Thread: Indy/Puro/Lucha 2021 Match YES/NO Thread

WAKE UP

Status

Indy/Puro/Lucha 2021 Match YES/NO Thread

Going to do one thread covering all of this section as last year didn't get much activity + no crowds makes it slim pickings. Should things change halfway through the year we will adjust. Basically any particularly good matches you watch that you'd recommend not covered by any of the other sub-forums on the board go here.

Basically - if you feel a match this year is especially good, nominate it here, and then others vote YES or NO if they think it is especially good too or not. A match does not have to be a MOTYC to be nominated, but rather one you think is good enough to go out of your way for. To nominate a match you must give a reason or explanation. You don't need to go into detail to vote YES or NO, but are encouraged to do so.

This opening post will keep track of all matches nominated and their votes. Matches with a +3 value will be bolded to highlight them.
    NOMINATIONS

BxB Hulk/KAI vs Jason Lee/Kota Minoura, DG 12/1 - 0 YES, 2 NO

Kiyomiya/Inamura vs Marufuji/Akiyama, NOAH 12/2

Josh Barnett vs Jon Moxley, GCW Bloodsport 6 - 1 YES, 0 NO
    Last edited by King Steventon; 04-14-2021 at 01:34 PM.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Indy/Puro/Lucha 2021 Match YES/NO Thread

Nominating - (BxB Hulk & KAI) vs. MASQUERADE (Jason Lee & Kota Minoura) - Dragon Gate 12/01/2021
    Even under a new unit, Jason Lee and Kota Minoura still are able to deliver upto similar standards of the year prior. Hulk and KAI delivered as well. Well their style isn't the most aesthetically pleasing compared to the rest of the roster, it can really help make the other team shine more and make a better match in the bigger picture. KAI and BxB Hulk cut off the ring, initially keeping Minoura away from Lee before taking Jason Lee out of the match for a good while with a sick powerbomb on the apron. Jason Lee sold this really well for the whole match, having trouble moving in a certain way, being unable to come up with any game changing offence during the hot tag section of the match, being cut off almost immediately. Minoura sold well down the stretch as well, trying to get his side back in the match only for KAI to snuff it out.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Nominating - (BxB Hulk & KAI) vs. MASQUERADE (Jason Lee & Kota Minoura) - Dragon Gate 12/01/2021
    Even under a new unit, Jason Lee and Kota Minoura still are able to deliver upto similar standards of the year prior. Hulk and KAI delivered as well. Well their style isn't the most aesthetically pleasing compared to the rest of the roster, it can really help make the other team shine more and make a better match in the bigger picture. KAI and BxB Hulk cut off the ring, initially keeping Minoura away from Lee before taking Jason Lee out of the match for a good while with a sick powerbomb on the apron. Jason Lee sold this really well for the whole match, having trouble moving in a certain way, being unable to come up with any game changing offence during the hot tag section of the match, being cut off almost immediately. Minoura sold well down the stretch as well, trying to get his side back in the match only for KAI to snuff it out.
    This gets a no from me. It's an ok tag, but I didn't find the RED guys to be all that engaging in their heat sequences.

Were either of the Suwama title matches from this month any good?
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I'd give them a skip, Ed. Suwama moves at a glacier speed and any drama that they could've squeezed from the matches was ruined by Wada's slow counting.

WAKE UP

Status

NO to that Dragon Gate tag from Steve

WAKE UP

Status

Nominate

Kiyomiya/Inamura vs Marufuji/Akiyama, NOAH 12/2

51 year old Akiyama carries 3 geeks to a good match. This is pretty borderline for what I'd nominate but I doubt there's going to be anything better from NOAH this year. Akiayama vs Inamura sections were solid heavyweight action and Akiyama made him look good. Enjoyed him shrugging off Kiyomiya's embarrassing attempts at grappling and showing the new pet project no respect. The arm work was all pretty decent and gave this some bite to it. I appreciated Kiyomiya's selling and fire for his comebacks here, but a lot of his offence really did look fluffy against even Marufuji let alone a proper heavyweight like Akiyama. Satisfying finish and outcome. Not exactly a barn-burner but this was well put together and had a decent story to it.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 02-16-2021 at 06:55 AM.

WAKE UP

Status

Josh Barnett vs Jon Moxley, Bloodsport 6

I watched the Moxley vs DBS match from a previous show and thought the idea of Moxley having to get wild and unpredictable to match a technically superior opponent was a cool idea, and this was that but executed much tighter and with more drama. I thought the mat work was pretty snug and I liked how Moxley was always throwing shots and trying to get violent as a believably way for him to hang with someone of Barnett's ability. Moxley's jumping stomp and dive to the floor were suitably unpredictable. Bloody Barnett trying to survive and managing to the turn the tables was pretty cool, and Moxley bled a gusher in return when he started getting sliced with those elbows. 'Shoot style bloodbath' isn't a genre of pro wrestling I think I've seen before, but here we are.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Barnett/Moxley - YES
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists