Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: THE RED REPORT!

Retired

Status
      Country                    Greece

THE RED REPORT!

"Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the RED Report! Please welcome your host, the heart stopper, the abysmal talker, the irrestistable force, RED!"

*insert clapping sounds*

RED: “Welcome, welcome everyone to the first ever RED Report! This is an idea I’ve been toying around with in the last couple of months. Essentially, it is a way for me to help bring the community together so we can all get to know each other better, remember some BTB projects from the past, bookers and writers from the past but also give the spotlight to those who are currently running their projects and keeping this section going."

"I will try to make this a weekly thing, with a RED Report every Sunday where I will do a review of a BTB PPV of your choice; I will interview a writer in the “RED Challenge” where the person I will interview will have to challenge someone else to do the interview the following week and so on. There is going to be a non-BTB section with the Movie and Video Game of the week, “Memories of RED” where I’ll be doing some flashbacks from my work in RED’s WWE – because shameless self advertiser is my middle name – and lastly I’ll be tossing my opinion on some of the most questionable real life booking decisions ever made in the wrestling world."

"I really need this thing to work and it will only work with your help. How you can help you say? Let’s take a look at what the RED Report will look alike starting from next Sunday”

RED's PPV REVIEW

This is where I’ll be reviewing a PPV written by one of our writers. This is the first part of YOUR job. I need your opinion on who’s work should be featured in this section of the RED Report. Will it be a PPV that someone wrote five years ago? Is it a PPV that was posted last week? A PPV that impressed everyone at the BTB Awards? I’ll be glad to highlight it here and give it my own review, see if I can justify the hype or conclude that it is actually somewhat overrated maybe (insert evil laugh)

BTB of the Week

This is really simple, I’ll say a few general things about someone’s project, it could be a BTB from the past or the present. How many BTB of the month has it won? Has it gone under the radar? It’s very possible that I will end up reviewing the project of whoever I’m going to be interviewing in the episode, because…it kinda makes sense I guess? Still, your suggestions are more than welcome.

Video of the Week

Movie of the Week

Video Game of the Week

The RED Challenge

This is where I’ll be interviewing the episode’s guest. At the end of the interview, my guest will challenge someone else to answer the RED Challenge. For my first interview I hereby challenge………………………..

BATTLETANK!

I challenge BT to take the RED Challenge in the first episode of the RED Report.

Memories of RED

RED’s WWE was such a cheesy name for a BTB project. For all intents and purposes, this was a BTB that was never meant to last. Yet it managed to survive for about 2,5 years and I dare say I’m really proud of it. This is where I will recall some of the best moments from the project and highlight some of my favorite personal work. First episode will feature the best PPV I’ve ever produced in my opinion.

Questionable Real Life Booking Decisions

Everyone that has worked on a BTB Project has been inspired to some extent by the real world of wrestling with the WWE, TNA, NJPW, AEW and other companies providing us with endless amount of inspiration. However, there have been plenty of rather questionable booking decisions made over the years, going back to the 90s (looking at you Hogan at WrestleMania 9) to the 2000s (Katie Vick anyone?) and the 2010s (uncomfortably too many choices in this era) We’ve seen things that no one and I mean NO ONE would ever consider writing about in their BTB Project. Do you have any suggestions on questionable booking decisions you’d like to see highlighted here? Let me know!

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

And I think that’s all for now. I have some more ideas for the future but for now I’d like to start with this formula and see how it goes. Your contribution is important, feel free to share your thoughts on whether you agree with this format or if it’s something that needs a lot of improvement (in which case I’d love to hear your suggestions). Your nominations for the PPV Review and BTB of the Week sections are really important and any ideas you might have for things you want to see in the RED Report are welcome.

This is my effort to keep our community together, my way of entertaining you all and after the disaster of a year I had (well we all probably had) in 2020, this is my way of keeping myself busy and do something I’m really going to enjoy and hopefully you guys will enjoy it as well. If all goes well, next Sunday will see the first episode of the RED Report, until then, take care and be safe!

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: THE RED REPORT!

I love this idea man, something new and fresh that should be fun to do week to week. You’ve set yourself up nicely! I’m looking forward to episode 1! My nominee for PPV and BTB of the week are both from Role Model. Maybe people would rather rehash an old PPV but I prefer the new stuff! lol

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I would like to see some analysis on the second Brock vs Roman Mania match. That was such a baffling match and such an odd decision to have Roman lose. Also I second Jman's suggestion for Role Model

RIP Brodie Lee. You will be missed

Portuguese man o’ war

Status
      Country                    Portugal

I like this idea, RED. Sounds neat, and could be a way to draw attention to some lesser known/followed BTB's in the section.

As for questionable real life booking decisions, how about Randy Orton inexplicably winning the 2017 Royal Rumble?

I'd throw a mention to roy mustangs SummerSlam as a show to look back on; it was from a few months ago, but I don't feel like it got enough love at the time.

Spoiler:

BEING THE BOOKER

Fire Walk with Me

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

I absolutely love this concept, always a fan of things like the Art Of Booking and non-Booker stuff that highlights the writers and the work that goes on here. I wish you all the luck with this and can’t wait to read your interview with BattleTank. For PPV of the week, it would seem fitting to look at Backlash by Keefmoon giving that they’ve just got BTBOTM - although I also really enjoyed Role Model’s GAB.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Props on this RED, seems like a really cool idea.

PPV to look at, a few months ago Deco posted a Halloween Havoc in his AEW BTB which flew a little under the radar.

Comeback King

Status
      Country                    England

This is awesome RED. Great idea and one to help this place grow even more as a community even though it is already the best. I'll hold off suggestions for now but I'd love to look at some of the older BTB PPVs that have won awards and see how they hold up.

Jam Up Guy

Status

Great idea Red, I'll definitely be checking this out. Could be a lot of fun and very different from everything else on here.

In terms of the first PPV to check out, I echo Wolfy's shout for Roy's Summerslam, but I'd also love to see you go way back in to the vaults and see what you dig up. Maybe the Show of the Year from 2013 or something random like that. Something that had a lot of buzz at the time, but relative newbies like me would have missed out on. Especially if it's someone who doesn't post so much on here anymore.

Bo Dallas Mark

Status

I'd like to also shout out a potential BTB of the week to Roy Mustang. I think his falls under the radar when it comes to Modern Day BTBs. His work is really enjoyable.
    Saus X W/L Record
    2/0/1

Crimson Knights W/L Record
    0/0/0

Currently Writing:
    WWE 2017
    31st Hunger Games

Retired

Status

I'm very excited to announce that the 1st episode of the RED Report is 80% finished and I'd like to thank you all for your suggestions and for embracing this idea. If all goes well, the first episode will be up this Sunday with BattleTank taking on The Red Challenge, me doing a review of a huge BTB PPV from the past and much much more! Stay tuned.

Retired

Status

"Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the RED Report! Please welcome your host, the heart stopper, the abysmal talker, the irrestistable force, RED!"

*insert clapping sounds*

"Greetings everyone and welcome to the first episode of the RED Report! I hope you all enjoy what I have in store for you tonight, this project is still a work in progress with plenty of room for improvements so any and all feedback is welcome! Now let's dive in shall we?"

RED's PPV REVIEW

Lots of people might not know this but I have a soft spot for Sykotic. An iconic figure in our BTB section, BTB Legend, Match of the Year, Storyline of the Year, you name it, he’s done it. Personally – and with all due respect to the rest of our great writers – I consider him the GOAT of the section and someone I always looked up to as a booker myself. So it’s only fitting that the first BTB PPV I will review is coming from his project “WWE 2012 – A New Direction” This particular show won “Show of the Year” back in 2015. I’m obviously talking about…

WRESTLEMANIA 29

Kicking off with the kick-off (heh) it’s a Fatal 4 Way match for the WWE TV Championship featuring Heath Slater defending against Richie Steamboat, Mark Henry and The Miz. I recall how well Slater and Steamboat were treated in this BTB but I can’t seem to remember what the Miz was up to back then. Very solid 4 way dance with a nice final sequence that sees Slater pinning Steamboat to retain. I like Slater retaining here clean despite how over Steamboat was. **

The 2nd pre-show match is brother vs. brother with Dashing Cody Rhodes taking on the Bizarre One Goldust. Cody is the heel here and his spot in the MITB Ladder match is on the line. For my two cents, I’d build this feud for the main show without a MITB spot being involved. The story writes itself here and anyone can do it better than real life WWE. Anyway, Goldust ends up costing himself the match as he went for Shattered Dreams (to kick his brother in the balls I mean) but was stopped by the referee who didn’t want to see the match end with a low-blow I guess. As he argues with the ref, Rhodes is able to hit a Disaster kick/Cross Rhodes combo for the win. The match was ok but I feel there was so much that could have been done here. Cody keeps his MITB spot and we’ll see him against later on. **

The opening match sees Prince Devitt (or Finn Balor for those not in the loop) defending the Cruiserweight Championship against the “Supernatural” Gregory Helms. I don’t know what’s so supernatural about Helms but the match serves as a great opener, lots of great nearfalls, back and forth action – basically, everything you need in an opening match to get the crowd excited is here. Bal…Ahem, Devitt wins with the Bloody Sunday (1916?) to retain the CW Title. ****

Second match of the main show is “The Unreachable Ryder” vs. “African Air” Justin Gabriel. Ok Syk we get it, you like cool nicknames, now cut it off! Apparently this match is for Adam’s Freedom! Adam is Gabriel’s younger brother who Gabriel kind of abandoned after their father passed away and eventually Ryder became a brother figure to Adam. The two brothers competed at No Way Out with Adam getting himself DQ’d after hitting his brother with a chair. So from what I can gather, Ryder has manipulated and turned Adam against Gabriel but if Gabriel wins then he gets to have his brother back in the family? I can’t say I remember this story and to be honest I kinda hate it haha. Never was a fan of family drama in wrestling, especially when others are involved. If this was simply Adam vs. Gabriel ala Kane vs. The Undertaker but with humans instead of paranormal monsters, perhaps I would be more invested.

There is a referee bump at some point and that brings out Adam and Riley (Ryder’s other lackey) Adam and Riley beat the crap out of Gabriel but eventually, Adam gets cold feet and hesitates to finish his brother off. That causes Riley to slap him which in turn causes Adam to take him out and walk out on Ryder. Gabriel then just wins with the 450 splash and secures Adam’s freedom I guess? After the match, the two brothers embrace in the ring only for Ryder to summon two mystery men (one is Moxley, the other I’m not sure) to come out and beat the holy hell out of the brothers. Apparently, Ryder, Moxley and the other guy are The Flood now. I didn’t like this. I’d have Gabriel and his brother have their WrestleMania moment and have The Flood debut the next night on Raw/SD. **

The next match sees Alberto Del Rio taking on Seth Rollins. No cool nicknames this time. This feud started when Rollins made his debut by picking up a win over Del Rio. Now that was a very good match, Rollins gave his best and looked like a million bucks even in defeat. Del Rio won with the Cross-Armbreaker but a bloodied Rollins didn’t tap out, instead he passed out ala Stone Cold. After the match, Del Rio places the Mexican flag over Seth’s carcass. Good stuff. ****

