Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Mens Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: 2021 Mens Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

I guess it's easy to say Bryan will be a candidate because it's an off year and he's a hot act in one of the only hot promotions of the year but I struggle to earnestly consider him a candidate based on his output. Only the Omega match stood out as a great to me with everything else not really exceeding the average match quality of the rest of the wrestling world right now - being good but not great.

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I guess it's easy to say Bryan will be a candidate because it's an off year and he's a hot act in one of the only hot promotions of the year but I struggle to earnestly consider him a candidate based on his output. Only the Omega match stood out as a great to me with everything else not really exceeding the average match quality of the rest of the wrestling world right now - being good but not great.
    I think I'd like to at least see some of the names you're putting ahead of him. Not to say that I think Danielson has it in the bag. Josh Alexander and Kenny Omega are two guys I definitely view as being in contention with him, and from what I've seen of Shingo this year, I think he probably deserves to be in the conversation as well. Ilja and Walter both could be considered, though I don't think either of them have had enough showings on a big enough stage to really qualify.

But, Danielson has two of WWE's best matches this year with his singles match with Reigns and the triple threat at WrestleMania, and he hasn't done anything in AEW so far that has been anything less than awesome, with two of the best overall matches of the year against Suzuki and Omega. And it's not only the match quality itself, but Danielson's individual performances as well have just been mesmerizing, especially in AEW. With the assortment of great matches that Danielson has in front of him for the rest of the year, I don't know if anyone's going to be able to keep pace with him, personally.

WAKE UP

Status

What Josh Alexander matches put him in the conversation?
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    What Josh Alexander matches put him in the conversation?
    His Iron Man match against TJP is his crown jewel, I'd say.

And then there's the X Division Championship match against Jake Something at Emergence, the Ultimate X match at Slammiversary, his defense against Chris Sabin at Victory Road, the triple threat at Rebellion with Ace Austin and TJP and just a litany of other great matches throughout his time as X-Division Champion with pretty much everyone he's shared the ring with. Similar to Danielson, it isn't necessarily about his laundry list of 5-star classics, but his individual performances throughout the year where he's looked like a consummate ring general who elevates every match he's in. Hopefully his match with Christian Cage at Bound For Glory will be another feather in his cap, as well.

Underdog

Status

I’ve yet to see the Iron Man match but their match on Impact Feb 16th was highly enjoyable. Not quite a MOTYC but a cracking little tv match. Shame they stopped running on tv over here as I’ve seen very little of Alexander since.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Out of interest MC, who are your candidates for WOTY if Bryan isn’t even a contender?
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Meant to say the other day. Obviously I can only go off what I watched mostly so no one from WWE or the indies. The candidates for me would probably be Kenny Omega, Shingo Takagi and Konosuke Takeshita. Ultimately I don't think Bryan is a candidate because of the amount of time he spent not wrestling throughout the year. And the matches of his that I have seen weren't good enough to offset that. Only the Omega match would make my MOTYC list, whereas the Suzuki and WM 3-Way wouldn't. All three that I mentioned have been wrestling the whole year and were consistently great. It's the same reason I didn't mention Ospreay despite him being my prime candidate earlier in the year. The time off is too great for me to consider them.

Omega has had plenty of good matches throughout the year against Christian, Bryan himself, the 3-Way against PAC and OC and Moxley in the Barbed Wire match despite its ending. His lengthy title reign is a big factor as its something I do consider at times. The same with Shingo Takagi. New Japan has had a poor year and yet he's been consistently good and held up the quality in the main events despite the situation. I thought his WK match against Cobb was borderline MOTYC and his G1 match against ZSJ will make my top 20 of the year. His title reign had some good matches against Okada and Tanahashi as well. My argument for Takeshita might go over some heads because he's from a way smaller promotion but he's been my favourite bell to bell wrestler in 2021 with way more great matches than anyone else I've watched this year, both singles and tags. I probably should recommend them in the threads but I tend to forget about them. Plus within his own bubble, he's highly successful winning pretty much every thing in the promotion, tag team titles, the KO-D Openweight Title, and 2/3 tournaments, one of which is currently ongoing.

Bryan isn't a contender now but he has two months so maybe I'll change my mind.

World Champion

Status

For me its Gresham and its not close. Best booked champion all year and he made everyone he wrestled look great....Even bringing guys like Draper and Bennett and giving them the best single matches of their careers Not to mention winning every match differently. Oct 2020 - Oct 2021...he's untouchable

Demon on the Loose

Status
      Country                    Greece

Reigns has been carrying SmackDown (if not the entire WWE) on his back since last year so he's my #1 right now.
    The RED Report!
    (A New Episode every once in a blue moon!)

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I think Bryan is the clear front runner now. He's putting together an incredibly strong end to the year that dwarfs anything else that anyone has done that I have seen.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

World Champion

Status

After watching Gresham all year hes easily the best wrestler. The guys a machine

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Bryan is just blitzing past everyone in my Roman/Omega/Bryan battle. Bryan's in 6 of my top 15 matches of the year so far, more than anyone else, and I can't see how his match with Moxley at Full Gear won't deliver too. He may have missed 5 months, but that makes it all the more impressive.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

WAKE UP

Status

Right now I'd have Danielson, Kingston and Darby as Top 3, with Danielson out in front. Omega might be in the Top 5 but he'll probably drop out if he is taking time off. Could see Punk sneak in there with 1 or 2 big performances between now and the end of the year.

