes it hard to rate higher - and unfortunately that negative can’t be easily fixed without changing the match structure entirely.

Next Up - On paper, one of the most star studded tag matches in wrestling history from WCW Saturday Night

Last edited by Shock; 06-12-2022 at 04:03 AM.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I definitely think this match deserved credit for the amount of awesome spots, but I also think there was some sloppiness/sluggishness throughout. I think I look at this even more fondly because the end result sees Psychosis getting a well deserved title run. Guy had been holding it down for years.

Similar to what you said though, I think if this was cut to 12-15 mins, we probably have an all timer, but instead it just kind of felt okay to me by the end of it.

Blitzkrieg is one of the most interesting wrestlers in WCW history. He was there for under a year, showcasing a style that had become popular on WCW TV for a few years, had maybe...2-3 spotlight matches, and then disappeared without any mention. Yet, he remains someone who is brought up here and there. The sad thing is that shortly after Blitz got to WCW, the CW division fell really hard.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    I definitely think this match deserved credit for the amount of awesome spots, but I also think there was some sloppiness/sluggishness throughout. I think I look at this even more fondly because the end result sees Psychosis getting a well deserved title run. Guy had been holding it down for years.

Similar to what you said though, I think if this was cut to 12-15 mins, we probably have an all timer, but instead it just kind of felt okay to me by the end of it.
    Yeah Psychosis winning the title was a nice treat to the match I hadn't mentioned in my review. It was nice to see him finally get it.

Blitzkrieg is one of the most interesting wrestlers in WCW history. He was there for under a year, showcasing a style that had become popular on WCW TV for a few years, had maybe...2-3 spotlight matches, and then disappeared without any mention. Yet, he remains someone who is brought up here and there. The sad thing is that shortly after Blitz got to WCW, the CW division fell really hard.
    Are you saying you didn't enjoy the transition from the Rey/Juve/Kidman etc era to the likes of Madusa, Ed Ferrara, Disco Inferno and Prince Ieukea?

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Ric Flair & Steve Austin vs. Ricky Steamboat & Sting
    WCW Saturday Night, 30th July 1994

There’s not many matches in wrestling history that can claim to have more star power than this. Granted some of them weren’t at their absolute peak stardom at the time of this match, but retrospectively speaking I think that statement holds true.

I’ve mentioned before but this match just reinforces how crazy WCW were for not seeing the star in Austin. Of course it’s very easy to say with hindsight, and they may not have stumbled into the Stone Cold gimmick. But in this match with three established stars and great talents, he stands out as a phenomenal wrestler and arguably the most impressive guy in the match. Everything he does in this match showcases those little things that made him so special. His mannerisms, selling and offence were all top notch.

This match is one of the most fun matches of the entire series. What more could you want in a match? Four great wrestlers, a hot crowd, Sensational Sherri, and so much energy from everyone involved. In terms of an overarching story to the match, there’s not a lot to it. But I don’t think for a TV tag match that that's necessary because the pace of the match is so engaging and carries the interest in lieu of any internal story. The hot tag from Steamboat was awesome. Steamboat himself is just about to retire, which is a shame because his 1994 was insane in terms of quality. Thanks to the effort and motivation of the competitors, this made for a great tag match. There’s also something hilarious about watching Flair doing both of his usual matches with both of his most famous opponents in the same match.

The finish is a little out of nowhere but it does come immediately following Sherri taking a nasty looking bump to the outside.

Not too much more to say, just a thoroughly enjoyable tag match in an era full of them, with guys that churned them out regularly. If this had more of a story and any sort of long term implications, it could have been even higher on the list, but definitely give this a watch.

Next Up - Despite its greatness, the next match is only the third best match of Super Brawl 3.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

And if I remember correctly, this was the one where Austin had the "Just win baby" on the back of his trunks. Definitely agree on it being interesting watching Flair have a Flair match against his two biggest opponents. I agree that Steamboat's hot tag was well done as usual. My biggest concern in this one was the number of control segments. They isolated Steamboat, then Sting got in and eventually got isolated, then Steamboat gets a hot tag which eventually turns into him getting cooled down again. Felt maybe like a little to much control/filler action to flesh out the 20 mins or so that they had to work with. I agree on the Austin comments about being the best guy in this match as well. I thought this had it's faults, but I still have it down as a pretty solid Saturday Night tag that's for sure.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

WCW has so many great TV matches among their long list of syndicated shows that something like Saturday Night tag can totally go under the rader.

