Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Dark Side of the Ring

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: Dark Side of the Ring

There's no way Undertaker wasn't heavily involved or complicit in the bullying of Kanyon. I can't see next week's show showing him in a good light

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    There's no way Undertaker wasn't heavily involved or complicit in the bullying of Kanyon. I can't see next week's show showing him in a good light

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
    Renee Dupree accused Undertaker of bullying in a recent podcast. Apparently the boys pissed and shit on Duprees French Flag. From what i read it seems Taker had it done because Rene wouldnt go out drinking with everyone .
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

Just Yuri

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Renee Dupree accused Undertaker of bullying in a recent podcast. Apparently the boys pissed and shit on Duprees French Flag. From what i read it seems Taker had it done because Rene wouldnt go out drinking with everyone .
    What made it worse was that (according to Dupree) no one invited him out to drinks. Dupree got heat for not showing up to a party he knew nothing about.

It's funny how the backstage lore was always that JBL, Benoit and Holly were pieces of shit backstage while Taker was the beloved, tough-but-fair locker room leader; he avoiding being lumped into the bullies' category for so long. As locker room leader, he either took part in the bullying alongside his drinking buddies, or he knew about it and let it happen.

Just Yuri

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

The Kanyon episode was an eye-opener. Most of us knew about Taker's chair shots and the bipolar disorder and the Howard Stern calls with Flair, but I never knew he had violent episodes where he'd choke his out Vandenberg or where he would believe that the Scientology church was housing aliens.

I always thought Mortis was cool, as was Kanyon back when he was feuding with DDP and the Flock. Kanyon trying to campaign himself as the first openly gay wrestler was odd though; didn't Pat Paterson beat him to it by a few decades?

It was sad though. Kanyon meant so much to so many people, so the pain he was feeling must've been pretty debilitating for him to go the way that he did. If this episode shines a light on Kanyon's influence on the business, it won't bring him back, but it'll honour him for what he left behind.

Squash Fodder

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Dog View Post
    The Kanyon episode was an eye-opener. Most of us knew about Taker's chair shots and the bipolar disorder and the Howard Stern calls with Flair, but I never knew he had violent episodes where he'd choke his out Vandenberg or where he would believe that the Scientology church was housing aliens.

I always thought Mortis was cool, as was Kanyon back when he was feuding with DDP and the Flock. Kanyon trying to campaign himself as the first openly gay wrestler was odd though; didn't Pat Paterson beat him to it by a few decades?

It was sad though. Kanyon meant so much to so many people, so the pain he was feeling must've been pretty debilitating for him to go the way that he did. If this episode shines a light on Kanyon's influence on the business, it won't bring him back, but it'll honour him for what he left behind.
    I could be wrong, but my interpretation after watching was that he wanted to be the first openly gay wrestler whose sexuality was acknowledged while he was actively wrestling. Patterson came out in the 70s, but his sexuality was never acknowledged by WWE (in story lines or in press releases) until that episode of Legend's House. I took it as Kanyon wanting to be a voice for gay kids by using the WWE platform to build a legacy.

World Champion

Status

The episode was good but super sad. I thought was great back in the day when id watch him on Nitro. Had no idea he was close with Cage, Bucks and Luke Hawx.

I dont remember the Cena thing. But thats pretty fuckin shitty and i wonder if he was instructed to say that. These past 2 episodes really paint Flair as an asshole
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

Squash Fodder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    The episode was good but super sad. I thought was great back in the day when id watch him on Nitro. Had no idea he was close with Cage, Bucks and Luke Hawx.

I dont remember the Cena thing. But thats pretty fuckin shitty and i wonder if he was instructed to say that. These past 2 episodes really paint Flair as an asshole
    I thought the same thing with Cena's comments. I'm not saying that he was definitely following company directives, but it's important to realize that Cena wasn't nearly as big then as he is now. Popular? Yes. But did he have the power to say "no" to something he was told to do then? Not entirely sure. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he wasn't taking the company line.

As far as Flair, these two episodes really have made him look like an ass, but I guess in theory he could've just been sharing his opinion on Kanyon as an in-ring performer.

World Champion

Status

Cena, to this day, is a big company guy. Just look at the controversy this past year with him calling Taiwan a country and then walking it back. He's someone who is going to do what is asked of him as far as protecting the reputation of whoever he works for.

Squash Fodder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Cena, to this day, is a big company guy. Just look at the controversy this past year with him calling Taiwan a country and then walking it back. He's someone who is going to do what is asked of him as far as protecting the reputation of whoever he works for.
    That's a really good point. I had forgotten about that. He probably was asked to go on the air and bury Kanyon, but it's highly probable that he didn't put up much resistance.

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Windham View Post
    That's a really good point. I had forgotten about that. He probably was asked to go on the air and bury Kanyon, but it's highly probable that he didn't put up much resistance.
    Yeah I'm not saying he said this shit against his will by any means. I just doubt he genuinely thought Kanyon was "no good".

WAKE UP

Status

The Kanyon episode was sad, and the story of him calling Matt Jackson who had to talk him out of killing himself was pretty harrowing. Ultimately he came across as a guy with a lot of mental health issues and demons he couldn't beat unfortunately. I don't think anyone came out too badly. The chairshot from Undertaker was gross, but that was a small piece of the story and chairshots like that were still the norm back then. Not saying it wasn't shitty, but they didn't paint it as deliberately vindictive. Flair's comments made him look like an asshole and he probably didn't need to be so brutal about it, but he was just being honest about it. I thought the saddest thing was the email he wrote to Stephanie (the screenshot is floating around), you can tell the idea of being the first openly gay wrestler meant so much to him, but you do have to wonder if he would have been OK with it given how unstable he was.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Cena's even claimed in the last year that he doesn't have the power to say no in the WWE. Cena is the ultimate company man.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Sad episode indeed, it really highlights the need for people to speak up when they are struggling. I know Cena, Flair and Taker are/were company guys but that beating and the put downs following weren't warranted.

I didn't like the fact Steph didn't get back to him following the lengthy email as that was a massive opportunity missed, i'm with LS though..could he have really handled that with the bi-polar? It may have been too much.
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Comeback King

Status
      Country                    England

Just watched this and had a good cry. Feel so sad for the guy. Can only imagine how hard it was back then, we've come on a long way albeit we still have a lot further to go.
    BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

The Spaceman

Status

Jumped in this thread just to point out that between the plane trip episode and the Kanyon comments, this series has lessened my opinion of Ric Flair.

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    China

Obviously I would be sad at what happened to Kanyon. I just wished someone would have cared.
    Last edited by EpicNightRider; 10-08-2021 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Sent too early

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

James Mitchell?

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    China

I believe that's what Vandenberg is.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information