Next is a Tag Team match with the Chickbusters AJ Lee & Kaitlyn taking on Natalya and Beth Phoenix aka the Divas of Doom. I’m quite surprised this match never happened in real life tbh. AJ’s Women’s title is on the line here with the condition that whoever scores the decisive fall will win the title. Syk handled the Divas Division better than Vince by turning it into the Women’s Division and putting the spotlight on the talented women of the roster. I should mention that the Divas of Doom are the heels here. It is a fun match with AJ scoring the victory over Natalya following a sitout facebuster. I really wish she won with the Black Widow but still, the match served its purpose. ***

Up next is another tag team contest, this time it’s Beer Money challenging Legacy (Ted Dibiase Jr. and Blackjack Rotunda aka Husky Harris, aka Bray Wyatt, aka Hurt/Heal) for the WWE Tag Team Titles. A decent match that ends via DQ as Roode hits a Double R Spinebuster on Dibiase but Rotunda breaks up the pin via hitting Roode with one of the title belts. That brings out Edge who is a GM (?) to restart the match on the condition that if Legacy gets DQ’d or counted out they lose the titles. Naturally, that leads to Rotunda smashing a beer bottle on Roode’s face while the referee was distracted by Storm and Dibiase who were fighting at ringside. So what was the point in restarting the match if Legacy was going to cheat to win anyway despite the special condition that was added? It makes both Edge and Beer Money look like chumps to me. If you ask me, I’d run this as a tornado no holds barred tag team match from the get go with Legacy retaining thanks to a bottle smash (because that was a cool spot) After the match, Bo Dallas comes out to cheer up Roode and Storm by telling them that they can make up for their loss if they BOLIEVE! Obviously, it didn’t end well for Dallas. The match and post-match segment shouldn’t have been on the WrestleMania card imo, it looked more like stuff you see on Raw or SD, sorry Syk. **

And now we go to one of the biggest matches of the night and one I clearly remember loving the first time I read it. It’s Wrestling’s Worst Nightmare Kevin Steen vs. The Animal Batista. I remember hating Matt Striker as Steen’s manager and I still do. Fuck Striker, Steen/Owens doesn’t need that tool by his side. Meanwhile, Batista is making a big return to the ring after years away and is a big fan favorite. This was a very intense battle with many brutal spots, including a Batista Bomb to Striker through the Spanish announce table. That’s right, piss off you little shit. Lots of back and forth action until the end that sees Batista coming up victorious following a Batista Bomb to hand Steen his first pinfall loss in the WWE. Match of the night so far, both guys looked amazing and the right person won. Nothing but good things to say about this, Syk was obviously very invested in this feud and it shows. ****

MITB Ladder Match time! The participants are: The Phenomenal AJ Styles, Bully Ray, Chris Sabin, Dashing Cody Rhodes, The Product of Perfection Joe Hennig, Kofi Kingston, The Viper Randy Orton, Wade Barrett and RVD. Nine people competing in this ladder match – OOOOFFF!! I’ve done my fair share of MITB Ladder matches and multi-person matches in general and I know that the more people you have to write about, the more you back yourself into a corner. Because you have to find something for everyone involved to do, to justify their spot in the match. Nine people would have been too much for me to handle haha.

Anyway, let’s count the big spots of the match: Sabin hits a moonsault on the outside while holding a ladder to take out everyone at ringside, lots of big moves like the Winds of Change and the Cradle Shock on the ringside floor, Regal, Williams and “I deserve more” McIntyre come out to help Barrett so now Syk has to write about 12 people, Bully Ray and Orton hit a 3-D on McIntyre, Styles Clash to Chris Sabin off the top rope into a ladder (!), RVD has his hands on the briefcase but instead he goes to hit 5 Star Frog Splash from the top of the ladder on AJ Styles but…he misses (what a moron), Barrett cleans house with a steel chair, Sabin somehow survives the Styles Clash on the ladder only to get a Wasteland off the top of the ladder by Barrett, Orton kills Barrett with an RKO from the top of the ladder, RVD misses another frog-splash and crashes into a ladder, Sabin is revived and then eats a Bully Bomb through a perched ladder, Richie Steamboat interferes to prevent Orton from winning and turning heel in the process, Unreachable Ryder interferes to prevent Styles from winning with a Falling Inverted DDT from the top of the ladder, Kingston wins in the most lame fashion ever as he is aided by Ezekiel Jackson in climbing the ladder and winning.

Now hear me out, the match was the spot-fest you would expect and most of the spots delivered, however, there were lots of things that bothered me here. For starters, there was lots of interference from Britannia to Steamboat and then to Ryder, it just felt off to me, like two programs kicked off at WrestleMania with Ryder/Styles and Orton/Steamboat and I’m not sure this was the way to get them going. Also, too many people were involved even though I believe the match would have been much better with fewer superstars competing. What purpose did RVD served? He had the match won and instead he missed with a frog-splash and then missed with a second one later on. Sabin was there just to get his ass handed to him. Remove the “Supernatural” nickname from Helms and place it on Sabin because only someone with supernatural abilities could survive so many brutal spots in one match. Rhodes and Hennig were just there and neither one ever stood a chance of winning.

