Thread: NXT TakeOver: R-Evolution Review

NXT Takeover Special NXT TakeOver: R-Evolution Review

NXT TakeOver: R-Evolution
    December 11, 2014

Kevin Owens vs CJ Parker
    Kevin Steen's WWE debut. That jolly hardcore looking referee is back too. Even though Parker sucks, he's an ideal person to debut Owens against because who wouldn't want to see Owens kick Parker's ass? The match is really short, but Parker gets in a couple of spots to keep it from being a squash. It's all about Owens though as he gets in most of his big moves including a dive to the outside, his wacky over the knee neckbreaker and cannon ball in the corner. Owens wins with a pop-up power bomb. The best part of the entire match is that in literally Steen's WWE debut, he's already bleeding! A very effective debut for the former Mr. Wrestling. ** 1/4

Lucha Dragons (c) vs The Vaudevillains - NXT Tag Titles
    First time seeing the Vaudevillains and they easily have one of the most unique entrances I've ever seen in wrestling. I dig it. What I didn't dig was the fact that Sin Cara was in the ring for the majority of the match. Sin Cara just isn't good and he helped create yet another uneventful NXT Tag Title match on these two hour NXT specials. The NXT tag division desperately needs some of the care and attention that the other two NXT titles receive. The Vaudevillains remind me of Enzo and Lefort in that they're great personalities, but they didn't do anything for me when it comes to the actual action. Sill, Kalisto is great, it's just a shame he's not being able to full showcase his talent on these TakeOvers. The ending is set-up when the Dragons both dived over the top rope, but they only hit one of the Vaudevillains as the one they hit had pushed his partner out of harm's way. The commentary completely ignores this important moment. It's a very smart move by the Vaudevillains as it kept one of them okay and it really should have led to the Vaudevillains winning because they just outsmarted the Lucha Dragons. Instead, Kalisto ends up pinning the Vaudevillain that they didn't hit with his Salida del Sol finisher. Ultimately, I don't know what was the point of that spot since the commentators ignored it and the Lucha Dragons still won. I'll give it up to the fans though, they not only noticed the spot, but they started a "Chivalry" chant. These NXT fans are sorta awesome. **

Baron Corbin vs Tye Dillinger
    The fans begin counting as the match begins. Corbin quickly destroys Dillinger before pinning him with Wade Barrett's theme song around forty seconds. The match isn't what matters though. What does is that Bull Dempsey was shown watching the match from the crowd. After the match, there's a big stare down between Corbin and Dempsey, seemingly to set up a new program for both men. SQUASH.

The Ascension vs Hideo Itami and Finn Balor
    Devitt's entrance is flat out amazing. I especially like that even the Ascension looked a little freaked out by it. For an Ascension match, this was pretty great. Not that that's saying much since the Ascension hasn't impressed me at all. For a KENTA and Devitt match, it's not as good as you would have expected. Still, there's a long Itami face-in-peril sequence, a hot tag to Balor and a build in the excitement in the final few minutes. I did find the commentary for this match to be pretty annoying though. I believe it was Corey Graves who tried to explain Balor's look by bringing up how inside of every man, there's a recess and a door and...I have no idea where he's going with this. FFS, it's Venom makeup. Want to know the backstory for why Balor wears it? He's a fan of Spiderman and he thinks the look is cool. That's it. None of this deep mental revelation that Graves tried to pull out of his ass. Even though I would find the crowd annoying later on due to their insistence at chanting "This is Awesome" way too much, they did make me love them briefly in this match. One fool tried to show how smart he was by starting a chant for "KENTA". The NXT boos the fan and then creates a bigger "Itami" chant. Finish sees dual double stomps by the faces to score the win over the Ascension. *** 1/4

Charlotte (c) vs Sasha Banks - NXT Women's Title
    This is the first time I've seen Sasha since she found a gimmick. Her entrance seems extremely rehearsed to the extent that I can't believe for a second that it's for real and she's not just playing a gimmick. In comparison, whenever someone like Ric Flair would strut or taunt, it came off so natural that you can believe he did that in his private. It's a small gripe I have with Sasha because once the match began, she impressed me a lot. In the early going, she got in some great Ric Flair-like taunts to get under Charlotte's skin. The longer the match went, the better Sasha's spots got as well. She busted out a suicide dive and a wickedly cool move where she used her legs to send Charlotte face first into the middle turnbuckle pad as a counter. I'm not a fan of Charlotte's Natural Selection finisher, but Charlotte busting it out as a top rope version suddenly made the move look so much better. Again, like in all of these NXT shows, it impresses me a lot that the WWE has convinced the fans to actually care about this women's division. Not only does the title/matches matter to the NXT fans, but it's one of the most important aspects of the show. This is the only time in WWE history that a women's division has mattered like this. Good match, but not quite as good as Paige/Emma or Charlotte/Bayley. I imagine Paige vs Sasha Banks could be a hell of a match. ***

