19 95.00%
  • Roman Reigns

1 5.00%

Thread: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Dustin Rhodes vs Roman Reigns

WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Dustin Rhodes vs Roman Reigns

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dustin Rhodes vs Arn Anderson, Saturday Night 4/1/1992

vs

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins vs Daniel Bryan & Kane, RAW 27/5/2013

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Dustin Rhodes vs Roman Reigns

I nominated Dustin and didn't nominate Roman. I love Roman probably more than anyone on the forum.

I think Roman's only hope here is he has never been as bad as Dustin at his worst. He's never had a Black Reign-level run, which will eventually be what causes me to vote against him when it comes to it. But when I compare Roman's best assets, like being one of the best wrestlers in the world at one point, I think that Dustin has reached near enough those levels. Even in late 2013-early 2014, when Dustin had no business being as good as he was, he was one of the better wrestlers in WWE. Dustin has excelled in several different points of wrestling history as a TV wrestler. It's pretty special that he was awesome in WCW in the early 90s, and then again twenty years later in a far different style in WWE.

Roman's other argument was his high end singles matches were better than Dustin's, but then the Cody vs Dustin match happened and now I don't think he has that either.

Basically, this is a win for Dustin despite his down periods.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I also like Roman a lot, though probably not as much as Shock. That being said, I can't think of a reason to vote him over Dustin.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

ABSOLUTE

Status
      Country                    United States

This is a tough one for the pretty much the reasons Shock laid out. I consider myself a neutral observer on Roman. I see that a lot of people's criticisms for the guy are way over the top, and at the same time I think lots of people go out of their way to defend and praise him. To me, he's just good. He's had some periods where he seemed really good and he's also been in some of my least favorite matches of the decade. I think he's an okay worker who is mostly hurt because he's often set up for failure by his booking. Dustin's low are more a case of self sabotage, where he was either caught up in drugs and alcohol or just unmotivated for whatever reason. But, not many can wrestle 30 years and not have some considerable slumps. When he's on, Dustin is the kind of guy who can have a good match with anyone and even put on a great match out of nowhere. So it's a close one but I'm going with Dustin here. I think if you just caught both guys on a good day, with a good opponent and a well laid out match, Dustin would put on a good match every time while Roman could still go either way.

WAKE UP

Status

Who was worst at their worst feels like a totally irrelevant argument. Unless they were stinking up main events and dragging good opponents down, I don't think it really matters in a discussion like this. I'm not saying that to defend Black Reign, but a few years doing a shitty mid-card garbage gimmick isn't that big of a deal in a 3 decade long career.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Who was worst at their worst feels like a totally irrelevant argument. Unless they were stinking up main events and dragging good opponents down, I don't think it really matters in a discussion like this. I'm not saying that to defend Black Reign, but a few years doing a shitty mid-card garbage gimmick isn't that big of a deal in a 3 decade long career.
    I think people's worst runs are something that will need considered in closer threads. I don't think this is a particularly close one, but if later on I'm struggling to decide, something like someone stinking out the joint for several years will be a factor.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Dustin has the Vader match as well which, while not as good as the Brock feud, is fantastic so he's not exactly lacking top quality matches either. Dustin has definitely had his very lows like the Black Reign run, some of the Goldust run which has its moments. But there is a ton of quality there. The team with Windham is generally fantastic. He was great during the feud with the Dangerous Alliance being one of the key guys in all of the best matches. I liked all the Goldust/Booker T matches I've seen. Same with the later WWE run from 09-13. Roman has his peaks with the Brock match, the Shield matches, etc but he doesn't stick out as much as Dustin.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Funnily enough involved in one of the best matches of both men's careers.

I think this is one of those unfair situations where we're comparing someones 30 year career to someone else's 10 year career and someone has the advantage of having more miles on the clock and lowered expectations on the role they have to perform, so they are seen to over deliver where as the other might be a failure. Dustin is able to get by as a good TV match enhancement guy where there's peaks of greatest dotted around like early 90s WCW or 2013-14 WWE, whereas Roman as a main eventer is judged more on his big PPV matches, his TV match quality is secondary and he goes underrated for that - the hypothetical game is dangerous, but Roman would end up having such a better reputation as a worker in some circles if he was treated as a midcard act who was just allowed to have 10 minute bangers every couple of weeks. I know Dustin has the rep of being a great tag worker, but for those first two years where Roman was in the Shield, he was involved in countless very good-great tags and 6 mans, so he proved himself to be good in that role too.

I'm with Steve in not wanting to harp on too long about the bad periods of someone's career, but at the same time that's going end up being something hold against Dustin during this tournament so I can't blame anyone for bringing it up. Lets not pretend Dustin had a Jushin Liger type career where for 30 years he was never bad. Dustin did have his bad years.

One point where I have no doubts and totally disagree with Shock on is Roman doesn't have the singles match argument either because double or nothing happened. That's one standout great singles match in his career, and I'm going with the majority there in that because I had my problems with the match. I don't think that stacks up to Roman's two matches with AJ, his MITB match with Seth, his great version of the Brock match at mania, the Bryan Fastlane match. I don't quite see how they're equal here in this particular field, I remember doing the best WCW match list and it didn't bring up too many great Dustin singles matches. To me, having a good little Raw match with Randy Orton or having the match of the night on WWE Superstars isn't in the same league as stealing the show on a pay-per-view.

Also, I'll ask this question that isn't as loaded as it sounds because I might be totally ignorant. Did Dustin ever make someone's career the way Roman made Braun during that program together? I know as an enhancement talent he always made his opponents look good, but I can't think of anyone who owes a lot of their success to Dustin.

I should point out, I have no clear mind on this matchup yet, this is just a match that's really grabbed my attention and raises some talking points I'm interested in because I don't see this as a slam dunk. I think Roman's poor last 12 months doesn't help - whether it's the horrendous booking, or taking a while to recover from his latest cancer scare, Roman's peak as a wrestler might have already happened. I'm sure I'll probably vote for Dustin, but I'm not someone that's going to go gaga for him all tournament.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

WAKE UP

Status

There are plenty of great Dustin singles matches to point to - the Arn match posted being one.

Asking if Dustin "made" anyone is a bit of a loaded question, because he was never in the same standing in a company like Reigns. In his veteran years he worked with plenty of younger guys and helped them develop in the ring - Sheamus comes to mind as a guy he fueded with who got better as a worker for it. He's definitely carried his fair share of lesser guys (hell, he carried Lance Archer just last week).

I'd agree with the pro-Reigns points though, I think he's generally really good on a week-to-week basis (often better then than in PPV main events) and The Shield had a tonne of great matches on a consistent basis.

Comparing a 30 year career to a 10 year (and still going) career is a bit lop-sided, but that's the way the dice rolls. Will Reigns have another 20 years in him? I think it's unfortunately unlikely, though that's not what I based my vote on.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 05-03-2020 at 06:18 PM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

The Sheamus matches were also by far Sheamus' best WWE matches for the first couple of years in the company.

I've also never heard someone talk about Bunkhouse Buck unless they're going to say how awesome his match with Dustin was.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I've also never heard someone talk about Bunkhouse Buck unless they're going to say how awesome his match with Dustin was.
    That's not fair. Bunkhouse Buck was in the twilight of his career when he joined WCW. He had already been wrestling for twenty-five years when he began wrestling Dustin Rhodes. The vast majority of his career, including his prime years, was pretty much lost due to only working territories that weren't JCP or WWE. The fact hat he did anything of value when he came into WCW was unexpected.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I'm into Bunkhouse Buck. I thought he was great in the Wargames match too. And he also had a great tag match with Terry Funk in 94 on Bash At The Beach.
    Last edited by MC 16; 05-03-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Asking if Dustin "made" anyone is a bit of a loaded question, because he was never in the same standing in a company like Reigns. In his veteran years he worked with plenty of younger guys and helped them develop in the ring - Sheamus comes to mind as a guy he fueded with who got better as a worker for it. He's definitely carried his fair share of lesser guys (hell, he carried Lance Archer just last week).
    That's true, but it's not like Roman hasn't had similar matches with lesser talent where it was better than expected and he was probably the reason why it was so good. There's the Braun series, the Extreme Rules match with Big Show, his match with Rowan last year, that tag match with Shane and Taker. Shoot, he might be the only guy after Bryan to get a good singles match out of Bray Wyatt. If health wasn't an issue, I could see Roman being a great vet wrestler in the future, he seems a selfless person and worker. That's more a pro-Roman argument than an anti-Dustin one, Dustin's always been good at elevating talent.

Comparing a 30 year career to a 10 year (and still going) career is a bit lop-sided, but that's the way the dice rolls.
    Agreed, and I think it'll be a common theme in a number of first round matches of compared full careers to halfway complete careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    The Sheamus matches were also by far Sheamus' best WWE matches for the first couple of years in the company.
    That's a good point, I forgot to list the Sheamus TLC match as one of Roman's great PPV matches
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    and lowered expectations on the role they have to perform
    This is a very good point. That being said, the expectations of Dustin's role are very different in WWE and AEW. I think the latter has done a better job of making me care about Dustin again, which I haven't really done since he tagged with Booker. Even then, it was more his out of ring work than in-ring that I enjoyed.

That being said, he's had a few matches over the last year that I've enjoyed much more than I've ever enjoyed Reigns. TBH I'd rather watch the Bucks/Rhodes eight-man from like the third episode of Dark than any of Roman's WrestleMania main events.

This is a really good idea for a project by the way.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I really like Roman, but there's just not enough there in a contest like this talking about careers.

Thread Information