Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: AEW Grand Slam - 9/22 & 9/24 2021

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: AEW Grand Slam - 9/22 & 9/24 2021

Not sure if it's been mentioned but it was clever of them not to really hit the "finishing moves" in the Danielson/Omega match, that was something nice to see, and something they can build on in the future..no matter what direction it goes in.

I think bringing Punk out straight after that match worked as he is about the only one who could follow such a match without any drop down, though perhaps the second half of the show needed that hit more.

Arn slipping on the apron, eurgh...a man his age shouldn't be doing things like that, at least with the bump he knows it's coming but slipping off the apron haha.

Not sure if I set my expectations a bit too high but I didn't really enjoy Black/Cody and Brit/Ruby. Is it just me or has Ruby not delivered in-ring yet?
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

To be fair, Arn is only a year older than Sting.

Also Ruby has never been that good in my eyes. I heard people say for quite some time that she was really good, or at least above average for a woman wrestler, and now that she was out of WWE she would prove it, but... yeah, I just don't think that's true. She's completely average in the ring based on everything I've seen up to this point.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    To be fair, Arn is only a year older than Sting.
    Huge difference in conditioning though haha.

#ShadeWinsLOL

Mid-Card Champion

Status

That Adam Cole entrance was crazy. His entrance was the single biggest pop all night. Danielson and omega had the consistent energy but the cole entrance woke the crowd back up.

World Champion

Status

Unless Masvidal is gonna wrestle some matches then I don't see any good that comes from this ATT angle. I'd say it isn't even helping Men of the Year who are aligned with ATT because they're being overshadowed by Lambert and his MMA stable. Even if Masvidal does do some matches I'm not sure his name recognition is enough to actually move a needle.

I felt tonight's show did drag, unfortunately. I think you could feel that the crowd that was there were a little worn out throughout it all, and that translated. But, the six man and eight man tags were both pretty sweet.

Le Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

That pop for Adam Cole. Christ.

WAKE UP

Status

Punk vs Hobbs was good stuff. Went longer than I was expecting and both guys looked good. Punk sold really well and gave Hobbs a lot before putting him away.

Christian and JB looked good but otherwise that 6-man was pretty rough going. The Adam Cole vs Luchasaurus stuff was by far the worst wrestling over the 2 shows, just real stinko. Think I'll be skipping the Superkliq stuff going forward.

Inner Circle vs MOTY was obviously whatever, just there to set up the angle afterwards. As long as this leads to some of these ATT guys getting in the ring, I am into it. Jericho is a weird fit for this feud, but whatever. If we get Masvidal in a match, even a tag, this could be very cool.

8-man was a decent spotfest. Not everything hit flush or looked good, but they kept it moving and it didn't go too long. Is there a reason why Jack Evans doesn't get featured much these days? Broken down? Just focusing on the younger talent?

Miro wrecking Fuego is becoming one of my favourite regular skits

Main event was fine, nothing special. Homicide bit was certainly unexpected. Bit weird to have make the save in a fair fight, but hearing him get big chants put a smile on my face. Kingston going ape for the finish was easily the best part.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Canada

Cole is so fucking over it's ridiculous, excited to see Cole/Jungle Boy on Dynamite too, that match should bang.

I liked the show but I'm excited for Rampage to just go back to 1 hour after this tbh. I just like the 1 hour format they had going. I understand they went all out for this week though and rightfully so.

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Random Rampage musings:

- Hardy offering up Evans for the hair match is hilarious and top level heel douchebaggery

- Actually preferred Punk/Hobbs to the Darby match. More defined roles and less pressure to force an epic meant this felt more like Classic Punk

- Can we keep this announce team going forward? Taz and Starks bounce off each other tremendously

- Inner Circle quickly becoming the most useless stable in AEW. Jericho and Hager get outnumbered by MMA guys, meanwhile Santana and Ortiz are happy go lucky with Lucha Bros, and Sammy is chilling with Fuego before also getting his ass kicked. Top notch group right there.

Liked all the matches in general, solid show in all.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Internet Favorite

Status

That's surprising to me, I didn't enjoy Hobbs/Punk much. I thought Hobbs looked both very green, and very hesitant to accidentally hit Punk. A lot of Hobbs offence in that match looked very weak and like he was holding back.

Comeback King

Status
      Country                    England

Yeah I didn't think CM Punk vs. Hobbs was good at all. That Frankensteiner was scary to watch. I think Punk should be up against more established people but maybe he has asked to work with the younger guys. I worry he will lose steam quick if he stays against this sort of opponent for long.

My attention wasn't held too much by Rampage but maybe that was because there were so many tag team matches with so many people. Felt a bit repetitive to me by the end.
    BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

Le Champion

Status

I'm hoping that Punk will lose the rust like Christian did but I'm pretty worried he won't. Punk/Hobbs wasn't that great imo and I also think he needs to be facing established guys first before he faces the ones he really wants to.

