View Poll Results: Who has the best album?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dustin DeWinde

5 55.56%
  • Mandalorian

4 44.44%

Thread: Song Fantasy Draft Round 2: Dustin DeWinde vs. Mandalorian

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

Song Fantasy Draft Round 2: Dustin DeWinde vs. Mandalorian

Dustin Dewinde's "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Misery" (won 12-10 vs. Blaine in Round 1)
    1. Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus
    2. Miss Atomic Bomb - The Killers
    3. River of Darkness - The Midnight & Timecop1983
    4. The Stranger - Billy Joel
    5. Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis - Tom Waits
    6. Neon Moon - Cigarettes After Sex
    7. Here Comes a Regular - The Replacements
    8. Are You Sure - Willie Nelson
    9. Liability - Lorde
    10. I Almost Do - Taylor Swift
    11. Something I Can Never Have - Nine Inch Nails
    12. The Promise - The Cure
    13. Whiskey Lullaby - Brad Paisley ft. Alisson Kraus
    14. One Headlight - The Wallflowers

vs.

Mandalorian's "Brass Beasts Vol. 1 - The Saxophone" (won 12-7 vs. Shock in Round 1)
    A selection of popular songs from several generations to take listeners through the story of the saxophone in the mainstream. Designed to get you jumping from your seat and then get you into the mood. Get ready to get lost in sax.
    1. Sax - Fleur East
    2. My Type - Saint Motel
    3. Mr. Saxobeat - Alexander Straun
    4. This Girl - Kungs vs. Cookin' on 3 Burners
    5. Rio - Duran Duran
    6. Tequila - The Champs
    7. It's Not Unusual - Tom Jones
    8. Beyond the Sea - Bobby Darin
    9. Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
    10. Careless Whisper - George Michael
    11. Feeling Good - Michael Buble
    12. True - Spandau Ballet

BONUS TRACK #1 - Run Away - Sunstoke Project ft. Olia Tira (also known as 'The Epic Sax Guy' Song)
    BONUS TRACK #2 - Down With the Trumpets - Rizzle Kicks (BRASS BEASTS VOL. 2 - TRUMPETS - PREVIEW)

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    5x FWA Tag Team Champion

2020 North American Sports Poster Of The Year

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Re: Song Fantasy Draft Round 2: Dustin DeWinde vs. Mandalorian

Gonna post this here in case people missed it the first round, since I posted it after many people already voted. I feel I will be crushed by Man if I don't put this in here, so at least this will hopefully make it less of a landslide in his favor xD

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin DeWinde View Post
    It's probably worth noting (and probably something I should have done before basically everyone already voted. Oops xD) that I put together my songs as a sort of "concept album", one that tells a story. Or at least, in my head it did. Hence why it starts off with Teenage Dirtbag, as I saw questioned above. That's the start of everything.

So they go to the Iron Maiden concert, boy and girl (I suppose the girl needs to be named Noelle for continuity purposes, but whatever xD). The boy is super in love with this girl, and they start to spend a lot of time together.

With Miss Atomic Bomb, he sees her kiss her boyfriend and finds out that they're still together, even though he thought they really had something together. He's just a naïve teenager after all, and this first experience with the friendzone is devastating.

River of Darkness shows the progression through the late teens into early adulthood, walking the streets feeling alone, betrayed, etc.

Tracks 4-7 come after he hits 21, spending a lot of time in bars, attempting to drown away his loneliness and depression.

Are You Sure is the advice he gets from the last friend he has left, as he's slowly driven those close to him away through the years.

Liability switches to the girl's perspective, whom we see is also dealing with issues of her own, specifically her self-esteem. She long since lost any contact with the boy, so she began to date once the original boyfriend broke up with her.

I Almost Do continues the girl's perspective, now that she's come to terms with the fact that she actually could have had something great with the boy, and longs to reach out to him, but doesn't because she assumes he's moved on to better things/a better person and doesn't want to ruin what she thinks he has.

Little does she know, far away, the boy, now a man, has driven everything and everyone who cared about him away, and has nothing left but regret and the longing to be with her. Oh, how great his life could be if he could have her, but alas, he doesn't, and therefore his life is shit. Bring on the Nine Inch Nails.

The Promise furthers those feelings, with him now being so delusional that he actually believes that she did him wrong on purpose. I feel like the music of that song perfectly captures his final descent into madness.

Whiskey Lullaby... well, if you know how the song goes, that one's pretty self explanatory.

And finally, One Headlight, which tbh doesn't perfectly fit the story, but I felt was a song I couldn't not have, and would also be a good "end credits" song to end this adventure on.
    Last edited by Dustin Makes Me Feel Good; 03-04-2021 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Clarity

Sun Tuh-Zoo

Status
      Country                    UK

I got stung in Battlecard #2 by not giving any background, and as I can see that Dustin has done here (and it is already costing me!), I think a short but simple summary of the album will be okay to maybe just give a bit more perspective on my selections.

The first two songs (Sax and My Type) are there purely to get the energy going at the start of the album. Sax works as a good first song because it is almost all saxophone throughout, and then with My Type the main hook in the song is that awesome saxophone piece that plays throughout.

Mr. Saxobeat I understand is a marmite song, and it is probably my least favourite out of all of those that I chose, but it is a dance song and it has a saxophone in it, so it fits the bill for what I wanted to have in the first third of the album. Then, This Girl is probably my favourite of the first four songs as it can double as both a dance song and one that can be chilled out too. Big song and one I think goes under the radar a lot when you think about recent dance songs.

Rio for me is the perfect segue into the next third of the main album as it is upbeat but also so easy to listen to for me (as are most Duran Duran songs), and the saxophone firing out at the end acts as almost a 'goodbye' to the high tempo songs that are in the first third of the album.

After that, we go into the 'fun' section right in the middle of the album with Tequila and It's Not Unusual. This would work at a party where you've just danced your ass of too five songs and now you're up for a little fun. First with the collectiveness of Tequila (as everyone knows the words) and then the silliness of It's Not Unusual with everyone doing the Carlton.

Then for me the voice of Tom Jones flows perfectly into the crooning of Bobby Darin in Beyond the Sea. By this point, everyone is joining in and just enjoying themselves singing along to one of the more recognisable songs on the album.

For the final third of the album, it is all about unwinding and getting progressively ready for things to come to an end. Whilst Baker Street has probably my favourite use of the saxophone song ever (I also find it so unironically funny when this song comes on in a supermarket or somewhere like that), I feel it sets the tone for the final three songs, which are those that you can just sit down and listen to and work through thoughts.

Careless Whisper is a classic and has probably the most recognisable saxophone usage in history. Then there is sort of a mini-crescendo for me when Michael Buble comes in radiating the positive energy with Feeling Good, and then True comes in to bring you right back down to finish in a nice mellow state.

Then of course the two bonus tracks are there for realism's sake. Run Away is not only a good song, but gave birth to one of my favourite memes - the Epic Violin Guy is an unsung hero of the song, though. Then assuming this were to be the beginning of a multi-album collection of songs, Down with the Trumpets would be there to let listeners know what they would be in for with the next edition (I am a commercially minded man).

Anyway, hope this helps those to get behind my thinking. I'm not familiar with a lot of the songs on Dustin's album, but it is clearly well thought out and I love the concept. So there's no shame to me for losing out to it if that's how this shakes down.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
    I got stung in Battlecard #2 by not giving any background, and as I can see that Dustin has done here (and it is already costing me!), I think a short but simple summary of the album will be okay to maybe just give a bit more perspective on my selections.

The first two songs (Sax and My Type) are there purely to get the energy going at the start of the album. Sax works as a good first song because it is almost all saxophone throughout, and then with My Type the main hook in the song is that awesome saxophone piece that plays throughout.

Mr. Saxobeat I understand is a marmite song, and it is probably my least favourite out of all of those that I chose, but it is a dance song and it has a saxophone in it, so it fits the bill for what I wanted to have in the first third of the album. Then, This Girl is probably my favourite of the first four songs as it can double as both a dance song and one that can be chilled out too. Big song and one I think goes under the radar a lot when you think about recent dance songs.

Rio for me is the perfect segue into the next third of the main album as it is upbeat but also so easy to listen to for me (as are most Duran Duran songs), and the saxophone firing out at the end acts as almost a 'goodbye' to the high tempo songs that are in the first third of the album.

After that, we go into the 'fun' section right in the middle of the album with Tequila and It's Not Unusual. This would work at a party where you've just danced your ass of too five songs and now you're up for a little fun. First with the collectiveness of Tequila (as everyone knows the words) and then the silliness of It's Not Unusual with everyone doing the Carlton.

Then for me the voice of Tom Jones flows perfectly into the crooning of Bobby Darin in Beyond the Sea. By this point, everyone is joining in and just enjoying themselves singing along to one of the more recognisable songs on the album.

For the final third of the album, it is all about unwinding and getting progressively ready for things to come to an end. Whilst Baker Street has probably my favourite use of the saxophone song ever (I also find it so unironically funny when this song comes on in a supermarket or somewhere like that), I feel it sets the tone for the final three songs, which are those that you can just sit down and listen to and work through thoughts.

Careless Whisper is a classic and has probably the most recognisable saxophone usage in history. Then there is sort of a mini-crescendo for me when Michael Buble comes in radiating the positive energy with Feeling Good, and then True comes in to bring you right back down to finish in a nice mellow state.

Then of course the two bonus tracks are there for realism's sake. Run Away is not only a good song, but gave birth to one of my favourite memes - the Epic Violin Guy is an unsung hero of the song, though. Then assuming this were to be the beginning of a multi-album collection of songs, Down with the Trumpets would be there to let listeners know what they would be in for with the next edition (I am a commercially minded man).

Anyway, hope this helps those to get behind my thinking. I'm not familiar with a lot of the songs on Dustin's album, but it is clearly well thought out and I love the concept. So there's no shame to me for losing out to it if that's how this shakes down.
    I was gonna just not vote, despite your album being a total jam from what I'm familiar with ( yours will be the one I listen to in full next when I get off work in a couple hours on my walk home). But the explanation behind the song choice/order put it over the top for me to get it a vote, as I'm a total sucker for that kind of thing. Hopefully others may do the same soon if they haven't already. Tbh even though its early, its a lot closer than I expected. Good luck to ya dude, and if you beat me, you better win this whole thing lol

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Dustin once again has my vote here.

Let’s push Tom Waits to victory!

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I dig a lot of Dustin's songs, though I've never been big on Teenage Dirtbag or most Killers songs, so it's not a great start to the album for me.

Mandalorian gets my vote. I was impressed when I first heard it and I've gone back and listened to it a couple times since.

I love the effort put in to structuring both albums.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

I like both albums a lot but Dustin's 11-14 ending might be the best four-song stretch of any album in the draft.

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    5x FWA Tag Team Champion

2020 North American Sports Poster Of The Year

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

This is probably the toughest one yet, Dustin by a hair but not taking anything away from Man’s album which is a lot of fun.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Letterboxd

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Thread Information