Page 123 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124 LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 2465

Thread: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

  1. #2441
    WAKE UP

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    34,774
    Rep Power
    2281042

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    I did it. I caved and watched Akiyama vs Dino. I can't make up my mind if it was better than I was expecting or terrible. Both? I guess it was as good as is possibly could have been considering you have a 30 minute Dino title match with Akiyama selling his silly offence and Dino literally getting fully naked in it.

    Japanese wrestling in 2021 really is a barren wasteland.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

    WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

  2. #2442
    Mr. Victory Through Guts

    Zero's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Dark Side of a Broken Heart
    Posts
    12,352
    Rep Power
    2237391
      Country                    China

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    It was terrible and nobody should watch it.

    I highly enjoyed Fujita vs. Sugiura from the last NOAH show. Who else but Sugiura when as soon as Fujita started his staring bullshit Sugiura refused to play along and proceeded to just beat the shit out of that bald bastard.

    The Kaito tag proceeding it was also good, but the main course was Sugiura doing his thing.

  3. #2443
    WAKE UP

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    34,774
    Rep Power
    2281042

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    I'm not sure I've seen a full Fujita match bell to bell since his comeback, but everything I've bothered to watch has been frankly terrible. He made his return to pro wrestling 10 years too late. Hell, looking at his record after leaving New Japan I'd say he never should have left in the first place.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

    WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

  4. #2444
    Mr. Victory Through Guts

    Zero's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Dark Side of a Broken Heart
    Posts
    12,352
    Rep Power
    2237391
      Country                    China

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    Oh yeah he sucks which makes Sugiura forcing him to sell and him leaving on a stretcher more worthwhile IMO.

  5. #2445
    Jobber

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    46269

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    I think Yoshinari Ogawa is one of the best Japanese workers of all time.

  6. #2446
    WAKE UP

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    34,774
    Rep Power
    2281042

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonE View Post
    I think Yoshinari Ogawa is one of the best Japanese workers of all time.
    That's a hot take Brandon. What's your thinking here?

    I mean I rated him but where does he really stand? Top 10? Not a chance. Top 20? Unlikely. I'd have him Top 50 for sure, but I couldn't see him being near that top tier. How many great singles matches does he have? The Kobashi match and then...? How many times has he carried someone beneath him to something really worthwhile? A few names I'd have above him without much thought - Baba, Ishii, Fuchi, Tamura, Tenzan, Choshu, Hase, Nakamura, Kanemoto, and none of them would be guys I'd consider a Top 10.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

    WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

  7. #2447
    Jobber

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    46269

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    That's a hot take Brandon. What's your thinking here?

    I mean I rated him but where does he really stand? Top 10? Not a chance. Top 20? Unlikely. I'd have him Top 50 for sure, but I couldn't see him being near that top tier. How many great singles matches does he have? The Kobashi match and then...? How many times has he carried someone beneath him to something really worthwhile? A few names I'd have above him without much thought - Baba, Ishii, Fuchi, Tamura, Tenzan, Choshu, Hase, Nakamura, Kanemoto, and none of them would be guys I'd consider a Top 10.
    The fact that he's been around for a long time and can still go today. As for Ogawa singles, the GHC title match with Takayama was awesome and he had a great AJPW Junior Title match with Masahito Kakihara in 1999 as well.

  8. #2448
    WAKE UP

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    34,774
    Rep Power
    2281042

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    The Takayama match was pretty good. Not sure I'd call it GREAT but it was a strong Ogawa showing from memory. To be honest I don't think I've even seen an Ogawa match from the last 10 years.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

    WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

  9. #2449
    Mr. Victory Through Guts

    Zero's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Dark Side of a Broken Heart
    Posts
    12,352
    Rep Power
    2237391
      Country                    China

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    It's hard to forgive what a monumentally dumb decision his GHC win over Akiyama was but as a worker yeah Ogawa's pretty great. I don't know about all time great but I can always get down with watching some ratboy, even today he works well with pretty much everyone despite being with a complete bum as a tag partner.