WAKE UP

Status

No idea what you guys are on about, it was a good match. Frankensteiner was a little scary but no one was hurt badly so it was fine. It made for a good nearfall. Also Hobbs has been wrestling for like 10 years so he's hardly a rookie.

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    No idea what you guys are on about, it was a good match. Frankensteiner was a little scary but no one was hurt badly so it was fine. It made for a good nearfall. Also Hobbs has been wrestling for like 10 years so he's hardly a rookie.
    He is a rookie at this level though. It's one thing to wrestle for 10 years in gyms with weekend warriors, no cameras and small crowds, and it's a whole other to wrestle CM Punk ar Arthur Ashe Stadium. At least, I'd imagine it is.

I thought the match was fine. Wouldn't call it bad but it didn't keep my interest very well and there were some choppy parts. I do think Hobbs came across like a really imposing big man, which is good. No way I'd personally rate it higher than Darby also though.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Christian and JB looked good but otherwise that 6-man was pretty rough going. The Adam Cole vs Luchasaurus stuff was by far the worst wrestling over the 2 shows, just real stinko. Think I'll be skipping the Superkliq stuff going forward.
    I think we watched two different matches. Seriously?

8-man was a decent spotfest. Not everything hit flush or looked good, but they kept it moving and it didn't go too long. Is there a reason why Jack Evans doesn't get featured much these days? Broken down? Just focusing on the younger talent?
    I remember him botching something like three appearances in a row earlier in the year. The guy just doesn't seem in great shape, not for the style he's known for anyway. If anything, since joining the HFO he's been featured way more lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye
    Cole is so fucking over it's ridiculous, excited to see Cole/Jungle Boy on Dynamite too, that match should bang.
    Especially after this week I'm digging this. Jungle Boy with another great showing and bringing a bit more fire and a little less stoicism around Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave
    Can we keep this announce team going forward? Taz and Starks bounce off each other tremendously
    Taz was tremendous all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave
    Inner Circle quickly becoming the most useless stable in AEW. Jericho and Hager get outnumbered by MMA guys, meanwhile Santana and Ortiz are happy go lucky with Lucha Bros, and Sammy is chilling with Fuego before also getting his ass kicked. Top notch group right there.
    Glad someone else noticed this. Big, annoying oversight. It'll probably be referenced next week where Jericho will say something like "It's ok, I know you guys were focusing on your match and Sammy you were writing your cue cards. The Inner Circle respects our individuality."

- Enjoyed Punk/Hobbs, it was a good match but a position I don't think Hobbs is quite ready for yet. But Hook on the other hand...

- Echo what everyone's saying about Cole's entrance, he comes off as such a star. Three very over spots in one entrance.

- Main event sucked. I don't know wtf is going on with this Moxley/Suzuki feud, but from what I'm being shown it's just two guys who want to eat each other. I miss the 2020 Moxley from the Jericho feud. I'm long done with Archer's beating up staff gimmick, it makes no sense there's never any consequence for it and it just looked goofy to me he set up a pile of bodies to break Moxley's fall. Homicide showing up unexpectedly in New York to help Kingston should've been a way bigger deal than it came off. It was meh and I don't think most of the crowd realised it was him when he's got his face covered and in regular clothes. Really weird delayed reaction to him.

WAKE UP

Status

@EC - point about Hobbs is that he isn't green. He knows how to work, he's been in the ring for 10 years, regardless of level. He isn't like Anna Jay who's still counting how many matches she's had

@Marketh - yeah I thought it wasn't good. Cole working evens-stevens with a guy considerably bigger than him and doing weak looking kick combos. The Panama sunrise is always going to be trash from a guy with legs like toothpicks. It's not for me. At least Luchasaurus ate the pin rather than JB

Internet Favorite

Status

Idk fam I don't think we were watching the same match. Hobbs offense looked poor and like EC said, some of the spots looked hella choppy. This doesn't come close to the Darby match at all. I'm not saying you're wrong, everyone has different tastes, but you're definitely in the very, very small minority on that take

WAKE UP

Status

I liked the Darby match more for sure but the general consensus from what I am seeing is people liked the Hobbs match too. Did everything hit clean? Nope. But there was more good than bad

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

I liked the match, but I'm surprised to learn Hobbs has been doing this for 10 years. He's always had "a bit green, but full of potential" vibes.

People's Champion

Status

Only thing I didn't really like in the Hobbs/Punk match was that horrid hurricanrana. I know Hobbs is a big guy but surely he can flip better than that :/

Too much Hardy/OC stuff for one show too, probably alone in that but once is enough to further things, not more.

Thought the main event for Rampage went on for too long. I'm wih Marketh...Mox is missing something at the moment, it does feel like he's going through the motions a little bit, and the sooner this Mox/NJPW stuff ends the better.

#ShadeWinsLOL

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information