Thread: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 In Tokyo Dome

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 In Tokyo Dome

ezgif-7-764975ff36.jpg

Night One - 04/01/2022
    YOH vs. SHO

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Mega Coaches (Rocky Romero & Ryusuke Taguchi) vs. BULLET CLUB (El Phantasmo, KENTA & Taiji Ishimori)

Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, SANADA & Tetsuya Naito) vs. United Empire (Great-O-Khan, Jeff Cobb & Will Ospreay)

Katsuyori Shibata vs. ???

NEVER Openweight Title Match: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. EVIL

IWGP Tag Team Title Match: Dangerous Tekkers (Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.) (c) vs. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match: El Desperado (c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi

IWGP World Heavyweight Title Match:
    Shingo Takagi (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada

-

Night Two - 05/01/2022
    IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match: Flying Tiger (Robbie Eagles & Tiger Mask) (c) vs. Mega Coaches (Rocky Romero & Ryusuke Taguchi) vs. BULLET CLUB's Cutest Tag Team (El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori)

STARDOM Showcase Tag Team Match: Mayu Iwatani & Starlight Kid vs. Saya Kamitani & Tam Nakano

NJPW King Of Pro-Wrestling Title Four Way Match: ??? vs. ??? vs. ??? vs. ???

NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Title Match: House Of Torture (EVIL, SHO & Yujiro Takahashi) (c) vs. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, YOH & YOSHI-HASHI)

SANADA vs. Great-O-Khan

Tetsuya Naito vs. Jeff Cobb

IWGP United States Heavyweight Title No Disqualification Match: KENTA (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

IWGP World Heavyweight Title Match: Kazuchika Okada/Shingo Tagaki (c) vs. Will Ospreay

-

NOAH vs NJPW - 08/01/2022
    Yasutaka Yano vs. Kosei Fujita

TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) & Yuji Nagata vs. Funky Express (Akitoshi Saito, King Tany & Mohammed Yone)

Atsushi Kotoge vs. SHO

BULLET CLUB (Gedo & Taiji Ishimori) vs. Stinger (HAYATA & Seiki Yoshioka)

Suzuki-gun (DOUKI & El Desperado) vs. Los Perros del Mal de Japon (NOSAWA Rongai & YO-HEY)

Daiki Inaba, Daisuke Harada, Hajime Ohara, Kinya Okada & Yoshiki Inamura vs. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI), Master Wato & Ryusuke Taguchi

WAVE (Naomichi Marufuji & Yoshinari Ogawa) vs. Suzuki-gun (Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Zack Sabre Jr.)

Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Taichi & TAKA Michinoku) vs. Sugiura-gun (Kazushi Sakuraba & Takashi Sugiura) & KENTA

Go Shiozaki & Masa Kitamiya vs. House Of Torture (Dick Togo & EVIL)

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kazuchika Okada vs. Kaito Kiyomiya & Keiji Muto

Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, Hiromu Takahashi, SANADA, Shingo Takagi & Tetsuya Naito) vs. Kongo (Aleja, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Kenou, Manabu Soya & Tadasuke)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Re: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 In Tokyo Dome

The first two nights, for me, don't look too bad. I was worried about the card given the compnay's reputation over the past year but it's not too bad considering. I think it's likely the best match card that they could've put together with the roster they current;y have. Okada vs Shingo is a great main event, there are some interesting undercard matches such as O-Khan v SANADA, Shibata's return, Tekkers vs CHAOS, etc. There are still the House Of Torture matches that we have to slog through thought. EVIL is my least favourite Ishii opponent, even before the heel turn. SHO vs YOH could be good but that will depend on the amoung of interference it has. All in all, I haven't got much to complain about.

The NOAH vs New Japan show is throughly disapointing. Obviously it was going to be mostly tag team matches like these shows are but I thought we'd get one high profile match - which was the rumor with Okada vs Muto - but perhaps politics overcame all and we got this. Underwhelming comes to mind. Poor Go Shiozaki though. A bad deck for him, but at least Togo will take the pin. Kiyomiya is in a bad spot too. I think it would've been better for him to lose to Okada or Naito in a singles match than be the obvious pin eater in a tag team match. Is that just me?

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Japan

The only match on any of these shows with any meaning or interest is Shibata's match. Everything else is like 90% pass and 10% it could he good but has no interest or greater meaning.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

Really disappointed in that NOAH/NJPW card. I'll check out whatever Shibata ends up doing.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Commie Uncle View Post
    Really disappointed in that NOAH/NJPW card. I'll check out whatever Shibata ends up doing.
    The card sucks (obviously they can't agree on who's going over who in singles) but the worst part is Dick Togo is on it.

