Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Dark Side of the Ring

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Dark Side of the Ring

Watched both Pillman episodes. As usual the quality of how the episode was shot was great, and I was pleased to see some good talking heads in there shutting down Eric's usual BS on these shows. Brian's family were the stars of the thing, his kids are all well spoken and seem to have come through a shitty upbringing as good as one could imagine, and Brian's sister is a saint. Melissa is an advert for how drugs can destroy your life.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

People's Champion

Status

To echo Ed's statements on this two parter. I thought it was a great return to form for the Dark Side of the Ring series. This was definitely a subject I felt I knew everything about but learned a lot more about what is a sad, upsetting story. Hearing from Brian's family and what they went through was awful but it's great to see just how good a woman his sister is and what she's done for his kids. I really wish them the best of lives because they've really have had some rough times. I will say as well, for someone who absolutely hates spiders myself. I never have felt so happy to hear a story of one, it brought a little levity to what was a highly troubling story.

My big takeaway from this week's episode is how is Nick Gage so fucking popular? He just comes across as an asshole screw up who thinks he's some great pro wrestler because he's capable of absorbing a lot of sick pain.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

He’s absolutely garbage, it sums up the modern Indy scene that he’s one of the biggest acts they have today.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I've been wondering the same. Is it just that he's apparently really funny on Twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

He's not one of those people who is popular because he's good at twitter. He's a step above Allie Kat and others. He has a genuine connection with the GCW audience thanks to his MDK persona and GCW's protection of him.

Main Eventer

Status

wasnt he a big deal in the early 2000s in iwa mid south and czw?
    I am the Foundation

https://twitter.com/TheJonGresham

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    wasnt he a big deal in the early 2000s in iwa mid south and czw?
    My impression is that he was a notable indie death match wrestler in the 2000s, but now he's a notable indie wrestler in the 2020s.

Jungle Life

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    He’s absolutely garbage, it sums up the modern Indy scene that he’s one of the biggest acts they have today.
    Def agree I cant stand the guy

People's Champion

Status

I will say that while I can definitely agree that Nick Gage is not the most likeable individual they have profiled on Dark Side of the Ring. I thought this was a fascinating episode. While I'm 50/50 on Death Matches there's no denying that Nick Gage does have his following and this episode did show why. The story of the fate that his brother suffered was definitely a sad one but also regrettably a bit of what comes around goes around. I still can't believe to this day someone thought it was a great idea to make David Arquette and Nick Gage have a deathmatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I will say that while I can definitely agree that Nick Gage is not the most likeable individual they have profiled on Dark Side of the Ring. I thought this was a fascinating episode. While I'm 50/50 on Death Matches there's no denying that Nick Gage does have his following and this episode did show why. The story of the fate that his brother suffered was definitely a sad one but also regrettably a bit of what comes around goes around. I still can't believe to this day someone thought it was a great idea to make David Arquette and Nick Gage have a deathmatch.
    This is the one area where I don't feel as if the episode did an effective job. My impression is that he did a lot of dumb shit for years while working death matches, then got busted for the most moronic bank robbery ever, suddenly became really popular, got out of jail, fucked up again, but got even more popular while in prison.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Yeah I watched it last night and don't think I'm any wiser to his popularity. I can understand why him doing time would enhance his popularity with that deathmatch audience, but this could've used some talking heads with longtime CZW/GCW fans to get to the root as to what he represents to them in the first place and also get into the culture of deathmatch wrestling. Just Moxley saying "He has this connection with the fans that Vince would kill for just one of his guys to have!" doesn't inform much. This felt like just one of their "Here's a guy and here's what he did" filler episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Le Champion

Status

I watched it and I honestly cannot see how people can be entertained by the deathmatch style.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

I loved this episode. Can't say I really enjoy watching deathmatch wrestling but I am morbidly fascinated by it. Much preferred the Gage episode to the Pillman double-header.

I think the only area in which I preferred the Gage episode to the Pillman one is that the Gage one was mostly new stuff for me while I previously knew about most of what was said about Pillman before hand.

People's Champion

Status

I mean I hate to say it. The main reason I sorta gathered someone like Nick Gage having followers and fans even in prison. Was comparable to women still trying to marry Charles Manson twenty years on after the murders. People just get fascinated with violence and people around it. Obviously this is to a different degree but that's how I at least made sense of it.

Underdog

Status
      Country                    United States

I never will be a "fan" of Nick Gage. Deathmatches just aren't what I like to see when it comes to wrestling. And I don't see Nick Cage as having any talents that I enjoy seeing in a wrestler. In saying that the episode was pretty decent, as I really didn't know anything personal when it came to him. By the end of the episode I felt sorry for him as he clearly hasn't had the easiest life, albeit some on his own doing.

People's Champion

Status

The collision in Korea episode might be the best one yet. This was a fascinating episode to say the least of what is one of the most intriguing events in wrestling history. Defo can't blame Hulk Hogan for turning down the invitation. That's not a trip I'd be wanting to go on in his shoes. Thought the CNN reporter very much added to things with his knowledge of the situation and what he had to say. Very good episode.

My favorite part of the episode was when Scorpio casually mentioned how Chris f'n Benoit gave him murdering advice.

I felt a little disappointed with the Warrior episode. It was going along well until 1991 comes and suddenly they're flying through the remainder of his life to quickly wrap up his life. They completely omit his return at Wrestlemania 8 and his abrupt departure again at the end of 1992 to the degree that when he returned in 1996, they claimed it was his second run. Other than a quick mention, they ignored his time in WCW. Although they obviously talked about his death, they failed to discuss WWE's treatment of Warrior's legacy with how they've flipped and now acting as if he was some golden saint. I imagine a reason why they rushed his life coverage after 1991 is because his widow wasn't involved with the project so once his ex-wife's time in Warrior's life ended, they didn't have any talking heads to explain specific time periods other than broadly discussing Warrior's more controversial moments.

Warrior's ex wife is the highlight of the episode though. She does a brilliant job at humanizing him while being very forthcoming about his negatives. Her story about how she learned of Warrior's cheating was heartbreaking.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information