WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Bill Dundee vs Dick Murdoch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf7_l_C2cxQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYRzKSydQU0

Bill Dundee & Buddy Landel vs Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantell, 10/6/1986

vs

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dick Murdoch vs Afa, MSG 22/10/1984

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Bill Dundee vs Dick Murdoch

Ah the best of the Southern Rasslers~! Both guys were great. Dundee has great Lawler matches, so many actually like the hair match in 77, their 86 Loser leaves town match (can't find it on YT sadly), there is one in 85 as well. He has a real good scaffold match against Sweet Brown Sugar in Memphis. He was small but it never seemed to be a problem with him. He used his size so smartly, utilising punches like deadly weapons and seemed like a big star for it.

Dick Murdoch will probably suffer because the 80s is where most of his matches are from and the 70s look to be his peak years in terms of popularity in Florida and condition. However, he is still one of the best wrestlers of the 80s. He has an incredible match with Barry Windham in 87 (11/07/87). He has two wrestling clinics with Butch Reed in Mid-South which any techincal wrestling fan should watch (14/10/85 & 22/09/85)*. His team with Adrian Adonis had some really cool matches against Rocky Johnson & Tony Atlas which isn't easy with Atlas involved and a great match against the Brisco Brothers (Jack & Gerry).

I think out of the two I'm going with Dick Murdoch. He was just awesome. Bill Dundee just comes up short.

Also I'm finding it intresting that all the old school guys are having great matches against Jack Brisco. Something to think about when we get to him.

*links included

WAKE UP

Status

Yea this is a tough one. I love me some Dick, he was a real wrestling nomad who turned up everywhere and was great in every role and great at seemingly everything. My one reservation is that off head I can't think of any top draw stone cold classics like Dundee had with Lawler. Dundee was also a really diserve guy who could rock it on the mat or tear the place down with a brawl. The Scaffolding match with Brown is a great match that really makes the most of an otherwise awkward gimmick. I may do a bit more digging before voting but this is a real Sophie's Choice match-up.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

As a native Memphian I went with Dundee, even though I have had many many terrible run-ins with his son.

Thread Information