Get him to fuck.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The worst part is that they clearly had plans for singles matches before ultimately deciding to do tags. Two matches at the very least were decided (Marufuji/Ospreay and Kiyomiya/Okada) but someone didn't want to job at that scrapped everything.

Watch this lead to Mutoh being used in New Japan later on when his contract with NOAH winds down.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Shibata faced Narita in a normal rules match with strikes allowed in the end, so that helped things be more noteworthy than the ZSJ exhibition match. Good match that gives hope that Shibata's gonna be Shibata going forward in 2021. Doubt I'll watch anything else from this show unless it's highly recommended. Show sounds like a stinker so far.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I only watched from Shibata/Narita onwards, with the exception of EVIL vs Ishii because my internal clock said no to me waking up earlier than that but I'll check out SHO vs YOH before the end of the day, most definitely. I'm sure the show was below the expected standards of a big show such as this but it was an easy set of matches to sit through with their own benefits and appeals. The main event was great. Not a MOTYC level match but as good as you'd expect it to be at the very minimum.

Katsuyori Shibata vs Ren Narita:
    He’s back! Shibata changing this to pro wrestling rules is a sign that he’s good to go, right? I hope so. A return from injury is always good but this was a big one to come back from (a subdural hematoma). After years and years of testing the waters and being told no, Shibata continued to try to get cleared, and now it’s happened. Ren Narita is a good pick as a symbolic idea. Narita is a student of Shibata’s via the LA Dojo and seems to idolise him. Narita is low enough in the hierarchy to get absolutely killed by Shibata as well. And boy, did Shibata kill him.

Dangerous Tekkers vs Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI:
    The crowd needed a good pick me up after being forced to watch EVIL wrestle (I didn’t watch it but I can imagine so) so these four went out and had a balls out, fast paced tag team match with no stalling or messiness that bogged down Tekkers matches previously. YOSHI-HASHI not only has the effort but the booking behind him so he took most of the match by himself with Goto being his partner rather than the other way around. He and Taichi practically worked this like a singles match but Goto and ZSJ had their moments and roles within the match. The crowd audibly gasped at the piledriver and seemed to come alive for the closing stretch. Good tag team match.

El Desperado vs Hiromu Takahashi:
    This was a big step for this rivalry. It started out something the fans were waiting for each BOSJ tournament and it eventually manifested itself into something that’s 2nd from the top of a Tokyo Dome show. And best of all, Desperado won it, defeating his long-time rival and the favourite coming into the match. The match was hardly a classic, nor was it close to their best but it was a good rendition with the strike exchanges, reversals and dives. The moment didn’t have the gravitas that it probably should’ve had (the Tag Team title match result felt bigger) but it was a good win nevertheless.

Shingo Takagi vs Kazuchika Okada
    The match that needed to deliver the most did just that. There was nothing silly, like a 60 minute draw tease or interference. Just two great wrestlers wrestling. And fair play to Okada, he took an absolute beating in this match. His back will be sore after constantly Made In Japans, including one on the outside floor but he got wiped out by a Pumping Bomber that caught him flush on his eye socket. Okada brought it as well - great selling, great displays of toughness and presence. My favourite part of the match was when Okada was about to do his pose when Shingo caught him with a DDT. I believe it was one Rainmaker and done and it was an empathic one at that. These two mix and match with each other wonderfully. However, Okada’s best work was after the match in trying to get the title over. What a worker. Ospreay looks terrible with his haircut. In fact, I wasn't a fan of his whole presenation when he showed up. He's over and probably deserves to be a main eventer but it's off putting, slightly. He could tone it down a little.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Shibata match & the tag title match were very strong from night 1. The Stardom tag and Cobb/Naito were also good on night 2 and worth watching.

I won't say the Okada matches aren't good or well executed. They are. And the crowd even got into the Ospreay match by the end. But as a fan, besides Roman Reigns' in-match monologue style I don't think there's a style of wrestling I hate more than the Okada main event match. The most soulless matches in wrestling, often which are retreads of stuff we've seen before. I honestly don't know how anyone can be invested in him as champion at all. And the post-match of night 1 was fucking stupid of him accepting the title everyone hates after spending months saying it doesn't count as a real world title.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

I fell for the hype and watched Okada/Shingo on night 1, and this guy even brings Shingo down to a boring level. Okada + clap crowds + 30+ minutes is just a recipe for the most exhausting match you can watch in 2022. I'd love to think we're past the point of pretending this guy is fantastic, but there's still some people eating this shit up and slapping 4.5 stars on any match he has with the hot closing stretch. Zero as you point out, him accepting the new belt was totally illogical to the build of this main event, and here's Naito to set up Okada/Naito for a fresh direction at the top of the company lol.

