Thread: UFC 264 - Poirier vs. McGregor III

Bookerman

Status
      Country                    Europe

UFC 264 - Poirier vs. McGregor III

Been a long time since there was a post in this section, let alone a thread, but what better time than now!

Watched the press conference from last night a little earlier today, and personally thought McGregor had delved into self parody (though I guess many may say he'd long since passed that point) and came across pretty cringey, weak and desperate in his attempts to rile up Poirier, as if he could just wind the clock back and get into Dustins head before the fight like he did in 2014. Maybe he's doing it in order to rile himself up, but I don't think it makes much of a difference tomorrow night and I see things playing out quite similarly to how the fight in January went down.

Lot's of interesting fights on the card though, and I'll probably end up sitting up late to watch it. I've found myself picking and choosing events to watch over the last year or so with my MMA viewing becoming far more casual, so increasingly, I'm seeing names on cards of fighters I'm not familiar with, but recognise the majority on this one! Carlos Condit has been a personal favourite of mine over the years so I'll be pumped for that, Wonderboy is fighting Gilbert Burns and the Michel Pereira v. Niko Price fight should be batshit crazy too. On that pic of the fight card I posted, Sean O'Malley was supposed to be fighting Louis Smolka, but Kris Moutinho is a replacement, making his UFC debut, I think.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: UFC 264 - Poirier vs. McGregor III

I guess it's easy to say that McGregor will lose after last time but MMA is a weird sport and he can easily bounce back with a win. He hasn't been the same since the Khabib fight and this could be a big fight for him in regaining what he has lost or going further in the fall from grace that he has been going through.

The fight I'm most looking forward to is Wonderboy vs Burns. There is something about Wonderboy that I just love watching.

The Maniacal Martyr

Status
      Country                    United States

Other than the Poirier McGregor fight (which by the way I think McGregor will win, could be a big boost back in ranking contention), I'm also looking forward to O'Malley vs Smolka as well, that could be a good sleeper fight.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by BMJ Maniax View Post
    Other than the Poirier McGregor fight (which by the way I think McGregor will win, could be a big boost back in ranking contention), I'm also looking forward to O'Malley vs Smolka as well, that could be a good sleeper fight.
    The card is wrong, dude. WB pointed out O'Malley is fighting Kris Moutinho instead.

It's unreal how much Poirier destroyed McGregor at the press conference. It's crazy to think back to their first fight and the differences now. Dustin is a lot less awkward and more confident but I'm not entirely sure he's got the tools to do this again. It seems McGregor is somewhat motivated and not taking him lightly. I'm not sure how to call this but I can see Dustin getting a sub this time when both guys get tired. He might really want to KO him again though and that is somewhat dangerous. Dustin by decision or sub, I guess.

Wish McGregor had left SBG. Kavanaugh seems like a good coach but he lucked out on McGregor.

Looking forward to Tuivasa vs Hardy as well as Condit's fight. Other fights on the card are decent. Can tell it's a big fight card with the names here.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Liv Forever

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Conor hasn't been the same since he stepped away from MMA and being paid peanuts and made some of that Boxing money. But he seems motivated again. Respectful McGregor didn't feel right, and I think people forget just how crisp his Boxing was in the second Poirer fight. Its just that getting away from everything that got him to where he was and just focusing on Boxing didn't work in MMA.

Love him or hate him MMA is definitely more fun with him around.

This is such a stacked card though. Conor v Dustin is guaranteed fireworks. Wonderboy v Burns should be good. HW slugfest. Condit. Du Plessis seems like a genuine prospect. Periera v Price should be a crazy fight. Even Yana v Aldana could be quite good. Good to see Hall finally getting a fight again too. Its absurd how hard everyone ducks the guy.

To be crass for a moment though, Jessica Eye must be sucking Dana's dick to always get on McGregor cards.
    Last edited by ETE; 07-10-2021 at 08:56 AM.

Liv Forever

Status

The commentary in the UFC feels so unnatural thesedays. From Anik doing nothing but shilling the sponsors, constantly. To their over the top reactions every time there's a finish because there's a camera on them, and even honestly them all referring to each other by their initials constantly is bugging me. Just all feels so manufactured.

Liv Forever

Status

Well...ummm...okay.

