Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NJPW G1 Climax 31!

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: NJPW G1 Climax 31!

It had to have been bad for the main event to play out the way it did. Ibushi doesnt stop for shit and they arent doing a worked injury for the final (I think). Pretty crap if they did.

Okada vs Shingo

Then Okada vs Ospreay?
    Fk knows.

Think if Cobb beat Okada, id have been ready to call Gedo clueless but thank FUCK. Cobb is not main event level although the match with Okada was good for the last ten mins. Just doesnt click with me.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

It's definitely a legit injury. There are far, far better ways to do an injury angle in the main event of one of your biggest events and that's not it. Wrestling will always leave you doubts but I didn't question it once.

Okada will face Shingo and then Ospreay, undoubtedly. I think Okada will leave Wrestle Kingdom with the title as well. He has to at this point. I think it's these moments where they have to rely on him. Ospreay is a little too risky as a draw as a champion. Stability is what is needed and barring any more injuries, Okada will bring that. He's not had the title in a fair while now so it's not a case of "Okada again" for reasonable people.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Ibushi tried to ask for the match to continue but the injury was too bad. IDK if he'll be there at WK. There's a much better chance Shibata makes it. Injury was definitely real. I've heard the reaction from Gedo wasn't at all positive but I can't say for sure.

Cobb's been good in the ring but there's no denying that B Block final number being awful, although the trainwreck that was the A Block final killed off any potential walkup.

I don't mind Okada getting the title because he actually performed well for once during the tournament and it's been built up logically, but it's clear a majority of the fans both native and worldwide are burned out on virtually every main event player outside of Tana. It had to happen because they created a whole title (and if his promo is to be followed, are in the process of creating a THIRD claimed world title in addition to Shingo & Ospreay. What a coincidence the year if 3 WKs there's all the sudden 3 world titles) but the amount of buzz for literally this entire tournament, including a Block that was built almost single handedly on Okada and Cobb's final compared to Shibata doing a 5 minute nostalgia trip is horribly damning.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

It doesn’t say a lot for the company that it took someone coming back from a 4 year absence for a 5 minute exhibition match for them to have a sniff of buzz during a 19 day tournament. Hopefully this is Shibata coming back properly, but not sure there’s anyone in the company I’d dying to see him wrestle.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    It doesn’t say a lot for the company that it took someone coming back from a 4 year absence for a 5 minute exhibition match for them to have a sniff of buzz during a 19 day tournament. Hopefully this is Shibata coming back properly, but not sure there’s anyone in the company I’d dying to see him wrestle.
    I always love this buzz talk ....where do you look for buzz or how do you determine buzz? Reddit, Twitter, on other websites? here on wrestling clique? Meltzer?

im just curious. Im sure NJPW wrestling fans enjoy the product . no?

Also does having buzz actually matter for your personal enjoyment
    Last edited by indyfan; 10-22-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    I always love this buzz talk ....where do you look for buzz or how do you determine buzz? Reddit, Twitter, on other websites? here on wrestling clique? Meltzer?

im just curious. Im sure NJPW wrestling fans enjoy the product . no?

Also does having buzz actually matter for your personal enjoyment
    I'm not Ed, nor HBK2NWO, but I'll take the bait.

You can call it buzz, hype, momentum, chatter, attention... But whatever you label it, if you are connected into the wide wrestling community in almost any way, you can identify it pretty quick if its there. Social media, forums, podcasts... If its outside of a bubble where you expect to see attention paid to that company / show / worker...

Generally speaking, the G1 is probably second to only the Wrestle Kingdom shows for getting attention for New Japan in the wider wrestling community. So it should be a period of a lot of hype / buzz / whatever. This year, its not.

Are fans enjoying? I can't speak for others. But among western fans, there are some commonly-voiced complaints. They include the clap crowds, booking decisions (EVIL, multiple Wrestle Kingdom shows), the crackdown on copyrighted media (meaning putting a GIF of a match up on Twitter can result in a "strike"), and a roster that has rarely been full strength due to a variety of factors. They've reportedly seen a downturn in NJPW World subscriptions from the west, to the point that the English language announcers addressed it on air (apparently).

And Ed is right - there is almost nothing for buzz. I rely on that buzz as I jump in and out of actually watching. that's not to say that the G1 has sucked completely or isn't producing quality matches. But for a variety of reasons, its not getting traction outside of NJ-specific fan bubbles.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I'm not Ed, nor HBK2NWO, but I'll take the bait.

You can call it buzz, hype, momentum, chatter, attention... But whatever you label it, if you are connected into the wide wrestling community in almost any way, you can identify it pretty quick if its there. Social media, forums, podcasts... If its outside of a bubble where you expect to see attention paid to that company / show / worker...

Generally speaking, the G1 is probably second to only the Wrestle Kingdom shows for getting attention for New Japan in the wider wrestling community. So it should be a period of a lot of hype / buzz / whatever. This year, its not.

Are fans enjoying? I can't speak for others. But among western fans, there are some commonly-voiced complaints. They include the clap crowds, booking decisions (EVIL, multiple Wrestle Kingdom shows), the crackdown on copyrighted media (meaning putting a GIF of a match up on Twitter can result in a "strike"), and a roster that has rarely been full strength due to a variety of factors. They've reportedly seen a downturn in NJPW World subscriptions from the west, to the point that the English language announcers addressed it on air (apparently).