  10. #2450
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,691
    Rep Power
    1349617

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    Translation...... Aliens are coming
    I am the Foundation

    https://twitter.com/TheJonGresham

  11. #2451

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    For two guys that I had never even heard of a week ago, I really dug the Champion Carnival finals between Jake Lee and Kento Miyahara. Lee had some good kicks and I really dug his repeated knees to the chest ala Danielson's MMA elbows, but this match was the Miyahara show. All of his selling of the midsection was great. At points, he was practically dry heaving from all of the strikes to the gut. From this match, and this match alone, Miyahara came across as one of the best sellers going today. Even though Lee dominated the match, Miyahara had some good fire to add excitement whenever he'd suddenly strike with some offensive move or surprise Lee with a nearfall. A good story built around the straight jacket German Suplex and Lee's frantic effort in trying to avoid being hit with the move to the point that he had to bite the top rope to force the break. The one downside to the match was the referee's incredibly slow count. Any time there was a nearfall, the drama quickly was dashed because you'd have that old fart of a referee taking forever to count. Lee may have won the tournament, and looked good in the match, but this match made me want to see more of Miyahara. *** 3/4

  12. #2452
    Jobber
    Draevyn's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    22705
      Country                    Canada

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    Does anyone watch DRAGONGATE? I've started watching it a few times over the last several years, most recently in the middle of summer last year but I always seem to fall away from it. Decided to pick it back up with the 5/16 show but I have no idea what is going on currently. Last I watched R.E.D was heading for a break up and Eita was getting a massive push. I see Shun Skywalker and U-T are back.

  13. #2453
    Mr. Victory Through Guts

    Zero's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Dark Side of a Broken Heart
    Posts
    12,352
    Rep Power
    2237391
      Country                    China

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    Shun's actually the top champion. He won the title on his first match from excursion.

    I like the direction DG is in much better once all the old guard like CIMA/Shingo/etc. left because they brought in people like KAI & Okuda who aren't just great workers in their own right but much different than typical DG style (and even someone like KAZMA who isn't as great but adds something by also being different.) and for the first time feels like they have a more complete roster than just DG guys (though they still have most of those too).

    Eita is probably on his way to getting kicked out of RED, Ishida will probably be the new leader.
    Yoshino is retiring at Kobe World.
    YAMATO/KAI have been feuding forever.
    SBKento is set up to be one of, if not the next top star and will probably be pushed considerably over the next 2 years.
    Big R Shimizu is a joke character now.
    Shun leads Masquerade, a new faction. But his title reign has been shaky.

  14. #2454
    Jobber
    Draevyn's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    22705
      Country                    Canada

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Shun's actually the top champion. He won the title on his first match from excursion.

    I like the direction DG is in much better once all the old guard like CIMA/Shingo/etc. left because they brought in people like KAI & Okuda who aren't just great workers in their own right but much different than typical DG style (and even someone like KAZMA who isn't as great but adds something by also being different.) and for the first time feels like they have a more complete roster than just DG guys (though they still have most of those too).

    Eita is probably on his way to getting kicked out of RED, Ishida will probably be the new leader.
    Yoshino is retiring at Kobe World.
    YAMATO/KAI have been feuding forever.
    SBKento is set up to be one of, if not the next top star and will probably be pushed considerably over the next 2 years.
    Big R Shimizu is a joke character now.
    Shun leads Masquerade, a new faction. But his title reign has been shaky.
    I see Big R is doing an Ultimo Dragon tribute gimmick which looks like it could be fun. I'm trying to decide if I keep up with that or I keep up with NOAH. I already watch NJPW and AEW so I don't have a whole lot of room for more wrestling. NOAH seems to be the one that's more bang for my buck since I can sign up to Wrestle Universe and check in on several other promotions if I so choose. I started watching the latest NOAH show that's up and it seemed fairly fun.

  15. #2455
    Mr. Victory Through Guts

    Zero's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Dark Side of a Broken Heart
    Posts
    12,352
    Rep Power
    2237391
      Country                    China

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Draevyn View Post
    I see Big R is doing an Ultimo Dragon tribute gimmick which looks like it could be fun. I'm trying to decide if I keep up with that or I keep up with NOAH. I already watch NJPW and AEW so I don't have a whole lot of room for more wrestling. NOAH seems to be the one that's more bang for my buck since I can sign up to Wrestle Universe and check in on several other promotions if I so choose. I started watching the latest NOAH show that's up and it seemed fairly fun.
    That's pretty much my advice. I always say that there's more variety with the CyberFight because you get NOAH which is pretty good although makes crazy decisions too much, DDT which isn't for most people but there's 4-5 guys that will deliver great wrestling, and TJPW an up and coming Joshi company.

    I honestly don't understand why DG makes their service so expensive but there's mostly good wrestling and booking.

  16. #2456
    Jobber
    Draevyn's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    22705
      Country                    Canada

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    That's pretty much my advice. I always say that there's more variety with the CyberFight because you get NOAH which is pretty good although makes crazy decisions too much, DDT which isn't for most people but there's 4-5 guys that will deliver great wrestling, and TJPW an up and coming Joshi company.

    I honestly don't understand why DG makes their service so expensive but there's mostly good wrestling and booking.
    Like Keiji Mutoh being the GHC Heavyweight Champion? To be fair I haven't watched any of his title matches but I saw him a few years ago and he was held together by prayer at that point so I can't imagine it being any different now, except probably even worse which is sad. I love Muta/Mutoh but I'd like him to get out before the choice is made for him.

    I also looked at AJPW but their website is designed like NJPW's but it's just not as user friendly for someone who doesn't speak Japanese. I had a hard time navigating it and got frustrated. I hate to say I can acquire those shows by other methods because I'd like to pay for what I watch if possible but the website is just to frustrating for me to even bother.

  17. #2457
    Urgent exit required.
    Shake Republic's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    22,926
    Rep Power
    3274889
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    Probably going to check out today's CyberFight Festival - has anyone seen it? good/bad? Can't imagine people (NOAH fans) will have liked the idea of Saku/Sugi vs SSM/Dino.

    Can't believe they gave Mutoh the belt just to drop it to fucking Marufuji though. Can maybe understand he's one of the only ones with enough fan cred (debatable) to take the belt from him though. Looking forward to Kongo vs DDT (mainly Kenou vs Takagi) as well as the Takeshita tag match.


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  18. #2458
    WAKE UP

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    34,774
    Rep Power
    2281042

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    Hey, Marufuji is up and coming
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

    WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

  19. #2459
    Vodka Drinking Admin

    VlEdimir Putin's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    41,395
    Rep Power
    6637803
      Country                    England

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    I mean it's am improvement from a shit sandwich, to a sandwich with no filling whatsoever, but any possible positive that could be retrieved from Mutoh winning the belt has gone. He beat Kiyomiya twice lmao. Gotta love how Mutoh's reign he teased the moonsault all the time, then he finally hit it in the match he lost the title to Marufuji's flashy kicks.

    I'll check out HARASHIMA Vs Akiyama.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

    Ed's Favourite Threads

    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

    Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

  20. #2460
    Mr. Victory Through Guts

    Zero's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Dark Side of a Broken Heart
    Posts
    12,352
    Rep Power
    2237391
      Country                    China

    Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

    Muto is and was a complete joke. I don't think beating him would have meant anything in this era anyway, and Maru getting a win around Misawa's anniversary is a nice payoff and when he retired they can say he beat Muto which is a nice notch on his belt for his retirement show. If it hadn't have ended Go's reign and went over Kiyomiya twice I actually would have probably been kind of on board with this as a publicity stunt, but the way they're booking Kaito is nuts in general. It sucks.

    The two best matches were clearly the Takeshita/Ueno vs. Kaito/Inamura tag and the TJPW title match. I personally thought Akiyama vs. HARASHIMA wasn't as good as I had hoped. It was still good but Takeshita vs. those guys has had MOTY level matches in each of the last two years. Akiyama's probably lost all motivation to actually wrestle good at this point after that Dino match (which again, he is still good) and somewhere Tanahashi is laughing about HARASHIMA not being major league. (He's also good, but this wasn't great imo)

Page 123 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •