Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Console Consideration

Status

New Console Consideration

So 1000% not wanting to or trying to star a console war. I haven't jumped on the new generation of consoles yet but getting to that point that I might. Instinctively, I would probably look at the Xbox, which is mainly because I've had the 360 and the One, so I have a pretty decent collection of older gamers. But I have zero loyalty when it comes to stuff like this because I care about getting the best product for me, not who makes it. so I don't want to discount the option of the PS5 without a bit of consideration.

Basically, anyone have experiences / preferences they wanna share to help an oldhead gamer decide?
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Retired

Status
      Country                    Greece

Re: New Console Consideration

I have been a PlayStation guy for 20 years now, I owned a PlayStation 1, 2, 3 and currently 4 with 5 being something I'm planning on moving on to next year. Personally I have never touched an X-Box console but never saw the appeal in its exclusive games and was never tempted to buy one.

If you pick an X-Box over a PS5 you might be more into your element since you are more familiar with the first, but in my view you will be missing out on some amazing exclusive PS games like The Last of Us, God of War, The Uncharted Franchise, Horizon Zero Dawn and many more.

So in my opinion, PS5 > X-Box
    The RED Report!
    (A New Episode every once in a blue moon!)

Greek Beauties - July Entry

Spoiler:

Katerina Stikoudi

Main Eventer

Status

PC> all consoles

i used to be a sony gamer until i bought a gaming pc. Its more versatile, you can customize almost everything from graphics to controls to FPS.

More options. you can use almost any controller now too. xbox no problem dualshock no problem. Steam has integration for both

Games are cheaper.

PC exclusives like RTS, 4x, games

you dont need to pay a fee to use online features.

keyboard and mouse is the best way of playing first person shooters
    Last edited by indyfan; 03-01-2021 at 02:46 PM.
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

Oh, Hamburgers!

Status

Ahh yes, PC. The console he didn't ask about >.>

It really just depends on what you want. If you had an Xbox one and had digital games for it all of them will play on the Series X/S.

If you like the story based games that Sony has then PS5 would probably be the choice for you.

I like my Xbox Series X because it feel like it's 4 generations in one system. With the PS5 if you want to play ps3 games you can't, you have to get a ps3 or stream it from a subscription service. If you just want to play new games going forward and don't care about backwards compatible then either system is a fine choice.

Xbox seems to be the more multiplayer/friends type console and Playstation is the more single player type system.

Status
      Country                    United States

Do you still have the Xbox One? If you do I don't see a lot of reason to upgrade from that position and would recommend a PS5. With the One you'll still be able to use Game Pass to your heart's content and you'll only miss out on upcoming Microsoft exclusives which... so far doesn't look super impressive? With the PS5 you'll get access to all the PS4 content you've missed, with a lot of "free" exclusive coming with a PS+ membership in the form of the PS+ Collection, and while PS Now isn't QUITE as good as Game Pass in terms of selection, it does have pretty efficient streaming on the PS5 if you have a good enough connection.

Duke's right that if you wanna go any further back than PS4 it's not really easily attainable, but again, your One might be able to fill the Retro void in its own way and the PS5 will give you more of current-day gaming at your fingertips.

"We did it. We fucking did it."

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Status

Lol I have a gaming PC. And a gaming laptop. The problem is that the gaming desktop PC is a decade old now. It plays the stuff I play on well enough but I do need to upgrade. I've been looking into it - the case, peripherals, hard drives and power supply are all good to keep going. But I would need a new processor, motherboard, RAM, and video card. Even if I keep things fairly conservative, that's about a $1200 investment. So basically double the cost of a new console. So yeah.... probably not the direction I'm going to head at this point.

I'm a bit all over the place with regards to the games I play. Stuff like GTA, Fallout and Skyrim are where I've poured the most hours into. I almost exclusively play single-player titles.

