Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AEW 2021 Match YES/NO Thread

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

Re: AEW 2021 Match YES/NO Thread

Miro/Kingston - YES. Super fun opener. I was really into the ending and good to see Kingston protected. Sweet match.

Punk/Darby - NO. Bang average. Darby did his best but Punk isn't there yet. I respect that he's back after 7 year absence but this shouldn't be his standard. If anyone else work this match no one wouldve been talking about it imo. And there's gotta be more to a match than your name. 3* match at most.

Lucha Bros/Young Bucks - Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned. Easily MOTN for me and nothing really came close. Super fun spot heavy match. Happy to see Lucha Bros get their tag title reign. I'll admit there was a bit of humor in Penta sacrificing himself for Fenix earlier than letting one of the Bucks Package Piledrive Fenix so he could Package Piledrive the other Buck. The only match I'd be likely to go back and watch.

Not going to comment on Omega/Cage. Honestly, I kinda glazed over most of that match though it had decent spots. I dont really think it deserves to be on here but it was better than Punk/Darby imo.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Canada

YES to all 3. Miro/Kingston had both men just wanting to kick eachother's ass, as it should have been considering their styles. I was personally kind of concerned because the match could've went either really well or really poorly, I'm glad it was the former.

Punk/Darby YES, nice slow-paced, methodical match. It's not anything you MUST go out of your way to see, but it's definitely a worthwhile and memorable match since it's Punk's return.

Omega/Cage YES! Most under-appreciated match of the night due to general crowd burnout but it was definitely good and different from their original encounter, which I also thought was very good. Christian is the frikken man.

Also it's criminal to not include Bucks vs Lucha Bros from ALL OUT in this nomination SO I will nominate that match here as well:
    Big time entrances to get the crowd riled up. Crowd were eating out of Lucha Bros hands and you could hear Ciero Miedo chants overtake the Bucks theme song. Then the match itself, it was just a messy clash, but a good type of messy. People can whine about the psychology of the match being non-existent but who cares, it was a cage match, it was chaotic, and we saw some character work and Bucks getting even further sympathy for the Lucha Brothers. The emotional win + the celebration with Penta and his family after. It was just good shit.

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Yes to Bucks/Lucha Bros as well of course.

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

I'll add to Omega/Christian, Luchas/Bucks and Miro/Eddie.

Punk/Allin was good but not next level stuff. To be expected under the circumstances, but I think they've got more in them. Give Punk time to shake the ring rust, and maybe even turn heel, and I think there's a much better match in the making.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    I'll add to Omega/Christian, Luchas/Bucks and Miro/Eddie.

Punk/Allin was good but not next level stuff. To be expected under the circumstances, but I think they've got more in them. Give Punk time to shake the ring rust, and maybe even turn heel, and I think there's a much better match in the making.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    I really hope so!

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Miro/Kingston - YES. Thoroughly enjoyable opener.

Darby/Punk - NO. Really solid performance from Punk, though I felt Darby done the lions share of the work in a nice comeback match. It was just that, however. Nice and solid. 3 star range for me. I've never thought Punk to be a fantastic worker from my exposure (just WWE) but if he performs like this and continues to deliver on mic; I'll keep tuning in.

Cage/Omega - YES. Still don't love Omega in ring but I really enjoyed this match. Didn't think too long on this, I enjoyed it immensely.

Lucha/TYB - YES. Reminded me why I still check out wrestling sometimes. Nothing better than a good story + fast-paced tag action. Thought Penta and Fenix particularly killed it.

3X World Tag Team Champion (w/Christian Quinn, w/Randy Ramon & w/Ryan Rondo)
    1X Gauntlet Champion

JOIN THE FWA!

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Nominate Omega Vs Danielson from AEW Grand Slam 22/9/21

Bryan in his promos asked for the 'best bout machine', not the shithead that hangs out with Don Callis, and that's exactly what we got as Omega produces the most reigned in performance of his title run with his worst mannerisms kept to a minimum and these two delivered on their dream match build. The match was well laid out with a great story, the strikes were strong and clean, the crazy bumps were there, Omega's offence looked killer, there were hints of classic ROH Danielson with the Cattle Mutilation, they never once went for the cheap out with Elite interference - there was nothing not to love here. We all knew the draw was coming, but it doesn't come off as disappointing because it's the right booking call and the match was a breeze to watch at 30 minutes. I really enjoyed how the match didn't fall into the trope of having someone 2 seconds away from victory when the time limit comes - Bryan and Omega were locked in a brawl of punches as the match ended with no clear indication of who would have won with more time on the clock. I love that, and I'm more interested in a rematch because of it.

The end result is the best television match of 2021, and arguably the best wrestling match in AEW history - that's what Bryan Danielson gives you and what AEW have been missing, someone that doesn't need bells and whistles and weapon pops to have a main event level match. I think my favourite thing about the match was that for what felt like the first time in 10 years, Bryan wasn't presented as an underdog. He was presented as someone who is best in the world level who could go toe to toe with AEW's almost year long world champion. That was so refreshing to see and got me pumped up even more for this next chapter of his career.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

World Champion

Status

I will say a definite YES to Danielson/Omega even if I think best wrestling match in AEW history seems a little strong at the moment.

All About That Ace

Status

YES to Danielson/Omega. Superb match and the most satisfying debut that I've witnessed from AEW. Felt real worried for Danielson throughout cuz of all them bumps. Can't wait to see more Danielson.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I will say a definite YES to Danielson/Omega even if I think best wrestling match in AEW history seems a little strong at the moment.
    It's worth remembering I'm a low man on the beloved AEW matches like Cody Vs Dustin or Britt Vs Rosa that needed blood or weapon pops to reach that next level. I loved PAC Vs Omega, but I think last night was better.

I'd say the only thing that could touch it was Hangman and Omega Vs Young Bucks. Maybe I'll have to change it to 'best AEW singles match' to be sure
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    It's worth remembering I'm a low man on the beloved AEW matches like Cody Vs Dustin or Britt Vs Rosa that needed blood or weapon pops to reach that next level. I loved PAC Vs Omega, but I think last night was better.

I'd say the only thing that could touch it was Hangman and Omega Vs Young Bucks. Maybe I'll have to change it to 'best AEW singles match' to be sure
    At the end of the day I'm not gonna protest that stance too much because I did love the match as well. If it's the best in your book then so be it.

WAKE UP

Status

YES to Omega vs Danielson. Definitely in the discussion for Best AEW matches, it's in my Top 3 favourite Omega matches that's for sure.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Canada

YES to Omega vs Danielson as well. I love how Ed detailed that Bryan wasn't presented as an underdog for once, it's something that I didn't think about much till now and it's great!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information