Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cowards Premier League 2021/22 Discussion Thread

Status

Re: Premier League 2021/22 Discussion Thread

so we've officially asked the league to postpone the North London Derby. I expect it to be denied because of cours it would. The League has announced... that they will make an announcement tomorrow.

I don't love the request but its kinda understandable. The league has postponed quite a few matches there were down to more than just COVID absences. We have those. But probably not enough for the league, which is why I expect the request to be denied. We have AFCON absences and the Xhaka suspension. But we have a load of other injuries. Cedric went down yesterday and looks to be out for awhile, but 3 other players came out of the match yesterday with injury concerns. The standard response to absence concerns is "play the kids", which I get... but we also already have the youngest squad in the league this year.

Apparently Spurs are angry and from what I see from their supporters online, so are their fans. So that's fun!
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Non-Binary Finery

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Hope we don't get it postponed tbh. Not fair on Leeds who had way worse injuries and absences than us and it got to go ahead

WWE 2022 - Now in the BTB Section

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    Hope we don't get it postponed tbh. Not fair on Leeds who had way worse injuries and absences than us and it got to go ahead
    That's a fundamental issue. Its not fair. The league has fucked it up by not having a set policy, so any given situation, you can find worse situations that didn't result in a postponement and lesser situations that did. It gets so messy to differentiate between COVID-related and other absences. And as at least one manager has pointed out, having a match postponed and then facing a significantly different squad than what you would have faced a few weeks before - which is possible since we are in the transfer window - makes it even more unfair.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Game called off for what looks like 1 Covid positive player. There’s no other word for it than cheating and the majority of the league have been at it. Arsenal have 17 players out on loan, 2 of which were agreed days ago, they had enough players to play the game, just not enough of the players Arteta has faith in.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Status

Not a fan. Like I said yesterday, its not all fair how they've gone case by case and there is no consistency or opacity. It looks like shit.

Saw one journalist reporting that the league decision was not based simply on current cases (or case) but that Arsenal have had almost a dozen cases in the past 3 weeks, rushed players back, and that is possibly what is leading to some of the injuries. We also haven't had a match postponed yet based on our cases, and we were forced to play the season opener against Brentford despite significant absences.

I did a bit of curiosity digging, and the news reports for previous postponements don't seem to specify exact numbers of current positives in most reports. I saw one postponement where the club with the issues had 2 current cases nd presumption of others, along with a number of injuries. So I'm not gonna make any effort to defend the League's decision - or even Arsenal requesting it - I guess its not out line completely with what has already been done. Still sucks.

In fun news, Everton are losing 2-0 to Norwich. Rafa the Gaffa is gonna be gone soon, methinks. Everton are a glorious mess of a club.
    Last edited by Big Papa; 01-15-2022 at 12:12 PM.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Yeah Rafa is a goner.

As for the Man Utd game, frustrating is what i'll leave it at. No disrespect to Villa but a Man Utd side should not be going 2-0 up and only drawing the game. Greenwood and Elanga both had very good chances to score and that possibly cost in the long run. The number of teams Digne got in behind Dalot was stupid too. Some of this will fall on Ralf too. Not making the right changes at the right time for yet another match. This just proves we still need that DMC/MC. Go and get Zakaria on the cheap, or go and get Kamara...we need some freshness in there.
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Comeback King

Status

Just for maximum troll points I'd love it Everton hired Ole
    WWE: The New Vision| Former BTB Overlord | Order's Interviews

BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Agent Rafa destroying Everton from the inside. You love to see it.

Status

So Rafa is still being paid by Liverpool, ya?

Seriously, its hard to lay too much of this at the feet of Rafa the Gaffa. He absolutely could have done better but it sure sounds like there are some serious internal issues at the club. I'm nots sure the next manager is going to sort too many of them out, but at least maybe the players buy in and perform a bit more.

From a neutral perspective, the United collapse was great fun. Gerrard is doing better with that Villa squad than i expected and they were purring in the 2nd half. Coutinho could turn out to be a great addition. I'm not convinced based off his first appearance but at least he made an impact.

Not sure if the furor over the NLD postponement has died down or I just stopped paying attention. It was confirmed after the league made the decision that Arsenal have a 2nd positive case. So on level with what caused at least one other postponement around Christmas. And it looks like AFCoN absences were taken into account with other postponement decision, and that the Xhaka absence was not considered. I'm not sure Arsenal have gotten special treatment here, but that hasn't stopped some pundits and journalists from spinning things. I kinda go back and forth between amused and annoyed when I was reading some of it. Arsenal forced it last minute and fucked over the fans who travelled? Arsenal requested it 48 hours out, the league waited another 24 hours to decide, and the vast majority of fans are within London. Its disrespectful to Tottenham? The same Tottenham that basically told UEFA they weren't playing a match after Rennes and supporters had already travelled, forcing a postponement and were so respectful they communicated it to Rennes over an "official announcement" on social media. The vast majority of those screaming about this one have said zero about other postponements, including one that was forced by 1 actual positive case and a statistically impossible volume of "false negatives". Arsenal should be forced to play reserves and academy kids? Sure, that's fine and I'm not against it at all, but why wasn't that same requirement applied to the other postponements that were requested and granted?
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Burnley have asked for their game against Watford this week, that was already a rearranged game from December, to be postponed.

