Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 73 of 73

Thread: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

  1. #61
    B L A C K - M A S S

    The EC's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,754
    Rep Power
    2998213
      Country                    United States

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    Not only is it an alternative by the very definition of the word... it's also an alternative for anyone whose main gripes against WWE are the overly polished presentation, tedious scripted promos, same matches happening every week, feuds that sometimes feel like they last forever and go absolutely nowhere, a lack of any longterm storytelling and way too many PPVs. AEW have plenty of flaws themselves but they avoid a lot of the big overarching problems that I have with WWE. They may both be sports entertainment style companies but they're plenty different.

  2. #62
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,694
    Rep Power
    1349617

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Not only is it an alternative by the very definition of the word... it's also an alternative for anyone whose main gripes against WWE are the overly polished presentation, tedious scripted promos, same matches happening every week, feuds that sometimes feel like they last forever and go absolutely nowhere, a lack of any longterm storytelling and way too many PPVs. AEW have plenty of flaws themselves but they avoid a lot of the big overarching problems that I have with WWE. They may both be sports entertainment style companies but they're plenty different.
    now that i watched that episode, i feel its got more in common with WWE than people think. Its not a carbon copy though. But when i say its like WWE , im basically saying its a more sports entertainment leaning

    Mimosa Mayhem match screams WCW. Stadium Stampede does too.

    To a casual fan, a scripted promos make zero difference. They re none the wiser to this reality. but i do think thats one of their perks.
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-14-2021 at 09:22 AM.
    I am the Foundation

    https://twitter.com/TheJonGresham

  3. #63
    Intercontinental Champion
    Raye's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,972
    Rep Power
    1001221
      Country                    Canada

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    I thought the Mimosa Mayhem was an awful concept and stipulation too but you can't fixate on that one thing lmao.

    The Stadium Stampede match last year I thought was incredible, and I think the majority opinion was that it exceeded expectations and turned out to be a very good match. Cinematics can be a hit or miss. You can have yourself something bad like Britt/Swole, or you can have something amazing like Darby/Sting vs Starks/Cage. It was an adaptation made for COVID era and I haven't found any of it to be WCW level of bad at all.

  4. #64
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,694
    Rep Power
    1349617

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I thought the Mimosa Mayhem was an awful concept and stipulation too but you can't fixate on that one thing lmao.

    The Stadium Stampede match last year I thought was incredible, and I think the majority opinion was that it exceeded expectations and turned out to be a very good match. Cinematics can be a hit or miss. You can have yourself something bad like Britt/Swole, or you can have something amazing like Darby/Sting vs Starks/Cage. It was an adaptation made for COVID era and I haven't found any of it to be WCW level of bad at all.
    im not saying it should be fixated on but come on. its something right out of WCW 2000.

    Hopefully they dont venture to much into those types of matches because it looks goofy. And goofy is very WWE ish.

    im not a fan of cinematic matches but you are spot on. its a match type in response to covid.

    but i dont see why they are doing it again.
    I am the Foundation

    https://twitter.com/TheJonGresham

  5. #65
    WC Hall Of Famer

    Jimmy King's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Slam Diego
    Posts
    10,375
    Rep Power
    2073895
      Country                    United States

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    They’re doing it again because it was a success and well received last time, so it’s possible that they’re aiming for that same success and positive response.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

    Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

    Letterboxd

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

  6. #66
    VINTAGE POSTER!
    Marketh's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    19,968
    Rep Power
    2060019
      Country                    Scotland

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    Eh, I’d rather they didn’t do it because after trying to paralyse Jericho, we’re well past the point in this feud for what is basically an extended, well-produced comedy match.

    I would’ve been fine with it because I enjoyed the first one as much as anyone else, if the timing was right, but Jericho seems to have a weird thing about making feuds very serious (bloody fight with OC) and then undercutting it by following up with wackiness (Mimosa Mayhem).


    Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

  7. #67
    TAKE THE DREAM~

    Kingsley MComan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Lesnar Farm
    Posts
    9,244
    Rep Power
    1591324
      Country                    England

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    The Stampede should've came first and then Blood and Guts. That seems like the obvious trajectory for things to go but it's the opposite. It's not the end of the world though. Sometimes descaling stipulations can help a feud. For example, Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho in 2008. They reverted to a lesser ladder match after doing an Unsanctioned match (which was more more violent and fitting of the feud). and benefitted from it.

    Just tone down the comedy. That's all they need to do.

  8. #68

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    The Stampede should've came first and then Blood and Guts. That seems like the obvious trajectory for things to go but it's the opposite. It's not the end of the world though. Sometimes descaling stipulations can help a feud. For example, Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho in 2008. They reverted to a lesser ladder match after doing an Unsanctioned match (which was more more violent and fitting of the feud). and benefitted from it.

    Just tone down the comedy. That's all they need to do.
    The fact that Double or Nothing will be in front of a full capacity crowd supports the idea that the cinematic match fit better on the smaller show while Blood and Guts deserved the PPV.

  9. #69
    TAKE THE DREAM~

    Kingsley MComan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Lesnar Farm
    Posts
    9,244
    Rep Power
    1591324
      Country                    England

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The fact that Double or Nothing will be in front of a full capacity crowd supports the idea that the cinematic match fit better on the smaller show while Blood and Guts deserved the PPV.
    I've seen a few people (VOW mainly) say that AEW is prioritising TV over PPV. If that's true, then Dynamite is the bigger show and Double Or Nothing is the smaller show, full capacity or not. That's all I can think of.

  10. #70
    VINTAGE POSTER!
    Marketh's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    19,968
    Rep Power
    2060019
      Country                    Scotland

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    If they did reverse it so Stadium Stampede was on TV, since they pre-tape it, it would’ve been much easier to edit it for commercial breaks and Blood and Guts could’ve gone uninterrupted on PPV, be paced better, and serve as an actual blowoff. I wish they went that route.


    Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

  11. #71
    Intercontinental Champion
    Raye's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,972
    Rep Power
    1001221
      Country                    Canada

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    Would they have had to reduce capacity if they did Blood and Guts on PPV? Maybe they just didn't want to go that route for a full capacity PPV at Daily's. I personally only don't mind it IF it ends with the Inner Circle getting disbanded. I NEED Sammy and PnP to go and do their own thing. I think there were so many missed opportunities with PnP and the IC. Also I need the return of PnP's theme because it's one of my faves on the roster.

  12. #72
    Curtain Jerker

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    I hadn't watched any AEW for a while but had to check out Blood and Guts after reading and listening to all the reviews. None the less, that show made me want to check out this weeks episode of Dynamite and I am glad that I did. It was a great show but I want to highlight something that I wasn't a fan of and I'm sorry but it is related to NJPW.

    The low point to this show FOR ME was the IWGP US Title match. At no fault to NJPW and AEW, I just disliked the fact that this title was defended in a match that was a filler. There probably needed to be a US Title defense and to be fair Dynamite would be the best show to do it in the states. But it's obvious that Moxley just had to tick a box and had bigger things on his plate. Which is fair but this match was nothing more than a 'spectacle'. It felt to me like an ROH Tour Event where the TV Title gets defended against a local hero (or in this case an NJPW hero). Perhaps that was simply the intention and I am just being too harsh on it, but the match in my opinion wasn't even worth rating and wasn't significant enough to be for an IWGP US Title.

  13. #73

    Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 12/05/2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Reinheimer View Post
    The low point to this show FOR ME was the IWGP US Title match. At no fault to NJPW and AEW, I just disliked the fact that this title was defended in a match that was a filler. There probably needed to be a US Title defense and to be fair Dynamite would be the best show to do it in the states. But it's obvious that Moxley just had to tick a box and had bigger things on his plate. Which is fair but this match was nothing more than a 'spectacle'. It felt to me like an ROH Tour Event where the TV Title gets defended against a local hero (or in this case an NJPW hero). Perhaps that was simply the intention and I am just being too harsh on it, but the match in my opinion wasn't even worth rating and wasn't significant enough to be for an IWGP US Title.
    In fairness, this was just the second US Title defense in over a year. So literally anything would be better than having Moxley keep the belt in his closet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •