Thread: No Man's Sky

Status

No Man's Sky

No Man's Sky

No Man's Sky is a 2016 game that was originally released on PC but is now available across all platforms. Why is it relevant enough now to post a thread about? Well, its probably not but I've been playing it again lately and figured a thread to post for myself is probably better than spamming up the What You're Playing thread .

NMS is best remembered as a massive, overhyped disappointment. Which is kinda was, but in a weird way. it was basically overhyped to some degree, compounded by massive levels of expectation from the gaming community. Expectations is could never have lived up to and most certainly didn't. Many of the game features and modes that has been shown in trailers were absent. It was a beautiful game at launch, and the procedurally-generating worlds a really impressive mechanic, but it was kinda boring.

Since then, developer Hello Games has continually released updates that added in many of those features and they've basically done it without hype. Not wanting a repeat of the launch hype, Hello doesn't give a lot of info in advance.

So is it an exploration game? A storyline game? Base building? Multi-player? PVP? Yes. Its a bit of everything. Its a pretty low-key game and you will probably spend more time admiring the vistas than almost any other game out there.

I got it on PC back in about 2017 and played a little but it was kinda boring. Heard good things recently, and decided to try it again after seeing it on Game Pass on X Series.

Exploration

The core function of the game is simply exploring. You start out crashed on a random planet and need to repair your equipment and ship. You can then move on to other planets and to other systems. The planets are procedurally-generated (basically giving the game pieces that it puts together to create the planets) so they are unique save to save. There is over 18 quintillion planets available in the game. Planets have different climates, geography, resources, flora and fauna.

You can move between systems by warping in your ship. Each system has one or more planets, and some have moons as well. The majority have a space station, which allows you to trade, buy gear upgrades, and also have portals. The portals are really helpful for getting around - you can set one up at your base and move very quickly from base to space station.

The planets are highly varied in type, but there are some archetypes that are absent (truly jungle planets seem absent, for example) and most aren't that varied individually. So you will have a snow planet, a very rugged mountain planet, and a desert planet.... but not all three on the same planet. Planets with extremes - heat, cold, or toxic environments - tax your equipment and are harder to stay on for long periods due to that. Some have storms that can basically insta-kill you. Resources very between planets and that's part of what drives you to explore.

Storyline

The main storyline is around 30 hours, give or take. its got some interesting backstory lore that you can read up on if you take the time to explore ancient ruins. I can't imagine my rush through the storyline, given all the things you can do, but its an option there if you want. You do need to advance in the story to some degree to unlock certain things.

Base Building

One of the most fun aspects of the game, you can start base building pretty earlier but its pretty basic stuff. The "good stuff" becomes available a few quests into the main storyline, where you gain access to The Anomaly, which is kinda like a mobile space station. Although the regular space stations sell upgrades to your gear, ship, etc, its at the Anomaly that you an buy blueprints. Most of these are bought with nanites, but the ones for your base are purchased with salvaged data. You will also get them as loot and you create a main computer to establish your base, and it will decode some blueprints for you as well.

Bases can be standard on-ground, above-ground, below-ground, underwater or even space. You can have short-throw portals so you could bury your base and have that as the only above-ground piece. One of the tools you get early is a terrain manipulator, so you could even create your own island.

It takes quite a few salvaged data to get most of what you need for a base. They are found buried on planets. If you find a temperate planet with lots of resources, spending an hour or two running around to gather the data can get you enough.

Resources & Money

One of the ways the game pushes you do different things is by having different forms of currency. There are credits, nanites (interesting backstory), quicksilver, and the black market tainted metal. You actually get nanites and credits for exploring, so you can make money even if you just going from galaxy to galaxy. There are plenty of ways to grind money too - whether its seeking out valuable resources, taking valuable items from ancient ruins, finding abandoned ships and selling them, farming (literally) resources....

Starships

So its a space exploration game... obviously the ship is a key dynamic. You start out with a shitty ship. You can buy better ships when you can afford it, or you can finding abandoned and damaged ships that you can claim. Repairing them takes a bit of effort, and the better they are, the more its going to take.

The different types of ships are shuttles, fighters, explorers, haulers, exotics, and living ships. Freighters are something unto themselves. Each type has different intended uses and therefore different base stats. The different stats that ships have are inventory spaces, technology spaces, damage potential, fuel efficiency, hyperdrive range, shield strength, and maneuverability. The classes they fall into are C, B, A, and S (in order of quality). You can increase your ships class, but its expensive. you can add Inventory and Technology slots, but again, expensive. And you can add technology to increase almost everything.

