Thread: NJPW Summer Struggle 2021 & Wrestle Grand Slam In Tokyo Dome

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Summer Struggle 2021 & Wrestle Grand Slam In Tokyo Dome

NJPW Summer Struggle in Sapporo - Day 1 - 10/07/2021
    Kota Ibushi & Master Wato vs. Yota Tsuji & Yuya Uemura

CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii & YOH) vs. BULLET CLUB (Dick Togo & EVIL)

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Rocky Romero & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. BULLET CLUB (El Phantasmo, KENTA & Yujiro Takahashi)

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & SHO) vs. The United Empire (Great-O-Khan & Jeff Cobb)

Suzuki-gun (DOUKI, Taichi, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Zack Sabre Jr.) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, SANADA, Shingo Takagi & Tetsuya Naito)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match: El Desperado (c) vs. Taiji Ishimori

NJPW Summer Struggle in Sapporo - Day 2 - 11/07/2021
    SHO & Yuya Uemura vs. Suzuki-gun (El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru)

CHAOS (Rocky Romero & Tomohiro Ishii) & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. BULLET CLUB (El Phantasmo, EVIL & Taiji Ishimori)

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Yota Tsuji vs. BULLET CLUB (KENTA & Yujiro Takahashi)

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & YOH) vs. The United Empire (Great-O-Khan & Jeff Cobb)

Kota Ibushi & Master Wato vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI & Shingo Takagi)

IWGP Tag Team Title Match: Dangerous Tekkers (Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.) (c) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA & Tetsuya Naito)

NJPW Wrestle Grand Slam In Tokyo Dome - 25/07/2021

Rest Of The Card TBA

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match: BULLET CLUB (El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori) (c) vs. Mega Coaches (Rocky Romero & Ryusuke Taguchi)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match: El Desperado (c) vs. Robbie Eagles

Kazuchika Okada vs. Jeff Cobb

IWGP Tag Team Title Match: Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA & Tetsuya Naito) (c) vs. Dangerous Tekkers (Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.)

IWGP Heavyweight Title Match: Shingo Takagi vs Kota Ibushi

Last edited by MC 16; 07-14-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: NJPW Summer Struggle 2021 & Wrestle Grand Slam In Tokyo Dome

Ibushi is out of the main event due to aspiration pneumonia. Tanahashi has replaced him.

Think WGS is ongoing now, havent had a chance to check yet.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

Top 2 matches went 40 minutes, as per

Pandemic and injuries/illness playing a big part in it, but this has to be hands down the worst year in New Japan's 49 year history
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The horror.

The show was actually really good. The opener was fine. You can skip it and lose nothing. Eagles winning the Junior Title was a cool moment that the fans popped for briefly. The finish was in tune with the rest of the match which was built around leg submission. Eagles' selling was solid for a junior heavyweight match. Cobb vs Okada was really good as well. Okada being thrown around is always fun to watch and Cobb who's improved a lot since his first run was great at doing that. There was some nice flow to the wrestling as well, with counters and strikes being mixed in to break up the rest of it. Okada looked motivated which is a positive. The tag team match was surprisingly good. They paced themselves really well, making good use of the tag format which meant less prolonged Skull Ends and bad figure fours. Zack Sabre Jr had a knee injury so LIJ attacking it was the main story of the match. The main event was as good as you'd expect under the circumstances. Probably not a MOTYC in any other year but I think they have a better match in another year also. Good show. Worth watching imo

Urgent exit required.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Top 2 matches went 40 minutes, as per

Pandemic and injuries/illness playing a big part in it, but this has to be hands down the worst year in New Japan's 49 year history
    By what metric? Certainly nowhere near the years of NJPWMMA by Inoki imo. If anything, this year's just a notable downturn because there's been an arguable golden age for NJPW over the last 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    The horror.

