Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed's Top 100 Matches of 2017

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Ed's Top 100 Matches of 2017

He put Okada Vs Omega where?

2017 was another big year in professional wrestling. WWE announced record revenue figures despite having one of the more frustrating years to support their on screen product, NXT had an awesome year, more eyes were on the British wrestling scene than they had been in decades, The Elite became the hottest thing in independent wrestling, Floslam died, New Japan continued to grow both domestically and overseas, NOAH Was reborn, Wargames was resurrected, TNA was rebranded...again, Undertaker apparently retired, Shibata nearly died, Steenerico reunited and yes Jinder Mahal really was WWE Champion at one point. At the heart of it all though was some incredible wrestling matches and I have again compiled a top 100 list of what I considered to be the best matches of the year. My wrestling tastes did change in 2017 and I'm not sure there's as much variety as there was in the 2016 list.

Just like last year I'm going to post these in 10 match blocks, starting with the honourable mentions. The matches eligible to make the list were matches that aired between January 1st-December 31st 2017. However this year there are no matches from Lucha Underground so that's not really a huge issue, sorry believers.

Up first is the hoots/honourable mentions. 10 matches that for one reason or another I can't class as one of the top 100 matches of the year, but they're entertaining in their own way and deserve some sort of recognition.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: Ed's Top 100 Matches of 2017

Subscribed. Looking forward to this.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Comeback King

Status

Also subscribed. This is going to be great. Let's see how many of them I can watch this year
    BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

[be more kind]

Status

Down for this!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

The Honorary Mentions
    (in no particular order)

April 2nd
    Goldberg Vs Brock Lesnar - WWE Wrestlemania

These two made my honourable mentions in my 2016 list for the Survivor Series upset, so these two are a confirmed hoot at this point. A match that I was not looking forward to at all going into Wrestlemania actually turned into one of the better matches on the show and the one shining light of an otherwise abysmal 2nd half of that event. Knowing full well that Goldberg (and arguably Brock) didn't have the cardio to go the standard length of a WWE title match at Wrestlemania, they decided to keep this one just under 5 minutes and work one hell of a sprint full of finishers. Brock jumping over the spear is an incredible spot. I can't imagine anyone expected this match to be as fun as it turned out; all is forgiven for Wrestlemania XX.

April 9th
    Hiromu Takahashi Vs Kushida - NJPW Sakura Genesis

Here we are with another sprint, it was the year for them! I have never been more stunned by a match in New Japan in the six years I've been watching them. For a semi-main event to be under two minutes long is unheard of and it really solidified Hiromu as the dominant new face of the Junior's division. Fueled by a desire to regain the title he lost at Wrestle Kingdom, Kushida came out like a house on fire and dived onto Hiromu during his entrance, and ultimately it was a big error on his part. Hiromu works such an explosive, careless style that he can kill you in a couple of his big moves and Kushida was really playing with fire to try to match him at that high octane game. The result gave Kushida a redemption storyline going into the BOSJ and helped make Hiromu an even bigger star (more on that failing later)

May 27th
    Trent Seven Vs Matt Riddle - Progress SSS16 Day 1

And to round out this trio of sprint matches is the shortest one and the best one move match I've ever seen. Trent Seven might not have the ability of Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate to have MOTYC level matches, but what he does have is superior mic work compared to his British Strong Style brothers. Trent is what makes this bold main event booking decision pay off because he spends about 5 minutes in total brag mode about how successful he's become as a WWE roster member and how much money he makes now. Then he specifically winds up Riddle by claiming he's a friend of Brock Lesnar's and they discussed Riddle's cute 'Retire Brock Lesnar' t-shirt and how that would never happen because Riddle couldn't cut it in NXT. It's just the perfect set up to Matt Riddle knocking him out in six seconds with a knee. The crowd went mental for the humiliating defeat and would go on to chant SIX SIX SIX for the next few months during Seven's entrances.

November 18th
    WAR GAMES - NXT Takeover Wargames

As Monty Python would say, and now for something completely different. This couldn't be further from a sprint and is the longest match in this first entry by a comfortable distance. This was Triple H bringing back the WCW match stipulation War Games to host a battle between three battling stables down in his super indy territory. The match caused some controversy before the show when it released the rules and traditionalists were not happy at all the changes, but I never grew up with War Games so there wasn't that attachment to the good ol' days so I could enjoy the match for what it was. The reason it doesn't make the actual countdown is because the start of the match is dry up until The Authors of Pain enter the match and the finish is a little anticlimactic after twenty minutes of chaos, so I do have criticisms of it that drag it down and there were some tough cuts to be made in the top 100. I place all the blame on the dull parts of the match at the feet of Adam Cole who isn't even half the wrestler Seth Rollins is. That being said, once Authors of Pain do enter the match, I thought the action was terrific, brutal and entertaining; everything I wanted from the match. There were some really stand out performers in the match from the AOP boys to Roddy Strong to brave Wolfe who tried to battle on despite a nasty cut to the head after a table bump, but the MVP was Killian Dain who has never looked better in NXT.

April 30th
    House of Horrors - WWE Payback

No I'm not trolling.

I should clarify that I'm only referring the filmed part of this match at the house of horrors, and not the part where they were in the arena and the match ended with Jinder Mahal interference. If you're going to do a match like this, then you've gotta go #ALLIN and fully embrace the how crazy and dumb the Bray Wyatt character is in 2018, and that's exactly what they did. The first half of this match is as close to the Final Deletion as we're going to get in WWE. We had the house in blue lights, reversing ghost lawn mowers, the room with the baby dolls on the ceiling with pumped in baby noise sound effects, dramatic Randy Orton acting, a fight in the kitchen that led Orton to be trapped under a fridge only to later get to the arena in the same time Bray Wyatt, who stole Randy's limo, arrived. It was so beautifully corny and thoroughly entertaining. I watched the match live with a friend and was howling every second.

April 14th
    Braun Strowman Vs Big Show - WWE Monday Night Raw

This is the one with the exploding ring no finish if the picture didn't make that obvious enough. This episode of Raw was all centered around Braun, it came the week after he destroyed Reigns and flipped the ambulance and throughout the night he was killing jobbers and talent agents. Big Show tried to put a stop to it and made Braun pick on someone his own size in the main event. The match was remarkably good, in fact all of their TV matches together in 2017 were better than you'd expect them to be and I will always point to them as proof that Braun isn't simply a big man who has to be carried to good matches, he's a really talented big man wrestler and when you pair that with strong, protective booking like WWE had at times with him in 2017, it makes for a really entertaining package.

May 21st
    The Usos Vs Breezeango - WWE Backlash

For context purposes, this was a few weeks after Breezeango had started doing the fashion files segments to build to upcoming matches. Remember that? when those segments had a purpose of actually building to something long before they outstayed their welcome? Anyway, their quest to get the tag team titles off the 'uggos' resulted in a match at Backlash that I would call WWE's best comedy match of the year. In particular Tyler Breeze with his quick change disguises as a Janitor and then a grandma shone in the match and really engaged the crowd on a night where...well SD Live shit the bed. The match evolved from the comedy towards the end for the standard, exciting closing stretch you'd expect from an Usos match. In May, Smackdown had something with Breezeango, but after this night they took all the focus off the in-ring action and ran the backstage segments into the ground

March 19th
    El Ligero Vs Zack Gibson - Progress Chapter 45

This comes from one of my favourite Progress shows of the year, Galvanize, and that show will represented again in the actual top 100 countdown. However, earlier in the show was one of my favourite comedy matches of the year and it's right in the middle of the Origin Vs Banter Origin feud. March 19th 2017 was St. Patricks Day, El Ligero had started on the Guiness waaay too soon and showed up for his match drunk and with a St. Paddy's emoji mask on. What follows is a hilarious match where Zack Gibson, LIVERPOOOOOOLLLS NUMBA' ONE, plays a brilliant straight man getting more and more irritated that he has to wrestle a drunk luchador and can't get any momentum going. Given the nature of some of the matches on this show, this was a perfect cool down match to give the fans some light hearted fun.

July 9th
    Samoa Joe Vs Brock Lesnar - WWE Great Balls Of Fire

There was no way the pay-per-view title Great Balls of Fire was not going to appear on my best of 2017 list. This was a match that I was absolutely loving in the moment and then the finish happened and I felt more shortchanged than I have done from any match in 2017. The build to the match is fantastic, probably the most engaged I have been in any rivalry from WWE this year. They made the match feel must see and it was achieved by just presenting both guys as bad asses and trying to one up each other with sneak attacks to really build up the bad blood and ask the question of who the better fighter would be in a straight up match. Joe looked like he had Brock's number during the build and that played into the match which really Joe dominated. Joe choking Brock all shades of purple was fantastic, it looked like he literally wanted to suffocate Lesnar as long as it meant he would become champion and THE guy in the company. And then boom, Joe loses clean to a single F5 and all that hard work presenting Joe on the same level as Lesnar felt like a waste of time because the more important story from WWE's perspective is to make Brock look as unstoppable as possible and for the F5 to be a death move just so Roman can look stronger for surviving it at Wrestlemania. This easily could of been one of the best WWE matches of the year if it went another five minutes and Joe was allowed to survive some nearfalls. So frustrating.

