Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 21

Status

Re: Football Manager 21

still not locked into a new save. Been messing about with Argentinos Juinors but another save in Argentina right after 4 years with Rosario Central feels meh. MLS has suddenly become appealing. I know the rules are all fucked up and the AI gets tripped up on them but its still tempting.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

GMT Baby

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    still not locked into a new save. Been messing about with Argentinos Juinors but another save in Argentina right after 4 years with Rosario Central feels meh. MLS has suddenly become appealing. I know the rules are all fucked up and the AI gets tripped up on them but its still tempting.
    How about Mexico?

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

Haha yeah, I started a Philly Union save and then before I could get into it, my Dortmund save got interesting since I was forced to sell Haaland (for fucking CHEAP which I'm super pissed about) and Sancho in the same summer. I think Haaland was only €75m potentially reaching €95m with incentives even though he was valued at just under €100m. Damn 12 months left on the contract absolutely fucked me there. Sancho at least was big money. I think I'll end up getting a definite €165m for him. The was also heavy interest in Gio Reyna (didn't want to leave), Isak (I was only letting him leave if I cheated to bring back Moukoko for free), and Eric Garcia (bid didn't materialize, yet). I also moved on Meunier to Italy for around €20m and Nico Schulz for over €20m because they both were on expiring contracts. Meunier is over 30 and wants silly money, while Schulz wanted well over €100k p/w to be a back up. I also sold Can for the same reasons, replacing a big contract player and getting €60m and bringing in Krystian Bielek for under €15m I think (I'm doing all this to kill trying while waiting for my chiropractor so it's off the cuff)

Having expected the bids for Haaland and Sancho to have come a season plus earlier, I was already prepared for the squad honestly. Isak and Edouard (coming off a broken leg though) are already my STs, and both Yusuf Demir (signed for I think €35m a year and a half ago, but spent the half season on loan so he has one full season under his belt with us already) and Reyner (I think I signed him for only like €10m last season) are ready to step into the RW spot. I replaced the full backs with Gideon Mensah from Hoffenheim to sign a player from a rival club, and Neco Williams from Liverpool because he fit the under 23 signing policy. And both were cheaper than the players I sold. Other key signing was Kimpebebe because he was transfer listed. I also was expecting to sell one of Garcia/Akanji/Zagadou/Hummels and then Akanji did in his ACL and Hummels keeps getting hurt too. Oh, and Harvey Barnes was available for only €12m so steal.

Pretty sure my depth chart is like this too.

GK: Onana/Burki
    RB: Williams/Klunter
    CB: Garcia/Akanji
    CB: Kimpebebe/Zagadou
    LB: Angelino/Mensah
    CM: Camavinga/Bielek
    CM: Bellingham/Sandry
    RW: Demir/Reyner
    10: Reyna
    LW: Depay/Barnes
    ST: Isak/Edouard

Love the flexibility of having Demir as a 10 when needed, Isak dropping in there as a SS for Edouard to play the 9, Edouard as either side winger, and both Barnes and Depay can play anywhere. Plus I have some great youth team guys I'm trying to give some playtime too, and that's not counting a host of younger players on loan too for when the next crop of guys get sold.

Losing Haaland and Sancho I was definitely ready to see us drop off a bit, and losing the German Community Shield to champions Gladbach 3-1 definitely verified that. And then the season started and I broke my record winning streak 10 straight Bundesliga wins to start the season, 3 straight in UCL (@Red Star, @Inter, vs Benfica), and first 2 rounds of the Cup. Best wins were at Inter and home to Bayern, who seemingly can't get a result against me, ever.

The shocking things so far early in the season are how much Isak has stepped up to replace Haaland (averaging over a goal a game like Haaland did), and how this run is happening despite a ton of injuries. Akanji did in the cruciate in pre season, Kimpebebe and Garcia have both missed time while Hummels hasn't been fit like ever. Camavinga, Bellingham, Depay, and Reyna have all missed 2-3 weeks at various points, with several of the injuries happening at the same time. But after 10 games, it's 10 wins, and I'm already ahead of Bayern and Gladbach by like 7&8 points respectively, I believe.

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    How about Mexico?
    Mexico is one of my go-to locations. Or was, I guess. I took a liking to Pumas, but then fell for this shitty little university club called Lobos BUAP. They got promoted when they shouldn't have so they were nowhere near good enough for Liga MX, but Mexico has some weird dynamics and loans are one of them. Way more loans between top clubs than pretty much anywhere else. Rebuilding the squad was fun. I did that save every FM version, sometimes more than once, for about 3 or 4 versions. Then Lobos ceased to exist.

Clubs disappearing is another less cool dynamic in Mexico. Not so much in FM but in the real game. It happens with surprising frequency and not just to lower division. Sometimes they simply cease to exist. But more often, they are bought - or their licenses are. Another team will take over their spot in the pyramid. The club can then often reform lower down. That's what happened with Lobos - they still exist in FM but way way down the pyramid.

If you ever watch the Netflix series Club of Crows, which is a Mexican drama about a fictional Liga MX club, the dramatics around clubs being bought and relocated and all of that is all too accurate.

I had one decent save in mexico since the fall of Lobos. Another small club, started in the 2nd division, got promoted. Just never really grabbed me fully.

I keep poking around thru clubs in Mexico but nothing really appeals to me. MAYBE Tijuana but other options like the Atletico affiliate, Pumas, America, the new club in Mazatlán, FC Juarez.... Maybe I'll take another swing thru.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Слава Україні!

Status
      Country                    Ukraine

working through the classic Nottingham Forest save for me, got promoted at the first time of asking, which didn't look possible until the second half of the season, now in the prem, after a bit of a spending spree, we're in the top half of the table 8 games in, but i swear we are the most unconvincing team i've ever put together.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status

Hit me up with that squad, Supes!

Loading up to play for a bit now, and yeah, I brought in €350m up to €375m this summer, and only spent €102m. Mensah was €13.75m after getting €21m from Schulz, €10m for Bielik after €65m for Can, €10.25m for Neco after €20m for Meunier, and €12.5m for Barnes after €150m up to 165 for Sancho. Plus €56m for Kimpembe. Profiting €250m this summer meant I'm now in the good for transfers during my time with Dortmund, having made a net profit of €246m. Dortmund Model~!

Status

so despite knowing the rules are a fuck-mess, I've started up an MLS save with the Portland Timbers. Spent some time getting a handle on the rules like the general allocation money and all of that. No idea if I'll go too far with it and how much i will enjoy the unique restrictions, but it looks like building a strong squad is a real challenge with the salary cap limitations.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Think I have a reasonable handle on the rules in the league, so now I'm just mulling whether I should stick with this Portland save, start over with the same club (mainly because I fucked up the expansion draft) or start with another club like Philadelphia Union. I've poked thru all the clubs and its Portland and Philly that appeal the most. I kinda like the west coast and Portland is a fun city, based on two short visits. But they have 2 of their 3 DPs out long-term.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status

I finally got my Union save up and running, and started out with hardly any managerial experience so the players... All hate me and want me out Jokes on them, I still did the unthinkable and won CCL right at the start! A big win in Mexico against Leon in the SF and then after drawing 2-2 against Monterrey in Mexico, won 2-0 home in the second leg to make MLS history. Players still don't support my ass though.

I'm still early in the MLS portion of the season, like 12 games in. I had a miserable start to the campaign because of CCL, only 4 points out of my first 7/8 games or something but now that I only have the league to focus on, starting to get wins and into the playoff spots. MLS is screwy though so I'm just waiting for half the league to fire its head coaches and almost all the Americans to be available in the off-season.

Status

Been all of the place on FM lately and nowhere for long. Started up a couple saves with MLS clubs but didn't get very far. Started up again in Argentina with Central Cordoba. Nope. Figured maybe I'd do a short save with Newcastle, and it turned out to e very fucking short. Listening to a podcast on Russian football inspired me to give Lokomotiv Moscow a try, but I just don't wanna deal with the squad limitations in Russia.

So I'm giving Blackburn another shot. Not moving too fast on the save so far but at least I've gotten some stuff done.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Meant to post a bit more yesterday. No idea if this save will last long enough for this post to be worthwhile, as I've been save bouncing constantly for the past two months or so.

Part of the appeal is that Blackburn have a squad that is well suited to run the 4-2-3-1 system that I've been using on FM21. A pacey striker in Adam Armstrong, some versatile attackers, a pass-minded DM, and a solid Seguno Volante DM. One talented player I've never managed to do much with in previous Blackburn saves is Bradley Dack - a talented attacker who doesn't really fit into any role I generally use. But he should do well in this as the AMC. Unfortunately, he's injured for awhile but at least I should get some performances out of him.

The other reason is that having money to spend to reshape the squad is appealing. The post-Brexit Work Permit situation will get frustrating, I'm sure, but if I get a big chunk of money to spend when we get promoted, that will compensate reasonably, I hope.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status

Playing MLS with my Philadelphia Union and FM absolutely fucked me for the MLS Cup Finals. They inexplicably moved the Finals weeks after the Semifinals, so I had to do all the hokey Drafts, including the Expansion Draft where you can protect 12 players on your team from being drafted by the new MLS team. Well I get to MLS Cup Final day after the drafts and Club World Cup and.... My registration now only lets me use 12 players still. It's locked into the registration I did for the stupid Expansion Draft, and I now enter the match with only the 12 players I protected, one of whom is injured. So all my subs are greyed out shit regens, and I have to play multiple players out of position.

Fuck FM. I will now absolutely cheat and play the game no matter how many times it takes to win. Ridiculous this game continues to fuck over attempts to play MLS.

Status

I know they focused on MLS in recent years in terms of making it more playable but it still seems pretty fucked. I guess they just don't care enough about getting it to run cleanly, since so much about the league is so counter to how everywhere else in world football works? Annoying as fuck.

The save bounce continues. Wasn't feeling Blacbkurn (never got very far) and took a look at Russia. The Euros made me want to do England again so I looked at lower level Prem clubs like Newcastle and ended up starting with Brentford again. Made it partway into pre-season and the English dynamics just... nah, couldn't do it.

So I'm back to South America, starting again with Argentinos Juniors. They have as much young talent as almost any other club in the world, although most aren't exactly world-beaters. In a good sign, i went from starting up the save to moving on from the first day quite quickly. My start-of-save process is lengthy - getting rid of staff, setting up shortlists, etc - and when it takes me forever to get through, it usually means I'm really not that eager to get the save moving. I'm already moving forward so we will see. One of the young players I was hoping to build around - an Argentine/Serbian/American attacker - has a year left on his contract and is pre-set to refuse to resign so I transfer listed him immediately and offered him out for 3m, immediately getting a bid from Ajax. Which means I probably could have gotten more but that's good money for the club. We start with 1.5m and pretty much no transfer budget.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Слава Україні!

Status
      Country                    Ukraine

I know they focused on MLS in recent years in terms of making it more playable but it still seems pretty fucked. I guess they just don't care enough about getting it to run cleanly, since so much about the league is so counter to how everywhere else in world football works? Annoying as fuck.
    MLS is the problem, not FM, just to be fair, if they didn't have 55,000 roster rules to try and program into a game, that mystically change at mid-season, and then revert at a new season, some of the stuff wouldn't be so bad. Alas, the MLS, like other American sports leagues, requires a convoluted roster structure with a salary cap that requires a finance and law degree to fully comprehend.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Crimea View Post
    MLS is the problem, not FM, just to be fair, if they didn't have 55,000 roster rules to try and program into a game, that mystically change at mid-season, and then revert at a new season, some of the stuff wouldn't be so bad. Alas, the MLS, like other American sports leagues, requires a convoluted roster structure with a salary cap that requires a finance and law degree to fully comprehend.
    Fair, that's probably a more accurate way to look at it. The vibe I get from the MLS rules is like Wall Street making every financial mechanism as complicated as possible and give it obscure names that don't describe it at all. Complicated for the sake of being complicated, to justify "expertise".

So I managed to get thru a few friendlies last night. Not much but at least the save is already moving forward. I think I was on day one on the Brentford save for about three weeks. It helps that in saves in South America, my shortlist of talent ends up being about 400 names long. On a save in England, its more like 2K. Every possibly promising young English player, same for most of Europe, loads of "reasonably solid" players from leagues around Europe that could be bargain additions to add quality depth in the Prem... plus good character veterans for mentoring.

The young American/Argentine player who won't extend his contract is Matko Miljevic. I was happy that he accepted the contract offer from Ajax - wasn't sure he would as his agent said he didn't want to leave yet because he had "just joined".... while also refusing to sign an extension because he's pre-set to want to leave. 3m is a nice chunk for this club at this point. No intent to spend just yet - I'll probably try to start stealing newgens when they appear lol
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status

Money in the Bank Re: Football Manager 21

After 2 seasons in MLS, I won everything there was to win. Supporters Shield and MLS Cup twice, the CONCACAF Champions League in year one (lost in the finals year two), the Campeones Cup (MLS Champ vs La Liga Champ), and the US Open Cup. So I figured, I'm out. Ironically enough the game decided to let my American connections land me at Fulham, with Tony Khan as my new boss. Just wait until he hears my ideas... and my Fulham ideas too!

