Thread: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Jerry Lawler vs Randy Orton

WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Jerry Lawler vs Randy Orton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y35b7avMyA

Jerry Lawler vs Bam Bam Bigelow, 8/9/1986

vs

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Randy Orton vs CM Punk, Extreme Rules 2011

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Jerry Lawler vs Randy Orton

Jerry Lawler should be a contender to win the whole thing outright. I don't think he will win the tournament for various reasons, but the man was an unbelievable wrestler. Heel, face, comedy act or in a hate-filled blood feud. He could do it all, and do it brilliantly. He knew his limitations and knew what he did better than anyone, and used that to be one of the best wrestlers I've ever seen.

Orton is, at best, inconsistent. He's had flirtations with being good - much like other wrestlers because of his time on top and the amount of big main event matches he's had he'll inevitably have a few great matches (even they are few and far between). But most of the time doesn't give a shit, doesn't put effort in, and he has failed to deliver in big matches. He can be good, but so much of his career has been boring or outright bad.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

But have you thought about the memes, Shock?

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Forget about over/underrated, this is simply one of the best people in the tournament vs. one of the worst and ridiculous to even discuss. Lawler is galaxies ahead.

WAKE UP

Status

Glad to see Lawler winning here. I had a spiel about Orton all ready to go, but looks like it's not needed..

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Glad to see Lawler winning here. I had a spiel about Orton all ready to go, but looks like it's not needed..
    I wouldn't have guessed it'd be needed, aside from people who may not have seen Lawler. I don't really know of anyone who thinks of Orton as anything higher than above average in-ring work. Obviously he made this tournament so people rate him, but I wouldn't have given a great shot at getting out of the first round.

ABSOLUTE

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Would it be anything that hasn't already been said a thousand times though? At a certain point it becomes pretty futile. Orton's flaws have been covered so many times. At this point, if someone likes his work, they've had plenty of time to hear all the rants about him and they're not changing their stance. I say fair enough to them. There are some guys in this thing worth going on a tangent about. Orton isn't one of them, I think. You'd be better served going on a spiel about how good Lawler is because that's an argument we've seen less of over the years.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I love Orton. He is still one of the few childhood favourites that I like. Had patches of brillance. I like most of his matches against Cena even if booking ruins some of the matches and it was way overplayed. His Rey feud in 2006 is awesome and has an incredible title match on SD. Ditto for the Benoit feud when he took over for Booker T in the Best Of 5. The Christian feud is another great series. Orton has a great match against Mark Henry in 2011 as well. Orton is very much great it his peak. But he has way too many periods where you don't want to ever see him wrestler. Insane motivational problems wouldn't be enough to describe it.

Lawler didn't really have that problem. He was excellent in any role presented to him. An all time great brawler and perfect example that you don't need a ton of moves to have classics.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

I haven't voted because I don't think I've ever seen any classic Lawler, and plus with his opponent being Orton there's no reason for me to weigh in either as the King is walking it.

I do agree with MC's assessments though. When Orton is on, he's great and has excelled at points as either a face or heel. I'd happily watch a best of Orton DVD - the Foley feud, the Christian feud, the Taker mania match, Summerslam 2004 against Benoit, those 2013 Bryan matches and the mania 3 way, some of those great Survivor Series tags and elimination chambers, the Hardy HIAC. It's when you watch him week in week out for almost 20 years you see he's way more miss than hit and motivation has always been a problem. I think if he came up in a different era his reputation and output would be better. To come up in the 2000s when WWE hasn't really had any competition and he's essentially been one of the top acts for 15+ years regardless of how he performs has made him lazy.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Thread Information