Thread: Puro Match YES/NO Thread

WAKE UP

Status

Puro Match YES/NO Thread

Same concept as here - http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=174120

New Japan matches go in the thread in the New Japan section. All other puro can sit here.

Nominations require an explanation/reason. Let's watch and talk good wrestling for the year of our lord 2020.

NOMINATIONS:

Kiyomiya vs Shiozaki, NOAH 1/4 - 2 YES, 1 NO
    Yokosuka vs Sato, AJPW 1/3
    Kagestu/Mayu Iwatani vs Momo Watanabe/Jungle Kyona, Stardom 26/1
    Harada vs Ohara, NOAH 30/1 - 1 YES, 0 NO

Toru Sugiura vs Miyamoto, FREEDOMS 10/2
    Sekimoto/Sato vs Miyamoto/Kodaka, BJW 11/2 - 2 YES, 0 NO

Yoshihiko vs Takeshita, DDT 6/6
    Last edited by King Steventon; 06-09-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Re: Puro Match YES/NO Thread

Nominate: Kaito Kiyomiya vs. Go Shiozaki - NOAH 1/4 - The best match of the year so far, amazing pacing from both men with both going out of their way to convey the importance of winning the championship. From a booking perspective I hate this because Go has never been a successful champion and his strategy for this go around appears to be to copy Kaito's image but as a match this was a top class match with both men putting high effort, good drama, and a good crowd.

Susumu Yokosuka vs. Hikaru Sato from AJPW 1/3 - The finals of a Junior tournament this is a bit more of a technique based match between the two than the more traditional stylings of Kaito & Go, but Susumu adapted extremely well to his NON-Dragon Gate setting against Sato, an always underrated worker who is doing great. Love seeing these two go at it and for a company that was dry as dirt in 2019 I thought this stole the show, even better than Sato's match vs Kagetora the night before. Such a good match with everything you would want from the two harkening to the old days of Jr. Heavyweight wrestling in Japan in NOAH & NJPW.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

If you asked me at the time Go vs Kaito came, I would've said yes but looking back, it's not an absolute favourite of mine. It's a very good match but I want to put some standards into the things I'm YES'ing. It was a nice moment to see Go win the title and he put in the effort but it didn't feel like an all out MOTYC that would stick with me. So it'll be a NO for Kiyomiya vs Shiozaki.

I prefered the Sato vs Kagetora to Susumu vs Sato. Something about that Susumu match just didn't HIT with me like it was meant to. Both put in good performances though.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Kaito Kiyomiya vs. Go Shiozaki - YES - Very much enjoyed this, even with a version of the match that had audio running 2 seconds behind the video I already knew the result going into it that Kaito lost to Go, and I wasn't a fan of that even if I get shaking it up a little as Kaito held the belt for all of 2019, but Go won me over a lot with his performance. Kaito also looked really mature in his performance I thought, wasn't the guy that takes 90% of the damage all match and then has a hot finish to retain the title via surviving, he felt like a champion giving Go as good as he got. I also dug the idea of them fighting it out in front of Kobashi.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

WAKE UP

Status

Kaito vs Go - YES. Most I've enjoyed a NOAH match in a while. When I saw the length this went I expected to hate it but they went big without going crazy and it didn't drag much. Part of me felt Go could have sold the arm better but really Kaito didn't spend that much time on it so relative to that it was good.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Am glad y'all liked Kaito/Go. Hard agree on it being wrong from a booking perspective. Let's hope Ed can find a way to watch my next NOAH match with proper sound.

Recommend: Daisuke Harada vs. Hajime Ohara - Global Jr. League semi-final, NOAH - January 30th: If you know these two names odds are you already know this was awesome, but if not just know you have just over 15 minutes of extremely crisp and fluid wrestling with exciting sequences, strong technique and a good crowd rallying behind both men, particularly perennially underrated Ohara, who somehow even was able to one-up even the great Ohara here. Fantastic Jr. Match that had me reminiscing about the peak of Juniors wrestling in Japan.

Also

Recommend: Kagetsu & Mayu Iwatani vs. Momo Watanabe & Jungle Kyona - January 26th: Stardom 9th Anniversary in Osaka - Last match for Kagetsu in Stardom and her career here ends with a bang and Kagetsu putting in a performance to be proud of. Although her future is in doubt, she's definitely wrestling like someone who is ending her career and leaving on a high note. And even still, nobody beats Jungle, who is amazing yet again showing why pretty much everyone loves her. I enjoyed the Momo and Mayu spots here as well, but ultimately this match was about the farewell for Kagetsu so watch the post-match as well.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Harada/Ohara - YES - I really enjoyed this, refreshing length and pace and my god did it explode in the final 5 minutes or so.

I also watched the finals of Harada Vs Dick Togo, and I didn't enjoy it as much. Togo is still great for his age and I'll be happy to see him in NOAH again, but watching these two matches back to back I greatly preferred the semi final.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I'm going to nominate Toru Sugiura vs Yuko Miyamoto - FREEDOMS 10/02/2020

Been itching to watch this and it didn’t disappoint. They made great use out of the tower of light tubes as well with Sugiura hitting a visually stunning cannonball with glass flying everywhere on impact. Miyamoto hit some of his great high flying offence, like his moonsault knee drops. Sugiura replied with some great strikes - him hitting elbows through a prone Miyamoto with light tubes in-front was a great spot. The finishing stretch had you excessive kick out at one falls but I loved it. It all worked as one great match. Great deathmatch fun with big match nearfalls.

WAKE UP

Status

Nominate

Sekimoto & Sato vs Miyamoto & Kodaka, BJW 2/11

Sato is a significant step up from the Bodygaurd as Sekimoto's partner. On paper the challengers are massively out-gunned, so they have to rely on their technique and athleticism to have a chance. A straight-forward match that plays to everyone's strengths, and Korakeun gets rocking for it. Miyamoto is a veteran at this point but is still a great underdog in the clutch, between his selling and how he makes a lot of things feel 'earned'. Kodaka should get crushed like a bug against a powerhouse like Sekimoto but he has a few tricks in his bag...

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Sekimoto & Sato vs Miyamoto & Kodaka, BJW 2/11 - YES

After about 5 minutes or so I was wonder why you were so high on this match, and then the dude counters the Sekimoto charge into a belly to belly into the corner and then I was majorly on board with the match from then on. Good shit, pal.