8 36.36%
  • Roddy Piper

14 63.64%

Thread: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Kevin Owens vs Roddy Piper

WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Kevin Owens vs Roddy Piper

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1dJ411D7V1/

Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa vs El Generico & Ricochet, All Star Weekend 8: Night 1

vs

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Qs411g7qh/

Roddy Piper vs Greg Valentine, Starrcade 1983

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Kevin Owens vs Roddy Piper

This would be a great match between both of them in their prime, but I'm going with Roddy on this one

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I said in the other thread this was the one I'm most interested in.

I am not as high on Kevin Owens as other people. I think he is a flawed wrestler (very spotty), and sometimes he tries to hard to input his personality that it feels forced. That said, I don't think I've ever considered him bad with the exception of a couple years ago when he was having dull matches with Jericho and Styles. So that's a good decade and a half of being at least consistently good, and sometimes bordering on great.

Piper is an interesting one. I've seen him in some of my favourite matches. Valentine and Hart are the immediate examples. I think he's great at wrestling a wild style, and living the gimmick in his matches which is always a huge plus whenever a wrestler can do that. However I don't think you can dismiss the fact that he's had some absolutely stinking periods in his career - like legitimately worst wrestler in the entire world calibre stuff.

I am leaning more towards KO for consistency while also having high end matches and being a superb tag wrestler. But Piper's style is much closer to my own preferred style of wrestling. I'm going to hold off on voting just to get some other perspectives.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

WAKE UP

Status

Can someone throw up some of the best Hotrod matches? He's clearly in the camp of guys who's peaks were pre-WWF, and I think the only matches I've seen from him before then are the Valentine Dog Collar match and the Flair title match. Would love to see more prime Roddy before voting.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

If we can find any Piper vs Chavo matches from NWA.....

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

There's at least a few Piper matches from Mid Atlantic on YouTube that I'll be checking out prior to voting for this. I'll post them in here if they're worth watching.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

I feel like I should at least watch that Piper/Valentine match to get a feel for what peak Roddy was like. I like Piper, but what I know of him has been more about his charisma and character work in controlling a crowd more than here's a list of great matches. Coming from someone who didn't live through his career, when people talked about him in documentaries and the like, his focus was always on his rivalries more than talking about his great matches.

Kevin Owens I fall out of love with sometimes, but I think a lot of that is down to poor creative and feeling like he's not involved anything important to think any deeper about his matches than 'here's a guy doing some moves I didn't expect him to use'. I think Shock is right in that Owen didn't really drop to the lows of what Roddy was like in the 90s.

Even if I look at this as peak Vs consistency, do I think Bret Vs Roddy (love the match) is better than Steen Vs Generico Final Battle? not really.
    Last edited by Ed; 05-03-2020 at 02:15 PM.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

The Flow

Status

Funny thing is I just watched the dog collar match last week

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I'm going to try and check out some of Piper's Georgia and Portland stuff before voting. I love the Bret match. Re-watched it recently and it's high up.

Here is a praised match of his against Buddy Rose.
    Spoiler:

As far as Owens is concerned. I haven't really enjoyed a non Sami Zayn match of his in years. He used to be one of my favourites and he's dropped off big time recently. But he has his highs with the Steen/Generico team and feud. The '10 Final Battle match speaks for itself but I love all of their matches really. He had a great team with Akira Tozawa for a short while as well. I think whether I pick him is dependent on how much I like the Piper stuff

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Okay I've watched a few Piper/Rose matches, both as a face. And a Brisco match, as a heel. He excellled as both really well. All were different match as well ranging from a studio brawl, to a lumberjack match to Piper on the defensive against a bloodhound in Jack Brisco. He's convinced me to vote for him this time around.

ABSOLUTE

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm going KO here. He's been very off and on in his WWE run but I hold his pre-WWE stuff in very high regard. Piper in his day could definitely go, but he had a lot of years where if he was wrestling, it was gonna bring the show down. In fairness, KO might reach that point too. Fortunately for KO, we probably haven't seen his worst years yet. But really whether I was looking at career average or peak, I'll take Owens.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I eventually opted for KO. He crushes Roddy in terms of consistency and while I probably enjoy Roddy's best matches a little more, KO has far more great matches over the last 15 years.

WAKE UP

Status

Does he crush Roddy on consistency though? I think that's big claim to make unless you've watched a shit tonne of Portland, which I know I haven't. Even then, I always thought Steen was hit or more on the indys (more hit than miss, but still). I will agree he has more great matches than him in the last 15 years though.???

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Does he crush Roddy on consistency though? I think that's big claim to make unless you've watched a shit tonne of Portland, which I know I haven't. Even then, I always thought Steen was hit or more on the indys (more hit than miss, but still). I will agree he has more great matches than him in the last 15 years though.???
    Steen at his worst is a little irritating and obnoxious but still alright. 2018 (I think?) is probably the lowest I was in Owens' career but I still think if I looked into that year I'd find some gems.

Piper at his worst is genuinely awful, and that's not just including his disastrous 90s WCW run. I don't think much of his WWE run on the whole (he could be great, he could be boring or bad). I don't think there's enough footage of him for me to watch beforehand to come to the conclusion he was better than KO who has 15 years of being at worst "ok" and at best pretty damn close to great. Ed put it nicely, Piper's most lauded match is the Bret match. But while that is great, is it better than the Zayn matches? I am not convinced.

WAKE UP

Status

There was a period pre-WWE where I HATED his stand-up comedy routine during matches.

Is it fair to compare Roddy's post-prime years here when Steen hasn't gone that far in his career yet?

Piper's most lauded match IN WWE, sure. Piper's career? No. Most would agree the Valentine matches were his best work. There's also his feud with Buddy Rose. You have to remember, Piper's prime was late 70s-early 80s. By the time he had the Bret match (let alone his shitty WCW run) he was already well past his physical prime.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Piper made good with some of the crap he had in the 90's though. I mean who in the hell could have pulled that crap with Bad News off in 1990?
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I've watched a good amount of Portland and this match is almost laughably one sided in favor of Piper. KO has had many runs of being absolute shit in-ring in his prime, letalone in old guy years, although in the last year as a babyface has been a positive on the current roster.

Thread Information