Unfortunately, ships are limited in some ways. You can alter their appearance. You can't change their color. You can't walk around inside ship.

Space Fleet

Capital ships are large vessels that can be used for different purposes, including exploration and trade. They function as a type of mobile base. Similar to starships, there are different types and classes. And you get your first one as part of normal gameplay.

Combat

A bit rudimentary. Most of the combat I've had so far is due to being attacked by sentinels, which are basically autonomous drones that vary in aggression. They attack you if you do certain things and when really aggressive, attack just because fuck you.

Companion

Fauna can be friended and become companions. This was added in early 2021. You can tame any creature and have it become a companion. There are some wild looking and massive creatures so its good fun. You can even get them to lay eggs, then genetically modify those eggs to create hybrids. Genetically engineered cosmic horror creates FTW!

Multi-Player

Haven't done it yet but you can join groups and run requests.

Links

Starting Out Guide

Random Screenshots (Not Mine)

Last edited by Big Papa; 07-08-2021 at 11:25 AM.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

Re: No Man's Sky

Ive got a short 12hrs into the game. I was playing with a friend for the most part and while I enjoyed it, I dont think I fully grasped the game. I've been enjoying your posts so I may try to get back into it when Ive got some free time to spare and dive into it on my own so I can properly learn the game before I start playing with my friend(s) again.

Status

Update #1 - Big Papa Explores all the Galaxies

So summary update from my posts in the What You're Playing thread... started a save and lucked out with the starting galaxy, then my dumb ass decided to start over and didn't have the same luck. So had to hit up like 8 galaxies searching for paradise planets.

Finding a paradise planet is completely unnecessary. It just means that it has great weather and no storms. Temperate climates does mean that certain resources don't spawn there but that's fine - very intentionally, no planet has everything. But its easier not having to deal with constantly charging up your environment suit. Plus the paradise planets seem to have the nicest visual environments.

Realized I was missing a trick. The game has a log of everything you've found. so I went back and looked, and a couple of the bigger systems with yellow stars that I had visited had planets I'd missed exploring. Went back and each of those systems had a paradise planet. Fuck me! Before that, I had warped to two more systems. Which did land my first freighter.

I couldn't pick between the two paradise planets so I started a base on each. I mean, its just adding a few things at this point - base computer, portal, power source. Both have ideal climates so its not a rush to add in actual structures. The only real downside at this point is that both have a lot of water, which means being careful with the exocraft options. The paradise planet in the first save was 80% land with lakes.

Before I found those two planets, i warped into a system further out and came right into a space battle. I was asked to get involved, so I shot down a few pirate ships. Then it tells me to go onboard the freighter and talk to the captain. He's all like "Hey, thanks for saving us, here's the ship as a thank you!" So I got a freighter. No idea what to do with it just yet.

Will probably pour some hours into grinding materials for the bases and trying to figure out the freighter.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnarumma View Post
    Ive got a short 12hrs into the game. I was playing with a friend for the most part and while I enjoyed it, I dont think I fully grasped the game. I've been enjoying your posts so I may try to get back into it when Ive got some free time to spare and dive into it on my own so I can properly learn the game before I start playing with my friend(s) again.
    I was similar when I first played it. I spent maybe 10 hours on the first planet, running around to try to get all the mats without any idea what was useful and what wasn't. Made it to the space station and no further. But really glad I gave it another try. Just kept seeing it mentioned on social media that the game was way better so I figured why not? And very much enjoying it, obviously.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Update #2 - Big Papa Got an Egg

So this actually happened Monday.... I visited The Anomaly, which is full of other players as its a kind of multi-player lobby and you can apparently give people stuff. Because someone was handing out void eggs. Void eggs are where living ships come from. Usually need to be bought later in the game. Gotta carry it around for awhile to activate it (warping does things to it) and then awhile longer to hatch it. So thanks to whoever randomly gave me an egg.

5 of them, actually.

So didn't end up doing much with the base last night. I decided to repair one of the ships. Had most of the materials needed, but had to buy a few others at a space station. And did a bit of grinding to get platinum and pyrite. The latter I found on a planet in a new system that also had ancient bones, which are pretty lucrative items. They individually range from 60K to 130K in value so I loaded up and came away with almost a million bonus credits. The system has a few planets that I was tempted to explore but my inventory slots were all full up so I decided to leave it for later.

One of the materials I stared grinding was Pure Ferrite, which is used pretty heavily in base building. Started to debate whether I want to build the big base on the spot where I had picked out. Its reasonably flat, which helps, and has purple grass and the water often looks reddish. its lovely... but there are rock growths that look like hands and are a bit less lovely lol. the other paradise planet option has electromagnetic power so that kinda makes it appealing, even if its a bit less visually stunning.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Update #3 - Big Papa Builds a Home

So I started building the base. Let's talk base building!

I've mentioned a bit that you have to unlock blueprints. The main way is finding salvaged data and then visiting The Anomaly to buy different plans. You can also unlock them in various ways other ways but its more random. There are different categories of blueprints. The most basic structural ones are wood, metal, and concrete, and quite cheap to obtain. But you don't seen to build very appealing bases out of those alone - they are floor, walls, and roofs that you put together into a kind of blocky space cabin. I'm sure some very creative types can do some cool stuff with those, but the bigger base structures are way more appealing - both visually and functionally. They are more modular, with big rooms (round or square) that can be stacked, corridors of varying shapes, windows, cubes that automatically combine into bigger spaces when put side by side, etc. There is lot of technology, from how to power the base to stuff meaning for mining and farming. And also a lot of décor, which is not really necessarily for base function but helps things visually. I have unlocked quite a bit but not everything yet. One of the most useful things is a set of 10 powered storage unit, each of which have 20 inventory slots. What makes it cool is that you can have a set at any base and the inventory is shared across the units with corresponding numbers. There are still some things I haven't unlocked the blueprints for yet so I need to do some grinding to get enough salvaged data to get everything I will need.

The actual base building process is relatively similar to Subnautica. Pieces "snap" together. There are ways to "glitch build" to put together things that don't necessarily fit together but I'd rather avoid that where possible. As I've mentioned, you can build on-ground, above-ground, below-ground, or even underwater (separate structures for that). You can build almost anywhere to start, but things need to connect from there. You can great really creative - saw someone use a round modular room, some glitch building, and some free placing to create a small base that looks like a large frog. To have some guidance, I found a YouTube video a moderately sized build, apparently building the base shown in some of the first promo material. Not going to dead-on replicate it, but moreso use it as a guide.

Part of my hesitation of building a bigger base on Paradise Planet A is to do with power. There are a few different ways to generate power - a bio reactor (gotta load it up with resources), solar panels (batteries are required and built separately) and electromagnetic generators. The last one is the easiest and you can stack generators on a single spot, but it requires finding a electromagnetic hot spot. Paradise Planet B has one. The bigger the base, the more the power needs, so I was thinking I would have to build a field of solar panels and batteries to keep a base running. Building several electromagnetic generators is way easier. Paradise Planet B has some other niceties - less water and the landscape is dotted with these tall rock tubes that look like monoliths. Can't be mined but cool visually. The main downside to Planet B is the more rugged terrain. Its not overtly rugged but the hills are kinda sharp and drop into little valleys that are a couple meters deep. As I've mentioned, you can use the terrain manipulator to manipulate the terrain, creating flat spots, but I didn't want to do that too much and there is a limit how much you can do.

So I started the "bigger but not huge" base build on Paradise Planet B. I put it atop a small rise very near the electromagnetic hotspot. At the top of the rise, I placed two stacked walls, then connected a corridor, then a round room, then finally deleted the stacked walls. The room ends up kinda floating... which isn't ideal visually but I can add structures underneath to make it look supported later. I added a doorway to the "front" of the round room, and placed a portal in the middle of the room. My entryway. Built a small ramp to walk up from ground level to the doorway, although I can use my jetpack quite easily.

The entry round room has two curving corridors leading off from it. The one on the right curves back toward the front, where another doorway leads to a ship landing pad. I wanted to connect this with walkways but couldn't make it work, so I may redo later. i want to add another landing pad down the road. The left corridor curves around behind the round room, where I've built a cube room that is 3 cubes deep and 4 cubs wide. The idea was to put the storage modules in there, but when I tried it, they actually mount to the outside, which worked even better. They are the same size so its slick. That's as far as I've gotten.

My intent is to build one or two more of the cube rooms - for hydroponics. Will probably also build two stacks of circular rooms. One stack will have research stations - which allow you to hire staff - with a greenhouse on top, and the other will be topped with a "bedroom". Might take a bit before I get them all built as that takes a lot of materials.

I did also build an exocraft station. I will end up having to build a few of them but wanted to get the first craft so I can move around the planet more easily. I had some exocraft upgrades already and added an upgraded mining laser which makes driving around and getting resources massively easier.

