11 78.57%
  • Stan Lane

3 21.43%

Thread: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Dean Malenko vs Stan Lane

WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Dean Malenko vs Stan Lane

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dean Malenko & Chris Benoit vs Raven & Perry Saturn, Spring Stampede 1999

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDF-H0dz5Y

The Fabulous Ones vs Hector & Chavo Guerrero, 24/1/1986

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Dean Malenko vs Stan Lane

Although I love Lane, it's tough for me to go for a good tag wrestler over a good mostly singles wrestler.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Not really a big Malenko fan. He has his moments like the Rey matches but he has his off matches like the Eddie Guerrero 2/3 Falls match. And the Benoit/Malenko match at Hogwild is a total misfire where they read the crowd wrong. I prefer the reliable Midnight Express team who's matches peak higher. Stan Lane is always a highlight in his matches, like the Southern Boys match.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Not really a big Malenko fan. He has his moments like the Rey matches but he has his off matches like the Eddie Guerrero 2/3 Falls match. And the Benoit/Malenko match at Hogwild is a total misfire where they read the crowd wrong. I prefer the reliable Midnight Express team who's matches peak higher. Stan Lane is always a highlight in his matches, like the Southern Boys match.
    You mean one of the most widely praised matches in ECW history?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The very same. I found the match to be insanely boring and filled with mat wrestling that felt more like a dull exibition than a struggle for control. And considering the match was a battle between two equals, it led the match to become a tedious 20 minute match that I never want to revisit again. The crowd didn't help things either as they were too busy trying to decide whether to chant "please don't go" or "you sold out". The whole match rubs me the wrong way.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Dean and Eddie should of stared and circled each other for 30 minutes, then it would of been a decent match.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Thinking about it, Dean Malenko drinking hand sanitizer would make the match worth re-watching.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

I've liked what I've seen from Lane, but I can't vote against Dean here

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

WAKE UP

Status

Tough one, I'm not sure either should go far. Whenever Dean gets brought up in these convos I always wish his brother had had a career in the States. Even though Dean had the better career I think most who have seen them both would agree Joe was more talented.

Lane is good in his own right, but everyone knows Eaton was the driving force of the MX, and there's plenty of times where Lane feels like a passenger in comparison. Then again, the Fabulous Ones were a real underrated team....

Went with Lane but I could have gone either way.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Hard disagree that Lane was a highlight in MX tags, Eaton was at a different level and anything else sounds like trying to make yourself believe a narrative because you don't like Malenko. I'm happy to nominate Lane because he's very good and apart of an all time team, but on his own there's a reason he didn't break out or even gets regarded as well as his partner. In fact, many prefer the Condrey version of MX as is.

I love Joe, hard to say how it would have gone for him in America but actually Carl was the best one anyway so...

Also I like Dean. Criticism about his lack of charisma are valid but he made it work for him and I highly enjoyed his reliable matches in a truly terrible company which is always something I take into account when gauging a wrestler's skill: Excelling in bad circumstances. I think he might be the poster child for "so overrated he's underrated" in general in these online discussions. For a long time people put him up there and then this blowback came that he wasn't great. I also think his lack of push ultimately hurt him. When he had the chance to have memorable moments and crowd investment he did in WCW. In WWF he wasn't on steroids so it didn't work out as well, and who can really care about Double Ho-7 the way they did for Benoit, his most obvious counterpoint? He's good and should win this.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Just to be clear. I meant one of the highlights, not THE one. I meant he stands out as a great wrestler even with Eaton aside him. He certainly isn't being made to look better than he is.

Thread Information