Thread: 2021 NBA Offseason Thread - A Greek Legend

Status
      Country                    United States

NBA 2021 NBA Offseason Thread - A Greek Legend

Somehow, someway, the Milwaukee Bucks are NBA Champs. After blitzing through two seasons basically back to back, the league survived an injury-riddled playoff and now looks for all of its stars to rest up even though several of them are gonna go play in the Olympics now. Still the NBA offseason is always a grand time, so even with no major free agents seemingly hitting the block, there will surely still be rumors and innuendo about big names on the move. Can the Bucks hope to repeat if the field comes back healthier next year? How will they and other contenders reload for the next season?

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

Re: 2021 NBA Offseason Thread - A Greek Legend

I hope Bucks make a big move this offseason because I'd like to see them repeat. Tbh, I would be down for a few years of Bucks supremacy. Maybe even... 6 more years e_e

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

The Bucks were trying to add Bogdonavic last offseason, too. I doubt they make a similar future-for-present move after winning a title. I don't think the desperation is as high. They'll run it back with the same trio, plus some moves on the margins. They'll also anticipate some progression of DiVincenzo. Portis is back as well.

I think there's at least some logic to the idea of not really needing Brook Lopez for a $13 million cap hit. Especially if you're ownership and trying to save some money. If you believe in Giannis as a new-age center who can guard centers effectively, grab offensive rebounds, and blister teams in transition, then Lopez kind of works against that style. I'd be intrigued if they trade him to save money. You can get a backup/traditional big for a lot cheaper.

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    5x FWA Tag Team Champion

2020 North American Sports Poster Of The Year

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    The Bucks were trying to add Bogdonavic last offseason, too. I doubt they make a similar future-for-present move after winning a title. I don't think the desperation is as high. They'll run it back with the same trio, plus some moves on the margins. They'll also anticipate some progression of DiVincenzo. Portis is back as well.

I think there's at least some logic to the idea of not really needing Brook Lopez for a $13 million cap hit. Especially if you're ownership and trying to save some money. If you believe in Giannis as a new-age center who can guard centers effectively, grab offensive rebounds, and blister teams in transition, then Lopez kind of works against that style. I'd be intrigued if they trade him to save money. You can get a backup/traditional big for a lot cheaper.
    I could be wrong but wasnt the issue with Lopez that they werent using him like a traditional big when they should've (at least much more often than they did)? Feels like they prefer someone to stretch the floor then someone to clog up the paint.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Commie Uncle View Post
    I could be wrong but wasnt the issue with Lopez that they werent using him like a traditional big when they should've (at least much more often than they did)? Feels like they prefer someone to stretch the floor then someone to clog up the paint.
    Yes. Lopez was most effective in the two Hawks series games when Giannis was hurt. That's when he got to play traditional center. Otherwise, he's just camping for corner or top-of-key 3s. And he's average/above average at those but certainly not scaring any teams.

But you can't play Lopez as a traditional center with the way Giannis plays. Unless Giannis becomes a better 3-point shooter and better as the ball-handler in pick and rolls (Giannis was mostly the screener in PnRs in the playoffs/finals). Lopez in the paint clogs the space for Giannis to do Giannis stuff, especially in half court.

So you're really just getting a big man to play when Giannis sits (which, surprise-surprise, isn't often in the playoffs). Lopez can fill that void for 6-8 minutes a night, but do you really want to pay $13 million for 6-8 minutes of productive backup big man play and the other 20 minutes is average 3-point shooting? Bobby Portis might be a better floor spacer, for cheaper, and the leftover money could be better spent elsewhere, and find a backup big to play when Giannis sits for like $3 million.

tl;dr, Lopez doesn't fit on this team anymore if Giannis is going to primarily be the screener in pick-and-rolls.
    Last edited by The Golden One; 07-22-2021 at 04:26 PM.

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    5x FWA Tag Team Champion

2020 North American Sports Poster Of The Year

Status

Portis is actually a free agent and we got him for pennies this year. His value is gonna be a lot higher now. Maybe if we ship off Brook the money emerges to re-sign him, but hard to say. That whole position might need to be re-tooled, but so far the Bucks F.O. has done a good job finding roleplayers around this team so we'll see. Definitely wouldn't shock me if they just wanna run it back with Brook-Giannis-Khris-Jrue-Donte but I'm sure they're not stupid and know the East is gonna get better with a healthier Brooklyn, a more experienced Atlanta and New York, and a potentially revamped Philly squad, not even to mention the Finals competition could be tougher next year as well. I'm hopeful they'll be sniffing around for ways to improve this team despite the result cause everyone knows they caught some lucky breaks to get here.

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

The Lakers are reportedly acquiring Russ. Can’t wait to see how him and LeBron work together in a non-Olympics capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

-.-

Status
      Country                    Turkey

We literally passed on a Kyle Lowry regen the year Lowry is most likely leaving. Yikes.
    what exactly is a dream?
    what exactly is a joke?

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    We literally passed on a Kyle Lowry regen the year Lowry is most likely leaving. Yikes.
    Awful, just awful. I was literally just talking about how much we’ve regressed in so little time.

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

-.-

Status
      Country                    Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Mitch View Post
    Awful, just awful. I was literally just talking about how much we’ve regressed in so little time.

Giannis taking his revenge for 2019 by just existing and living in Masai's head rent-free that he tries to grab a new Giannis whenever he thinks one is available.
    Last edited by Oz; 07-29-2021 at 10:30 PM.
    what exactly is a dream?
    what exactly is a joke?

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

The Grizzlies are so smart. Trading Jonas to take on Adams and Bledsoe's horrible contracts and move 7 spots up to take a guy nearly nobody had as even a top 20 pick in the top 10. Love it. Love how they're setting Ja up for success. Surely in the great market that is Memphis he knows that we'll never lose him so we can afford to make moves like this.

Steven Adams is the Grizzlies Center.

Status

Fuck yeah, got Bobby to come back on a championship discount. That dude's gonna be a fucking hero in Milwaukee this year.

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

Status

Alright Zero I need you to come in here and tell me it's okay to have Grayson Allen on my team

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

Thread Information