In grabbing some resources, I spotted a massive trading station not too far from the base, so that's cool.

Now moving around a planet should be easy - you have a space ship, after all. But unless you landed on a designated landing pad, then launching the ship takes launch fuel. One standard launch takes about 25% of the fuel, so if you are hopping around a planet or even hopping around between planets, you can end up having to grind for some launch fuel. The components are widely available but if you have just harvested the fuck out of a planet and your inventory is full, having to free up some space to craft launch fuel is a in the ass. So it was a nice touch when I finished fixing the ship and one of its installed technologies said it auto-regenerated launch fuel.

The ship I repaired is a ugly-as-shit hauler, which is great for moving around gathering shit. Its A class, so its one step below the best available (S class). The other ships were more visually appealing but this one made sense and had lots of slots. But if it turns out that I can planet hop easily with it, that's a major bonus.

Base Building Wiki
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Le Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I've never touched No Man's Sky. I witnessed the hype train absolutely plummet back down to earth in the space of a week and never gave it a chance since the developers apparently fixed it. I'd thought I'd not see that level of hype to disappointment for at least a decade again but then came Cyberpunk which was much the same. I contemplated picking up No Man's Sky but I'm still unsure.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    I've never touched No Man's Sky. I witnessed the hype train absolutely plummet back down to earth in the space of a week and never gave it a chance since the developers apparently fixed it. I'd thought I'd not see that level of hype to disappointment for at least a decade again but then came Cyberpunk which was much the same. I contemplated picking up No Man's Sky but I'm still unsure.
    The game now is basically the game that everyone hoped / thought it was going to be at launch.

Its not a game for everyone, by any means. Its pretty low-key gaming - maybe not quite on par with Farming Simulator but not that far removed. Its not about combat or even that much about storyline. But if you enjoy exploring, creating, seeking out your dream star ship.... its definitely a game that can soak up a lot of hours.

I did buy it originally on PC but have been playing the X Series thru Game Pass. Its nice that the updates are just updates, not DLC.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Le Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    The game now is basically the game that everyone hoped / thought it was going to be at launch.

Its not a game for everyone, by any means. Its pretty low-key gaming - maybe not quite on par with Farming Simulator but not that far removed. Its not about combat or even that much about storyline. But if you enjoy exploring, creating, seeking out your dream star ship.... its definitely a game that can soak up a lot of hours.

I did buy it originally on PC but have been playing the X Series thru Game Pass. Its nice that the updates are just updates, not DLC.
    It's on sale just now on the PlayStation store for £19.99 which I think seems a good price so I may give it a wee lookin before the deal expires. I don't mind games like what you described, sometimes they give you a good break from your usual AAA combat heavy games.

Status

$20.00 is pretty decent for a game that could, potentially, soak up a massive volume of hours of play.

Dumped a decent amount of hours in. Not tons, but some. Kept building up the base. I managed to get the landing pad connected to the second entrance. As I mentioned, the front of the base is a circular room with a ramp up to the doorway and a portal in the middle of the room. The hallway on the right loops around to the front and connects to the landing pad. The left hallway curves around and there is a pod room that is 4 wide and 3 deep, with the 10 storage unit lining the walls. A hallway loops around from there into another bigger pod room. Probably going to add a second story to that now that I got the last few pod components. A hall leads back to a squad modular room two-stack, and that has a hallway leading off to a tall stack of circular modular rooms. I will probably add a second stack. Its probably already bigger than what I need. I need to fill things in. I have unlocked the blueprints for big components but there is a lot of décor stuff I don't have unlocked yet.

I did have a fun moment were the last thing I added - the circular modular room stack - overwhelmed the power generators I had. I can add more electromagnetic generators.... but the materials I need are all in the storage unit, which are powered.... and without power. So I took the Colossus on a nice little runabout to gather some mats. Its the huge exocraft that's slow as fuck but had tons of inventory and is great for mining stuff. Got what I needed and added 3 more generators so should be good for power for awhile.

Also did some exploring. Found a dark planet. Basically no color. Which was cool as shit. To move forward towards getting a living ship, I need to head to a system that isn't far out but I'm needing to jump repeatedly. Haven't found any planets that made me want to add another base, or even a portal. At some point, I'm sure I will. But I ran into a hiccup with exploration.