The show was actually really good. The opener was fine. You can skip it and lose nothing. Eagles winning the Junior Title was a cool moment that the fans popped for briefly. The finish was in tune with the rest of the match which was built around leg submission. Eagles' selling was solid for a junior heavyweight match. Cobb vs Okada was really good as well. Okada being thrown around is always fun to watch and Cobb who's improved a lot since his first run was great at doing that. There was some nice flow to the wrestling as well, with counters and strikes being mixed in to break up the rest of it. Okada looked motivated which is a positive. The tag team match was surprisingly good. They paced themselves really well, making good use of the tag format which meant less prolonged Skull Ends and bad figure fours. Zack Sabre Jr had a knee injury so LIJ attacking it was the main story of the match. The main event was as good as you'd expect under the circumstances. Probably not a MOTYC in any other year but I think they have a better match in another year also. Good show. Worth watching imo
    The rambo was pretty bad compared to the dome Rambo this year which I thought had some solid story threads running through it. This was just a random mishmash of well... shit? Just wasn't into it all which is weird as the rambo is usually good fun.

Kind of a big fan of Rocky/Taguchi as a team. They're like the odd men out nowadays. Fun match for what it was. Decent ending.

I thought Eagles vs Despy was good fun and it was nice to see Hiromu. Would rather ELP was involved but is what it is atm.

Okada did his best against Cobb and I agree that he looked motivated. Not big on Cobb still but solid match. Okada getting up for it just in time for the G1 I see.... I half expected him to challenge for the belt later and I half expected an Ospreay appearance. Got neither.

I do think the tagger went for far too long but I think the ZSJ/Taichi outcome is the right one if they're going to get Sanada/Naito back in for another match whilst drafting in the dream pairing of Goto/HASHI. Not sure people will get past the way the tag division is booked in order to enjoy it enough however.

The main was the best you were going to get from Tana and Shingo given the short notice. Absolutely fine match, nothing wrong with it at all and agreed that it's worth checking out. Good win for Shingo and Tana showed he can still hang. Tana's Ibushi tribute was a nice touch too in the match. That's Shingo now beaten both Okada and Tanahashi recently which is kind of big for him.

Not looking forward to Shingo vs EVIL at the Seibu dome. They really, really cannot give the belt to EVIL and Shingo's already promoing like that's the case (that EVIL cant be champ,) I love that he shat on EVIL's reign. EVIL not winning may leave Shingo as potential champ for the Dome. Some fuckery is going to happen booking-wise I guess but I can see Ibushi getting a shot at Shingo post G1 in order to set up an Ibushi-Okada match for the Dome. Of course, I've got Okada slotted in to win the G1 atm. They need to fit in Ospreay somehow too so fuck knows what is going to happen.

Eagles vs Hiromu, LIJ vs Tekkers vs CHAOS will be fun too. Got the Super Jr taggers to look forward to now even if the teams look sort of whack. Has to be R3K winning I guess.
    Last edited by Shake; 07-26-2021 at 06:51 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

World Champion

Status

Im not that into NJPW but im a real big fan of Cobb. I can't get why people aren't more hyped for him. I love his work. Especially in PWG and most of his ROH stuff.
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

[be more kind]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Im not that into NJPW but im a real big fan of Cobb. I can't get why people aren't more hyped for him. I love his work. Especially in PWG and most of his ROH stuff.
    I've not seen enough of him post-Covid to see if much has improved, but once you've seen him a few times I feel like you get the same match every time. And he's not got the charisma for the main event spots he was put in.

I imagine the silent heavy role he's got right now suits him much better.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    I've not seen enough of him post-Covid to see if much has improved, but once you've seen him a few times I feel like you get the same match every time. And he's not got the charisma for the main event spots he was put in.

I imagine the silent heavy role he's got right now suits him much better.

Im not sure i agree fully with the you ve seen one match of his..you ve seen em all. I mean watch his match in PWG vs Richochet and then watch his match vs Ospreay in ROH(SCOH) Both opponents are high flyers yet he has extremely different matches with them. Then look at his match vs Shane Taylor.

