Page 358 of 358 FirstFirst ... 258308348356357358
Results 7,141 to 7,147 of 7147

Thread: Transfer Talk Thread

Status

Re: Transfer Talk Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Nottingham Forest spending £44.5m on Morgan Gibbs’s White is one big middle finger up to FFP. Ludicrous stuff.
    2nd highest spend so far this summer behind only Chelsea.

That said, I saw some reports that the 44m is the max and includes bonuses to be paid based on Premier League survival. Actual cost is more like 20-25m. Which is eminently more reasonable for a player like MGW.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Varane missed most of last season so don't think it can be judged that he hasn't had the desired effect. If he gets a run of games we would soon see that he's still one of the best in the world. If he doesn't start the next game however then there's something seriously wrong.

Apparently Real are open to selling Casemiro for £60m. He's 30 so that's a good deal for them as they have plenty of options in midfield. He would likely command a big wage so that's the major downside. But, he would b a huge upgrade on our current DM options and Brazilian midfielders tend to be able to play at a high level well into their mid 30's so could work out ok for us.

Biggest concern for me os that United have told James Garner that he's free to leave. There's Premier League clubs queuing up to sign him so it won't be an issue for us getting the £14m price tag we have set. Concerning that were willing to let go one of our most promising young midfielders so cheaply however. Especially when Wolves are selling one of their promising players for well over twice that.

Status

He really didn't miss most of it, though. Hindsight might make it feel that way, but he played in 22 Premier League matches, all but 2 of which were starts where he played the full 90. Another 5 in the Champions League and two FA Cup matches, so 29 competitive matches in total. The media and fans seem to have run with the "barely played" narrative but in reality... nearly 30 competitive matches is a reasonable amount to judge upon.

Casemiro might be a safer buy, in the sense that he didn't have the mediocre couple of seasons leading up to his Real Madrid departure like Varane did. Madrid were okay with Varane leaving when he did, which is a bit telling, but don't seem as eager for Casemiro to leave. They've left it up to the player and it doesn't sound like they are going to hold out for 80m or anything. Rumors keep saying United will double his wage (although Romano say its not quite that). He's apparently on around 10m at Madrid, so doubling it would put him on somewhere near 20m, or about 400K per week. Which would put him behind just Ronaldo on the United wage scale.

I feel like Casmiro would be a smart buy (although high-mileage 30 year old players will always give me a bit of pause) because he would reasonably solve the defensive need in United's midfield. But I'm not sure he solves the issues with moving the ball. He's tidy and reliable in possession and keeps the ball moving, but he doesn't dribble a lot and he's not a notably technical passer who is going to progress the ball in incisive ways. He'll be better than "everything sideways or backwards" Fred, but.... there still needs to be someone moving the ball from the backline into the attacking lines. The Ericksen experiment didn't look promising. A Frenkie de Jong type player would still kinda be needed to fully transform the team into what Ten Hag seems to want.

In other fun news, Chelsea still seem to be pursing Aubamayeng.

And another BIG step forward in an absolute car crash of a career, Deli Ali is off to Turkey.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Legend has it you’re only two feet away from a new Nottingham Forest signing.

Wolves jumping even further into Mendes’ bed getting rid of captain Coady and the only good academy player in a decade Gibbs-White to sign more Portuguese players on his books. It’s so transparent what’s going on there.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Status

Still bullish on them staying up, Ed?

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Comeback King

Status
      Country                    England

Reading a lot that United want Casemiro to start against Liverpool on Monday which will make the next 24 hours massive if they want him registered in time. He would be a superb signing but once again I am asking why was this not done six weeks ago. When you look at teams like City and Liverpool they do their business so early that they are ready and firing for the opening day. We're already two games and two defeats in. The club is just run so badly it is depressing.
    WWE: The New Vision| Former BTB Overlord | Order's Interviews

BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    SIX BTBOTM AWARDS

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

So it's pretty much a done deal now, Casemiro is coming in. Looking past the high wages he will be on, I think this is a great signing. Yes, he's the wrong side of 30, and giving him a 4 year contract (with option for another year on top) is a bit of a risk, but he strikes me as the type of player who will be able to maintain a high level well into his 30's. He's proper defensive midfielder so we can finally be rid of the McFred combo in the centre of the park.
    Question will be; how will we line up with him in the side? Do you drop Fred or McTominay with one of them playing in a more box to box role alongside Casemiro? Fred has been effective in that role when he's given license to roam and go forward. Do you leave all the deep work to Casemiro and play Fernandes and Eriksen ahead of him behind the front 3?

I absolutely wouldn't expect the signing to be completed in time for Monday's game though. Kudos if it happens but I think there's just not enough time realistically, especially given that he would need a visa sorted

It's another good signing for us, it's just frustrating that it's been left until the last minute. He won't have had a pre-season with us so he could take time to integrate into the side. I'm hoping that won't be the case given that he knows several of our players well (Ronaldo, Varane and Fred in particular).
    God knows who else we will bring in. The de Jong deal is dead in the water at this point and I don't think Antony will be coming in this window either. Cody Gakpo seems like the most realistic target that's still on our radar, but who knows. I would still like to see us go for Pulisic myself. And I'm half expecting us to get another keeper in too. Begovic has been the most recent rumour. No idea on full backs but we do desperately need a RB.
    Last edited by Tommy Thunder; Today at 01:26 PM.

Page 358 of 358 FirstFirst ... 258308348356357358

Thread Information