Because I lost my fucking ship. So apparently there is a six ship maximum. I was at 5 - my original shitty ship, my repaired A class, and three others that I hadn't sold yet. I should have been okay to add another (although I didn't read up on the limit until afterwards). I got a crashed ship on my new home planet. It was a shitty little ship that wasn't worth much but its still some credits so I added. Except it didn't just add to my ship inventory - it actually replaced the A class. I realized something wasn't right. My A class was landed right beside but it wouldn't let me get into the ship or anything. I thought maybe it was a glitch so I called in my exocraft and started to head back, but that was gonna take too long, so called in my original ship. Tried to call in the A class once I was back at my base. No luck. So I think its gone. I wasted a bunch of time going back to the same spot, which took forever to find, but both the A class and the crashed ship were gone (the latter is in my inventory but its worth fuck all). The A class was ugly as fuck but great for exploring. None of the other unrepaired ships in my inventory are as appealing to fix so I'll probably pick the best of that lot and try to seek out another nice A class or an S class I can either buy or repair. Just sucks because I added a few pretty good mods to the A class that I can add to the new ship, but it takes some hard-to-find resources.

I still haven't done anything with my freighter. I can build a mini-base on that which I need to do soon.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Update #4 - Big Papa Builds a Mobile Home

So seems my ugly-ass Class A Hauler is gone for good. I went to a 3-star economy star system to do some searching for another derelict. Better economy in a system apparently increases the chances of finding an A class, S class or an exotic. I found a C class... but its a big ass one with lots of slots. Claimed it. Then on the space station in that galaxy, a few ships landed and I checked into buying them. One was perfect... and 34,00,000. No dice. But an A class hauler with a bit less inventory space than the crashed hauler was available for 4m so I went for it. I had to add in a bunch of mods but had enough materials to craft most of them. Doing okay again as will work as well as the ship I lost.

The main thing I did last night was finally go back to my capital ship - the freighter I was given. Finally getting a feel for what they are and how they work. So the capital really is like a mobile base. A mobile home, if you will. You can move your ship around by warping between systems, but you can't motor around within a system and go planet to planet like you can in your starship. There is a buildable area within the freighter where you can add some stuff. I added the 10 storage units, an exocraft drop station, and the fleet management room. I was under the impression that you can send your freighter on missions but its not your freighter. With your freighter, you have other ships. For me, that's one science ship. It has stats and can be improved but I can't actually fly, from what I can tell. I can send it out on missions to do different things - trade, explore, etc. Its kinda like some of the mini-games you have in Metal Gear Solid or some older Assassins Creed titles, which I quite enjoyed.

I will likely try to repair the most recent crashed ship I found. I think it was worth 25m or so. I should probably try to repair all of the ships I have as holding in the inventory when they aren't flyable is less appealing now that I know the inventory limits. i have also started trying to get the Overseer to my base. Wanna continue to explore and find new galaxies, which should let me get to the galaxy I need to reach to activate the void egg into a living ship. I may also look to set up some type of farming at the base to make some money. So much to do and not enough time lol
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Update #5 - Swimming in Wealth

Wasn't lacking for money. Spent something like 3.5m credits for the A class ship, but made most of that back with some ancient bone finds. But after repairing the C class hauler I found, I decided to sell it. It had a few more inventory slots than the A class, but I kinda liked the A class better, so I just decided to sell it. I'm sitting on almost 35m credits now. Sounds like a ton, but a few of the ships I've looked at buying were in that price range so it can't hurt to have some money.

I did spend a bit on buying a frigate, which becomes part of my fleet that I can send out on missions from my freighter. Thinking it was 4m or so. Apparently you can actually land on them and go into them. So that's kinda cool.

Did a few missions after hiring the base overseer, science officer, and am now looking to hire a security officer. Doing missions for them provides blueprints, but most of htem I've done so far resulted in blueprints I already have. As far as I can tell, there is no variation between the options of who you hire. Every space station has a room where a bunch of options are sitting there, waiting to be hired. But I can't identify a variation between them in terms of skills or personality. That would be a nice addition but maybe in future versions of the game, as they seem to keep adding elements.

Figure the base is mostly done now. I do need to add interior décor and might add another stack of the circular rooms but mostly it will be decorating things, which I do still need to unlock some of.

