Thread: Game Changer Wrestling General Discussion Thread

World Champion

Status

Re: Game Changer Wrestling General Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    I fucking love Matt Cardona.
    This show wasnt too indy for you?

Man, the reaction to this show is sort of depressing. GCW had a chance to draw in a bunch of new fans and it seems like everyone new that gave GCW a chance, came away from it disappointed. Even Scott Keith bought and reviewed the show.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Man, the reaction to this show is sort of depressing. GCW had a chance to draw in a bunch of new fans and it seems like everyone new that gave GCW a chance, came away from it disappointed. Even Scott Keith bought and reviewed the show.
    I'm surprised he was able to take time off from verbally blowing Tony Khan.

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Damn i cant rep you for that one lol. i need spread some more love first

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I don't feel like he's some notable Khan defender. If anything, he's more of a Meltzer defender. Although I kind of appreciate old man Keith who doesn't have the anger (Or maybe passion that he used to), but he's just matter of fact with all of his thoughts nowadays.

Le Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    This show wasnt too indy for you?
    The rest of the show I do not care for but what Cardona has done/is doing is proper fun stuff.

WAKE UP

Status

If this show was an opportunity for GCW to cement themselves as the best place to go for wrestling outside WWE and AEW and win some new viewers, it was sadly a flop.

The sell out crowd were great, but the biggest problem remains the lack of real talent, and mixed with a bunch of questionable booking moves, disappointing no-show from Gresham, and some outright flubs made for a mixed bag that was more bad than good, though the core fanbase GCW already has may have left satisfied

The luchadores 6-man was easily the best match on the show and maybe the only thing that was actually good. Nice MPRO style spotfest. Not everything was timed smoothly (in fact there was way too much of guys obviously standing around waiting for their cue) but I liked that they added their own wrinkles to this format and those wrinkles were all pretty cool. ASF was the only weak link but all the rudos were really good.

Has it been confirmed why Gresh wasn't there? That really deflated the crowd and brought them back down to earth, and that Christian vs Rush match was forgettable.

Cardona vs Janela kinda worked as a tribute to absurdly over-booked ECW fuckfests but at 20 minutes went way too long for my attention span, and the actual wrestling wasn't particularly good.

Riot vs Katch was also pretty mediocre and that finish really soured the crowd. They were already going to be disappointed in Katch losing, but teasing an avalanche piledriver then just having a standard Riot Kick as the finish really didn't play well at all. That and Jarrett over Effy were really baffling calls.

There is a universe where Moxley vs Homicide could have a cool bloody street fight together, but in this universe we get them working another tired New Japan tribute match which was dead boring.

Main event at least had a huge pop for Gage's return but that finish, good grief what a fuck up that was. Made everything look real bush league, which isn't a great look for your lasting impression.

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    The rest of the show I do not care for but what Cardona has done/is doing is proper fun stuff.
    Did you happen to watch the rest of it. The trios match was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    If this show was an opportunity for GCW to cement themselves as the best place to go for wrestling outside WWE and AEW and win some new viewers, it was sadly a flop.

I cant see why anyone would think this based off last night
    Last edited by indyfan; 01-24-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I'm still trying to figure out what Jarrett/Effy was supposed to be story wise. The match fell kinda flat for me. Effy seemed to be off his game.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I'm not GCW lover but I thought the show was fine. I didn't like most of the matches, except for Jarrett vs Effy, which I wouldn't rate more than 3 stars, but I got what I wanted out of the show. Cardona vs Janela had its moments but went painfully too long to be anything other than average. Lio Rush and Blake Christian had their indie midcard epic that wasn't so epic. The opener was bad and reckless in the worst way. I didn't like the six man tag at all. I enjoyed the spot where everyone was one someone's shoulders though. It's not something that you see everyday. But there was far too much waiting and odd set ups that left me ultimately bored. The main event was disapointing and the finish was botched. They only had a few minutes due to time constraints (could've taken time away from a certain 20 minutes clusterfuck (not the match) that happened earlier on the show). But Nick Gage coming out and making his entrance was the moment of the show and was the only moment that I cared for. If anything, I would've taken the match being even shorter for the sake of longer entrance. Also Sabu showing up was amazing. A blackout often leads to something lame but it being Sabu made those times worth it.

