14 77.78%
  • Steve Williams

4 22.22%

Thread: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Bret Hart vs Steve Williams

WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Bret Hart vs Steve Williams

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Bret Hart vs Owen Hart, Summerslam 1994

vs

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Steve Williams & Terry Gordy vs The Steiners, Clash Of The Champions XIX

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Bret Hart vs Steve Williams

Bret for me.

Dr Death was amazing in Japan (against great wrestlers) but I'm unimpressed with him in the States which is why I didn't nominate him. Bret's whole career, sans 2 years in WCW when he was demotivated, was great. Great as a tag worker, great as a midcard guy, great as a main event guy. Revolutionised the way wrestling was wrestled in major promotions in the US (arguably twice). Apart from 2 years in WCW, there's not a point in Bret's career where I think this guy wasn't great. I can't say the same for Williams.

Bret's resume of matches and the number of people that had their best matches with him speak for itself, and he's someone that I'll be pushing quite hard in these threads if he gets through. I think he's an incredible wrestler that pretty much embodies everything I like in wrestling and what I like to see.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

WAKE UP

Status

In a fair and just world this would atleast competitive, but I fully expect Bret to steamroll Dr Death. I voted Williams and will plead my case later.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I like Dr Death. He has a really strong peak post MVC to 1996. The Kobashi matches are great. I like the TC title win match against Misawa. He makes the best out of teaming with Johnny Ace as well. But after and before that are really weak areas. I don't like his US matches except for the Steiners match. Most of the Miracle Violence Connection matches don't hold up well past one or two matches. I think Bret beats him.

Bret has been nothing short of good for most of his career. Extremly consistent and reliable. Able to carry lower-able wrestlers to great matches, able to hang with great wrestlers and reach great highs (Owen, Austin). Good in almost every role he has been asked to take. Face, heel, tweener. Gold.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

I know Steve said we are looking at full careers and so Japan runs can count, but it seems very odd in a tournament of best north american wrestlers to vote out Bret Hart in the first round because Steve Williams got to wrestle for a decade in All Japan on a roster of legit all timers. tbh, even if Japan counts, I still don't think that's as impressive as what Bret did in his career. Bret was at worst the #2 guy in the 90s in North America. He has to advance.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

ABSOLUTE

Status
      Country                    United States

Yeah it's gonna have to be Bret for me. Love Dr. Death. I tend to have a bias more towards hosses and I have an extra soft spot for gaijins in Japan (for some reason) but Bret... what can you say? He's the Excellence of Execution. He could virtually do no wrong. He made everyone he worked with better. Gotta go Bret.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Even in Japan the MVC were mega overrated. So much laying around in holds in an attempt to emphasize their "real wrestling" backgrounds. One of my favorite matches of theirs is vs. Hansen & Spivey because every time it looks like their about to drag things down Hansen refuses to let that bullshit happen and is awesome as always wreaking havoc.

Williams on his own did a lot better and his '94 run was as good as pretty much any Bret year actually but overall, Bret shouldn't lose this at all.

Thread Information