Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 Mens Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: 2021 Mens Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

I guess it's easy to say Bryan will be a candidate because it's an off year and he's a hot act in one of the only hot promotions of the year but I struggle to earnestly consider him a candidate based on his output. Only the Omega match stood out as a great to me with everything else not really exceeding the average match quality of the rest of the wrestling world right now - being good but not great.

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I guess it's easy to say Bryan will be a candidate because it's an off year and he's a hot act in one of the only hot promotions of the year but I struggle to earnestly consider him a candidate based on his output. Only the Omega match stood out as a great to me with everything else not really exceeding the average match quality of the rest of the wrestling world right now - being good but not great.
    I think I'd like to at least see some of the names you're putting ahead of him. Not to say that I think Danielson has it in the bag. Josh Alexander and Kenny Omega are two guys I definitely view as being in contention with him, and from what I've seen of Shingo this year, I think he probably deserves to be in the conversation as well. Ilja and Walter both could be considered, though I don't think either of them have had enough showings on a big enough stage to really qualify.

But, Danielson has two of WWE's best matches this year with his singles match with Reigns and the triple threat at WrestleMania, and he hasn't done anything in AEW so far that has been anything less than awesome, with two of the best overall matches of the year against Suzuki and Omega. And it's not only the match quality itself, but Danielson's individual performances as well have just been mesmerizing, especially in AEW. With the assortment of great matches that Danielson has in front of him for the rest of the year, I don't know if anyone's going to be able to keep pace with him, personally.

WAKE UP

Status

What Josh Alexander matches put him in the conversation?
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    What Josh Alexander matches put him in the conversation?
    His Iron Man match against TJP is his crown jewel, I'd say.

And then there's the X Division Championship match against Jake Something at Emergence, the Ultimate X match at Slammiversary, his defense against Chris Sabin at Victory Road, the triple threat at Rebellion with Ace Austin and TJP and just a litany of other great matches throughout his time as X-Division Champion with pretty much everyone he's shared the ring with. Similar to Danielson, it isn't necessarily about his laundry list of 5-star classics, but his individual performances throughout the year where he's looked like a consummate ring general who elevates every match he's in. Hopefully his match with Christian Cage at Bound For Glory will be another feather in his cap, as well.

Underdog

Status

I’ve yet to see the Iron Man match but their match on Impact Feb 16th was highly enjoyable. Not quite a MOTYC but a cracking little tv match. Shame they stopped running on tv over here as I’ve seen very little of Alexander since.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Out of interest MC, who are your candidates for WOTY if Bryan isn’t even a contender?
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Meant to say the other day. Obviously I can only go off what I watched mostly so no one from WWE or the indies. The candidates for me would probably be Kenny Omega, Shingo Takagi and Konosuke Takeshita. Ultimately I don't think Bryan is a candidate because of the amount of time he spent not wrestling throughout the year. And the matches of his that I have seen weren't good enough to offset that. Only the Omega match would make my MOTYC list, whereas the Suzuki and WM 3-Way wouldn't. All three that I mentioned have been wrestling the whole year and were consistently great. It's the same reason I didn't mention Ospreay despite him being my prime candidate earlier in the year. The time off is too great for me to consider them.

Omega has had plenty of good matches throughout the year against Christian, Bryan himself, the 3-Way against PAC and OC and Moxley in the Barbed Wire match despite its ending. His lengthy title reign is a big factor as its something I do consider at times. The same with Shingo Takagi. New Japan has had a poor year and yet he's been consistently good and held up the quality in the main events despite the situation. I thought his WK match against Cobb was borderline MOTYC and his G1 match against ZSJ will make my top 20 of the year. His title reign had some good matches against Okada and Tanahashi as well. My argument for Takeshita might go over some heads because he's from a way smaller promotion but he's been my favourite bell to bell wrestler in 2021 with way more great matches than anyone else I've watched this year, both singles and tags. I probably should recommend them in the threads but I tend to forget about them. Plus within his own bubble, he's highly successful winning pretty much every thing in the promotion, tag team titles, the KO-D Openweight Title, and 2/3 tournaments, one of which is currently ongoing.

Bryan isn't a contender now but he has two months so maybe I'll change my mind.

World Champion

Status

For me its Gresham and its not close. Best booked champion all year and he made everyone he wrestled look great....Even bringing guys like Draper and Bennett and giving them the best single matches of their careers Not to mention winning every match differently. Oct 2020 - Oct 2021...he's untouchable
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

Demon on the Loose

Status
      Country                    Greece

Reigns has been carrying SmackDown (if not the entire WWE) on his back since last year so he's my #1 right now.
    The RED Report!
    (A New Episode every once in a blue moon!)

Greek Beauties - October Entry

Vaso Laskaraki

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information