Thread: NJPW 2021 Match YES/NO Thread

WAKE UP

Status

NJPW 2021 Match YES/NO Thread

Have at it. I haven't watched anything from the Dome shows.

Basically - if you feel a match this year is especially good, nominate it here, and then others vote YES or NO if they think it is especially good too or not. A match does not have to be a MOTYC to be nominated, but rather one you think is good enough to go out of your way for. To nominate a match you must give a reason or explanation. You don't need to go into detail to vote YES or NO, but are encouraged to do so.

This opening post will keep track of all matches nominated and their votes. Matches with a +3 value will be bolded to highlight them.

NOMINATIONS

Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay, 4/1 - 1 YES, 3 NO
    Shingo Takagi vs Jeff Cobb, 5/1 - 3 YES, 1 NO
    Kota Ibushi vs Jay White, 5/1 - 2 YES, 2 NO
    Last edited by King Steventon; 01-23-2021 at 09:59 AM.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NJPW 2021 Match YES/NO Thread

Shingo Takagi Vs Jeff Cobb Jan 5th - Cobb's best showing in NJPW, and for that matter maybe even his career. You can't go wrong with Shingo singles matches, but I guess they have a repetitive edge to them, especially the NEVER title matches so fresh opponents are always welcome. Once we get past the elbow exchange opening, a staple of all NEVER matches, the match starts to have it's charm. 4 stars flat.

That concludes my recommendations from the 2 day event of Gedo's great match factory
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Nominations:

Jay White vs Kota Ibushi - 05/01
    A longer version of a Jay White v Ibushi main event which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on the person. I found it to be a great match with two distinct performances from both Jay and Ibushi.

Will Ospreay vs Kazuchika Okada - 04/01
    While it's lacking the intensity that the feud was build on, it's an excellent match with that had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish.

Yes for Jeff Cobb vs Shingo Takagi - 05/01

Underdog

Status

Shingo/Cobb - YES. First great match of the year. Two big men throwing bombs to put the other man away for 20 minutes. I prefer this style of Shingo match to more drawn out affairs. Must be Cobb’s best NJPW outing.

Ibushi/White - YES. I can’t believe I liked this as much as I did. A 48 minute Jay White match (or almost any match) would be a complete turn off. Something about this just worked for me and had me hooked after the first 5-10 minutes. I can completely understand anyone in the NO camp as that’s where I expected to be going into this.

Okada/Ospreay - NO. Once the bell rang and a rage-fuelled, angry at his opponent turning on him Okada stood there expressionless and proceeded to work the Okada formula match, this was up against it. Had they gone home around the 20-25 minute mark, I might’ve been more favourable towards it as there was some good stuff in there, but it carried on too long and lost me by the end.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Nos to Ibushi/White and Ospreay/Okada.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Yes to all three.

Shingo/Cobb was fun. What you'd come to expect from Shingo really. Didn't bring anything new but it went past expectations for sure. Cobb's best match for sure in NJPW.

Okada/Ospreay little too long but don't have any major issue with it. I thought Okada was intense and the emotion/story of the match was very good. No real complaint from me on that.

Ibushi/White was fucking great. Again, a little long but fucking enjoyed it anyway. The story was perfect.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

Okada vs Ospreay - NO. Overly long snooze-fest devoid of any beef. Cool table spot can't make up for the 20 minute slog that proceeded it. They should have taken it home after that. Then they should have taken it home after the tediously long submission finish tease that got no heat. But even after both of those they went another 10 minutes. 1 star.

Shingo vs Cobb - NO. I am down for matches full of clubbering and suplexes, but this was nearly 20 minutes of your-turn-my-turn spot trading, which gets tiring pretty quickly for me. Both guys have some cool stuff in their arsenal and I did enjoy some of the bombs, but this lacked structure for a match this length. Also thought Cobb surviving the first finisher was unnecessary considering they went another 5 minutes afterwards.

Ibushi vs White - NO. Painfully long for the sake of some pointless statistic. I will be honest and say I skipped through some of the first half sections but don't feel I missed anything important here. White's trash talk is WWE-level bad. Too many cheap heel transitions - tedious Gedo interference, low blows, etc which is a given. This is a moot point I'll admit but even in the big picture story this match doesn't make sense - Ibushi just wrestled a gruelling 30 minute match the night before, why is White stalling and taking his time in this match? So much of this match was blatant filler and padding just so they can hit that golden 45 minute mark. 2 stars because the final 5-10 minutes were decent.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Yes I didn’t think you’d like them
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads