Re: Premier League 2020/21 Discussion Thread

On the plus side, the Euros and hopefully stupid name changes are coming

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Ed still mad about that Allison goal I see

Eh our season wasn’t great but to say we had a worse season than Spurs because we couldn’t replicate a ridiculous 99 point season is a bit of a hot take. Gaining 26 points from a possible 30 in the last 10 games is hardly a fluke either.

Also, Arsenal have apparently had a disastrous season and yet they reached a European semi final, achieved 5 more points than last season and were 10 mins away from finishing above Spurs in the league . That’s not to try and defend Arsenals season because I do think they’ve been poor. But, If Arsenals season was horrible, I really can’t see how you can say Spurs was fine.

I do agree that it was a pretty terrible season though. Everything was pretty much wrapped up at the beginning of April and the lack of fans created a full affair. The continuous failures of VAR didn’t help things either.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    On the plus side, the Euros and hopefully stupid name changes are coming

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Yessssss. Ed get on it
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Status

Ed has it pretty much nailed that Arsenal have basically become irrelevant. The decline of the club is obvious and appears to be unchanging. its pretty telling that our ownership has bene involve din the club for almost 15 years and majority owners for 10 years and sole owners for 3 years... and they are NOW looking to build trust and dialogue with supporters. Nothing will change because they genuinely do not understand the game and they simply do not fucking care. Will say the right things as much as possible and change nothing.

Like Chaddes, I have zero faith in Arteta moving us forward. but getting rid of him solves almost nothing because there is no structure in place success let alone succession planning.

our main value at this point is being a meme club with meme supporters.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

They/Them

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I wouldn't even say I have no faith in Arteta, because tbh it's not even 50/50 his fault. The squad is shit, bar a few players who are either too young to be relying on as constant first team players, or players like Pepe, Laca and as much as it fuckin sucks to say considering how much I love him, Aubameyang, who've not been consistent. Whether it's through them just not turning up, Arteta playing them in the wrong positions, but most likely both. And his bosses are incompetent fuckin twats who think hiring newbies in both recruitment and management is indeed a competent and big boy brain decision for a "big 6 club."

Arteta showed when he came in he has tactical talent and can do a job, but he's far to inexperienced to be a manager. People might disagree, but I think if we kept him as a head coach, we mightve finished 6th, which isn't amazing, but it wouldn't have been a TOTAL disaster like this season has been. It might be because Arteta won the FA Cup and that's the first time I've seen my team win a trophy, but I have this weird affinity towards him despite all my complaints about him. It isn't like Emery, who I just had NO time for whatsoever and had the red mist as soon as he came on screen. I feel more sad for Arteta because I feel like he's being made a scapegoat and already people are shifting from the Kroenkes and buying the fuckin away kits already.
    Last edited by Emre Chad; 05-25-2021 at 11:27 PM.

"Enough of this high & mighty bullshit, you're PISSING ME OFF!!!"
    Edgekechi
    TNA 2016: All The Fancy Tag Lines Were Taken.
    Sheffield United: Blades Against The Throat

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Chaddes/Papa. Hypothecially speaking, if Arteta left tomorrow, who would you guys want to take over?

They/Them

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Chaddes/Papa. Hypothecially speaking, if Arteta left tomorrow, who would you guys want to take over?
    For me, probably Rafa Benitez. I've been a fan of his for a long time and, since we're midtable anyway, he's a class manager that's been proven to do well in the Premier League.

Also think Farke would be a decent shout if we were looking for a head coach instead of a manager. I'd even be up for giving Dean Smith a shout if he left Villa because I really enjoy his style of football. None of these options would achieve the delusional heights some sections of our fanbase will be expecting, but regular challenging for top 4 would, I think, at least be a sure thing under Benitez

"Enough of this high & mighty bullshit, you're PISSING ME OFF!!!"
    Edgekechi
    TNA 2016: All The Fancy Tag Lines Were Taken.
    Sheffield United: Blades Against The Throat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    I wouldn't even say I have no faith in Arteta, because tbh it's not even 50/50 his fault. The squad is shit, bar a few players who are either too young to be relying on as constant first team players, or players like Pepe, Laca and as much as it fuckin sucks to say considering how much I love him, Aubameyang, who've not been consistent. Whether it's through them just not turning up, Arteta playing them in the wrong positions, but most likely both. And his bosses are incompetent fuckin twats who think hiring newbies in both recruitment and management is indeed a competent and big boy brain decision for a "big 6 club."