Adrian Neville (c) vs Sami Zayn - NXT Title
    If Zayn loses, he'll leave NXT forever. This is maybe the only time in the past twenty years in WWE history where a loser leaves town match is actually believable. With Zayn being in NXT for a year and a half at this point, it's completely believable that Zayn would simply lose this match and then make his debut on the main roster. It's nice to actually care about a stipulation in the WWE. Unfortunately, I found the match to be disappointing. I was expecting yet another four star-ish match from Zayn, but I wouldn't say it ever came close to that. With the exception of the two ref bumps, the actual action never did anything for me. When there are the two ref bumps, things suddenly get amazing though. During the first ref bump, Zayn makes the mistake of checking on the ref, allowing Neville to recover and get in a nearfall on Zayn. When the ref goes down again, Neville continues his slight heelish attitude by grabbing the NXT Title and trying to hit Zayn. Zayn avoids the shot and with the ref still down, grabs the title, intending to use the belt on Neville. It's a fantastic story because Zayn's entire character is a guy who is too nice for his own good. He has been choking in big matches because he's not as ruthless as his opponents. If Zayn uses the title to hit Neville, not only will the referee likely not see it, but it will probably give Zayn the win, the title and he can remain on NXT. After all, is it really such a bad thing to cheat when Neville has been screwing Zayn over a lot? Just like Roddy Piper at Wrestlemania 8, Zayn realizes that he just can't cheat. For the second time in the match, Zayn being the nice guy nearly costs him the match, but again, Zayn kicked out of a roll up. Zayn then delivers an Exploder into the corner and finishes Neville off with the Helluva Kick. One three count later and Zayn FINALLY wins the big one and does so by remaining the good guy he always was. For once, the nice guy does finish first. The story that ruled the final few minutes was fantastic, but the action leading up to it wasn't as enjoyable as I would have imagined it would be. One of the main matches from 2014 that everyone should see. *** 1/4

After the match, a bunch of NXT wrestlers come out to celebrate with Zayn. Kevin Owens is the first to reach the ring and the director nearly misses the shot of the hug because at that moment, they cut back to the entrance way to show more guys coming out. Like...why would you ever take the camera off of them? The nice moment continues with some NXT guys holding Zayn up on their shoulders. There's a great tease of Neville fully turning heel when he kicks away Zayn's offer of a handshake, but Neville walks away from the dark side by hugging Zayn instead. It's a great celebration and after Zayn failing in big matches time after time, it ends up being one of the best moments of the year.

NXT Takeover: R-Evolution wraps up with the commentators saying bye, all of the wrestlers minus Owens and Zayn have left ringside, the WWE title screen popping up on the screen and in the final seconds of the program, Owens shoves Zayn flat on the entrance ramp. Owens then follows it up with a power bomb on the apron! With that, we go off of the air before anything else can happen.

Overall
    While R-Evolution may be the first Takeover special without any great matches, there's plenty to enjoy here. More than anything, this show succeeds in building up excitement for NXT as we head into 2015. One night in and Kevin Owens is already a major player. Not only did Owens have a good first match, but he continued his favorite activity in wrestling - humiliating and beating the fuck out of Sami Zayn. Zayn's NXT Title win came at a good time. Having him lose all of those big matches made his title win feel all that more important, but it's not something you would have wanted to keep happening without killing Zayn's potential. Fellow newcomers, Finn Balor and Hideo Itami both had great performances on this show to make it convincing that they're going to do some great things in further helping NXT's overall quality. The NXT Women's division continues to shine like the WWE Women's Title and Diva's Title never managed to do. With Sasha Banks' talent, whenever she gets promoted to the main roster, the Diva's division should be greatly helped. Much like Enzo and Cass, The Vaudevillains may not be anything special in terms of workrate, but they're a super fun act that stands out. If you can't be good in the ring, be good as a personality. The most consistent of all of the 2014 NXT two hour specials.
    Last edited by Jim; 05-22-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: NXT TakeOver: R-Evolution Review

I honestly thought Zayn vs Neville was a great match

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    While R-Evolution may be the first Takeover special without any great matches

Man we are on totally different planets on the final hour of this show, up to this point I thought it was the best womens match from these specials and the main event is the greatest match ever from takeover, it was MOTYC level for me. Can't believe you think this is Neville's weakest title defence from these shows. The only thing I can put it down to is that you're watching these shows long after the event has happened and you weren't a weekly watcher of the show so you weren't so invested in the journey these two had been on, I think it was the best long term storytelling from the WWE I've seen in ages. For example, you mention in the post match that Neville and Zayn have this awkward staredown and when Zayn offers the handshake, Neville kicks his hand away before pulling him in for a hug. Well 12 months earlier these two had a #1 contenders match on a regular episode of NXT where Neville on that occasion won, Neville offered Zayn the handshake after the match, Zayn kicked his hand away and pulled him in for a hug, so R-Evolution was drawing off things that happened a year previous, I really dug little things like that which rewarded the fans for remembering the past. Live this match was bananas, after following the story for a year of 'Sami can't win the big ones', him actually winning the big one was just as satisfying as Daniel Bryan winning the title at Wrestlemania earlier in the year.

