Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: NJPW General Discussion Thread

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: NJPW General Discussion Thread

So the G1 Climax is pretty much the best of the best tournament yeah but the whole reason that's the case is because it's very difficult for the champion to win it in the first place. Not sure how many reigning hebbiQ champs have done it but must be less than 5. None in the modern era I think. So yeah, the champ SHOULD win it on paper but when he doesn't then the winner is technically the rightful heir to the championship right? That's the basic premise of it.

Out of kayfabe, you know the champion's chances of winning the G1 are slim to none as it sort of defeats the point of the tournament in a meta sense. They like to use the tournament to push someone into a top role and see the reaction - you're 'guaranteed' Dome main event status so it's interesting to see how fans react to that and the build. More often than not, they plant seeds throughout the year before that sort of gives hints as to where they're going with things.

You can only get a title shot post G1 if a) you beat the champ during the tournament (most likely), b) somehow earn it another way or c) the champ wins the tournament and selects you for a title defence at KOPW. It's a pretty safe bet most of the time that the champion going into the G1 is headlining the Dome and the G1 winner will also make it the Dome. Everything in between is mostly filler/adding to the story unless something happens that makes them change plans. Like you said, it diminishes the tournament if champ/g1 winner loses their right to contend before getting to the Dome. It will rarely happen as said unless they really need to change plans or do something. They'll never try to de-legitimise the G1 or take away from the winner normally. I think last year was a special case with Ibushi and White and the two night Dome show (Ibushi still got his title shot as G1 Winner).

You'll also find there are some belt switches just before the G1 if they're looking to make someone be a viable contender. People who lose belts before the G1 should be looked at as people of interest. Nakamura regularly lost his IC title before the G1 for example.
    Last edited by Shake; 07-16-2021 at 10:02 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    So the G1 Climax is pretty much the best of the best tournament yeah but the whole reason that's the case is because it's very difficult for the champion to win it in the first place. Not sure how many reigning hebbiQ champs have done it but must be less than 5. None in the modern era I think. So yeah, the champ SHOULD win it on paper but when he doesn't then the winner is technically the rightful heir to the championship right? That's the basic premise of it.

Out of kayfabe, you know the champion's chances of winning the G1 are slim to none as it sort of defeats the point of the tournament in a meta sense. They like to use the tournament to push someone into a top role and see the reaction - you're 'guaranteed' Dome main event status so it's interesting to see how fans react to that and the build. More often than not, they plant seeds throughout the year before that sort of gives hints as to where they're going with things.

You can only get a title shot post G1 if a) you beat the champ during the tournament (most likely), b) somehow earn it another way or c) the champ wins the tournament and selects you for a title defence at KOPW. It's a pretty safe bet most of the time that the champion going into the G1 is headlining the Dome and the G1 winner will also make it the Dome. Everything in between is mostly filler/adding to the story unless something happens that makes them change plans. Like you said, it diminishes the tournament if champ/g1 winner loses their right to contend before getting to the Dome. It will rarely happen as said unless they really need to change plans or do something. They'll never try to de-legitimise the G1 or take away from the winner normally. I think last year was a special case with Ibushi and White and the two night Dome show (Ibushi still got his title shot as G1 Winner).

You'll also find there are some belt switches just before the G1 if they're looking to make someone be a viable contender. People who lose belts before the G1 should be looked at as people of interest. Nakamura regularly lost his IC title before the G1 for example.
    Thanks for the response. The winner sorta being the "uncrowned champ" analogy makes a lot of sense.

I actually don't mind the Ibushi/White thing after watching it develop. White constantly having Ibushi's number gave Kota a great mountain to climb. Helps they're two of the more likeable/hateable characters over period of watching.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

G1's not much different than the CC which came first, except they added on the stip of the winner getting the title shot at the Dome which didn't happen until the the BR era really kicked off and was undoubtedly a good decision to build interest in the winner. That said I thought the briefcase immediately was amateur hour in being a ripoff of the MITB concept. I think the White/Ibushi move on paper was solid thinking in that beating Jay would get Ibushi moreover. For a lot of reasons, it didn't happen that way and got Ibushi's reign off on the wrong foot. Ibushi was totally right in that interview he did, capping things off by beating Naito would have meant a ton more than beating Jay even if the fans were more split. If it led to them getting rid of the briefcase forever, I'd still consider it a net positive however. In general I hope they retain the scheduling as having G1 later in the year allows you to seal in the WK main event right away without the need to pad it out with meaningless title matches and the briefcase and all this crap.

I think they're telling a pretty clean cut story with Okada at least this year. I'll never be a big fan of his at all but from a storytelling perspective they're set up for his win to be a truly big deal and one even I can pretty much approve of. Putting Shingo over him when he did was one of Gedo's best booking decisions IMO as it allows for a natural arc for Okada for once, elevated Shingo, stretched out the eventual Okada title win to the Dome and gave a bit of freshness to a dreadfully stale company in a horribly down period where it seems like the company is falling apart at the seams. I bet there's going to be heavy motivation for these guys to put on a great tournament too. This Dome show is built like a sack of shit but I think the G1 could be one of the best in years.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

NJPW US show "Resurgence" on Aug 14 has two title matches on it that may be worth keeping an eye on.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Lance Archer for the IWGP US title. Jay White vs David Finlay for the NEVER Openweight title.

Tanahashi win could open the door to AEW stuff and White vs Finlay has some history to it.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread Information