Edit: I forgot to mention Moxley vs Homicide, but I guess that says it all.
    Last edited by MC 16; 01-24-2022 at 06:58 PM.

World Champion

Status

Anyone think Tony boy had anything to do with Ruby winning?

WAKE UP

Status

Could be, she is under contract with them, but then again she isn't a top star so she doesn't really need protecting on a show like this. If that is the case, the GCW know what they are getting when the bring in talent under contract elsewhere

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Could be, she is under contract with them, but then again she isn't a top star so she doesn't really need protecting on a show like this. If that is the case, the GCW know what they are getting when the bring in talent under contract elsewhere
    Exactly, they were more than happy to book her, Mox, Lio, Janela, and you can bet if Gresham wrestled he would have had to have gone over too.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Netherlands

I enjoyed parts of the show. I thought the Janela v Cordona match was lots of fun, and the endless run-ins were entertaining for the most part. The Edge-head spear with the One Night Stand parody was really funny. I also quite liked the Effy v Jarret show and thought Double J was interesting in this role (though I was surprised he went over). I unfortunately didn't see Lio/Christian or the Trios match which seem to have been the best things on the card so I'll catch up with those maybe (probably not). Also didn't watch Ruby v Katch and don't think I'll bother.

Opening tag match was a real mess and looked like an accident waiting to happen for the most part. G Raver is lame. That spot he did from the ladder was dumb as fuck. The whole match really was pretty poor and I didn't really care for many of the guys in it. The main event tag match was a letdown and too short, and I have to agree with indyfan really that Gage and Tremont were a bit of a letdown (especially in the main event). Homicide v Mox was okay I guess but nothing really to write home about.

Was my first full GCW show that I've watched and I thought it was okay, but I know that I missed the two matches I'm likely to enjoy the most on the card probably.

Dat Boi

Status
      Country                    United States

The only thing I want coming out of this show is Jon Moxley vs. Jeff Jarrett for the GCW title.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Let me tell ya, I love GCW. Far and away my favorite promotion. Use to be my home promotion but they don’t come to the Philly area anymore so I really only see them when they come to Atlantic City at the Showboat. But my friend and I did go to the Hammerstein show. Amazing atmosphere and I loved the show. I did have some gripes but overall it was well done despite not being a typical GCW show. NYSAC doesn’t allow death matches and that’s a key drawing point for GCW. It did feel like it pander to a more casual fan in attempt to bring more eyes to the product though.

My biggest gripe was the lack of 44.OH. That segment with them and SGC felt out of place and all parties involved deserved better than a filler segment. 44.OH carried GCW and a good chunk of Independent wrestler through the pandemic and SGC is one of GCW’s hottest acts. So it was a shame they couldn’t find anything for them to do on the card other than a quick segment with Sabu. I knew the minute the Briscoes open challenge was going last that we were getting Nick Gage and Matt Tremont as their opponents. Both dudes deserve their flowers as they’re deathmatch legends and a huge part of GCW’s history. Shame the match had to be cut short due to time restraints and the Lucha match going long. Overall it was a fun show but fell flat from a GCW standpoint as they couldn’t fully showcase their product.

Dat Boi

Status

Personally I would rather the lucha match go as long as it did and take time off of the Cardona/Janela match. Because, let's be honest, EVERY fucking Joey Janela GCW match since the first Spring Break is too goddamn long.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    UK

A terrible show. Only good part was Cardona

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    A terrible show. Only good part was Cardona
    You thought Cardona was better than that sick lucha match?

World Champion

Status

I was probably overall a bit more entertained by Cardona/Janela. The lucha tag was no doubt entertaining as hell though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information