August 11th
    Yuji Nagata Vs Bad Luck Fale - NJPW G1 Climax Night 17

Don't be alarmed, there's still more Yuji Nagata G1 goodness to come, it's just that this match was one of the more emotional ones of the year I felt more comfortable placing it here than in the actual countdown among his other matches. The match is sound enough, certainly not top tier for Nagata's tournament but I'd have it as Fale's best match. The real draw to the match is that it is Nagata's final ever G1 tournament match and he had been turning back the clock all month in his performances, but coming up empty in turns of points. In his final tournament match with only pride to fight for, Nagata was up against the biggest man in the tournament and his former protege, Bad Luck Fale. They have a very good match that sucks the crowd into rallying behind Nagata to survive all the bombs that Fale is throwing his way and pick up the victory - the crowd are more into this than the block decider between Naito and Tanahashi later in the evening. Ultimately the man on his way out has to do the honours for the next generation and is out for the sad 3 count after a Bad Luck Fall.

The post match is sublime with Nagata slowly coming too, with tears in his eyes knowing this is the end for him. He gets back to his feet and Bad Luck Fale is there waiting for him, offering him the too sweet hand gesture as a sign of respect. Nagata thinks about it and gives him the Blue Justice salute instead and in a moment that completely breaks kayfabe, Fale gives Nagata a bow and the crowd are taken aback by such a classy move by the heel monster. Fale leaves so Nagata can have his moment with the fans. Nagata's music starts up, the entire crowd hold up blue signs and chant his name, his #1 fan Nogami cries on commentary and Nagata bows to all four corners before making his exit for good from the G1 Climax. I'm man enough to say it brought a tear to the eye.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I think Lesnar vs Goldberg is legitimately one of the best short matches ever. It's one of my favourite matches from 2017 and I've watched it loads of times already.

I didn't care for the War Games match at all. Part of like you said could be the rule change bothering me, as a traditionalist. But I also found it really boring in places too.

House of Horrors is all time great Wrestlecrap. I don't think I'd have it on a list like this for me, even as an honourable mention, but it might be one of the funniest matches ever and is a blast to watch. I suppose that makes it a success?

Totally agreed with everything you said about Brock vs Joe. Frustrating in that it was like the first fifteen minutes of a great twenty minute match, but then it just ends. Still awesome though and I'm glad we got it.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Goldberg vs Lesnar was a much needed break from the rest of the matches on Wrestlemania. Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg followed two of the worst matches on the show (Seth/HHH and Orton/Wyatt) and it did so well to wake the dead crowd and whip them into a frenzy. It was great for the length the match went and I wouldn't mind seeing more sprint matches on long wrestling shows. It adds much needed variety.

Speaking of sprint matches. Himrou Takahashi vs Kushida was really well done. The storytelling in the match was tremendously done. Great way to progress the story between these two.

Randy Orton vs Bray Wyatt. WRESTLECRAP.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Goldberg/Lesnar would be on my 100. My favorite match at Mania and just an awesome five minutes.

That Riddle/Seven knockout is so awesome. Totally made by Trent’s stellar promo.

War Games would probably be at the tail end of my list. I feel like I enjoyed it more than others.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China
    Goldberg/Lesnar was awesome, would probably fit it right around where you have. Fring top 100 match as a match, but probably in my top 10-20 in terms of entertainment. Also in my opinion a top 5 WWE/NXT match this year, hot take.

Nailed it on Hiromu/KUSHIDA. Amazingly sad where Hiromu is at now and when he wins the title compared to here. Could have been one of NJPW's biggest stars.

Trent's promos come right out of a 2005 E-Fed and he has the name to match. Riddle owning him was great.

War Games has a lot of flaws, but some great moments too. Cole is about the same level as Rollins and he was awful in that match. Amazing that NXT gets so much better when it's focused on other people besides Undisputed. War Games wouldn't be in contention. Maybe if I did a top 500.

House of Horrors was not as awful as the WM match. That's as nice as I'll be.

Show/Braun was good but still built more around the big moment than being a standout match to me. Fitting with how this list has gone.

Usos/Breezango was fun fwiw.

The El Generico mask spot was hilarious. The wheelchair spot was awesome. Lots of fun.

Agreed about Joe/Brock. The character work was so awesome from Joe. The match was so disappointing.

*salutes* Nagata & Fale post-match was very emotional. The booking surrounding Nagata's G1 might be my #1 most hated booking of the year. Should have been so much more.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I think Lesnar vs Goldberg is legitimately one of the best short matches ever. It's one of my favourite matches from 2017 and I've watched it loads of times already.
    Given it's a world title match at Wrestlemania between two high profile names, it's probably going to end up as a go-to answer as what's one of the best short matches of all time.

