Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: NJPW General Discussion Thread

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Japan

Re: NJPW General Discussion Thread

Okada is practically one of the greatest representative of the WON and Meltzer in history. I think regardless of competition he would have gotten an extremely high amount of votes just for the various narratives surrounding him. Hell, Meltzer was mad he didn't get 100% of the vote and claimed it was an injustice and a product of strategic voting.

Bigger issue is why this man is a HOF guy at all to be talked about at like 35 when there's at least a decade left in his "true" run. That said, it obviously meant something to him and for him to do an interview about it was pretty neat. He's a way better inductee than Nakamura at least, someone who may be the worst HOFer in any HOF that ever existed in any category.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status
      Country                    England

There’s going to be a 48 man field for the NJ Cup, so whether it’s from NOAH or the gaijins are finally coming in (or both), NJPW’s roster is about to get a boost.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

They will be putting in champions other than IWGP Heavy as well as juniors I am guessing.

16 first round byes looks like too. Not sure how much overseas gaijin will be involved unless theyve preemptively secured visas or have one already. I strongly suspect NOAH, DDT and maybe GLEAT will be involved.

Guessing we will finally get Hiromu vs Naito?

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

48 seems excessive even including other companies and the Strong crew. It's certainly intriguing though - who exactly will be involved and where.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Well, never mind. All NJPW guys.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

unknown-1.jpg

Well New Japan guys plus CIMA! It's probably a few years too late but still

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Classic New Japan. They had the chance to do something different and creative, had people excited for the brackets and then just did a NJPW + CIMA tournament. I finally cancelled my NJWorld subscription this weekend after 8 years of subbing, a few years overdue for sure.

And WTF is with those brackets. Ishii Vs Shingo in the first round, but Gedo and Dick Togo get byes to the 2nd round?
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Urgent exit required.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Classic New Japan. They had the chance to do something different and creative, had people excited for the brackets and then just did a NJPW + CIMA tournament. I finally cancelled my NJWorld subscription this weekend after 8 years of subbing, a few years overdue for sure.

And WTF is with those brackets. Ishii Vs Shingo in the first round, but Gedo and Dick Togo get byes to the 2nd round?
    They said the byes were random but they probably have to seed some of the crap names into the second round otherwise the first round's just full of matchups nobody is keen to see. Guess that's what has happened.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

If you told me they were trying to make the tournament bad on purpose, it's hard to argue with this bracket.

The lone positive is that this year's kind of up in the air as usually there's one or two obvious favorites which realistically there kind of are. I would say Ibushi, Shingo, Cobb are possible winners and they have been setting up O-Khan with singles matches so you can throw him in there. My gut reaction is Cobb playing off of last year's deal. But they could go for him beating Okada here and losing to one of the others in the final as well.

Status

What the fuck is going on with Kota Ibushi and these tweets? Seems to be going after Kikuchi, who is (apparently?) the actual head booker for NJPW...? Kota out?
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Urgent exit required.

Status

If it's not a work then Ibushi's probably gone or going to AEW. Sounds like he's fed up of how he has been treated or booked. Probably something to do with his injuries and him struggling to meet NJPW demands. Pretty sure they wanted him back for WK and NJC and he wasn't able to do both. NJPW might have lost patience and threw the gloves off and he's taking it personal? I don't know. There's definitely something going on along those lines. I'm going to guess he didn't work WK due to slow recovery, was going to work NJC but unable due to injuries and now NJPW have told him that they aren't going to book him seriously until he's 100% ready - and he's taken that as a sign that they don't want him anymore.

Also read that he made an appearance elsewhere during this timeframe at a small show and he has heat backstage with a few people over that (Japan takes this sorta stuff super serious).

I love Ibushi but at 39, he's rapidly running out of time. I think there's probably been alot of sour tastes recently with regards to Ibushi's title reign as well.

edit: forgot to say that Ibushi is also well known as being unreliable and in general, a bit weird/batshit so would take this stuff with grain of salt. I highly, highly doubt Ibushi walks away from NJPW as easy as this. If it's all legit and he's left/leaving, AEW need to tread carefully or Forbidden Door won't be happening. Just saw some of the tweets too and he was taking shots at TAKA and Taichi so guessing the heat stuff is true. Also tagging TV execs and shit, he's really going for it...
    Last edited by Shake; 05-10-2022 at 01:30 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

A lot of wrestlers have commented on it both in NJPW and DDT sphere.

Shuji Ishikawa said: Please stop him.

Yukio Sakaguchi: Here we go again.

Yoshitatsu said a frustrated worker should try to get his name out there.

Great O'Khan said he hates pro wrestling.

Only Ibushi and those involved know the truth so I can only offer speculation and it goes like this:

NJPW wanted Ibushi to wrestle shows after he got the go ahead from a doctor, but Ibushi was not mentally able to return and likely has been dealing with a lot of issues based on his title reign and how poorly it was handled up and down which unfortunately led to Ibushi taking heat from fans for "unifying the titles" which is comical because a single worker can't just do that, of course it was the company that is responsible and wasn't even a bad idea, but just handled poorly. But regardless for whatever reason Ibushi didn't want to come back. This created heat. With how many times Tanahashi has come back early they probably just expected Ibushi to be the same as him. He had made a statement 2 weeks ago about "taking things to the next level" to which TAKA responded something like "Don't do it" so I suspected this was brewing for awhile rather than Ibushi losing it or whatever. In the translations it is said that he made note of cheating and sexually harassing guys (Which would obviously mean Taichi & TAKA, both of which were publicly exposed, Taichi for cheating & TAKA for harassment) And also something about black always being black (black being a slang term for a company being unfair towards workmen & women, many of which are highly overworked in Japan) so it is clear he is not happy with Management for some reason nobody knows publicly. Also of note Ibushi appeared on a JTO show as a second which could have been apart of all this but again, nobody knows for sure.

Meltzer calling Gedo a figurehead booker is awesome because it shows how out of the loop he is as he willingly praised his booking and gave him booker of the year in his own awards. I wonder how many people knew though, even other wrestlers may very well have been under that impression. You cannot trust reports from wrestlers as they themselves are often out of the loop.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Update: Later on in the day Ibushi posted the public conversation and it was more or less what I thought about the company pushing Ibushi to come back faster than his body was ready for and he had enough of it. He posted more of their convo and at first Kikuchi basically tried to cool him off and claims that they're friends who have been through a lot together and Ibushi KIND OF chills out where he says he will meet with Ohbari and Gedo, but he can't forgive Kikuchi for trying to manipulate him with this contract business. Ibushi and Gedo appeared to have hashed it out somehow and Gedo is actually the booker after all rather than a figurehead apparently. But he's still pissed, often answering the fans tweeting at him. What I've seen him say:

Says his mental health is perfect, but his body is in terrible shape and hurting.

Says Ohbari is shallow and won't care about his issues.

Says the company is insane and tried to advertise him even before he knew and was ready, so why would they do better now?

Says there's a less than 1% chance he would ever wrestle in DDT again.

Also of note the biggest controversy among Japanese fans seems to be him revealing Gedo as the booker as he is mostly known as just a manager/wrestler moreso than any kind of executive and it is seemingly a surprising revelation that Ibushi would break kayfabe, a serious thing. The idea that this is is any kind of work is almost comical after he did that publicly, and that's coming from the most cynical person in wrestling.

In the interest of fairness Voices of Wrestling put out their own report that claims Ibushi is actually pissed because they WOULDN'T let him wrestle, among some claims that Kikuchi ripped Ibushi off of merch money. Who knows, but the injury part goes directly counter to what Ibushi is saying in his own conversation he's posting so...who knows? Will be interesting how they are able to get Ibushi into the swing of things at this rate and who even knows what this man will say next when we wake up tomorrow. There's still a lot that feels missing to all of this but it feels a bit more personal than is being let on to me.

Urgent exit required.

Status

He has well and truly lost the plot. Even if what he is saying is true... airing it publicly will not be good for him.

Saw that hes starting to say NJPW are in bed with Yakuza... is he a lunatic? Hes trying to get fired now.

Forgot to add but everyone knows how bad a Yakuza expose can be. JMMA has never recovered from it so if Ibushi exposes NJPW or even other feds as being associated with organised crime then its good night irene?
    Last edited by Shake; 05-12-2022 at 12:25 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Ibushi's done for sure in NJPW & probably every major company in Japan after that Yakuza spiel. You aren't supposed to say the quiet part out loud and to do so is unforgivable on a business level.

He also revealed wrestling matches were pre-determined which probably alienated him from any wrestler that would have been supportive or agrees with him if what he's saying about NJPW is true. He definitely could have handled it better, but we don't know what exactly these shady dealings are that has caused him to go off so much. He's promised to reveal the truth eventually. Until we know that part I hesitate to think poorly of him. Companies are exploitative and I have no problem believing his side of the story.

My hunch is what happens next is NJPW grants him what he really wants, which is obviously to be fired in the next few days and publicly distances the company from all this. Ibushi is probably done in wrestling unless he runs his own shows somehow, but that's hard to believe anyone but low tier indie guys would even want to be apart of something with him.

Unbelievable.

Status

Ironically, Japanese MMA is having another Yakuza scandal right this very minute, apparently. Had no idea - I don't follow close after the death of Pride - but saw a Twitter thread on it.

Looks like Kota evolved from airing some grievances to full-blown scorched earth. Seen a few folks comment that he's crossed a few lines that probably can't be uncrossed.

You always hear about how he's such a weird dude, with all his little quirks. I guess trying to bomb out your home promotion for the last 5 years is a bit quirky....
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Yeah, so basically Sakakibara (also owner of PRIDE fwiw) has a promotion called RIZIN (its dope) but some blogger or some shit is threatening to leak audio (or has done) that proves Sakakibara has links with organised crime. I think it's because this blogger used to be an employee or has some grudge or some shit. PRIDE went under because I think some tabloids ran the story they had links with organised crimes and tv deals got nuked then they died. Same could happen to NJPW here as PRIDE was fookin huge.

Any Japanese org would be mad to go for Ibushi after this.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Sakakibara once tried to get Ibushi to go to RIZIN. Maybe he was playing the long game. Now getting Ibushi to come in to "prove" they don't work with the Yakuza either.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Ibushi is at it again and being cryptic still.

Mother attempted suicide on May 8 due to the stress caused by Ohbari and Kikuchi. It seems his mother has been overly concerned at Ibushi's mental state as well as what Ibushi told her (power abuse by higher ups in NJPW). Ibushi is angry because they dont have the stones to meet him face to face about anything, instead its just LINE and faxes. Ibushi is very clearly blaming Kikuchi for this and is saying he will share more in future when he is done looking after his mum. Also sarcastically has asked Kikuchi if he knows how to fix hip bones....

Yeah, not good. Ibushi also has hinted at going to court in those tweets.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

I'm cool. I think

Status
      Country                    UK

This whole situation is just getting messier and messier, jesus. I hope and pray for the best for Ibushi and his mum, and that they get whatever help they need. Because man, it’s just a sad situation all around.
    " I have this weird self-esteem issue where I hate myself but still think I’m better than everyone else."

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread Information