Arteta showed when he came in he has tactical talent and can do a job, but he's far to inexperienced to be a manager. People might disagree, but I think if we kept him as a head coach, we mightve finished 6th, which isn't amazing, but it wouldn't have been a TOTAL disaster like this season has been. It might be because Arteta won the FA Cup and that's the first time I've seen my team win a trophy, but I have this weird affinity towards him despite all my complaints about him. It isn't like Emery, who I just had NO time for whatsoever and had the red mist as soon as he came on screen. I feel more sad for Arteta because I feel like he's being made a scapegoat and already people are shifting from the Kroenkes and buying the fuckin away kits already.
    Oh, Arteta hasn't been put into a position to succeed at all. AT ALL. Poorly constructed squad with problematic players, no proper support structure, limited rebuild funds, you name it. It was a problem situation from the beginning. And putting a rookie manager in there was hopeful at best.

That said, he has made a series of missteps that lead to me having that lack of faith. Whether its dicey squad decisions, strange sub decisions, the "its maths" comment about putting in 419 crosses in a match, some horrible man management (the whole Saliba situation has been horribly managed by the club), the kind of "well we played how I wanted us to" comments after some poor performances (same as what Emery did), the utter lack of creativity the side demonstrates at times, the decision to sign Willian and then to persist to play him thru some of the worst performances I've seen from an Arsenal player.... ever.... A young manager is going to make mistakes as they learn.... but I don't get the vibe that he's learning from those mistakes.

Like you, I really really want him to succeed. Everything about it would be awesome - from his history with the club to his hair. I just don't expect him to grow and develop much here as he's essentially running the club entirely. Its interesting that he's being linked with the not-open-yet Barcelona job.

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    No one.

I mean, is there a manager out there capable of getting a perennially underachieving side to overachieve based on talent level, essentially run the club in its entirety, do all the scouting because we got rid of our scouting department, find a way to secure impressive deals for significant talents that are capable of performing at the club's targeted level, deal with a toxic fanbase, redirect us from being a meme club that just repeats its mistakes over and over and over and over and over again, be a shield for a shitty ownership that doesn't give a fuck, get inconsistent needy veterans to perform, develop young players with potential into high-performing players of quality, play an attractive brand of football, and.... more....

I've complained before about the lack of proper club management structure at Arsenal. It was an issue under Wenger, when the club was his personal fiefdom and no efforts were made to succession plan, which created a huge gap when it was time for him to go. We didn't learn from that, because Arteta now has a similar level of talent, despite not having won anywhere near as much or proven as much as a manager. I mean, I always think back to a couple years ago, when Emery was clearly failing and the club was trying to deny it. We were playing against Leicester and we got massively outplayed in a loss... one our execs came out and made comments about how Leicester are what we aspire to be, as their title win shows what can be accomplished without significant ownership investment and how it took some time and patience to build towards that.... As if looking at one of the biggest long-shot title victories in any major sport in the past 50 years is the model to try to emulate. it was also not that long after Leicester had made a manager change, which our exec seemed to not understand reflected really poorly on our own choice to stick with Emery. its a very Arsenal thing that Raul was wanting to give Emery an extension literally weeks before he was fired.

There isn't a Wenger or Ferguson out there who can take over and be EVERYTHING for this club. And that's what we need, unless our ownership who doesn't understand the game somehow realizes they need to build a management structure. But if they could and would do that, supporting Arteta in a proper way makes just as much sense as trying to find someone else.

I don't see a lot of great options. Conte wants free spending, which we can't afford. We aren't set up for Simeone to be successful, and we certainly wouldn't pay him anywhere near what Atletico does. Brendan Rogers isn't the worst choice but not sure why he want to take a step down to Arsenal (or Tottenham for that matter). I like Rafa.

But honestly, as long as we don't try to build something proper as a club and don't make any effort to learn from our mistakes, we are just going to keep going thru cycles of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    For me, probably Rafa Benitez. I've been a fan of his for a long time and, since we're midtable anyway, he's a class manager that's been proven to do well in the Premier League.

Also think Farke would be a decent shout if we were looking for a head coach instead of a manager. I'd even be up for giving Dean Smith a shout if he left Villa because I really enjoy his style of football. None of these options would achieve the delusional heights some sections of our fanbase will be expecting, but regular challenging for top 4 would, I think, at least be a sure thing under Benitez
    I like Rafa. I'd have no issue with him being manager. But it would be a horribly similar situation to what he dealt with at Newcastle, where he just wasn't given proper support. He might be given MORE money at Arsenal, but the support would be lacking in so many other ways and the money available wouldn't be enough for a true rebuild.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Welcome to the Premier League, Brentford. Thrilled they made it. Really interesting and well run club.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread Information