And Ed is right - there is almost nothing for buzz. I rely on that buzz as I jump in and out of actually watching. that's not to say that the G1 has sucked completely or isn't producing quality matches. But for a variety of reasons, its not getting traction outside of NJ-specific fan bubbles.

I get what you are saying but imo thats like saying you only check out music thats popular.

Like i love ROH and it has next to no buzz(outside of ROH fan bubbles according to wrestling fans who follow buzz) yet they are producing great stuff. There are podcasts, wrestling media etc that cover it but not to the extent of lets say AEW. Wouldn't it be a better idea to simply check out stuff instead of relying on media, twitter, reddit to make the dive in?

MLW is in the same boat right now. They produce a great show but nothing blow away and im not sure if they ever had anything blow away that got all media attention but from the stuff i have watched in their back catalogue, people are missing out.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

I get what you are saying but imo thats like saying you only check out music thats popular.

Like i love ROH and it has next to no buzz(outside of ROH fan bubbles according to wrestling fans who follow buzz) yet they are producing great stuff. There are podcasts, wrestling media etc that cover it but not to the extent of lets say AEW. Wouldn't it be a better idea to simply check out stuff instead of relying on media, twitter, reddit to make the dive in?

MLW is in the same boat right now. They produce a great show but nothing blow away and im not sure if they ever had anything blow away that got all media attention but from the stuff i have watched in their back catalogue, people are missing out.
    There's only so much time in the world. We don't have time to check out everything. Buzz is a good way for things you're uncertain about to catch your attention. Like indie movies, shows, games, wrestling matches, etc. It's impossible for us to be aware of and have time to check out everything we have passive interest in. Buzz gets us over that hill.

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Commie Uncle View Post
    There's only so much time in the world. We don't have time to check out everything. Buzz is a good way for things you're uncertain about to catch your attention. Like indie movies, shows, games, wrestling matches, etc. It's impossible for us to be aware of and have time to check out everything we have passive interest in. Buzz gets us over that hill.
    I can see that point too but buzz doesn't always equal something you like...like AEW in regards to what i like. I mean its ok but it snot the saving grace the buzz is claiming it is. Strickly imo.

Looking over the G1 card, im sure i can slap on a few matches and most likely enjoy what im watching. In fact i may do that tonight. They have a lot of talent from the little i have seen of them(outside the western talent) 9/10 product something i liked a lot. I can't see how this would be any different.

Status

I'm not sure the music analogy works at all. Because buzz doesn't equate to popularity in any direct way, and that would also insinuate that I don't know anything about what I like and prefer in music in the first place. Even saying music "getting the most buzz" instead of "popular" doesn't really work because where is that "buzz" coming from?

Again I can't speak for other fans, but I am very familiar with New Japan and what its like. I know what its like when its "typical", when its "good" and when its "great". I'm pretty familiar with its positives and negatives, and how those impact my enjoyment. Even "standard" New Japan is good and appeals to me as a fan. It produces some of the best in-ring product in the world. The G1 compresses that into a period of time where there are potentially Match of the Year contenders any given night. Its a period in which there should be buzz. There should be excitement. That doesn't mean its not at all worth the timing and money to watch part or all of the G1. But

Buzz doesn't happen in a vacuum for most fans. A lot of wrestling fans have seen companies that they don't necessarily watch regularly. They probably have an awareness of the product these companies product, and an idea of whether it appeals to them in general. That's true of NJPW, AEW, ROH, WWE, Impact, MLW, the BritWres scene.... So even with buzz, that doesn't mean fans that are aware of the buzz will check something out. And checking something out and even enjoying it doesn't mean you will continue to make the effort to watch regularly - not everything is easy to watch.

The idea of bubbles is also kinda important. I think the majority of wrestling fans are smart enough to recognize this. Its like looking at a pro-NJ, pro-WWE, pro-AEW, or pro-ROH bubble... Most fans would expect those groups to be more positive, less critical, and sometimes even aggressively defensive of those companies. Sometimes to the point of being "stans". How much value to give to the "buzz" that is coming from a rabidly-positive grouping, regardless of what that focus is? Most of us expect that and recognize where its coming from. Similarly, a lot of us learn what bubbles - or even what individuals - we can trust. So when certain sources - groups, individuals, podcasts, etc - are saying "holy shit, this company is doing great things", its buzz that has extra value.

As commie says, there are limits to how much time most of us fans can dedicate to watching. There are limits to how much we want to spend, especially if we are already spending time and money on other companies. And the interest in wrestling can be competing with other interest - not just of that person but in that household. If I'm already paying for 3 or 4 streaming service for other interests, paying for 2-3 wrestling-specific ones starts to get hard to justify. So even with buzz from sources that I trust, that doesn't automatically mean I will check out a company's product at that time. Convenience is a big factor to fans. The harder it is to watch something, the less likely most fans are to make the effort to check it out.

I realized that this question boiled down to ROH for you. Its not like "buzz" and bubbles are unique to wrestling. Like Commie says, fans of almost any form of entertainment do the same.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information