Can't get relegated if you never finish the season I suppose.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Comeback King

Status

Re: The Cowards Premier League 2021/22 Discussion Thread

It is really becoming a farce now. There is going to be such a problem with rearranging these games.
    WWE: The New Vision| Former BTB Overlord | Order's Interviews

BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

Status

It appears that everyone should thank Arsenal. After what I quickly counted as 13 postponed fixtures since December 17th, it was Arsenal requesting and being granted a postponement for a similar number of COVID absences and injuries as other clubs had for postponements that finally caused a media outcry and now maybe the league will be pushed into some kind of actual set policy instead of going case-by-case. Or take into account previously-granted postponement requests. The fixture pile up is going to be unworkable.

In some fun news, Gabon has sent back Aubamayeng and Mario Lemina to the respective clubs. Both have been out with heart-related post-COVID concerns, but apparently had an incident where the two players went out partying with an assistant manager without permission and returned to the team's hotel with some women who weren't granted entry, and started arguing with security. Lemina has denied this happened and rage quit his national team career over it.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Teams with covid outbreaks shouldn't be playing point blank unless a precedent has been sent.

The SPFL forces teams to field youth players in the event. Maybe the PL will do that?

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    Teams with covid outbreaks shouldn't be playing point blank unless a precedent has been sent.

The SPFL forces teams to field youth players in the event. Maybe the PL will do that?
    They could do so many things that would be better than what is currently being done. Lots of other leagues have no postponement policy like this - Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, etc. Then again, Italy has its own absurdities when it comes to COVID. The FA Cup's policy was "just fucking play". But the EPL also has a vaccination problem - just saw today that 16% of players in the EPL don't have their first dose. That is going to be a factor in infections, impact of infections, recoveries, etc.

The issue at this point is that they've established and gone with this "we'll consider everything" policy. COVID-positive cases is only one factor. So you have postponements requested and granted with 2 or less current positive cases, like Arsenal, Wolves, and Burnley. They consider potential other cases in the squad and the impact on those who have recently recovered (apparently a big factor in the Arsenal-Tottenham postponement). They take into account non-COVID injuries and absences (including AFCON). I don't believe they take into account previous postponements - so one club can pile up a huge volume of matches to be played, as Burnley are heading towards here. The real problem is that they've been using this "case by case" policy now for like 15 postponements in the last month. So switching at any given point, while a good idea in some ways, will fuck over some side who has as good or better case for postponement as those that have already been granted and will be told no. Even attaching more considering to the singular number of current positive cases can't really be certain, as Liverpool's absurd 10 "false positives" 2 weeks ago shows.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Really nice to see the footballing media have almost the same reaction to Burnley having another match postponed as they had to Arsenal being granted the same request based on the same criteria.

Listening to a podcast talk about Everton today and holy fuck, is that club a mess. They have the 7th highest payroll in the Prem and Moshiri has spent something like 500m, which can't continue without the club falling afoul of FFP rules. But its just a mess in terms of how its run. I mean, Benitez won power struggles with the Director of Football (Brands) and a player (Digne) and was then fired. Brands left in early December but Digne was literally just sold and he was one of Everton's better players, and obviously Rafa's tenure was already in question at that point. Complete and total lack of planning that is kinda impressive... in a negative way. They apparently don't have a head of medical right now, which makes sense for a club with a bad injury problem. Even the managers they are considering - Roberto Martinez, Wayne Rooney and I think I saw - come from vastly differing lines of thinking. Martinez is a known commodity. Rooney is an unknown, doing really well in a bad situation but really unproven as a manager. But at the end of the day, whoever they bring in is going to get 6-8 months and be gone anyway. That was the joke on the podcast - Martinez doesn't want to leave Belgium before the WC but if he waits until December, the Everton job will probably be available again anyway. Its kinda forgotten now, but results for Ancelotti had fallen off and he was under some amount of pressure before he let for Madrid, where is showing the caliber of manager he is (honestly, doing better than I expected).
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Yeah Everton are all over the place at the moment, both on the pitch and off it (bit like United I guess).
    I don't know who they're gong to get in but you're absolutely right in saying that there's a high probibility that the job will be available again in a matter of months - couple of years time. If Martinez really wants to go back there but still stay with Belgium for the WC then he'd be absolutely fine waiting.
    Rooney, as good as well as he's doing at Derby, would be a big punt at this point. It would be a bit like Lampard when he went to Chelsea. He did well at Derby but then his inexperience shone though when he was at Chelsea. shows that just because you were a top player you don't necessarily go on to become an instant hit when you transition to a manager and go to a big club. Lampard's apparently also in the frame for this job btw.
    Can you imagine a team of Rooney as manager and big Duncan Ferguson as assistant in charge at Everton though?! Looks like the latter will become interim manager again while they sort out the new man.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Brighton sure love to draw a game. More than 50% of their games have ended in a draw. If only they could sign a decent striker.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l