But then again i m not bothered too much by repetitiveness. so maybe i just see past it.

Urgent exit required.

Status

It not a bit weird to comment on repetitiveness whilst at the same time trying to tout a guy as not being repetitive?

There's nothing to Cobb in NJPW beyond being a guy capable of feats of strength really. He's just another guy getting the usual powerhouse booking in NJPW. He's the powerhouse enforcer of his group and that's all he really is. A solid name to beat (given aforementioned feats of strength) for some of the NJPW guys on the roster needing a boost/heat. He's not terrible but he's not great either. Is what it is.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    It not a bit weird to comment on repetitiveness whilst at the same time trying to tout a guy as not being repetitive?

There's nothing to Cobb in NJPW beyond being a guy capable of feats of strength really. He's just another guy getting the usual powerhouse booking in NJPW. He's the powerhouse enforcer of his group and that's all he really is. A solid name to beat (given aforementioned feats of strength) for some of the NJPW guys on the roster needing a boost/heat. He's not terrible but he's not great either. Is what it is.
    im not sure i follow your first sentence.

I guess different strokes for different folks. i find hes a superb pro wrestler. I kind of wish hed of stayed in ROH. But i know hes super into being in NJPW. is what it is
    Last edited by indyfan; 07-26-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Tbh I think I’ve seen more versatility from Jeff Cobb’s career than I have Kazuchika Okada’s.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Urgent exit required.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Tbh I think I’ve seen more versatility from Jeff Cobb’s career than I have Kazuchika Okada’s.

Both quite different careers but interesting view nonetheless. Shame I'm really only talking about NJPW and their roles within.

Don't need to change much if you're the best on a regular basis though anyway so.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    im not sure i follow your first sentence.

I guess different strokes for different folks. i find hes a superb pro wrestler. I kind of wish hed of stayed in ROH. But i know hes super into being in NJPW. is what it is
    Mostly myself fannying about tbh. Doesn't matter really but no point in citing examples/pushing against the idea of Cobb being repetitive if youre just gonna be like "i dont mind the repetitiveness" anyway lol.

Cobb's fine for what he is in NJPW. He's not bad, he's just apt for his role in the same way Elgin was. I don't get particularly excited to see him tbh but he's also not someone who I am going to be offended at watching.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

[be more kind]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post

Cobb's fine for what he is in NJPW. He's not bad, he's just apt for his role in the same way Elgin was. I don't get particularly excited to see him tbh but he's also not someone who I am going to be offended at watching.
    This is spot on. He has a ceiling, but can fill a role nicely.

WAKE UP

Status

Cobb has a tonne of legit skills (was an Olympic athlete) but chooses to wrestle as a heavyweight spot wrestler. He has some cool spots but no ring-smarts, can't put a match together. There's a limited shelf life for guys like that.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Cobb has significantly improved since his heel turn. He's probably been one of the only true highlights of the company outside the 6 man belts. Okada didn't put in much effort and continues to be shit all around this year.

I highly enjoyed both singles titles matches on this show. I was low on Eagles as another shitty foreigner at first but between his run last year in BOSH and this title win he's quickly become my favorite. One of the only people in that division that actually works a logical and complete match. Compare that shitty Despe vs. Yoh match to this and it's a world of difference. I thought the main event was extremely strong and significantly better than what we would have gotten with Ibushi. Shameful to even think of having Tanahashi in the awful handcuff battle royal. When he hit the Kami Goye and the HFF, that was honestly the ONLY moment in this entire show they made you forget how terrible this company is, all the bullshit we have gone through watching it, all their screwups and how cold this whole show was. That to me deserves a lot of praise for a match on less than a day build. Of course they had EVIL get the next title shot. Wonderful crash back to reality.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Shingo getting covid. Probably gonna be a photo finish if he's able to defend the title at this show or else he will be stripped of the title.

Thread Information