Fulham were like 6 points off the playoff place in the Championship, and a good 15 points off 2nd place, when I took over, and I only got two matches done so far because of the 2022 World Cup break. Of course, USA flamed out big time in the World Cup losing all 3 matches I think by a combined score of 2-8, so GGG got fired, and I landed the USA gig. Guess I'm going to balance both jobs now because since I started the game as an American with no professional experience (aka me), pretty much HAVE to apply for the USA job. But only managing international is boring.

This Fulham team has been pretty much shredded in 1.5 seasons. They finished 10th I think in 20/21, but then obviously relegated in 21/22. I think the only players in the first team squad that were on the starting Fulham side are Mitrovic, Tom Cairney, Le Marchand, and Ryan Sessegnon. Cairney and Le Marchand are both already on their way out in January since I have no need for then. Otherwise, it's a whole new squad because of all the transfer activity.

My goal is to keep using the narrow 442 Diamond that I used at the Union for consistency sake, and Fulham have a glutton of players in the CM and ST positions, especially CMs who can play at Mezzalas like I need for the formation to work. It's definitely a squad that can get me promoted this season, but a squad that will need significant upgrades in the Premier League.

The CB pairing of Issa Diop and Kenneth Omeruo is about to get a challenge from Miles Robinson from Atlanta United, while my starting RWB is going to sleep be challenged by Julian Arajuro from the LA Galaxy (on a free) as I embrace the of Fulhamerica roots. The diamond midfield is going to mainly be anchored by Isaac Hayden with Sean Longstaff and Matt Grimes ahead of them. I don't really have a true #10 so I'm still trying to work that spot out, while Keane Lewis-Potter (Fulham signed him this summer from Hull for over £12 million) will mainly play as a 9 next to Mitrovic, and sometimes in the 10. Fulham have a 20 year old Brazilian striker prospect Caue Santos and then a teenage striker who I think is a Regen with potential.

I really haven't managed in England much during FM21; it's mainly been in Germany. I did 2 years in MLS, and a season and a half in another save at Barca that branched off of my Dortmund save. I don't mind England though. The work permit stuff isn't a big deal to me. If I sign a prospect, he either joins eventually, or I just have to scout different prospects. Not a big deal to me really.

Status

Sounds like you need to do a crossover project that combines your football management career and a BTB booking AEW, Zoom.

I finally got a save rolling. Back in Argentina with Argentinos Jrs. They have as much young talent all but a few clubs in the game, and its pretty spread out around the pitch. The starting squad isn't bad either. AAAJ are a "mid-size" club in Argentina and have a youth focus - the academy is known as the "seed garden" but have a reasonable squad to start. They also start out in the later stages of the Copa Sudamericana.

Managed to win the Copa Sudamericana. Its the equivalent of the Europa League so nothing too huge. I got past clubs from Ecuador and Colombia so I wasn't exactly taking down major clubs, either.

The youth setup isn't that strong, despite the "seed garden" reputation. I have enough quality youngsters that its not concerning but currently have 19 players wanted by some combo of Sporting CP, Benfica, and Porto. I'd prefer not to sell any of them just yet but getting 3m for someone like Miljevic makes me hope I can get decent value for them. The first youth intake was hot stinky shit and won't result in anything but I did steal a couple youngsters from other clubs.... Sorry Belgrano.

Winning the Copa Sudamericana means we playin the Copa Libertadores next season, which is big for the club. Its a primary money-maker in South America, beyond selling players. There is literally no prize money for the league or cup, so you ain't getting rich that way.

Still playing the 4-2-3-1 split-block. Now featuring short passing! Its a flat back 4, 2 DMs, AMR, AML, AMC and a striker. the front four press. The back six don't. Hence the name. I have the wide attackers marking the opponents fullbacks and the AMC harassing the DM. The two DMs a DLP (I have Fausto Vera and Baby Redondo) and a SV. Its fun. If I go fairly attacking, I end up with 5-3 scorelines lol
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑷𝑹𝑰𝑵𝑿𝑬

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Started a save on my laptop with Roma. For some reason, I like the Italian league on FM and it's normally the starting point for me on these games. Last year I went with AC Milan, and this year I've gone with Roma. First season is done and dusted. Summary is below for anyone interested.

