16 88.89%
  • Sean Waltman

2 11.11%

Thread: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Christian vs Sean Waltman

WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Christian vs Sean Waltman

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Christian vs Samoa Joe, Bound For Glory 2007

vs

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1rb411M7Xm/

1-2-3 Kid vs El Generico, King Of Trios 2011

ABSOLUTE

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Christian vs Sean Waltman

Fun match up but Christian takes this one pretty easily for me. If X-Pac coulda been more consistent throughout his career this would have been more competitive.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Waltman is a really good wrestler in his own right. Even in his later years he still managed to put on a MOTYC with El Generico. His match with Bret is one of my favourite Raw matches. He was a workrate guy in storylines that didn't always fit that sort of thing.

Christian though is great. I think he's got more great matches to his name, and was good pretty much every step of his career. I'm going with Christian, despite the annoying clapping in his matches.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Waltman had some great years. I'd go as far as to say he was the second best WWE worker of 1994 behind only Bret. There were points in the Attitude Era where he was the most consistent wrestler on the card despite not reaching the heights that someone like Steve Austin was hitting. At the same time, he endured a lot of injuries that got in the way and then the drug abuse hurt him a lot after his final WWE run.

Christian was mostly really consistent throughout his career. Thanks to his forced retirement, he didn't really have a chance to drop in quality at the end either.

Christian gets my vote, but I wouldn't have a single problem if Waltman were to go over instead.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Waltman had the talent to be one of the best American wrestlers of his generation, he seemed like a prodigy early in his career and he has some of the best TV matches ever to his name. He's one of my favourite babyface acts of the 90s. But his personal life gets the better of him, and his career stops producing magic by the mid 90s. That's a long time from there until the Generico match to stop producing something special again.

Christian I liked a hell of a lot, his tag stuff was fine and he was in some important matches, but I thought he was a great singles wrestler. Maybe not a superstar, but someone who always delivered when given an opportunity. That Christan/Orton feud would be my pick for WWE feud of the decade - so many great matches. Jim raised a good point about Christian's retirement, the guy was still great when he retired after the 2014 chamber and fun TV program with Sheamus. Very few people in this tournament who are retired will be able to say that.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Waltman was a great talent in the '90s but Christian is one of the most underrated wrestlers of all time.

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

ABSOLUTE

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Markstrom View Post
    Waltman was a great talent in the '90s but Christian is one of the most underrated wrestlers of all time.
    Is he? Maybe didn't get the exposure he deserved in WWE, but a lot of people consider him great and basically everyone considers him good. Never seen someone say anything negative about him as a worker at all, honestly.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    Is he? Maybe didn't get the exposure he deserved in WWE, but a lot of people consider him great and basically everyone considers him good. Never seen someone say anything negative about him as a worker at all, honestly.
    I'm talking more about a booking perspective, should've said overlooked.

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

ABSOLUTE

Status

Then I would agree.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I would contend that Christian is generally underrated by casual fans, though not the IWC in general.

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

I mentioned it in EC's TNA thread, but Waltman has a few under the radar great months there even in 2005. Then the unfortunate reoccurring personal problems rear their head again.

Christian would take it for me based on consistency though.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I agree with virtually all of Ed's posts and for a minor bump to X-pac he was also essentially THE original indie workrate guy as Lightning Kid and his matches with Jerry Lynn as far back as 1990. He was his own enemy. If he could have matured and kept his head on straighter I think he would be considered up there as something akin to the AJ Styles of the 90's/00's and someone primed for a big run in this.

Christian was awesome in virtually every way. Even in his lesser talked about points in TNA & ECW he was constantly a highlight. I also agree he was a significantly better worker on his own than with Edge (wonder why...).

The talent level is high for them both but on the whole I give Christian the vote.

WAKE UP

Status

Glad to see Christian winning this. I think everyone agrees Waltman was a good talent, but I think he looks better than he was because of his surroundings. Mid-90s WWF was mostly a dearth of talent so anyone good stood out a lot more than they would on the roster 10 years later.

Thread Information