I hate the idea of console-exclusive titles but its the gaming world we live in. Its actually why I made the switch from PS2 to X-Box 360 back in the day - fell in love with Dead Rising. It was only available on XB so that was the direction I went. going from 360 to one just made sense. And like i said, I almost defaulted to the X-Series. I always wanted both consoles but the cost just makes that unreasonable.

Playing older games is a lovely but for all the free games I've gotten for X-Box One, I basically don't touch them. Not enough gaming hours in the day, basically.

Having the One for older titles and the PS5 for new titles is actually fairly appealing.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Oh, Hamburgers!

Status

I highly doubt they make it exclusive but Microsoft owns the rights to Bethesda now so if they wanted to be jerks Elder Scrolls 6 could be Xbox/PC exclusive.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

I've got both PS5/XSX (I just ordered a gaming PC though).

I dont think Ive touched my PS5 since early January Though I intend on fixing that this month.

XSX has gamepass which is just a massive advantage for me over PS5. I also had an Xbox One previously and most of my friends are on Xbox. PS5 has the better exclusives though. But I dont really like spending money on games that much so my PS5 library is comparatively unimpressive.

So better games = PS5
    Easier/cheaper access to a massive library of games = XSX

Figure out which matters to you more. Those are the only real factors to me. I think youll spend more money with a PS5 in the long run and save more with an XSX.

Oh, Hamburgers!

Status

I normally would agree with PS5 has better exclusives but idk anymore. Maybe just because they are all new to me since I'm mostly a playstation guy but I'm having crazy amounts of fun with Halo and Gears.

I think the main Playstation game I would miss is Last of Us and most people hated part 2 anyway(i loved it).

Retired

Status
      Country                    Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I normally would agree with PS5 has better exclusives but idk anymore. Maybe just because they are all new to me since I'm mostly a playstation guy but I'm having crazy amounts of fun with Halo and Gears.

I think the main Playstation game I would miss is Last of Us and most people hated part 2 anyway(i loved it).
    I loved TLOU 2 and the remastered version of the 1st one as well. As a PS Player who has never touched an X-Box (and isn't much of a PC gamer either) I never had the chance to play Halo or Gears, though I'm hearing these titles are some of the console's best.

But I agree that PS is mostly for those interested in single player games while X-Box is for those into multiplayer.
    The RED Report!
    (A New Episode every once in a blue moon!)

Greek Beauties - July Entry

Spoiler:

Katerina Stikoudi

Status
      Country                    United States

I highly doubt they make it exclusive but Microsoft owns the rights to Bethesda now so if they wanted to be jerks Elder Scrolls 6 could be Xbox/PC exclusive.
    It would have to come out first.

"We did it. We fucking did it."

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Oh, Hamburgers!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    It would have to come out first.
    Yeah well, Skyrim Special SPECIAL edition will be xbox exclusive.

Status

Yeah well, Skyrim Special SPECIAL edition will be xbox exclusive.
    Skyrim Game of the Year Game of the Year Edition will be released exclusive to Xbox, I'm sure.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Still haven't decided yet but I'm leaning Xbox just because of how many games I have for the past 2 generations of it. Money is sitting there but can't fucking find one to buy. Good times lol
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

All About That Ace

Status

Still fairly comfortable saying that the XSX is the better console and the only good thing about PS5 is still its exclusives. The PS5 itself as a console feels incredibly tedious to use. That could still be that Im just used to the Xbox though. But yeah, if I could go back, Im not even sure I would grab the PS5.

Oh, Hamburgers!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlywhiskers View Post
    Still fairly comfortable saying that the XSX is the better console and the only good thing about PS5 is still its exclusives. The PS5 itself as a console feels incredibly tedious to use. That could still be that Im just used to the Xbox though. But yeah, if I could go back, Im not even sure I would grab the PS5.
    I agree with most of this except I still think the PS5 is a great system. If I had to only choose one it would be XSX for sure. I'm playing Lego Stars wars for 360 on it flawlessly which you wouldn't be able to play it on ps5 because it's a ps3 game.

The controller feels more traditional and doesn't have all the gimmicks as the ps5 controller which doesn't make it better BUT it does make the battery last longer. I can usually play about a week or so with my controller before I have to charge it. On Ps4 It would last about a day or two max.(usually 6 hours) It needs to be noted though that like the 360 and XB1 the XSX controller does use batteries so you would need to buy batteries or a rechargeable controller pack that xbox does sell(as well as third party)

There's also GamePass. If you like to play a LOT of games then for the price GamePass is an amazing offer. I got the 3 months for $1 deal when I got the console and it's about to expire soon. After that it's $15 a month and you get Xbox Live Gold, Console GamePass, and PC GamePass. All the games are downloaded to your console so you don't have to worry about your internet cutting out in the middle of the game or anything. I personally probably wont renew GamePass just because I own a ton of games that I haven't even finished yet and most of the games on GamePass I already own or have played/beaten so I just don't seem to be using it very much but I'm sure I'm in the minority there. It's an amazing deal even if it's not the best for me right now.

Now with exclusives. I think this is Sony's only advantage. I do like Halo and Gears of War but games like Uncharted and Spider-Man are amazing games. I also loved Last of Us and even Last of Us 2. I really enjoy these games but I also won't die missing out on them so it's not a huge sell for me but it could be for you.

TL;DR basically it comes down to the games. Do you want to play Uncharted or The Last of Us? Maybe try Heavy Rain or Detroit: Become Human? Get a ps5.
    Do you want to be able to replace your xb1 and not have to worry about having a few consoles to switch between while you play your old games(plus have a 4k bluray player)? get the new Xbox.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Had an Xbox last gen, loved it. Went to the PS5 this gen because I wanted the exclusives and to catch up on the exclusives I missed last gen. I've inadvertently got myself into a pattern of going from Playstation -> Xbox -> Playstation with each gen. It helps me pick up the stuff I might have missed, plus I have the old console if I want to go back to them. I went PS3 to Xbox One and now to PS5.

I'm loving the PS5 so far. The controller feels really good, like a lot of love went into it's design. I still prefer the feel of an Xbox controller in my hand, but I do love the PS5 one.

Difficult to judge on exclusives mind you at this stage. I remember when the PS3 first came out and that had nothing in terms of exclusives. Unless you liked Killzone. By the end of the gen, it had some top tier exclusives like Last of Us and Uncharted. Eventually every console is going to have some good exclusives. Xbox is going to have the Bethesda games for example which is a huge deal, whereas Playstation has the aforementioned Naughty Dog games.

Honestly the only negative for my PS5 so far is that he's a big ugly bastard.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Completely agree with all of Shock's post there (except the subjective stuff based on his gaming history which would be strange for me to agree with), but mostly about it being a big, ugly fucker. It's the ugliest console of any Playstation by a considerable margin. This is important and I really wish they'd put more thought into the design. To be honest I'd prefer a plain box as long as it was black and didn't have those horrible flaps. It is a great console, though. I have limited experience with x-box generally but I haven't been disappointed at all by the PS5.

Fight The Power

Status

I am no loyalist. I owned both Xbox and ps2 at the same time, and the 360 and ps3 at the same time. Last gen, I only did ps4 because xbone was dogshit for exclusives and the best microsoft games were also for PC as well so last gen all you needed was a ps4, Switch and PC to have the full experience of everything you'd want.

I can't yet make the exclusives argument because it's still too early to tell for both. Sony still has a ton of developers swearing exclusive allegiance, however with Microsoft acquiring Besthesda, there's always the possibility that Elder Scrolls 6 being exclusive is a feather in their cap. I can already see myself owning both systems this gen if that's the case, but for right now, in the meantime, the ps5 is the way to go

All About That Ace

Status

Its worth noting that I really dont care for most Bethesda games otherwise maybe I'd value Xbox's exclusivity potential a bit more but the purchase of Bethesda doesn't really compare to the Sony exclusives. I could do without any of the Fallout/Elder Scrolls stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information