I've also started spending some nanites on upgrades. Kinda explained this before, but you can buy blueprints for upgrades to everything (starship, exocraft, multi-tool, exosuit) at The Anomaly, and the blueprints are then used to craft the item. But you can also buy items at the space station that do the same thing. They are classed and improve certain things, but you don't know the exact effect (what is increased by what percentage) until you buy them and install them. At least installing them doesn't require you to build them, so its a bit easier. I was avoiding them because of the randomness of not knowing that they improve. But I saw some videos of a few folks able to use the jetpack for like 35 seconds. I crafted the upgrade I could by and it improved it a little but I still get like a 5 second burst, then a recharge is required. Bought an S class upgrade and it increased my jetpack duration by 218% lol

Looks like I am two warps away from the system I need to reach to advance the living ship process. No idea how much more is involved once I get there. But I did want to have room in the ship inventory, which was largely why I sold that C class.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Update #6 - Fleet Management 101

Not quite as rich anymore, because I've been buying frigates. You need to buy frigates to add your fleet. And you need to have a fleet because... reasons...

So the freighter is more of a mobile base than anything else. But it allows you to manage a fleet of frigates. Frigates are mid-season starships - bigger than your personal starships but smaller than the freighter. They have 5 types - Support, Trade, Industrial, Exploration, and Combat - and those have the same available classes (C, B, A and S). You need to build fleet management rooms on your freighter, and you can have multiple of those so you can have multiple expeditions. Each expedition can have up to 5 frigates. The expeditions are available on the commend deck of your freighter. You can send up to 5 ships per expedition. They vary in intent, loot, duration (1 hour up to 28 hours) and difficulty. You get loot and the frigates get experience. Its really reminiscent of some of the early Assassins Creed titles where you hired new assassins, sent them out on missions, etc. I dig it.

When you in a given system, you will often see fleets there and you can approach them and potentially buy either the freighter or some of their frigates. That's what I've been doing. So far, they are almost all C class so kinda shit, but I doubt I could afford an S or even A class frigate at this point.

I also made it to the system I need to hatch the void egg into a living ship. Its a pretty weird, interesting system. Reached the planet and it directed me to a monument. Planet had some absolutely weird ass creatures but thankfully none were aggressive. Monument says I need to build a Consciousness Bridge. Which requires hexite, a rare element i haven't even encountered yet. Great. Read something about a nearby crashed freighter having it. Searched a bit, found nothing, and headed back to my base to unload as my inventory was quite full. Went back, found a Korvax site that directed me a crashed freighter on another planet in the system but I didn't have the elements required to unlock the containers, so I figured I could go back. Wrong. I went to the space station to buy the elements but the marker for the crashed freighter was gone. Spent some time looking around the planet - managed to find two crashed space ships, but shitty ones that I didn't even bother adding to the inventory - but no freighter.

While I'm thinking I'm screwed, a bit more reading made me realize the mission should have directed me to the crashed freighter on the same planet, so I just need to go back.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Update #7 - The Base is Becoming More... Basey

Poured some hours in over the weekend but haven't focused on any one specific area.

The base now has an Overseer, a Science Officer, a Security Officer, and an Agricultural Officer. they all send me on little missions and then reward me with blueprints, some of which I already have. The Security Officer seems to like to send me out to murder. I think there are a few more I can hire once I can build the stations for them. I'm also starting to add a bit more to the base so I can grow rare resources, which can be used to craft some valuable items. Like I can combine star bulbs and cactus flesh to create poly fibre, which sells for around 600K per item. So I may start to grind for money a bit.

The expeditions I've been sending the fleet out on bring back different items and money. One 24 hour expedition gave me 1m credits. So its another way to earn money.

Beyond getting blueprints for some of the base items I don't have yet, I do need to get the blueprints for the remaining exocraft. I have the Roamer, Nomad, and Colossus. Sounds like the Minotaur can be quite useful - its an exosuit that protects from the environment of each planet, making it way easier to harvest things like storm crystals.

I am about halfway through the living ship process. I keep having to fly to new systems, visit a monument that asks me to provide something that I need to craft, and then that has to age for about 24 hours before I can move onto the next step. I'm probably going to go through all of this and end up getting a shitty C class living ship.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Update #8 - Chasing the Dream... of a Sentient Ship....

Been bashing away but not really focusing on any one given area. Done some main storyline quests, done some base-related quests, and just been exploring some too. For some reason, I've been kinda focused on finishing the living ship quest, which is kinda detrimental at this point.

I had found a C class Hauler not too long ago and decided to repair it. I had most of the materials needed, but had to seek out a couple. Sold it for 22m even though it was tempting to keep it since it had more inventory slots that my current A class. I also found an S class exotic in a space station and paid 8m for it. Kinda regret that as its pretty small and not much inventory space. But I do have a couple of inventory expansion modules I could add.

Between selling that ship, a couple of others, and the fleet expeditions, I have almost 80m. Which is nice. I can buy any ship or freighter that I find, or close enough to it.

I think I'm on the finally quest in the living ship storyline. I have to use an alien portal to travel to somewhere specific. So there are 3 different type of portals - short portals, base portals, and alien portals. Short portals are a blueprint that allows you do something like move between areas of a base. Base portals are ones you can create and they allow you to travel to other base portals and any space stations you have visited. Alien portals are relics that can be found randomly. From what I've read, there is one per system but they can be a pain to track down and not that easy to spot from the air. There is one in the system where I have my main boss but when I used it, I didn't mark it so now I can't find it again. But even if I can, I'm not sure I can use it. The alien portals use a system of 16 glyphs that you discover as part of the main storyline, or you can learn them prior to that by finding the graves of other travellers. I've found 3. The glyphs are a system of direct travel to other systems, and people use them to post where to find certain things. Want a very specific type of ship or multi-tool? somehow ho found it can post the glyph-coordinates and you can get directly there. But I don't know for sure if I can use a portal without knowing all the glyphs. So I've spent some time trying to track down a portal in a few systems. Might be a waste of time. I mean, its not a COMPLETE waste of time. The process is that as you explore, a lot of locations have a marker. When you active that, its a save point but also gives you encrypted location data. That can be traded to a cartographer on a space station for specific locations. There are four types and its kinda random within the type. You can find some good stuff, sometimes ancient artifacts worth a million or more. So its not totally a waste but it does eat up time.

Instead of doing that, I should probably just focus on the main story for a bit so I can find the glyphs and know that I can activate the portal when I actually find one lol
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Update #9 - Found a Portal

Won't be a long update as I didn't end up with much time to play last night. Watched some Olympics with the wife. But I do play long enough to do another quest in the main storyline. And I stopped when that quest sent me to a planet in the system with my main base where I need to take one of those alien portals somewhere. I marked it with a save marker. I still only have 3 of the 16 glyphs but as long as I have the locations I need, I should be able to use it... I think...

If I get any time to play tonight, I hope I can track down the planet needed to complete the living ship questline.

The temptation will probably then to find other ships. You can use glyphs and coordinates to find specific types of ships. So if I decide I, say, want an orange class hauler that looks like the ship from Firefly, there is a user database where I can search for where other NMS players have tracked where they have found that specific ship. I have a few inventory expansion modules built up which are kinda valuable - adding inventory slots to a ship on a space station is like $10m per slot. But I don't think I want my current ship to grow like that - its fine but it would be nice to have more tech inventory slots to start with. Been doing some research and an S class hauler will have 40-48 inventory sots and 6-8 tech inventory slots.

A better multi-tool is another thing I'd like to dig up. I have an A class rifle that I bought for a couple million. Like the ships, you can extra technology slots (multi-tools don't have regular inventory slots). More slots helps because you can add more tools and more modifications.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Minor update... played a bit yesterday and managed to progress the main storyline enough that i got the remaining glyphs I needed. Did not have time to actually try a portal but now I can. The main story is... something I didn't really expect. Its not really the draw of the game but its interesting.

First step will be travel to where I need to so that I can finish the living ship questline. I will probably end up with a C class living ship that won't have much for base stats. Ah well.

Then I will probably use coordinates I found online to track down some ships and multi-tools that will be an upgrade. Still debating what kind of ship I want to go for - hauler, explorer, or maybe a fighter... The fighters are generally the coolest looking but I'm not sure i want the combat buff that fighters offer. Warp efficiency and inventory extras that the explorer and hauler types offer seem more appealing for deep space exploration.

I found another paradise planet that I started a base on. The base is nothing but power generation and a portal at this point but its a lovely location.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Update #10 - My Ship... ITS BREATHING

So finished the Living Ship questline. And got a living ship. Yay!

And its somehow underwhelming. I had bought a few S class technology modules only to find out that they don't work on living ships. Living ships are living and therefore need living mods. Oy. So my new ship is suddenly less appealing and impressive.

Also wasted some time using the portal to travel to find a few items that folks had posted. Wanted to find a sweet new multi-tool. Put in the address, travelled there, then found the coordinates.... no base. WTF? Then I realized it was in another galaxy. Seems like the portal system works within a given galaxy, not across them. Fuck.

Doubt I'll have much time to play over the weekend, which might be a good thing. Kinda hit that point where I'm not sure where I want to focus. I have a host of other games I need to play so I'm not gonna stick with this and just grind for the sake of it.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Update #11 - My Ship... ITS EXPENSIVE

Had a long weekend but not a lot of time to play. Had family in town.

So the living ship is cool but not as useful as I'd like. Wanted something a bit more functional. Was open to a fighter, explorer or a hauler. Each ship type offers different aspects, as well as looking a bit different.

You want to know more about ships? Glad you asked. To go a little further than what I posted before.... The different starship types offer different bonuses and looks. A fighter, for example, will always have a basic look with a long nose and top cockpit - think the front part of an X-Wing from Star Wars. But details like the wings, tail, engines, nose, and colorings will all vary based on several different patterns.

Important Ship Stats:

Inventory

Technology Inventory

Damage

Fuel Efficiency

Hyperdrive Range (warping)

Shields

Maneuverability

Types:

Shuttle - no bonuses. They have a bit of a fighter look. Starting ship is a shuttle. Low stats

Explorer - hypedrive bonus. Tend to have a slightly insect-like look

Fighter - damage bonus.

Hauler - shield bonus. Tend to have larger inventories.

Exotic - high but balanced stats. Unique looks - either a bulb with wings and a nose, or a squid design. Only 2 class.

There are classes within each type (except Exotic and Living ships) that alter the base stats and inventory. The classes are C, B, A, and S.

As I've mentioned before, the two ways to get ships are buying them or finding them crashed. Buying them costs money (duh) and finding the crashed ones not only means searching but also repairing them. The bigger and better the crashed ship, the more costly repairing it is in terms of materials. Buying one is theoretically easier, but you still need to encounter a ship you want to buy that's landed - on a space station or on a planet. You can then approach the pilot and it has a set price. Better ship (class and inventory) is more expensive. Because ships are procedurally generated, you can generally find the same ship with the same build (although not always the same class) in a given system. People share online as everyone wants to hunt for the EXACT ship they want.

I wasn't certain what I wanted. But I wanted something better than the B class hauler with 36 slots. Now I could have upgraded that ship. Adding another inventory slot is expensive ($10m units) and so is upgrading its class (10m nanites). The cheaper way is finding inventory upgrade modules, and I had about 10 stashed away. A slick way to get those is buying any S class ship you encounter and scrap em. You lose a bit - think I lost $2m when I did that - but came away with an inventory expansion module. Saved $8m that way! Can also grind for crashed ships, repair em, and sell em - some of those will have but it seems like only the higher classes.

After wasting some time trying to find a better crashed ship, I figured I'd try buying one. I had $101m units. Wasn't quite decided on what I wanted. A high end fighter is pretty slick and 38 inventory slots (the max for a fighter) is similar to what my hauler had. But a better hauler seemed like a better bet for long-distance trekking without having to return to base constantly. Found a nice A class hauler someone had posted and went looking.

I managed to find it. It waited around in the space station in that system for awhile but it never came in. So I went to a planet, found a trading post and hung around there. It landed a short bit later. Red with two big spheres on each side. Almost max slots for inventory and quite a few tech inventory. Problematically, you don't get along to decide. The ships land for a short period, then take off and you've fucking missed out. So I check out the ship when it lands. Its not an S class and its not maxed out inventory but yeah, its good.

Problem... Its expensive. From the chart I found, Exotics are the most expensive star ships (freighters cost more). The most expensive fighter possible is $57m. The max hauler cost is $126m. Followed by $112m. Then $102.5m. This one is $102.5m, making it the 3rd most expensive non-exotic hauler in the game.

And I don't have it.

I have $101m.

Making a million isn't that hard. A multitude of ways to grind it fairly quickly. But this ship is going to disappear in like 30 seconds. My current ship is worth about 5m to sell. If I "trade it", it drops the price to just over 100m. I wasn't planning on the doing that, but I can make it work. I move anything of value out of my current ship inventory, praying the new hauler doesn't fly away. I get it to work. And I have a new hauler and $300k left.

I already added a few more inventory slots to the sphere hauler so its maxed out inventory and only has a couple tech inventory slots that I can add. I've added a few tech modules already and some of the necessary stuff it didn't have (engine mods that allow you to travel to certain star types).

The fortune that I depleted is already building back up. A couple of fleet expeditions and I am back up to almost 20m.

My starship fleet isn't complete. I do want to add more exotics and probably a maxed out fighter as well. But not something I'm gonna bothering grinding on for now.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Thread Information