Long story short, you're literally the first person I've seen that doesn't rate the match highly. You've given it the same rating as The Ascensions/Balor Itami match for crying out loud. You suck, the match was great.

One thing I do agree with you on is the tag teams. Let me tell you, the NXT title matches do not improve with quality even after The Ascension have gone, they're always a disappointment in comparison to the other two titles on the show. That's why I was desperate for the WWE to sign an indy tag team like The Briscoes just to raise the game in that division.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Urgent exit required.

Status

the story told in the match is fucking EXCELLENT and is probably the most emotionally invested I have been in a WWE match in a long time. It's pretty insane how much I REALLY wanted Sami to win too.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Didn't have any great matches? Kind of enjoyed Zayn/Neville? That was one of the three match of the year candidates that NXT produced, imo. I thought the storytelling was wonderful throughout.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    For example, you mention in the post match that Neville and Zayn have this awkward staredown and when Zayn offers the handshake, Neville kicks his hand away before pulling him in for a hug. Well 12 months earlier these two had a #1 contenders match on a regular episode of NXT where Neville on that occasion won, Neville offered Zayn the handshake after the match, Zayn kicked his hand away and pulled him in for a hug, so R-Evolution was drawing off things that happened a year previous, I really dug little things like that which rewarded the fans for remembering the past.
    Which is certainly a nice touch. The problem is I don't dislike the kicked away handshake/hug. It's a great little moment to complete the Neville/Zayn program, to bring Neville away from the heelish side, and my favorite part of it is that it luls you into a false sense of security. It's like a jump scene in a horror movie. The music is building up and you're expecting something to attack you, but Neville hugs Zayn/a harmless cat jumps out at you. It made the Owens attack all the better since no one should have expected an attack after the hug. So if there's even more significance to that hug like you said, great.

Like I said though, adding more significance to that post-match angle doesn't cause me to enjoy the match anymore. The angle stuff was already great to me. It's everything else that came before it that didn't do a whole lot for me. It's still certainly a good match though.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Lucha Dragons (c) vs The Vaudevillains - NXT Tag Titles
    First time seeing the Vaudevillains and they easily have one of the most unique entrances I've ever seen in wrestling. I dig it. What I didn't dig was the fact that Sin Cara was in the ring for the majority of the match. Sin Cara just isn't good and he helped create yet another uneventful NXT Tag Title match on these two hour NXT specials. The NXT tag division desperately needs some of the care and attention that the other two NXT titles receive. The Vaudevillains remind me of Enzo and Lefort in that they're great personalities, but they didn't do anything for me when it comes to the actual action. Sill, Kalisto is great, it's just a shame he's not being able to full showcase his talent on these TakeOvers. The ending is set-up when the Dragons both dived over the top rope, but they only hit one of the Vaudevillains as the one they hit had pushed his partner out of harm's way. The commentary completely ignores this important moment. It's a very smart move by the Vaudevillains as it kept one of them okay and it really should have led to the Vaudevillains winning because they just outsmarted the Lucha Dragons. Instead, Kalisto ends up pinning the Vaudevillain that they didn't hit with his Salida del Sol finisher. Ultimately, I don't know what was the point of that spot since the commentators ignored it and the Lucha Dragons still won. I'll give it up to the fans though, they not only noticed the spot, but they started a "Chivalry" chant. These NXT fans are sorta awesome. **
    FYI, Kalisto pinning the wrong Vaudevillain turned into a notable plot point as the Vaudevillains used this to successfully argue for another title shot a few weeks later. Which didn't go well, and could've been pointed out better, but ehhh.

That and I echo the sentiments of the other lads - Zayn/Neville was far better than you're rating it as. Then again, I suppose as someone who doesn't watch NXT religiously, the little bits of the story that improved the match tenfold would've been lost, but y'know, different strokes for different folks and all.

Spoiler:

I really don't think watching NXT on a regular basis to pick up on all of the small details would have helped improve the match for me. I fully admit the story is fantastic and one of the best of the year.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I really don't think watching NXT on a regular basis to pick up on all of the small details would have helped improve the match for me. I fully admit the story is fantastic and one of the best of the year.
    I think it wouldve. Zayns promos made that match emotional and probably helped it in terms of ratings. Wrasslin is more than just the moves. The overall storyline was perfectly wrapped up by this match. But yknow to each their own, slap nuts.

BROTHER

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    I think it wouldve. Zayns promos made that match emotional and probably helped it in terms of ratings. Wrasslin is more than just the moves. The overall storyline was perfectly wrapped up by this match. But yknow to each their own, slap nuts.

BROTHER
    You're right. Emotion does matter and wrestling isn't just about the moves. But again, I did love the emotion of the match. You're trying to say adding more emotion to the match would have made me like it more when the emotion was never my problem with the bout.

The emotion meter was already filled completely. Adding any more won't help or hinder my enjoyment.

Thread Information