Personally, I would have run this with 6 guys – Kofi, Barrett, Styles, Orton, Bully Ray. Perhaps even squeeze Hennig there too but I would simply had him accompany Rhodes in his match against Goldust earlier on (which based on the fact that Rhodes didn’t really do much here, didn’t need the MITB spot on the line condition) At the end of the day, I left this match eager for a Orton-Bully Ray feud but instead I got Steamboat coming out to start a program with Orton. If memory serves me right, Steamboat went on to join Legacy afterwards. Still, that’s an angle I’d run on Raw, not WrestleMania. And don’t get me started on Unreachable Ryder. No offense but he is my pick as the worst character from this project. Bray Wyatt is a masterpiece of a gimmick in comparison. And the ending with Kingston being aided by Jackson to climb and win even though there was no one there to stop him anyway just felt wrong. I had high hopes going into this match but left disappointed. **

Up next it’s the Celtic Warrior Sheamus defending the Intercontinental Championship against Christian. I like how this is face vs face with the crowd being torn on who to cheer for. Much like Del Rio/Rollins, this is a very competitive back and forth battle between two guys with great chemistry that you feel comfortable writing about. Christian gets a controversial victory as he ducks under a Brogue kick and rolls up Sheamus with a fistful of trunks to win the title. After the match, Christian offers a handshake and Sheamus accepts it but he also lets Christian know that he isn’t particularly happy with how things went down. Christian doesn’t make a full heel turn as he simply leaves with the title. This was good, a nice story was told but the ending kinda took something away. With this being WrestleMania, I’d have Sheamus get the clean win with Christian turning full heel mode afterwards to attack him. Similar to what they did with Styles and Nakamura in real life really, but I think it would work well here. Nonetheless, this was a solid match with a decent story being told. ***

The third tag team contest of the night sees CM Punk and Daniel Bryan taking on The Kings of Wrestling Cesaro and Hero. If Punk and Bryan win he gets his ability to challenge for the WWE Championship back, if they lose, Punk loses his ability to challenge for the title. GM Shawn Michaels cost Bryan the title back at SummerSlam, he beat Bryan at Armageddon with help from Cesaro and Hero, CM Punk inserted himself into the mix by saving Bryan from an attack by Kings of Wrestling and thus got on the bad side of HBK. Punk and Bryan have been bumping heads ever since, Punk eliminated Bryan from the Rumble and accidentally cost him a match against Hero at No Way Out, leading to Bryan losing his championship rights. Now you’ve got two of the very best in the same ring, there is no way you can go wrong with that. Syk pulls it off masterfully, this is a very fun match, a classic tag team affair with great action.

Spot of the night sees Punk accidentally taking out Bryan and then walking into the KRS-ONE by Cesaro and Hero but he barely kicks out at 2,5! It’s all for nothing though as seconds later the Kings of Wrestling deliver a European uppercut/ Discus Elbow smash combo for the win. Meh, I would have ended it in the KRS-ONE spot, but still the match was great, 2nd best match of the night after Batista/Steen. After the match Daniel Bryan finally snaps and destroys CM Punk. I mean, who DIDN’T see that coming right? Well the stipulation that now Punk and Bryan can’t challenge for the WWE Championship in the next six months doesn’t really matter to me. So what? They can still challenge in six months, it’s not THAT big of a deal. If anything this entire rivalry served as a way to kick off the Punk vs. Bryan program. Cesaro and Hero only served as henchmen with no real motive to compete in this match other than to please HBK. I’d have this match be for the titles OR I’d scrap this idea completely and build a Punk/Bryan program starting from the Royal Rumble, leading to a match here. Still, this was a very fun match and a cool heel turn (I can see why that didn’t happen in the previous match now) and despite the fact that the stipulation didn’t add anything to me, I enjoyed this. ****

Main event time and it’s the 2013 Royal Rumble winner Dolph Ziggler taking on the WWE Champion John Morrison. Personally I’m not a fan of Morrison being in the WWE Title picture and main eventing WrestleMania. I never saw him as someone that can compete at this stage, he is more of a mid-card act and even then he has nothing on The Miz for example. In other news, both guys click better to me as heels but if I had to pick one of the two to be the face, that would be Ziggler. HBK is the special guest referee here as the fans are super behind Ziggler. This was the match that won “Match of the Year” at the BTB Awards (and Ziggler’s road to WrestleMania won “Storyline of the Year”)

Personally, I don’t think it’s quite there even though it’s a great match and a great way to end the show. I am not sure but I think that back then, I voted for Steen vs. Batista as MOTY instead of this. Looking at it now, my opinion hasn’t changed. Still, this was a great match with lots of action and high drama, but once again the ending leaves a lot to be desired here. Morrison goes to unravel the turnbuckle pad in an attempt to cheat as he is desperate to put Ziggler away but HBK steps in and doesn’t allow it. As HBK is distracted fixing the turnbuckles, Morrison goes to use the WWE Title belt but Ziggler ducks and hits the Zig-Zag for the win. I wouldn’t have done any of that tbh, if HBK isn’t going to screw Ziggler over then put all the Attitude Era spots away and just have Ziggler reverse a moonlight drive into the Zig-Zag or something. Or even hit a superkick of his own before delivering the Zig-Zag for the win. With that said, I still liked it even though I’m not sold on either guys as WrestleMania main eventers. Still, I recall Steen going after Ziggler for the title a few months later which was awesome. ****

Final thoughts – Was this a huge show? Hell yeah! Syk put everything he had into writing this and he deserves all the credit he got back then. Does it still hold up after nearly six years? Well that’s not up to me to say. I will say that I loved Steen vs. Batista, the tag team match with Kings of Wrestling was great, the main event was great and the opening match was great as well. Christian/Sheamus and Del Rio/Rollins were excellent undercard matches and the Women’s Tag Match was fun. The bad were the stuff with Ryder and Gabriel’s family, the Tag Team Championship match and the MITB Ladder match. But three matches in a 11 match card (13 with the kick-off) doesn’t really mean much. This was WrestleMania and after reading it, it truly felt like the biggest show of them all.

