Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: NJPW General Discussion Thread

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: NJPW General Discussion Thread

Who knows what their restrictions will be like by then but they probably saved some money last year and can splurge a bit more throughout this period. I don't know. The AEW partnership may definitely come into play. Maybe an event to lead into the olympics?

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Well with the US title basically not being a thing anymore, this isn't really surprising.

The NJPW USA Cup participants are: Brody King, Chris Dickinson, Clark Connors, Fred Rosser, Hikuleo, Lio Rush, Ren Narita, and “Filthy” Tom Lawlor. With the first round matches happening next week on Strong.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Tank you for your support of New Japan Pro-Wrestling.

On Friday May 7, the Japanese government announced an extension to the state of emergency currently in place in Tokyo and other prefectures. In light of this announcement, as well as current COVID-19 infection status, and in order to prevent any potential further spread of the virus, New Japan Pro-Wrestling has arrived at the decision to postpone the Wrestle Grand Slam events in Yokohama Stadium and the Tokyo Dome previously scheduled for May 15 and 29 respectively.

NJPW deeply apologizes to all fans looking forward to these events for the inconvenience and disappointment caused.

New dates for both events are currently being finalized. More information will follow as soon as it becomes available.

All tickets for both events will be valid. Please retain your ticket. Any ticket holder who cannot attend at the rescheduled dates will be eligible for a refund.

At present, we ask for your understanding and patience until rescheduled dates are confirmed. Keep checking back on njpw1972.com for further information on Wrestle Grand Slam as well as other events on the NJPW schedule going forward.
    Understandable decision with COVID cases rising in Japan, the state of emergency, etc. I'm glad it'll e postponed th. It'll give New Japan more time to liven up their shows again to make these shows better.

Urgent exit required.

Status

7 positive cases? Oh damn. Good decision to make though.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Jobber

Status
      Country                    Canada

Is the Covid situation causing Strong not to be uploaded to NJPW World in a timely manner? I don't remember it taking a couple days for Strong to be uploaded. I know it was messing up the schedule for the big shows.

Jobber

Status

Strong finally got posted. I feel like NJPW can't figure out what they want to do with Karl Fredericks. I swear he's had like 3 different personality changes since graduating from the Dojo. It's weird but Team Filthy looks so much more badass in Strong than they do MLW. I love Tom Lawlor. I'll be glad when the Covid situation clears up and we can get some of these guys over into the actual company, and get some more of the Japanese guys over onto Strong once in awhile. I want to see Brody King do some damage on the main show.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Very unfortunate for Ospreay and New Japan. Its been a rotten few months for them with the Dome shows being on and off and now this.

Jobber

Status

That sucks! I know people weren't high on him for things outside of the ring but I try to take that out of it when I watch wrestling. Will Ospreay as a wrestler is always a sight to see in the ring but he also has a tendency to do stupid shit in the ring that he doesn't really need to do. I know that's the nature of the beast when it comes to wrestling but this really hurts NJPW at the moment as they were building this huge. I feel like they're going to put it back on Naito though they could always go the Okada route. While I know they've moved him kind of away from the title, I wouldn't even be mad to see Tana get another run.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Time to go back to the EVIL drawing board as champion.

Jobber

Status

I'm not sure why it didn't cross my mind before but put the title back on Switchblade! Though I don't feel like they have any confidence in him or EVIL as champion, it would be better than the usual Okada/Naito/Tana. I'm not sure how much Naito has left to give honestly.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Jay has the NEVER Title though, I don't think they're crazy enough to go back to a double title situation after how much Ibushi bombed.

Naito was my first thought admittedly, without a Dome show as a backdrop they may want to wait on Okada.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Ibushi will get the belt back eventually I have to imagine.

Just make Ibushi vs Okada for the belt and Ibushi can go over.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Jobber

Status

I actually forgot that Jay had the NEVER title actually. I forgot to watch Wrestling Dontaku though I had read the results. I agree with you though, I don't see them doing the double champion thing. I'm not so sure Ibushi bombed though as much as they really didn't need to have both the IC and IWGP titles, especially with the US Title as well. Though I probably would have gotten rid of the US Title before the IC Title.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Worst possible injury to New Japan. the empire was the only thing in the company with any buzz, and now they’ve lost the main player in that stable.

Bleak times.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Draevyn View Post
    I actually forgot that Jay had the NEVER title actually. I forgot to watch Wrestling Dontaku though I had read the results. I agree with you though, I don't see them doing the double champion thing. I'm not so sure Ibushi bombed though as much as they really didn't need to have both the IC and IWGP titles, especially with the US Title as well. Though I probably would have gotten rid of the US Title before the IC Title.
    It's not so much him that bombed, you're right or the IC title but getting rid of the lineage of the title that made his reign bomb and damage him greatly. Ibushi himself in his interview on the website also blamed Jay White not being over enough to be a significant enough win to cement himself as champion and wish he had beaten Naito on the 5th instead of the 4th. (I don't agree with this personally as the fans were able to rally behind Ibushi by facing such an unover challenger rather than be split with Naito, the hatred for Ibushi started once the titles getting unified and they announced a new title was set in stone)

I think it's far too early to go back to Ibushi in his current state. The Japanese fans blame him for the title stuff and weren't kind to him, similar to KENTA when he debuted in NJPW. It will take some time but he isn't the answer right now.

Jobber

Status

There has been so many factors in this whole thing that it's hard to pinpoint any one thing. The change from Meij to Ohbari, covid happening, the injuries and honestly Gedo's booking (and over reliance on western gimmicks like that stupid ass KOPW Championship --Which I do know was apparently Okada's idea but I wonder if his idea was truly what it actually became). I feel like right now they have a hard time figuring out exactly who they want to carry them forward and just when you think they've settled on someone, they get cold feet and pull the rug out from under them. They need to give put someone in that position and give them a solid time as champion to build them rather than basically screwing them over from the beginning.

I think that was the plan for Ospreay which is what makes his injury even more devastating.

Urgent exit required.

Status

They dont know who can carry them forward because they have neglected to focus on the post Okada generation. There's no dojo graduate with hype or showing enough promise to take over him.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

They tried with EVIL & Jay. It just was the wrong people pushed entirely the wrong way to be able to be legit pillars.

Urgent exit required.

Status

EVIL and White were like the only options they had to push. And at that, they were never fully in with EVIL imo. They definitely tried real hard to get EVIL into a good position with the pandemic booking but I think they just used him in the positions they did because there was no one else. They aint pushing non dojo graduates over them.

Reckon jury is still out on White but he has way higher ceiling than EVIL and can play a part imo.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

EVIL was a midcarder even below his own tag team partner for like 3 years. He wouldn't have been in the top 10 pushed stars at the time. If he was going to be there they should have built him up much better and the gimmick was just complete death. They're clearly backing away and it's good that they did because he was significantly hurt.

White I think is a terrible wrestler with his dancing offense, but he at least has been consistently pushed and a project for a long time, regardless of if it's taken or not. Also you're right that the Dojo mentality played a big part but that doesn't mean they're the right pieces. Put good guys in position to succeed and they will.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread Information