13 61.90%
  • Drew Gulak

8 38.10%

Thread: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Asuka vs Drew Gulak

WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Asuka vs Drew Gulak

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Asuka vs Ember Moon, NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III

vs

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1oJ411H7k1/

Drew Gulak vs Timothy Thatcher, LEMMY

WAKE UP

Status

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Asuka vs Drew Gulak

I like Asuka and think she's very good, but I stand by my idea that a lot of her popularity comes from the booking of her big run than the actual matches. I thought most of those matches were whatever, the only ones I felt were really worth the hype were the Ember matches.

Gulak is low-hanging fruit in a tourney like this, but is one of the best and most talented technical wrestlers of the last 10-15 years. It's a shame I couldn't find any of the CZW, FIP or Beyond matches against Biff or Thatch I wanted to post because they really are as much of his case as his WWE run, which has been strong in it's own right.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I voted Asuka. I'm not particularly thrilled about it as I don't really like either person being here, but I think Asuka plays her personality and character into her matches better than most wrestlers in the world. Her NXT title reign saw her carry absolute scrubs to good matches.

Both these two are very good modern wrestlers, but I wouldn't want to see either get much further than this and think whoever gets through has been pretty lucky to be paired against the other.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status
      Country                    Canada

Voted Asuka but it was a close call. Gulak is absolutely a solid worker.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

There's probably more 'good' Drew matches out there in the last 10 years than what Asuka's had, but Asuka has also had the best title run of any woman I've seen in NA and I enjoy her peak matches more than Drew.

I'm going with Asuka, but I don't think it's by a wide margin.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

ABSOLUTE

Status
      Country                    United States

Asuka for me in a very close one. Both are incredibly consistent in the performances they put in but Asuka has a little more of that entertainment factor so I gotta give it to her.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

So does Japan work count or no? To me if that's in play then it's clearly her since she was doing the BattlArts style that Gulak, Biff, Thatch, etc. 8 years before they did. But if it's purely on American work and we're counting indies I might go with Guoqk, whose entire run has essentially been stuck in 205 hell, although he made the best of it. On the same hand Asuka's surrounding cast was much less talented as well and she had to bring them up for the most part.

I still think I lean Gulak because of the pre-WWE run but I agree with Shock, neither of these two I would consider legendary American workers.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    but Asuka has also had the best title run of any woman I've seen in NA and I enjoy her peak matches more than Drew.
    Yeah this is why my vote went on Asuka too. TBH this isn't a great one for me because I've seen less than five non-WWE matches from both of these, so I essentially had to go with that part of their career. I like Gulak quite a bit, but I think Asuka has been the best female working in NA (I'm afraid I don't watch TNA or whatever it is called now) for the last three-to-five years.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    So does Japan work count or no? To me if that's in play then it's clearly her since she was doing the BattlArts style that Gulak, Biff, Thatch, etc. 8 years before they did. But if it's purely on American work and we're counting indies I might go with Guoqk, whose entire run has essentially been stuck in 205 hell, although he made the best of it. On the same hand Asuka's surrounding cast was much less talented as well and she had to bring them up for the most part.

I still think I lean Gulak because of the pre-WWE run but I agree with Shock, neither of these two I would consider legendary American workers.
    Go with what you want, I am saying we are looking at their full careers. That said I liked KANA pre-WWE but don't think she was better than Gulak. Gulak isn't fake-BattlARTS either.

Thread Information