Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baldy Watches 80's PPVs

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Baldy Watches 80's PPVs

Now i've decided to go back to the WWE Network i've decided i'm going back to some fun times of PPV's in the 1980's. I know there isn't a great deal of them, between WWE and WCW there are 30 in the time period. So let's see how long it takes to get through them. I know Jim will fill me in on some bits and will be happy to debate some points I raise, and i'm sure others will join suit.

First up is going to be WCW Starrcade 1983​.

Starrcade 1983
    Starrcade 1984
    Wrestlemania 1
    The Wrestling Classic
    Starrcade 1985
    Wrestliemania 2
    Last edited by Baldrick; 04-02-2021 at 03:40 AM.
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Re: Baldy Watches 80's PPVs

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Now i've decided to go back to the WWE Network i've decided i'm going back to some fun times of PPV's in the 1980's. I know there isn't a great deal of them, between WWE and WCW there are 30 in the time period. So let's see how long it takes to get through them. I know Jim will fill me in on some bits and will be happy to debate some points I raise, and i'm sure others will join suit.

First up is going to be WCW Starrcade 1983​.
    My first bits is that Starrcade 1983 was neither a PPV nor was it promoted by WCW, but rather by JCP/MACW.

This has been another edition of 'Jim gets anal about technicalities'.

People's Champion

Status

Sodding techincalities. I realised my mistake when I posted this up and clicked play damn you! I do love i'm only two matches in and we have a copyright announcement!

#ShadeWinsLOL

People's Champion

Status

The Assassins vs Rufus R Jones & Bugsy McGraw
    Couple of new names on me here in Rufus R Jones & Bugsy McGraw. I have little doubt i’ll be told of some good stuff these guys have done in the past or different alias’s they have had. Jones is the current Mid-Atlantic Champion, excellent bit of information. Anywho, very basic type of tag match, Assassins picking up the win following a roll up in a match dominated by the rather eccentric duo of Jones and McGraw.

Kevin Sullivan & Mark Lewin vs Scott McGhee & Johnny Weaver
    A better tag team effort than the first match. Lewin & Sullivan worked very well as a team and the face team of McGhee & Weave did very little. I was going to say something about the finish being a knee to the shoulder, but then again this is early 80’s stuff so I can’t expect too much in terms of “finishing moves”

Abdullah The Butcher vs Carlos Colon
    So this match is taking place on this card as it was deemed too dangerous to take place in Puerto Rico, that’s one way of promoting and selling a match huh? A weirdly fun short brawl. Do they not do DQ’s or something back in the day? Both Abdullah and Carlos were using whatever Dullah hid in his tight. Dullah obviously bleeds and Carlos gets screwed out of a win by err Hugo Savinovich hitting him with a tennis raquet or something...sounds like a Cornette type of deal to be honest!

Bob Orton Jr & Dick Slater vs Mark Youngblood & Wahoo McDaniel
    This was an enjoyable one, and after three tag matches in the first four on the card, i’m glad it was a good one. Slater & Orton are so enjoyable as a team in this one, and the faces played their roles well too. Youngblood worked most of the match which probably was a given at this stage for Wahoo.

Great Kabuki vs Charlie Brown for the NWA Television Championship
    So this is a Title vs Mask affair. I got told during the match that Kabuki believed Charlie Brown was Jimmy Valiant so that’s why we have this match but the title can only change hands if Brown wins inside 15 mins umm ok. Match itself was enjoyable enough for an early 80’s bout. Perhaps too much time on sleeper holds and the claw but was fun nonetheless. Brown won the title following an elbow drop. Go on Jim, fill me in, how long until Brown is unmasked?

Roddy Piper vs Greg Valentine in a Dog Collar Match
    Now most wrestling fans would have seen this match at some point so let’s see how it has held up over time. Yep enjoyable brawl, however my only annoyance here is the slow start and the abrupt finish. A couple of whips of the chain isn’t enough to put away someone like Valentine, but it was semi creative by hooking the legs with the chain.

The Brisco Brothers vs Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood for the NWA Tag Team Titles
    Was expecting something technically sound in this one and that is what I got. Best technical match of the event with only the main event to come again which is what I expected anyway. Best tag match of the err what 4 on the card, and the titles returned to the Steamboat/Youngblood pairing.

Harley Race vs Ric Flair in a Steel Cage for the NWA World Title
    Proper old school match this one, really enjoyed the slow build and story told however the special referee Gene Kiniski or something really got on my nerves. The amount of time he got involved in restraining both Race and Flair was ridiculous, at one point he dragged Race away from Flair via his hair :/

Enjoyable event to watch, probably too many tag team matches.

#ShadeWinsLOL

Abdullah The Butcher vs Carlos Colon
    So this match is taking place on this card as it was deemed too dangerous to take place in Puerto Rico, that’s one way of promoting and selling a match huh? A weirdly fun short brawl. Do they not do DQ’s or something back in the day? Both Abdullah and Carlos were using whatever Dullah hid in his tight. Dullah obviously bleeds and Carlos gets screwed out of a win by err Hugo Savinovich hitting him with a tennis raquet or something...sounds like a Cornette type of deal to be honest!
    It's a match BANNED in Puerto Rico, did you just expect them to put on a technical masterpiece?

Great Kabuki vs Charlie Brown for the NWA Television Championship
    So this is a Title vs Mask affair. I got told during the match that Kabuki believed Charlie Brown was Jimmy Valiant so that’s why we have this match but the title can only change hands if Brown wins inside 15 mins umm ok. Match itself was enjoyable enough for an early 80’s bout. Perhaps too much time on sleeper holds and the claw but was fun nonetheless. Brown won the title following an elbow drop. Go on Jim, fill me in, how long until Brown is unmasked?
    Back in the day, the TV Title would only be on the line in the first X minutes (Normally ten). It allowed for challengers to win matches (After ten minutes), without actually winning the title.

The booking of the TV Title was a bit weird as Valiant just retired the Charlie Brown character and vacated the TV Title in January.

Harley Race vs Ric Flair in a Steel Cage for the NWA World Title
    Proper old school match this one, really enjoyed the slow build and story told however the special referee Gene Kiniski or something really got on my nerves. The amount of time he got involved in restraining both Race and Flair was ridiculous, at one point he dragged Race away from Flair via his hair :/
    Hey now, that's former NWA World Champion, Gene Kiniski. You mind your manners.

But yeah, Kiniski as a referee sucked. It's one thing to run the overly strict referee act when it's part of an angle (Michael Hayes in the Flair/Von Erich cage), but it's dreadful to endure when it's just how the referee is behaving.

People's Champion

Status

Yes former World Champion. Out of interest, did Solie always call the suplex a suple? Sounds too much like a souffle when it's said.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

#ShadeWinsLOL

Yes former World Champion. Out of interest, did Solie always call the suplex a suple? Sounds too much like a souffle when it's said.
    Anyone who ever tries to imitate Solie will say "Suple"

People's Champion

Status

Well next up is Starrcade '84, anything to keep an eye out on this one before I get started Jim?

#ShadeWinsLOL

Well next up is Starrcade '84, anything to keep an eye out on this one before I get started Jim?
    That it's not a PPV?

Not really. This Starrcade features some talent from outside of JCP, namely from Championship Wrestling from Florida.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Well, I’m not Jim, but Blanchard/Steamboat is great (duh) and the end sequence of Barr/Graham is worth watching the whole match for.

I’d recommend Ole/Larson vs. Koloff’s, but I fucking hate Larson more than I hate the fact that it was supposed to be Don Kernodle in the match, so there’s no buys there from me.

I’m on the “not a fan” side of the main, but I’ll leave it to you to decide for yourself.

”Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by Tapatalk to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada."

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    That it's not a PPV?

Not really. This Starrcade features some talent from outside of JCP, namely from Championship Wrestling from Florida.
    Now now Jim, it's labelled as a PPV on the network so I plead that's the case

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Well, I’m not Jim, but Blanchard/Steamboat is great (duh) and the end sequence of Barr/Graham is worth watching the whole match for.

I’d recommend Ole/Larson vs. Koloff’s, but I fucking hate Larson more than I hate the fact that it was supposed to be Don Kernodle in the match, so there’s no buys there from me.

I’m on the “not a fan” side of the main, but I’ll leave it to you to decide for yourself.

”Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by Tapatalk to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada."
    Cheers for the input Fooj, i'll see how it all comes across and to be honest I wouldn't expect anything less than a decent outing in a match involving Blanchard & Steamboat.

#ShadeWinsLOL

Wrestling Goddest

Status
      Country                    United States

Back in the day, the TV Title would only be on the line in the first X minutes (Normally ten). It allowed for challengers to win matches (After ten minutes), without actually winning the title.

The booking of the TV Title was a bit weird as Valiant just retired the Charlie Brown character and vacated the TV Title in January.
    I watched this show a few months ago and at the start of this match I thought "The match is going to go beyond 15 minutes and Charlie Brown is going to win the match but not the title, so in a title vs mask match we don't get a title change or an unmasking." And by the mid-to-late 80's many JCP PPVs and supercards had TV title matches that went to the time limit, it was so annoying.
    From Cincinnati, comes the most stylish, elegant, bewitching, continuously charismatic, and fantastically fascinating woman to appear in this or any arena. Allow yourself to be seduced, enchanted, dazzled, and entranced by the all pink everything herself...BattleKat

People's Champion

Status

So Starrcade 84....

Mike Davies vs Denny Brown – Jnr Heavyweight Title
    Ooh I spot Earl Hebner as the referee wahey! Short and technical opener, assuming both guys were face as there was no heel tactics going on. Denny wins the title by raising his shoulder following a back suplex whilst Davies didn’t. Ring announcer got the winner totally wrong, and Hebner handed the title to Brown haha, so Jim/Fooj, was this one of those moments where it needed to be called that way?

Mr Ito vs Brian Adidis
    Another short but sweet technical match. Ended a bit too abruptly for my liking as it ended just as it started warming up...with an airplane spin of all things haha. I need to remember it’s 84 but come on!

Mike Graham vs Jesse Barr – Florida Heavyweight Championship
    This one was actually an enjoyable watch. Lots going on from the start with technical stuff from Graham and hidden sneaky heelish stuff from Barr, would be interested in seeing some other stuff from Graham if there’s any about haha!

Zambuie Express vs Buzz Tyler & Assassin #1
    So before I get into the match who in the blue hell are Zambuie Express? Errm left scratching my head at this one, something about Buzz & #1 wanting Paul Jones gone as the thing for this match, err turns out it’s an elimination tag...one double countout, one collision followed by a flop to end it, yeah 80’s wrestling for you.

Manny Fernandez vs Black Bart
    So this one is for the Brass Knuckles Championship. Really? Surely this title didn’t last long? Fun little brawl that see’s both men busted open and the roll up of doom ending things for Manny to win the title.

Paul Jones vs Jimmy Valiant
    Loser leaves the area match. Fun short street fight if you will. Chaos ensued with the ending as Valiant nailed the ref going for one of the Zambuie guys, this lead to JJ Dillon coming down and clonking Valiant on the head with what looked like a cowbell. See ya Jimmy.

Dick Slater vs Ron Bass
    Not quite sure what to make of this one to be honest. Slater spent far too much time chasing after JJ Dillon...what is all that about? I wasn’t informed of any reason for it so I am going to make the assumption that they had previous. Anywho match ended in a DQ win for Bass after Slater throws the ref out of his way.

Ole Anderson & Keith Larson vs The Koloffs
    Fooj said keep an eye out for this one so let’s see. Well that was a good one. I don’t remember seeing too many high profile tag matches where the heel team member get’s isolated straight from the off and spends a big portion of the match on the back foot so that was good to see, plus didn’t expect anything other than a dirty finish for the heels to win haha.

Ricky Steamboat vs Tully Blanchard – TV Title
    Really enjoyable that one, and to be honest i’d have been disappointed if it was anything but enjoyable. My only gripe is this weird period where they were walking around the ring either going to shake hands or start a strength battle but it didn’t happen :/ Tully hitting Steamboat with whatever it was to win made sense too.

Billy Graham vs Wahoo McDaniel – US Title
    Umm rather annoyed with how quickly this one finished...a chop to Graham as he rebounded off the ropes was all it was...that was after Graham had Wahoo in a Full Nelson twice...hmm less said the better there methinks.

Ric Flar vs Dusty Rhodes – World Title
    Well I was enjoying this match until the ending...seems a common theme with endings in the 80’s being a bit silly. Rhodes had it mainly his own way until he gets sent into the ringpost on the outside and get’s busted open...which pretty much directly lead to a lost Smokin’ Joe Frazier calling the match...strange. Flair retains the title and wins a million dollars to boot.

#ShadeWinsLOL

Main Eventer

Status

That Steamboat vs Blanchard match is a greatness. best match on the show
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

Wrestling Goddest

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm with you on that Rhodes vs Flair ending, especially considering Rhodes was on the offensive and had a hold on Flair when the match was stopped.
    From Cincinnati, comes the most stylish, elegant, bewitching, continuously charismatic, and fantastically fascinating woman to appear in this or any arena. Allow yourself to be seduced, enchanted, dazzled, and entranced by the all pink everything herself...BattleKat

As a singles wrestler, Dusty sucked. He kept finding ways to drag The Horsemen to average or bad matches. Since he was the booker, Dusty remained in a meaningful spot for years, booking one shitty Dusty finish after another. I know Dusty is praised hard over the last 15 years, but it's easy to see why he had a ton of detractors in the 80s.

People's Champion

Status

As a singles wrestler, Dusty sucked. He kept finding ways to drag The Horsemen to average or bad matches. Since he was the booker, Dusty remained in a meaningful spot for years, booking one shitty Dusty finish after another. I know Dusty is praised hard over the last 15 years, but it's easy to see why he had a ton of detractors in the 80s.
    Was he a booker for this show then? If so that would make perfect sense to see why he was so strong against the golden boy in Flair.

#ShadeWinsLOL

Was he a booker for this show then? If so that would make perfect sense to see why he was so strong against the golden boy in Flair.
    Yeah, he had recently made the jump from Eddie Graham's Championship Wrestling from Florida to JCP where he was given the head booking spot. Dusty would remain the head booker until Ted Turner bought JCP and turned it into WCW in late 1988 where Rhodes was promptly demoted and soon quit.

People's Champion

Status

Eurgh so the next Starrcade could be just as bad a watch haha.

Next up is Wrestlemania 1. Not watched this one in about 10 years so yeah could be interesting.

#ShadeWinsLOL

Eurgh so the next Starrcade could be just as bad a watch haha.

Next up is Wrestlemania 1. Not watched this one in about 10 years so yeah could be interesting.

Starrcade 85 is better. More Flair/Dusty sucks, but there's some good tag matches and a contender for best ever Starrcade match.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information