I didn't care for the War Games match at all. Part of like you said could be the rule change bothering me, as a traditionalist. But I also found it really boring in places too.
    That's why it was cut from the original Top 100 list. It definitely had it's low moments in the match and dragged at times, but I really enjoyed the highs and performances.

House of Horrors is all time great Wrestlecrap. I don't think I'd have it on a list like this for me, even as an honourable mention, but it might be one of the funniest matches ever and is a blast to watch. I suppose that makes it a success?
    I had Final Deletion on this honourable mentions last year, and I felt like this was 2017's version of that. It's worth nothing these aren't what I consider the #110-#101 of the greatest matches of the year, these 10 are for matches I feel are worthy of special mentions.

Totally agreed with everything you said about Brock vs Joe. Frustrating in that it was like the first fifteen minutes of a great twenty minute match, but then it just ends. Still awesome though and I'm glad we got it.
    6 minutes was too short for probably this one time only match.

I remember watching this PPV on the Monday after working via the network and during Lesnar's entrance I nudged my PS4 controller and it showed up the time had only 10 minutes to go. Kinda gave away I was in for a short Lesnar match again before it even happened to kill the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Goldberg vs Lesnar was a much needed break from the rest of the matches on Wrestlemania. Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg followed two of the worst matches on the show (Seth/HHH and Orton/Wyatt) and it did so well to wake the dead crowd and whip them into a frenzy. It was great for the length the match went and I wouldn't mind seeing more sprint matches on long wrestling shows. It adds much needed variety.
    It was definitely sandwiched between some shit matches.

Speaking of sprint matches. Himrou Takahashi vs Kushida was really well done. The storytelling in the match was tremendously done. Great way to progress the story between these two.
    It was top drawer booking.

Randy Orton vs Bray Wyatt. WRESTLECRAP.
    The best kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    Goldberg/Lesnar would be on my 100. My favorite match at Mania and just an awesome five minutes.
    My 2nd favourite match from Wrestlemania

That Riddle/Seven knockout is so awesome. Totally made by Trent’s stellar promo.
    It was all Trent. So great.

I also think having the balls to pull that off in the main event of a show when everyone's expecting your classic 20 minute match on the indies to close the show is what helped it too. It was stunning and people popped for the surprise.

War Games would probably be at the tail end of my list. I feel like I enjoyed it more than others.
    Yeah, I certainly couldn't of put it much higher than the tail end. Really glad it returned though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Goldberg/Lesnar was awesome, would probably fit it right around where you have. Fring top 100 match as a match, but probably in my top 10-20 in terms of entertainment. Also in my opinion a top 5 WWE/NXT match this year, hot take.
    That certainly is a hot take if you include NXT. We're gonna disagree quite a bit I feel coming up

Nailed it on Hiromu/KUSHIDA. Amazingly sad where Hiromu is at now and when he wins the title compared to here. Could have been one of NJPW's biggest stars.
    I'll touch on the problems with Hiromu later when we get to another match, but this was like the peak for the guy because as you'll remember (because you were the first to speak out about it iirc), they gave up on protecting him at BOSJ and he didn't feel like the top guy he did only a month earlier.

Trent's promos come right out of a 2005 E-Fed and he has the name to match. Riddle owning him was great.
    Trent's promo was perfect

War Games has a lot of flaws, but some great moments too. Cole is about the same level as Rollins and he was awful in that match. Amazing that NXT gets so much better when it's focused on other people besides Undisputed. War Games wouldn't be in contention. Maybe if I did a top 500.
    Harsh on Rollins imo.

I can not wait for your upcoming review of Cole Vs Black, that could be a bad one on Saturday!

House of Horrors was not as awful as the WM match. That's as nice as I'll be.
    House of Horrors just went into so bad is good territory for me. WM match was both bad and dull outside of canvas magic.

Show/Braun was good but still built more around the big moment than being a standout match to me. Fitting with how this list has gone.
    I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this, because I'm someone that hated the original Brock/Show ring explode spot.

Usos/Breezango was fun fwiw.
    Super fun.

The El Generico mask spot was hilarious. The wheelchair spot was awesome. Lots of fun.
    Glad someone's seen the match, I wish I could find a good pic of the emoji head Ligero came out with, so funny.

Agreed about Joe/Brock. The character work was so awesome from Joe. The match was so disappointing.
    I felt robbed of a classic all time match.

*salutes* Nagata & Fale post-match was very emotional. The booking surrounding Nagata's G1 might be my #1 most hated booking of the year. Should have been so much more.
    There was room for it too because Naito was an absolute lock to win Block A that it lacked a little interest in results and storytelling even if it did rock in match quality.

---

Thanks for the feedback so far, I've already forgotten how long it takes me to do this and things got busy on Monday. Hoping to crack on with this in the next couple of days.