YOSHI-HASHI
    SANADA
    Taichi
    Jeff Cobb
    EVIL
    Tama Tonga
    Chase Owens

---
    This is a very top heavy G1 so I don't expect much tricks in regards to booking this year. It'll be a pretty straightforward I believe with Okada winning Block B, beating Cobb on the final day and facing either Naito or O-Khan. I can see them going with O-Khan in a ploy to push him further. He could just be a spoiler to allow Naito to lose out to someone else, mind you.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

Re: NJPW G1 Climax 31!

How come Will Ospreay isn't in it? Doesn't feel like there's anything exciting about this G1.

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Commie Uncle View Post
    How come Will Ospreay isn't in it? Doesn't feel like there's anything exciting about this G1.
    All the non-Japan based foreigners are absent, it's why so many of them are working the US brand right now. Apparently the hassle of talent constantly having to self isolate for every tour (plus Japan's current Covid troubles) were making things difficult logistically, plus it was frustrating for those involved.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

thoughts and prayers are with Zero who no doubt will be watching every B block show for his podcast
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

At least YOSHI-HASHI is in the Block

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I have always said, even bad wrestling I rip on is still wrestling so it's not that bad. B Block will test that faith. It's dire when Taichi is like the 5th worst person in a Block.

I went through the blocks and I see Shingo, Ibushi, O-Khan and Naito, possibly KENTA all alive on the last day. In B Block I see it coming down to Okada, EVIL, Cobb on the last day with it being a Naito/Okada final to set up Okada at the Dome. With the third day and the briefcase and all that they could do any number of things to get there.

Honestly even Block A isn't THAT exciting. We've seen all these guys who are good wrestle each other multiple times at this point. I love Ishii and he'll probably still have the best tournament, but I've seen him and Naito, Ibushi, Shingo, a bunch already. Whether it was elevating a Jr. Heavyweight or bringing in a name from GLEAT they should have brought someone new in at the very least to give fans a hook to follow throughout the tournament which every other year I can remember has had, whether it turned out to be good or not. I like Loa well enough for a tag guy, but come on. Him as the best new guy is practically a joke.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Down 500 people in the same building on night 1 from last year has to be a concerning trend and another sign the pandemic excuses have run dry even to people within the company. It will be interesting to see Okada vs. Tana on B Block night 1 and how it stacks up. Shingo has lost much momentum already as champion and Ishii isn't a main eventer, although their match was very good and obviously the best of the show, it just had no excitement to it really.

They are already setting up Ibushi & Naito as the two favorites to win the block, of course because the company is booked so poorly that means they started off with losses. Ibushi seems determined to lose his first couple of matches and then "miraculously" come back and fight until the final day and Naito they teased yet another knee injury to carry his tournament as he also somehow overcomes those odds to fight through to the last day. I could see them going either way, but my gut still says Naito.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

It seems like there are many thing in this company that are stale. If New Japan can't offer new exciting matches, Gedo should at least try to switch up his booking patterns. A losing streak for the eventual favourites has long been overplayed. I hope they don't go that route as there is no drama in going that way, but I don't see it.

The opening day was fine. The matches that looked the best on paper were the better matches. Shingo and Ishii has their really good hard hitting main event, Naito vs ZSJ had some good counters and sequences but the length lead to it not being quite as good as the main event. The rest were alright. Although O-Khan vs Loa was the worst match of the lot, I thought. I liken it to a scratched dvd that freezes and skips in a way where you're unable to follow what I happening.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I really hope Dick Togo allegedly being involved with the book isn't a reason why things are falling by the wayside.

Regarding the Ibushi potential comeback story and stuff - yeah there's always a comeback story ever year (tournament staple) but I don't see how it doesn't make sense with Ibushi to do it. Guy has been injured and dealt with illness on top of it and wasn't at his best vs Tanahashi. It makes sense to me that if they want to highlight that Ibushi's on a road to recovery. Naito having wrecked knees is just the usual shit and, well, probably isn't too reliant on kayfabe either given his knees are legit fucked no? I just think they're doing the standard fare Naito stuff. I don't know why it's 'poor booking' to have two people, who will be favourites for the block regardless of win/loss on d1, lose on the first day. G1 is where anything can happen right?

Downside to Night 1 is that if Ibushi wins G1 (he won't hopefully) then Yujiro has a shot at the briefcase which is straight up worrying in terms of booking. Don't think it'll happen though. I think my biggest problem with booking at this point is the weird lengths for matches. Ibushi ends up getting the shortest match of the night (i think) whilst certain matches get an extra 5-10 that shouldn't. Maybe protecting Ibushi early on but yeah, that sucks. Ishii vs Shingo, ZSJ vs Naito obviously the best matches of the night. Thought ZSJ actually looked quite good in beating Naito like that. It's up in the air for me how this block pans out and I think the more unpredictability, the better. Thought KENTA would beat Yano and pick up points....

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Naito out of the G1 after 1 match They really have been cursed with injuries this year.

I watched Shingo/Ishii (very good but exactly what you'd expect) and Tanahashi/Okada (a fine rerun) but they didn't feel must-see at all. Impossible to care about anything because A) clap crowds stink and B) 3 nights of WK make the G1 winner meaningless. If I watch 10 matches from this tournament I'd be surprised.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

It's sad for Naito and unfortunate for New Japan. Luckily for them Okada and Tanahashi never take time off for any serious injuries but this is still going to hurt, especially the A Block attendance figures when every little thing helps.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    It's sad for Naito and unfortunate for New Japan. Luckily for them Okada and Tanahashi never take time off for any serious injuries but this is still going to hurt, especially the A Block attendance figures when every little thing helps.
    This is probably a factor in how Okada gets pushed more than Naito tbh.

He's got glass knees at this point. It sucks but I wonder how much is a work? I guess they wouldn't be pulling him if it was? Must've tweaked it really bad during the ZSJ match.

I'm curious what the fuck they have planned for 3 nights of WK. Surely an AEW crossover could be forthcoming? But I don't know if that takes shine away from the things they've spent the last year trying to build. NJPW can't catch a break atm.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I feel for Naito and the company. This tournament was dire in terms of star power already. I'm not his biggest fan by any means but he had that at least and him vs. Shingo is a major loss to the tournament.

Feel like we are in for a rocky road.

p a r t t i m e r

Status
      Country                    Canada

Shouldn’t have looked at the thread hahaha. I’m 4 matches into night 1, loving it so far, but shoulda avoided the injury spoiler. Sad to hear! Never like when anyone gets hurt.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Caught up to Day 10 now. I'll probably find time to get totally caught up within the next few days.

SANADA vs Okada was probably my favourite match of the tournament from what I've seen. Although Zack Sabre Jr vs Shingo gives it a run for its money. Zack's had a really good tournament. I think he's shown that if he's pushed at a certain level (main event), he could probably work

Thread Information