Now what? Do they go for the 4th fight once Conor is healthy? Does Dustin wait around for that? There's no clear cut contender at LW right now, no contender at all really outside Dustin. Can see Gaethje getting a TS if Dustin waits on Conor but that would be bullshit considering Justin is coming off a loss and hasn't fought in about a year now.

All that said Conor is DONE. Dustin was easily winning that fight and demolished him in that first round on the feet and on the ground. Conor's injury saved him from being finished early in the second via whatever the hell Dustin wants.

Judges continue to value TD's that go nowhere waaaay too highly. I dont see how Burns beat Wonderboy. The majority of that fight was on the feet and WB controlled most of that. Dropped him a couple of times, backed him up consistently, had him hurt multiple times. I dont see how a TD is scored so much higher than a Knockdown. It'd be one thing if Burns ragdolled WB for 14 minutes and got dropped a couple of times. But it was literally 2 takedowns and a few minutes of stalling on the ground that scored him a win.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The kicks through Poirier off for a little bit, but once Poirier started to fire back, it was mostly Poirier leading that fight. The injury was unfortunate. It was looking to be a really good fight, plus the injury itself could be devastating to Conor. Maybe they have a 4th, if they can.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Irene Aldana looked great. If she can get this weight issue under control, she could give Nunes a good fight I think.

McGregor is done. That was just sad to watch. Dustin has made adjustments since the second fight whilst McGregor hasn't made enough. Dustin would've steamrolled him in the rest of that fight. 10-8 first round too

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Bookerman

Status
      Country                    Europe

McGregor should’ve never been put in the position he was post-fight - unless he demanded he get to speak, which is probably likely - but regardless, he showed himself to be a completely trash human with that meltdown. It’s in moments like that I think you see the true character of someone, and that was ugly to watch/listen to. Karma, irony, whatever; he got what he deserved after the comments he made during the week and after the ceremonial weigh-in. If anything, for him, the break may have been the best outcome, because he was on his way to a one sided beating.

He said during the week he didn’t count submissions on his record; went for a guillotine.
    He said during the week Dustin was leaving on a stretcher; Conor left on a stretcher.

Gonna be some coke binge now.

——

Fair play to Kris Moutinho too. He took a hell of a beating from O’Malley, but he’s no doubt earned himself a few more fights in the UFC after his performance. The Ryan Hall fight was fun/bizarre while it lasted, and the Pereira Moonsault into mount was insane. I thought the Greg Hardy knockout was going to be the most satisfying result of the night until the McGregor injury. Not sure how wise it was for Tuivasa to do multiple shoeys out of (I assume) strangers shoes in the middle of a pandemic, but if you’re downing beer out of a sweaty shoe, I suppose you’re not going to be concerned about too much

Status

I've mostly ignored the build up but watched the fight. McGregor was getting fucked up before his leg broke. Reading about some of the stuff he said in the lead up just seemed typical, but apparently he made a comment to Poirier post-fight in the cage that Dustin referenced post-fight. Clip of it came out and apparently its McGregor saying he is going to murder Poirier and his wife in their sleep. Now that's losing with dignity and poise.

What a fuckwit. McGregor should be done but he's always been able to do and say whatever he wants without consequence. Now that's he a sad shadow and basically just words, maybe the UFC Will hold him accountable for making an actual death threat?

Just fucking kidding, they won't.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Urgent exit required.

Status

I don't know why you'd expect to take action on a death threat that's been made on impulse and obviously isn't a serious death threat. If Dustin and Jolie both suddenly died then yeah who's number one suspect?

Aside from that, this is MMA. It's hard to take that shit seriously when fighters are saying shit like this all the time. Luke Rockhold was telling Bisping he's gonna straight kill him and how much he hated him. Chael Sonnen has said countless things - he's gonna home invade Wanderlei Silva and film it. It's just trash talk and it means nothing. Anyone who thinks that was serious needs to get a grip. Should he be saying things like that? No. McGregor's been exposed - I don't think this is new for him, I think he's always been like this but we've never seen it because he's used to winning.

He won't get punished by the UFC for that because, quite frankly, there's nothing to punish from their end. He gets away with rape/sexual assault allegations that alot of people know are true. He'll get away with this easily.
    Last edited by Shake; 07-13-2021 at 07:13 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Punishing him over a death threat that he has no intention of delivering on would be silly. He was just reacting poorly to the situation.

Thread Information