Score: 8.5/10 (Had the MITB and Tag Team titles matches been better this would have been an easy 9. Had the Unreachable Ryder been erased from existence this would have been a perfect 10.)

Do I recommend it to anyone that hasn’t seen it? Well, duh!

BTB of the Week

I’d like to thank you all for your suggestions; I will keep your ideas in the list of future BTB’s to review in the following episodes. Much like in the previous category, I went a little back in time for this, and just like Sykotic, Charlemm1 is someone I’m really fond of.

To this day, I have no idea what his username means, but he is someone I consider to be a good buddy of mine and a damn fine writer. His ECW booker lasted a year (2016-2017) with a total of 24 awesome episodes. Thanks to this BTB the bastard beat me at the end of the year awards by 1 point for “most improved individual of the year” (Perhaps that’s the “1” in his username?)

The feud between the mega heel and very well written Chael Sonnen and the ECW Originals scored 2nd place for storyline of the year, while Sonnen himself tied 2nd place with Syk’s Kevin Steen as best booked individual. The Guilty as Charged PPV is a highlight of the project featuring two MOTY candidates in AJ Styles vs. Jay Lethal and CM Punk vs. Roderick Strong while the Barely Legal PPV also delivered. This BTB as a whole became so popular in the section it dominated the BTB of the month awards and came 2nd place for BTB of the Year – losing by 1 point to HugLife – so it was a shame to see it end when it did. Still, Charlem deserves all the praise he gets and even more some for his work in this BTB and his entire contribution to the section over the years. A round of applause to the guy with the weird username!

Netflix Presents: ECW, A Paul Heyman Production

http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=164110

Video of the Week

Movie of the Week

"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain"

Video Game of the Week

"War. War Never Changes"

Interview with a Booker

RED: Greetings my friend BT and thank you for accepting my challenge! I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you in person for reaching out to me a few months ago and tell you that I appreciate your concern.

BT: Hey man! Thanks for thinking of me for the first interview, it means a lot. You are very welcome, I know it isn't much getting support from a guy on a wrestling forum, but going through tough times personally, I know that coming on here and getting lost for a few hours makes a ton of difference.

RED: Tell me about yourself first. Anything about you will suffice, personal or generic info (name, age, what you do for work etc) Whatever you feel comfortable to say about yourself.

BT: Alright, let’s kick this off. My name is Chris, I am 29 years old. I live in a small town on the Jersey Shore (no, not the show-that’s like an hour south from me) I will take the Bam Bam Bigelow/Joey Janela approach and say I am from Asbury Park, NJ since that seems to be where all wrestlers from my area hail from.

I wish I could say my main job is booking on here, but unfortunately it isn’t. I am a high school football coach, and have been coaching in some capacity since the 2010 season. I tore my ACL which ultimately ended my playing days. I transitioned to coaching in college-started all the way at the bottom as the tech/video guy, and worked all the way up until I was coaching my own position by my Junior year. Once I graduated I came back home and have been coaching at the high school I played at since 2014, which is pretty cool.

RED: When did you decide to write as a booker? What was the very first thing you wrote about?

BT: I guess you could say I have been booking since before I even knew what it was. My earliest memories of booking in some sort of capacity had to be when I was around 5 years old. The first book I really truly read over and over again was the 1998 PW Almanac. I used to read the PPV results every night, and decided to start my very own “BTB” with my wrestling figures. I even went as far as to take my father’s watch and attempt to time out my matches.

In a BTB sense, I started over on PW Forums back in 2016. I had followed the BTB community on numerous sites for years but never had the courage to start my own. Right after I started posting on there, I discovered WC. The rest, as they say, is history. We will all pretend that my first attempt here at a BTB on WC- A WCW 2000 project that lasted all of a month, never happened

RED: Tell me about your work in WWF - 1991 and Beyond. I reckon it is the third year that this BTB is active which is very impressive. Did you expect it to last that long? Do you plan on sticking with it for a long time? And lastly, give us a tease for any future plans you have for that project.

BT: It’s crazy to think that it has been three years already. In a funny way, I got the idea for an early 90’s WWF project from finding all my old Hasbro figures while cleaning out my room. I gave them to my nephew to play with, and the ideas started rolling as I stared at them in a shoebox in my room. The first question I had was “why didn’t LOD face Demolition at WM7?” From there, the wheels started spinning and I came up with what eventually became 1991 and Beyond.

I started planning the WWF thread in late 2016, over a year before I actually posted it. So for the entire year of 2017, I just planned as far out in advance as I possibly could. I set a goal to get everything as cleaned up as possible and post on my birthday, which I achieved. I found the end point made sense at Wrestlemania 12, which is where I will ultimately end the thread-in about 10 years from now

I plan on seeing WWF through until the very end, even if I end up creating multiple BTB’s from multiple time periods monthly. In a sense, creating other projects makes me quickly realize how lucky I am to get as deep into WWF that I am right now. I always say that I’m married to this WWF project, for better or for worse.

As for a teaser, I’ll just say that I set a goal to give the WWF Championship to somebody obscure and different than real life each year. For 91 it was Mr. Perfect. 92 was Jake Roberts. For 93, 94, and 95, you’ll all just have to wait and see who gets the keys to the castle.

RED: I feel I should congratulate you for being a BTB Legend. Did you expect that honor to come so soon? How do you feel about it?

BT: Thank you. It was a surreal feeling when I saw Wolf’s post in December. When I first started booking, I never thought I would make it past a few months. I never expected to get a vote in the BTBOTM, so becoming a Legend three years later is really cool. Keefmoon was really a driving factor for me pushing through. Wolf Beast also. Stojy helped me out a ton, as did Zoom. All four Legends that I look up to and hope to reach their writing skills one day.

I feel pretty excited about it. Slapping a Legend tag on my signature is fun, but I see it as a responsibility to help this place succeed more than it already has. I always joke with Wolf Beast that at the moment I am semi-retired, just a part-timer who makes graphics and leaves the occasional predictions post. I’m pretty content right now with just helping out with Graphics. I plan on getting back to writing soon, I just need some time off to re-charge for a bit.

RED: Name your Mount Rushmore of the BTB Section.

BT: Mine would be (in no particular order) Wolf Beast, Keefmoon, Zoom-E and Stojy. There are a ton of other guys who have posted before my time that deserve to be on it, but just from my time being here at WC and following them forever on other sites, these four are the measuring stick when it comes to BTB writing at its finest.

RED: Any other bookers/writers out there that you have been impressed with?

BT: I’m a big fan of Deco’s work, have been since I became active here. BigMC123 isn’t as active as he once was, but I always am fascinated with the way he writes out his matches. JMan has a really fun thread. The trio of Dubb, Ty and DYSI (the ringers Zoom brought in ) all are top-tier writers.

RED: How have you been dealing with the pandemic? Covid has been controlling our lives for about a year now, are you confident that it is approaching its end or do you think we still have a long way to go? How has this situation affected you personally?

BT: Personally, it hasn’t affected me much because I refuse to let it. It’s really just about adapting to everything right now, and hoping that this turmoil is only temporary. I just try to not let it bother me. I know people have it much worse than I do right now, so I try to focus on the good in life instead of the craziness that surrounds us.

I don’t like being restricted from doing anything, really, which was tough for the first few months when I had a lot planned personally for the Spring/Summer months and the entire world seemingly shut down. Eventually I navigated around it, and now it doesn’t bother me as much as it did. If anything, it made me grateful for the little things in life, like spending more time with my family, being able to go out to eat, and watching any type of game/sporting event on TV.

I hope we are closer to the end than the beginning, as I know the pandemic has brought a lot of pain and suffering for a lot of people around the world, which sucks.

RED: I'm speaking from experience when I say that dedicating time and spiritual effort on a BTB project is nowhere near as simple as it might sound. What's your secret in balancing things between real life commitments and fantasy booking?

BT: It is certainly a labor of love. At times, you feel like anything you write down is shit, which is a slippery slope to an extended period of writer’s block. When it gets like that, I try to take a step back and remember that we are all writing for fun, and this BTB section is an escape from the real world. Once you look at it from that perspective, it becomes fun again. Sometimes a bad day will lead to a productive night writing.

I try to write as much as possible in the first half of the year, because on the summer hits it is hard to balance coaching and writing when I don’t have much free time. From August through Thanksgiving, I don’t have much time for myself, and my free time goes solely to playing Madden However, I do my best thinking while at football, and some of my best ideas came while riding the bus to Away games. So, my BTB is on my mind at all times, because you never know when a solid idea will pop up.

RED: Alright Chris, it is time for you to challenge the next person to take The RED Challenge! Who will it be?

BT: Thanks for taking the time for this interview, man. I am excited to see this thing blossom into something really fun and different on here, and I will say that this was a lot of fun. I don’t think I’ve ever been interviewed on a wrestling forum before, so I can now cross this off my bucket list Hopefully I left some sort of motivation or inspiration in here for somebody looking for it.

I’ll go with a young gun for the next interview, and I will nominate JMan.

RED: Thanks a lot Chris you did great. I appreciate that you took the time to participate and I'm really glad I got to learn a little more about you. I wish you nothing but the best!

So there you have it, BattleTank has challenged JMan. Will JMan accept and take the RED Challenge?

Memories of RED

This is where I dig into some of my old work from back in RED’s WWE. For our first episode I decided to go with a PPV I’m really proud of. Let’s see how 2021 me sees my work from 2016 and if there’s anything I’d do differently.

SummerSlam 2013

Opening match is a US Title bout between Jack Swagger and Sin Cara. No, no, no, stop, stop, stop, this is definitely not an attempt by me to copy the opening match from SummerSlam 2002 between Kurt Angle and Rey Mysterio. Not even close. What do you mean I treated Swagger as a Kurt Angle copycat? And so what if I have Sin Cara using the 619? Alright FINE! But in my defense this was a solid opening match with great action! And my Swagger/Sin Cara match wasn’t bad either… Anyway, Swagger wins with the Patriot Lock. Yeah, yeah, that’s how Angle won too whatever. ***

Second match is a filler…ahem, a Fatal 4 Way Tag Team Match for the titles. The Usos are defending against RyAxel, Big E/Shelton Benjamin and The Miz/Alberto Del Rio. For the record, RyAxel is Mason Ryan and Curtis Axel, with Ryan serving as this project’s Ryback. Del Rio and Miz made an unorthodox heel team over the previous months with the two disliking each other but working well together nonetheless. Big E and Benjamin on the other hand was my attempt to create a more serious New Day team with two guys instead of three. This was their first PPV match as a team and they ended up winning the titles leading to me naming them “The World’s Finest” If I’d change something today, I think I’d place this match between the two co-main event matches later down the card. ***