Squash Fodder

Status

I'm easily going Roman here. Not only has he carried Smackdown big time, but he's had excellent matches with Bryan (Fastlane), Edge and Bryan (Mania), Cesaro (Backlash), Mysterio (that Cell match on Smackdown before HIAC), Edge again (MITB) and a good one with Cena at SummerSlam. The guy has just been on a different level week in and week out.

Jungle Life

Status

Josh Alexander is def worth a look at so is Danielson though I don't rate the Omega match as high for me. I do think Jungle Boy is worth a nod as well as Brody King.
    Spoiler:

Liv Forever

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

I'm going with Roman. Just looking at everything Pro Wrestling encompases I dont think Danielsons even in the same league right now (for clarification Bryan is a superior all round Pro Wrestler than Reigns). I know I can usually expect a fun segment or promo or match from Reigns, while Bryan is just all about his matches, and I haven't felt invested in anything he's done in AEW because they're all just random mostly meaningless matches.

WAKE UP

Status

I like Roman but the Head Of the Table act is getting pretty old now, I personally don't have much desire to see if run for another 6 months between now and Wrestlemania.

Danielson's promo on Page this week was way better and refresher than anything I've seen from Reigns this year.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Danielson's promo on Page this week was way better and refresher than anything I've seen from Reigns this year.
    Which is hilarious, because that promo seemed pretty generic to me. Not that Reigns is setting the world on fire or anything, but his missionary position promo about Cena was way better than Bryan’s work on Wednesday.

Not to mention, ETE is correct in saying that his matches don’t really have any depth to them other than being technically solid. The guy’s best work from a story telling perspective is still the stuff he was doing in WWE before he left. Tbh, the fact that he went from wrestling in the main event at Wrestlemania to doing the YouTube pre-show for a Friday night Rampage episode doesn’t exactly help his case in my eyes. Like pretty much everyone else on the AEW roster, Danielson just feels like another guy now.

”The New and Improved AstraPfizer Bunny”

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Which is hilarious, because that promo seemed pretty generic to me. Not that Reigns is setting the world on fire or anything, but his missionary position promo about Cena was way better than Bryan’s work on Wednesday.

Not to mention, ETE is correct in saying that his matches don’t really have any depth to them other than being technically solid. The guy’s best work from a story telling perspective is still the stuff he was doing in WWE before he left. Tbh, the fact that he went from wrestling in the main event at Wrestlemania to doing the YouTube pre-show for a Friday night Rampage episode doesn’t exactly help his case in my eyes. Like pretty much everyone else on the AEW roster, Danielson just feels like another guy now.

We are just not going to agree on any of this. Bryan's promo wasn't an all-timer or anything, but it was really effective in what it needed to do - positioning him as the heel in the Page feud and giving some juice to it above a standard face vs face program. Roman suffers from being in the WWE and just regurgitating the same lines and slogans week in and week out without much character progression or any exciting programs to build up. From a booking perspective (not something I'd even consider relevant in this debate) he is very clearly in a holding pattern with filler feuds until Wrestlemania. AEW's booking of Bryan is way more interesting.
    What is the most exciting promo Reigns has cut this year? One line about sex position does not a great promo just because it's 'edgy' by WWE standards.

As an aside, I would always rate a guy coming up with his own promo content than someone who is fed lines by a writer, but that isn't Roman's fault.

As for your second paragraph - I can only assume you haven't watched any of Danielson's AEW run. He came in as a major star, has been positioned as the #1 or #2 babyface on the show, feuded with the top heel, has been built up as a killer who can win matches in a number of ways and is now the first challenger for Page. There's been a very clear direction on how he's been used since joining.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

2021 Mens Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

We are just not going to agree on any of this. Bryan's promo wasn't an all-timer or anything, but it was really effective in what it needed to do - positioning him as the heel in the Page feud and giving some juice to it above a standard face vs face program. Roman suffers from being in the WWE and just regurgitating the same lines and slogans week in and week out without much character progression or any exciting programs to build up. From a booking perspective (not something I'd even consider relevant in this debate) he is very clearly in a holding pattern with filler feuds until Wrestlemania. AEW's booking of Bryan is way more interesting.
    What is the most exciting promo Reigns has cut this year? One line about sex position does not a great promo just because it's 'edgy' by WWE standards.

As an aside, I would always rate a guy coming up with his own promo content than someone who is fed lines by a writer, but that isn't Roman's fault.

As for your second paragraph - I can only assume you haven't watched any of Danielson's AEW run. He came in as a major star, has been positioned as the #1 or #2 babyface on the show, feuded with the top heel, has been built up as a killer who can win matches in a number of ways and is now the first challenger for Page. There's been a very clear direction on how he's been used since joining.
    I’ve watched every single match of his run. The guy does happen to be my favourite wrestler after all. It doesn’t mean that I’m not capable of seeing that he’s still just another dude in the company, the same way Punk and Cole are. His matches are bangers to be sure, but that’s not the only thing I’m looking for when determining who my top choice for this award is. Also, if the booking perspective is irrelevant, why does it matter that Bryan’s booking is more interesting?

It does appear that he’s now entering into a good angle where he’ll be beating all of Adam’s pals on the way to their match, so perhaps he can still surpass Reigns in my eyes for this award. In the meantime, I’ll still be looking squarely at the top guy in WWE over the dude that wrestled Aaron Solo on AEW Dark, even though the match was solid. Bryan would be a shoe in for a best in-ring wrestler award, but there’s more to the total package than just that.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information