Roma Season One Summary.jpg

Season One How We Lined Up.jpg

Season One Legue Results.jpg

Season One Player Awards.jpg

Season One UEL Results.jpg

Onto the next season now, and despite overachieving, and the club being "rich" I got a budget of 15 million Sad times! So I've already decided that I'll use the players that were out on loan and back this season like Florenzi, Kluivert & Under to bolster the squad and I'll go with what I have already.

Hoping for top 4 and maybe another Italian cup, if I'm lucky.

Status

Nice season. Have a soft spot for Italy as well, but I find the non-EU rules to be a turnoff nowadays. Still some great saves there.

I ended up starting over. The AAAJ save was going okay but I edited the finances to get a newgen signing over the line and it kinda soured things. I also realized that stealing those newgens (the ones I could afford legitimately) wasn't really necessary. So just felt better to start over. I did give some consideration to starting with Central Cordoba, who are a smaller club from Cordoba. They are one of the smallest and weakest clubs in the Argentina top division and really don't have anything appealing - no good young prospects, squad is weak, finances are, stadium is forgettable, and even the logo isn't awesome. So I have absolutely on reason to find them appealing, but I kinda do. But I also recognize that the save would be all about scrimping and scraping with the money and that reduces the appeal a bit. Building up a club is always going to have some complications, but without any prize money in Argentina, a healthy mid-table finish (which would be way about expectations) doesn't really help the club that much in a direct financial sense.

So just going to do Argentinos Juniors over again.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status

Went down to the final day with Fulham, but up we go! I pushed up the table quick with Fulham, but was in the automatic push with Sheffield United (winners) and Forest. I was sweating it because I had to use my 3rd string keeper (U23 keeper) for 5 of my last 6 matches after first my back up keeper and then my starter went down in the same week. My back up was able to return for the final match, a 2-0 home win against Frank Lampard's Stoke, to seal automatic promotion.

In the final stretch of 9 games, we hit a rough patch. 2 draws, then a loss at Sheffield United. 2 home wins followed, but a late 3-2 loss at West Ham meant we were 5 points back of Forest for 2nd. They proceeded to lose 2-1 home to Stoke and 4-2 at Reading, while we won 4-2 at Hull and 1-0 at Swansea to give us a 1 point edge. Mitrovic scored both goals to seal it.

Timmy Weah was my star man in the run in though. I had him on loan for the 2022 Union season, and brought him in January 2023 for Fulham. He didn't score in the last league match, but in the 6 matches before that? A goal in every match, 12 altogether, in 2 hat tricks. He finished with 14 in 10(5) for me. My other American signings - Miles Robinson, George Bello, and Julian Arajuro - all did well, with Robinson a huge standout in the back.

I don't want to spend a lot of money going up, but this is definitely a squad that needs upgrades. I also have a squad that needs trimming because the Championship is a league that needed talent ready.

GK: Jacob Rinne, Luca Ashby-Hammond
    RB: Julian Arajuro, Darnell Furlong, Dimitri Foulquier
    RCB: Issa Diop, Cedric Kipre
    LCB: Miles Robinson, Kenneth Omeruo
    LB: George Bello, Steven Sessegnon
    DM: Isaac Hayden
    RCM: Sean Longstaff, Warren Bondo
    LCM: Ashley Grimes, James Igbekeme
    #10: Keane Lewis-Potter, Sheyi Ojo
    AF: Tim Weah, Caue Santos
    TM: Mitrovic

This is dependent upon Weah being purchased permanently, which is in the works. Lille crazily have accepted a £4m offer, less than his market value. Tommy Doyle was on loan and played in CM a lot, but may not return. I also brought in 19 y/o CM Nathan Dejonckheere as a prospect, while Harrison Reed and AM Chidera Ejuke are players I haven't barely used and am trying to offload. I'm also hoping to offload Foulquier, Omeruo, and Igbekeme, even though the latter did well for me. Furlong I'll happily offload if I can too. If I'm going to stick with the 442 central Diamond, I need a better #10, a back up TM, and I would like a new LCM just because I don't think Grimes is going to be a good EPL player. But, I'm not going to just buy buy buy.

The only pre-approved transfer is highly rated prospect Maarten Vandevoordt on a free transfer from Genk. Rinne was quality for us, but he's also injury prone. Plus, a highly rated young keeper on a free!? I'll take that.

2023/24 - Fulham Fights Relegation!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information