Up next is Antonio Cesaro defending the Intercontinental Championship against my favorite WWE Superstar of all time Kane. Storyline wise this is less about Kane/Cesaro and more about Cesaro/Heyman/Lesnar. Cesaro has been Heyman’s second client for months now with Heyman claiming that Cesaro was the next “next big thing” while giving more praise to his bigger client, much to Cesaro’s frustration. The eventual Cesaro-Lesnar program was supposed to be the crown jewel of my project but unfortunately it never saw the light of day. Screw it, next week I’ll dedicate the entire “Memories of RED” part to this feud. The ending features a count out ending which sucks but it is also brilliant in the long term because of the way it happened. As Cesaro is outside with Kane having the upper hand, Heyman prevents Cesaro from re-entering thus causing Cesaro to lose via count out but keep the title. I’m sorry but I really think that was a good idea back then and I still stand by it. On the next PPV Cesaro beats Kane clean in a No Holds Barred match to end the feud. ***

Next is a war of the factions between The Shield and The Syndicate. Rollins, Reigns and Ambrose have been tearing through the competition but by doing so ended up making a lot of enemies along the way. Three of those enemies came together with Drew McIntyre, Sheamus and Wade Barrett joining forces to end the Shield’s path of destruction. This was the first chapter in the “All Out War” storyline with Shield winning this match, The Syndicate winning the rematch at the next PPV and finally with the Shield prevailing in a 6 man tag inside the Elimination Chamber to win the war. I’m really fond of the work I did with this even though I’d change two things: 1) I’d have the two teams swap face/heel status during the 2nd bout with a desperate Syndicate resorting to heel tactics to win and 2) I’d come up with a better name than Syndicate. If anything, that was a heel name on its own. Eventually the Syndicate was supposed to be disbanded a few months later with Sheamus carrying on in the US Title picture and Barrett/McIntyre continuing as the Ruthless Barrage in the tag team division. ****

The next match is Divas Champion AJ Lee taking on the new comer Paige in the first bout of a Best of 5 Series for the title. Looking back, it was a mistake calling Paige over so soon since she would be a little green on the main roster in 2013 and too new to be thrusted into the title picture. But then again, that’s how poor the division was at the time. Paige wins the first bout and the feud was supposed to drag all the way to December’s Armageddon PPV with Paige winning the fifth bout to capture the title. **

The sixth contest is a bunch of guys thrown together in a 6 pack challenge because I had nothing else to do with them. John Cena, Randy Orton, RVD, Chris Jericho, Dolph Ziggler and the Big Show battle it out with the winner becoming #1 contender for the WWE Championship. At the time, Big Show was paired with “Mr. Big Time” Aaron Stevens (aka Damien Sandow) After a series of finishing moves (Attitude Adjustment and Lionsault) Show is about to bite the dust but Stevens comes out to make the save. However, as Stevens goes to help Show up, Big Show knocks him out, mistaking him for one of his opponents. One RKO – 5 Star Frog Splash later and the giant is the first one to be eliminated. This would lead to a feud between Show and Stevens with the latter turning babyface. RVD is the next one to go as Orton catches him in mid-air during another frog splash attempt with an RKO OUT OF NOWHERE! Ziggler is eliminated by a Codebreaker and Jericho is eliminated by an AA. Orton and Cena are the last men standing because that’s a very fresh and exciting pairing. Cena wins to no one’s surprise. Cena would go on to challenge for the title at the never written Survivor Series PPV. ***

Up next is the show’s co-main event with CM Punk taking on The Rock. In this universe this is the first meeting between the two so it is a fresh program that couldn’t wait for WrestleMania. I think it lived up to the hype and Rock won what I was planning to be his last match in the WWE. Can’t really remember what I was going to do with CM Punk afterwards though. ****

The main event is my personal MOTN, MOTYC and arguably one of the best matches I ever wrote. Daniel Bryan defends the WWE Championship against the Beast Brock Lesnar. Bryan is having a reign similar to Benoit with him becoming champion in a triple threat match at WrestleMania (unifying the WWE and World Heavyweight titles in the process) in a match that also involved Cena and Ziggler. That’s another match I’m really proud of but that’s a discussion for another day. Brock vs. Bryan was a program I was really invested in and the match ended up being better than I imagined it. Strangely, it is quite similar to the match they had two years later in real life, only though Bryan isn’t a heel here and this is No DQ but Bryan really takes the fight to Brock and even comes very close to winning. In the end, Lesnar hits an F-5 on a chair to win the title but Bryan looked like a million bucks. The plan was for Bryan to take some time off and return at the Rumble to win it for the 2nd straight year and win back the title at WrestleMania. Obviously that never happened. *****

I had tons of fun writing this show and I’d love to hear your thoughts as well if you give it a read. This and my WrestleMania 29 are probablythe best PPV’s I wrote as a booker here.

http://wrestlingclique.com/showthrea...post2103754863

Questionable Real Life Booking Decisions

Case File 1: Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar - Universal Championship / WrestleMania 34
    (Suggested by roy mustang)

Ah, the good old days where the ultimate goal of the WWE writers was to… MAKE ROMAN LOOK STRONG! Brock won the Universal title by defeating Oldberg a year before at WrestleMania 33 and successfully defended the title against Samoa Joe at The Great Balls of Fire, against Joe, Reigns and Braun Strowman at SummerSlam, against Braun Strowman at No Mercy and against Braun Strowman and Kane at the Royal Rumble. Reigns on the other hand had a big rivalry with Strowman during the summer of 17 and even pinned John Cena clean at the No Mercy PPV. At the Elimination Chamber PPV, Braun (he gets mentioned a lot in this article) eliminated Elias, Miz, Cena, Balor and Rollins inside the Chamber only to eventually be defeated by Reigns, giving Roman the ticket to challenge Lesnar at WrestleMania.

History lesson over. Let the rant begin!

Fucking writers. Fucking Vince McMahon with his fucking obsessions! So Lesnar has been built as the unstoppable beast of a champion who beats everyone and no one can survive the F-5. Reigns on the other hand is probably the biggest heel in the company following his disaster of a match with The Undertaker at Mania 33 but he is treated as the badass babyface who…has to fight the odds? Give me a fucking break. He kicks out of three FU’s (ok AA’s) and beats Cena with ONE Spear before pinning Strowman in the Chamber after Strowman had devoured everyone else in there? The same Strowman who went to war with Kane and Lesnar at the Rumble, WASN’T the one that got pinned and vowed to get his hands on Lesnar again?

I need one person, just ONE guy to come out and say that they were excited and hyped about this ridiculous match. Not only wasn’t it anywhere near as good as their first encounter at Mania 31, it was a freaking awful match, Reigns kicked out of five(!) F-5’s and in the end…It didn’t even do what it was originally set out to do! Reigns lost clean after the 6th F-5 and the rivalry continued with a pathetic Steel Cage match at the Greatest Blood Money PPV which was also won by Lesnar in cheap fashion. In the end, Reigns won the title the third time (their fourth match overall) thanks to a distraction by…yes, you guessed it, Braun Strowman, the guy who SHOULD have been feuding with Lesnar all this time. So how can you salvage this crap?

Surely, you officially turn Reigns heel since he’s a cheap ass champion and have Braun chase for the title, right? NO! You turn Strowman heel and you have him form a pseudo Shield with Ziggler and McIntyre. What a pile of garbage. People blame Brock Lesnar for ruining the Universal title back then but the truth is, it was Vince’s obsession with Reigns that really did that. Brock had a decent run with the title after Mania 33 until he crossed paths with Reigns again and all went downhill afterwards.

You may ask, how would I book this? Well I would have Braun Strowman inserted into the championship match at WrestleMania for starters. An all out war between those three monsters would have been much better than that disaster of a main event we had. Pull the fucking trigger on Reigns or surprise everyone by having Strowman finally win the title and conclude the year long rivalry between Reigns and Strowman afterwards with the title on the line. At the end of the day, it’s not just the fact that they didn’t have Reigns win the match that bothers me as much as the fact that the stupid match actually happened in the first place. It was a combination of bad writing and awful short term booking so thank you Lesnar for tossing the belt at Vince’s face after the match.

What did you guys think of the Roman-Lesnar match at WrestleMania 34? What would you do differently if it was up to you? How would you book this disaster of a feud?

"And that concludes our first episode of the RED Report! On the slim chance that you are still here then thank you and I hope you had fun reading this. Like I said, this is still a work in progress with plenty of room for improvement. Let me know what you think. Until the next episode, I bid you all farewell, take care and stay healthy!"

Bo Dallas Mark

Status

9.9/10 first episode. -.1 point for no mention of Bo Dallas
    Saus X W/L Record
    2/0/1

0/0/0

Currently Writing:
    WWE 2017
    31st Hunger Games

Sun Tuh-Zoo

Status
      Country                    UK

RED, this was a great read on a first skim through. Will read through again properly later. Massive props for putting this together, can’t wait for the next one.

Retired

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    9.9/10 first episode. -.1 point for no mention of Bo Dallas
    Well, he is mentioned in the review of Syk's PPV

Bo Dallas Mark

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Well, he is mentioned in the review of Syk's PPV
    I missed that. 10.1/10
    Saus X W/L Record
    2/0/1

0/0/0

Currently Writing:
    WWE 2017
    31st Hunger Games

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Thank you for picking my question for the Red report. I think if I had to book that match at WM 34 I would have just copied what they did at WM 31 and have it be an explosive match like that. I'd also just have Roman win and keep the kick out to one F5, maybe 2 at a push. From there carry on the Braun and Roman feud until Braun beats Roman at Summerslam. Braun really could have been so much more if booked better and protected more (he was such a fun throwback during that period)

RIP Brodie Lee. You will be missed

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Thanks for this, RED, was a fun read. Fun to hear from a stand up guy like BT as well.

Fire Walk with Me

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Really enjoyed this RED! I loved that the features mix the past and the present. The interview with BattleTank, as I said before, feels like an extra AOTB which is always a positive. I really enjoyed the features on Syk and also Charlemm’s ECW project - a nice blast from the past there! A really nice variety of things, your movies and games of the week are so unpredictable, I love it. I don’t know if it was just me but the SummerSlam link appeared to be broken though?

Hope to see more from this, can’t wait to see Jman’s interview.

Indy Talent

Status

This was a really fun read Red, and felt sort of like a BTB podcast lol. I enjoyed it, but unfortunately I am going to reject your challenge...

*stunner*

*signs contract*

fine I’ll do it. See you next Sunday! Looking forward to it (Thanks BT for the shout!)

Retired

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    This was a really fun read Red, and felt sort of like a BTB podcast lol. I enjoyed it, but unfortunately I am going to reject your challenge...

*stunner*

*signs contract*

fine I’ll do it. See you next Sunday! Looking forward to it (Thanks BT for the shout!)
    Nice man, I'll message you soon for the details

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information