Thread: New AEW championsip on the way

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

New AEW championsip on the way

Coming from WrestlingInc:

As noted earlier, AEW is planning to introduce a second Women’s Title in the near future.

It is now being reported by Andrew Zarian of Mat Men that the secondary Women’s Title will be called the TBS Championship. One can assume that the new title will be a sister championship to the TNT Championship currently held by Miro. Both Rampage and Dynamite will be moving to TBS in 2022.

Zarian broke the news while appearing on Denise Salcedo’s Speak Now Pro Wrestling show immediately after last night’s AEW Dynamite: Grand Slam at Arthur Ashe Stadium in Queens, New York.

There is no word yet on when the new title will be introduced. Zarian also hinted at the possibility of a Trios Championship being introduced at some point. There have been rumblings of such a Six-Man Title in AEW for some time now.

Britt Baker successfully defended her AEW Women’s World Championship against Ruby Soho in the main event of Dynamite: Grand Slam. You can click here for full results from the show
    I am really not into the name but it does make sense for branding and symmetry with the TNT Title.

I'm intrigued by the concept of a secondary women's title for sure though.

World Champion

Status

Re: New AEW championsip on the way

Sounds pretty pointless with the womens roster they have.
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

Should've gone for a womens tag title instead, imo. TBS title shouldve come after. Dumb name too.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Sounds pretty pointless with the womens roster they have.
    My thoughts exactly. The AEW womens roster is hardly deep and blessed with talent at the moment (though it's going in the right direction). WWE would have more of a case to add a secondary womens title as it is right now as they do have a deep, talented womens roster.

However, AEW aren't doing much wrong these days so I'll gladly give it a shot, of course.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Canada

I'll be the first to say that I like it and I'm glad they're choosing a secondary singles title over tag titles.

There are women on the roster who I just do not foresee ever capturing the AEW Women's World title like Kris Statlander. Does that mean Statlander is awful? No. But she's also just not at that level, she could be a very entertaining mid-level act though if she wanted to be. It also has the potential to elevate her and other women. Hayter is another talented lady that needs something to do, she doesn't need to just be in Britt's shadow the entire time. They have a lot of women who can hold a secondary title while not competing for the world title (Deeb, Rosa, Riho, Rose, Conti, etc).

Look at what the TNT title has done directly for Darby, Miro, and Brodie. Look at what it has done indirectly for a guy like Eddie Kingston. If they can do the open challenge concept here as well that would be super dope. It just has so much more potential to elevate + develop the division than a pair of tag titles ever would.

WAKE UP

Status

Will they keep the TNT title the TNT title when they are on a different network?

Title sounds pointless, the division isn't deep enough. Just run another tourney or competition or something if they need to give the rest of the women something to work towards.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

For me they don't do enough to present their womens champion with strong contenders and interesting angles enough to warrant adding another singles title into the mix.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is something they put on Jade Cargill to keep her away from the main womens title. At the moment she's not ready for that spot, or to lose a title match, but if she keeps winning it's hard to justify others getting title matches over her. Her as TBS Champion is something that Sterling can cut promos on and make it feel like she's made progress in her career without upping the expectation to deliver in the ring too much.

I guess my biggest takeaway from this is that the NWA womens title probably isn't coming back any time soon because why would you want 3 singles titles on a limited roster.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Will they keep the TNT title the TNT title when they are on a different network?

Title sounds pointless, the division isn't deep enough. Just run another tourney or competition or something if they need to give the rest of the women something to work towards.
    Yeah they're keeping the TNT Title as it is.

Also, I agree with you Raye. Much prefer having a secondary singles title to a tag title because evidently it's impossible to actually support a women's tag division in North America. I think the secondary title could be very helpful in elevating the division as a whole closer to where they need to be.

Internet Favorite

Status

Also if it's of any relevance, they have 23 women on the roster, 20 of which I believe are active wrestlers, if that affects anyone's perspective.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Also if it's of any relevance, they have 23 women on the roster, 20 of which I believe are active wrestlers, if that affects anyone's perspective.
    Not particularly. How much in-ring quality is in that quantity?

Internet Favorite

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    Not particularly. How much in-ring quality is in that quantity?
    Their division is obviously lacklustre compared to WWE's, but they surely can do stuff like the open challenge and cross-promotion with Impact to make it intriguing.

They've got Deeb, Rosa, Riho, Conti, Shida, Hayter, Hirsch, Statlander, and Ruby who could all be potential title holders while they're not in a program for the world title. Kiera Hogan is also on the verge of signing (allegedly) and they've got Diamante floating around too.

The division is certainly in a much better position now than a year ago, and I'm sure it'll progressively get better over the course of another year as well

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Will they keep the TNT title the TNT title when they are on a different network?.
    Even though Dynamite is going, Rampage is staying on TNT in 2022.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Mid-Card Champion

Status

TBS title sounds lame. I'm really not use on the TNT title name either. Just yeah, don't like it. And if it's just so they can put it on Jade, make up a title . Have her defend it, she can stay undefeated as long as it takes

[be more kind]

Status

In dodging Dynamite spoilers last night, I saw the thread title and immediately thought tag titles, so a secondary women's title is actually a nice surprise to me.

I'm for it. I've been critical of how AEW have booked their women's division for a while, having Britt at the top has helped raise it's profile even if I find her overexposed. A second title means more TV time for the others (which has improved since Rampage debuted), and it's different from the status quo of tag titles for the sake of it.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm cool. I think

Status
      Country                    UK

Brand Split! Brand Split! Brand Split!
    " I have this weird self-esteem issue where I hate myself but still think I’m better than everyone else."

Comeback King

Status

I really don't think more titles are always the answer. I like the idea of a second women's title in whatever ilk if they have a men's one but their division is very weak at the moment. My worry is that everything becomes about titles and I think AEW does the grudge rivalry really well so I don't think it is necessary, to be honest. Clearly, they see it differently.
    BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

Thread Information