Super Brawl III is a fun show. For every great match, it has a real stinker (Mutoh v Windham).

Custom Usertitle.

Status

Looking at the SuperBrawl 93 card, I don't remember Dustin Rhodes vs. Maxx Payne at all but I'm very curious about it now. Unsure what I'd say the third best on the show is, but probably RNR vs. Heavenly Bodies or Cactus vs. Orndorff.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Looking at the SuperBrawl 93 card, I don't remember Dustin Rhodes vs. Maxx Payne at all but I'm very curious about it now. Unsure what I'd say the third best on the show is, but probably RNR vs. Heavenly Bodies or Cactus vs. Orndorff.
    Dustin on PPV/Clash in 1993 mostly sucked. With Rhodes vs Payne being a last minute replacement for Rhodes/Ron Simmons, don't go into expecting it to be good.

Shock's opinion may be slightly different, but I'd say the top three matches of Superbrawl 3 were Sting/Vader, Benoit/Scorpio, and RnR/Bodies, so I imagine the last one will be the one selected unless Shock is more into the fun Cactus/Orndorff match than I am.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    WCW has so many great TV matches among their long list of syndicated shows that something like Saturday Night tag can totally go under the rader.

Super Brawl III is a fun show. For every great match, it has a real stinker (Mutoh v Windham).
    I remember this one. I didn't necessarily think it was a stinker. A bit long and there wasn't anything overly good, but I just didn't think it was that bad either.

I'm leaning towards Cactus/Orndorff for next entry.

The safe bet is that if the NWA World Title/WCW International Title/Big Gold Belt is being defended on a WCW PPV, it's going to suck or at the very least be disappointing. The only ones I can recall being actively good was Windham/Anderson from Slamboree 1993 and Sting/Vader from Superbrawl IV. Not a PPV, but Windham's next title defense at the following Clash of the Champions against 2 Cold Scorpio was also good. Even with notable talent like Muta, Chono, Flair, and Rude, that belt had so many disappointments on PPV during its two year history.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Heavenly Bodies vs. The Rock N Roll Express
    WCW Superbrawl 3

It’s another day, and another tag match. This time from some familiar names for any lovers of great tag team wrestling. Tom Pritchard and Stan Lane make up the Heavenly Bodies for this one, with Jim Cornette at ringside. If you’ve seen any of the Midnight Express vs Rock N Roll Express matches, you’d be forgiven for believing you’ve seen this before. And while it may not hit those incredible highs of their bouts a few years prior, it’s still such a fun match with all the familiar tropes. These guys were truly masters of their craft - the early moments of the match with the Rock N Roll Express getting the better of the heels was fantastic. I just love the creativity in the ways they managed to outsmart the heels. Like I always say, there’s nothing better than smart faces.

That early domination from the Rock N Roll express ends at around the midpoint of the match (not before Jim Cornette takes a phenomenal exaggerated bump in the ring). From there, it’s that face-in-peril section that you’d expect from this kind of Southern Style tag match. Ricky Morton is of course amazing as the face-in-peril and the heels do a great job working over him. The finishing sequence isn’t high on near falls, but the near falls they do use are well timed and smartly worked.

Timeless match. You could put this in any era and it would be a treat. The only thing that holds this back from a higher spot on the list is I can’t shake the feeling that it’s more of a “Best Of” hits match rather than something unique.

Next Up - This TV title match goes to show that sometimes a contrast in style can really surprise you with their chemistry.

Something kind of fun about The Heavenly Bodies vs RnR in 1993. They wrestled each other in three different companies with three different line-ups for Heavenly Bodies:

WCW Superbrawl - Lane/Prichard vs RNR
    SMW Live Events - Lane/Eaton vs RNR
    WWE Survivor Series - Prichard/Del Ray vs RNR

It's a shame pre-Heyman ECW never brought in RNR to battle Bobby Eaton and Tom Prichard in 1993.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information