Thread: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Matt Hardy vs Rob Van Dam

WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Matt Hardy vs Rob Van Dam

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1AW411v7Xv/

Matt Hardy vs Roderick Strong, Punk: The Final Chapter

vs

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Rob Van Dam & Rey Mysterio vs Eddie Guerrero & Booker T, Smackdown 30/12/2004

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Matt Hardy vs Rob Van Dam

Matt Hardy is a great wrestler. He never got pushed to have main event epics, and yet the one time he did (during the Edge feud) he delivered one of the best WWE matches of the decade. He's in my favourite tag team ever, and a great tag worker in general. As a singles wrestler he's incredibly reliable and solid, capable of having solid matches with just about everyone. His selling is great, his offence is great (he's got some of the best punches in wrestling). Basically, I love the guy as a wrestler and think his career speaks for itself.

I don't think RVD compares favourably at all. He's fun the first few times you see him, then you see him repeating the same stuff for twenty years and it's just very tiresome. I don't think he's that good at all, and I hope Hardy goes through here.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

I find this one to be difficult. Most of Matt's career was consistently solid, but especially on his own, he rarely had a great performance. RVD is the opposite. Sometimes he had MOTYCs and other times his matches suffered.

Maybe I'm bias, but I'm giving the nod to RVD. Not only was he the sole reason for turning me into an ECW fan, but he was the main highlight of a company for a few years.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

While I enjoy the Hardy boys, I find Matt's reputation as a great singles wrestler to be quite overblown. The evidence seems to be the Edge feud that lasted a few months, and then his WWECW run which some people love a lot more than I did. I recently watched some of his ECW title matches with Henry and Swagger, they're nice TV matches, that's it imo. I did nom Matt but that's on the strength of him being in one of the best American tag teams of all time, not his singles matches which the great ones are very few and far between.

RVD was one of my favourite wrestlers in 2001 when he showed up in the Invasion because I was only a year into watching wrestling and was dazzled by this cool guy and his unique moveset. And then he did that for 19 more years and I grew up and he didn't.

Lucky break for Matt, I have to vote for him.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

I voted RVD, he was one of my favourite guys in the early to mid 2000s and I've never been a big Matt Hardy guy

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

One of the most underrated wrestlers of his era vs. one of the most overrated, though that reputation has rightly faltered among many recently. I made the comparison in his thread and will again, RVD is like Jeff Hardy, and I always thought they sucked. Matt is like Christian, except he's wrestled longer and deteriorated more. But even now when he's not doing Hardy compound nonsense he's never been bad.

No contest.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    While I enjoy the Hardy boys, I find Matt's reputation as a great singles wrestler to be quite overblown. The evidence seems to be the Edge feud that lasted a few months, and then his WWECW run which some people love a lot more than I did. I recently watched some of his ECW title matches with Henry and Swagger, they're nice TV matches, that's it imo. I did nom Matt but that's on the strength of him being in one of the best American tag teams of all time, not his singles matches which the great ones are very few and far between.

RVD was one of my favourite wrestlers in 2001 when he showed up in the Invasion because I was only a year into watching wrestling and was dazzled by this cool guy and his unique moveset. And then he did that for 19 more years and I grew up and he didn't.

Lucky break for Matt, I have to vote for him.
    You also have the brief ROH run (the Roddy match is great); and I'd say Hardy has a whole bunch of hidden gem matches scattered throughout his career which are really good, mostly on Smackdown, often without much build or consequence, but still him delivering a real good match when he could have mailed it in.

[be more kind]

Status

Agreed about RVD doing essentially the same thing for 20 years. Whether or not Matt is overrated, he's at least got quite a few good matches with a lot of variety. Start with the singles and ladder match stuff like RVD, then you delve off into the tag matches & whether it counts for much in this, the Broken Matt cinematic stuff. He smokes (heh) RVD in range.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X104F using Tapatalk

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Rob Van Dam has never really done it for me. He has his key signature spots but nothing really else. I don't think his matches hold up well at all.

Matt Hardy was steadily good for most of the 2000s. He probably peaked in 2005-07 but even a few years after, he was still a solid wrestler. Not really been a fan of the Broken gimmick but there is far more good in his career.

Thread Information