Also, only half the amount of people showed up on N2 that went to N1 so could we perhaps bin this money grab move to have multiple nights and just go back to one night.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Dat Boi

Status
      Country                    United States

I love that Ospreay is objectively an Anti-draw. 6000 less people showed up because Billy Birdfuck was main eventing. Shibata showed up once and proved he was the man like he always has been.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

There is the argument that Night 2 always being less than Night 1 which is true but I also think Ospreay not being there all year only to show up a few weeks before the show, plus the ordinary card that could've supported it had something to do with it. It's a bit of both.

Okada vs Ospreay is my current MOTY (again). Hardly the psychology masterpiece that some people claim but it's hard not to like an excellent spot driven match that went 30+ minutes. I think the booking is pretty dreadful and is more signs of decline. They had no follow up to Jay White last year and they spent the whole build of Okada burying the title only to accept it. That makes little sense. Okada, bless him, spent a good chunk of his celebration trying to get the belt over.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

NOAH vs NJPW show was surprisingly good viewing imo. Dug the Kongo match as well as the main event. Okada going 3-0 at WK this year. Big man is back. Can't wait for him and Naito to feud over the one belt again. Really want to see him vs Kaito one on one though. Don't think NJPW have much option but to put the belt on Okada during this 50th anni year.

Not keen on the new title belt design at all still. The Okada v4 deal seems to have been a way to give the old belt a proper send off whilst trying to conjure up a way to get the new one over. I'd imagine that it'd be a bigger moment if crowds were allowed to be vocal and whatnot. Is what it is. I haven't kept up with pre-show coverage or any post show interviews so I assume Okada has said something that made this a logical outcome. They wouldn't have spent the entire year building up Okada with the v4 belt just for him to plop it aside on a whim for no reason. I'd love for Okada to keep the v4 belt but he only wanted to use it in place of a briefcase ultimately.

Spoiler:

6-4 NJPW

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

Caught some of the NOAH/NJPW show and thought what I saw was entirely skippable.

Togo is an all-time great but they have found a way to make him a bottom-tier cheating heel. Yeesh.

I've been hot and cold on Kiyomiya on the occasions I've watched him but he was the only one in the main event who wasn't mailing it in. Okada pinning him is the least interesting and worst decision, so of course that's what happened. God forbid either side might want to set up an Okada vs Kiyomiya title match and try to make some actual money.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    NOAH vs NJPW show was surprisingly good viewing imo. Dug the Kongo match as well as the main event. Okada going 3-0 at WK this year. Big man is back. Can't wait for him and Naito to feud over the one belt again. Really want to see him vs Kaito one on one though. Don't think NJPW have much option but to put the belt on Okada during this 50th anni year.

Not keen on the new title belt design at all still. The Okada v4 deal seems to have been a way to give the old belt a proper send off whilst trying to conjure up a way to get the new one over. I'd imagine that it'd be a bigger moment if crowds were allowed to be vocal and whatnot. Is what it is. I haven't kept up with pre-show coverage or any post show interviews so I assume Okada has said something that made this a logical outcome. They wouldn't have spent the entire year building up Okada with the v4 belt just for him to plop it aside on a whim for no reason. I'd love for Okada to keep the v4 belt but he only wanted to use it in place of a briefcase ultimately.

Spoiler:

6-4 NJPW
    Except that's literally what they actually did and in fact retconned the original story of a year prior of Okada saying v4 had no value anymore because it was linked to the IC double title to do just that.

Kaito was the only one who is both good and healthy in the main event. That show was a political mess. All the NOAH wins were designed to put under people who didn't matter at all and NJPW got Kotoge and Kaito both who are among the top stars of their division. I talked to someone in NOAH and they said they weren't happy with NJPW's big timing attitude of "giving too much" to NOAH and questioned how long this relationship could last. The main event result isn't surprising considering Muto is such a selfish performer and they weren't gonna let Okada get pinned, but I definitely felt like they killed off interest in the relationship pretty strongly or at least cooled it off for political purposes. Which was destined to happen anyway.

Thread Information