Page 112 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2269

Thread: Managerial Comings & Goings

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Managerial Comings & Goings

That quote from Conte is hilarious. I don't know what funds he's been promised, but I hope that he's got something coming because there's a lot of areas in that Spurs side that needs sprucing up.

I don't get peopole saying he could have had the United job. He was never in the running or considered for it. Not the type of manager we want long term (and he wouldn't have come in short term). He expressed interest in the job and apparently contacted United about coming in, but there was no interest going the other way from United.
    Last edited by Tommy Thunder; 11-29-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Internet Favorite

Status

Ralph Rangnick appointed as interim manager of Manchester United until the end of the season. He will then remain at the club for another 2 years in a consultancy role, which will include him taking part in the recruitment process of the next permanent manager.

Fantastic news. He's incredibly respected accross the board and if you have managers like Klopp and Tuchel (who Rangnick mentored) saying that this is a good appointment and that it means bad news for the rest of the league, then you know you've got the right man. I'm excited to see what he can achieve with this squad. I don't expect any player recruitment in January but I could definitley see departures. There are players in the squad who aren't up to playing the gegenpress (I'm thinking Martial as one that sticks out like a sore thumb) and this man isn't going to mess about with players who won't work hard. I'm also hoping that he will be ruthless in dropping players who aren't playing well. There's no way Maguire for example shoudl come back into the team when he's back from suspension and Shaw should also remain out of the team when he's back from his concussion. I would argue that AWB should also be dropped. There's a big quesiton mark over how Ronaldo will fit into the team under Rangnick, but I'm confident that won't be a problem. Rangnick has no loyalty to these players though so hopefully he won't have any problem dropping 'big names' if they're not performing.

Pochettino remains the #1 target for the permanent job. I think it will be easier to get him from PSG at th eend of the season as opposed to mid-season, especially if PSG fail to win the Champions League. Erik Ten Hag is the #2 choice. His Ajax contract will have a year to run at the end of the season so it should be fairly straight forward to get him too.
    I would be happy with either personally. I'm tempted to say that I'd mildly prefer Ten Hag? Only because he's a fresh face and has done incredible things at Ajax. Pochettino though fits United to a tee and has experience in the Premier League.

Status

so I have my doubts anyone here follows Russian footie much.. and I don't at all expect any United supporters to care about this. But Rangnick is leaving Lokomotiv Moscow in a pretty ugly mess.

Its been a weird situation. Loko contracted Rangnick's consulting firm to help transform the club. Loko are probably the 3rd biggest Moscow club and reasonably well run, with a league title a few years ago (2017-2018). But the league has been all Zenit St. Petersburg since and the money that was thrown around in the league a few years ago isn't there to the same extent. Moscow weren't a struggling mess - they have been consistently near the top of the table the past few seasons (two 2nd place finishes and one 3rd) but haven't done a lot in Europe (true of almost all Russian clubs).

Rangnick made some massive changes at the club, and he ended up taking a personal role(Director of Sport or something, but basically an all-powerful Director of Football role). He got rid of the manager and most of the coaches. He got rid of some talented players, and spent a big chunk of money in the summer by RPL standards (30m). The results haven't been terrible but a lot of the players have yet to really make an impact. The Loko style was basically a narrow counter-attacking side and trying to switch them to a front-foot pressing side in a short period isn't going so well.

If Rangnick was staying to honor his contract, I'm not sure the current situation would be THAT worrying as its easy to paint things as "in progress". But him leaving looks far messier. He is leaving people in key positions that are looked upon laughably in Germany, which is hardly a good sign. There is zero faith those being left to run things have the ability to continue Rangnick's work. Its not like every signing has been terrible but some look pretty questionable, especially given the cost paid. Basically, the club is in worse shape than when he took over and he doesn't look to have put provisions in place that will progress them.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Internet Favorite

Status

Given that he only started at Lokomotiv in July of this year, I did assume that his exit would be a messy one, but to be fair I've not read or heard anything regarding that.

Another point I forgot to add to my thoughts; What if Rangnick does really well during his interim period? Is there any chance United ask him to stay in the role? With Ten Hag's contract at Ajax running until the end of the 22/23 season, is it possible that United could ask Rangnick to stay in charge for the 22/23 season and then Ten Hag comes to us after that? If Pochettino wins the Champions League will he stay at PSG? That then takes him out of the running to come to us. Or, given that he hasn't managed regulary for a few seasons now, is it that Rangnick doesn't want to be in long term charge of anyone these days as he's gettign older?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    Given that he only started at Lokomotiv in July of this year, I did assume that his exit would be a messy one, but to be fair I've not read or heard anything regarding that.

Another point I forgot to add to my thoughts; What if Rangnick does really well during his interim period? Is there any chance United ask him to stay in the role? With Ten Hag's contract at Ajax running until the end of the 22/23 season, is it possible that United could ask Rangnick to stay in charge for the 22/23 season and then Ten Hag comes to us after that? If Pochettino wins the Champions League will he stay at PSG? That then takes him out of the running to come to us. Or, given that he hasn't managed regulary for a few seasons now, is it that Rangnick doesn't want to be in long term charge of anyone these days as he's gettign older?
    I've seen basically zero coverage of his Lokomotiv exit in English-language media outside of a few Russian-focused ones I follow. Not surprised. I mean, until one podcast gave some time to it the other day, I wasn't clear on whether he had a position within the club hierarchy or not, and I follow the club!

Honestly, I doubt that even if United recover massively and finish in the top four there would be pressure to appoint Rangnick permanently. i don't think he has interest in managing on a regular basis at this point - he could have been doing so at a Red Bull club if he wanted, and did for short spells, but preferred to appoint managers. Its not going to be an Ole situation where fan sentiment combines with good results to force the club's hand.

what is going to be interesting is that Rangnick typically demands total control when he's in a Director type role. He had that in the Red Bull system and he was given that at Lokomotiv. He demands to be the final word, not someone consulted. He also apparently has a bit of a tendency to throw the previous regimes under the bus with comments that undermine how things were done prior to his arrival. Not sure if that's from earlier positions or he still does it now, but I've heard a couple German pundits say that.

I wouldn't get too stressed about PSG winning the Champions League. Poch is going to have to pull a miracle to get that to happen, given how the club has been performing. It doesn't sound like Poch is exactly fully committed to the project, either.

A factor I am interested in is how much input / control Rangnick will have after this season. And if he is going to have a great deal of control, whether that will be a factor in the manager who is hired long-term. Poch certainly fits the Rangnick tactical approach reasonably well, but I can't imagine Poch wants to take another high profile job where he's not going to have significant say in signings. Same is probably true of Ten Haag. Rangnick is going to have to step away from his full-control methodology for the relationship for the next manager to work.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Jesse Marsch, the great American hope in football management, is out at RB Leipzig after 4 months. He moved there from RB Salzburg but Leipzig have been pretty poor of late and have had bad results as a consequence. Was probably just too sign for him to make that big of a jump. And taking over from someone like Narglesmann was always going to be very challenging.

Roma are also on a pretty bad run and Jose is throwing everyone under the bus. His 3 year cycle is definitely getting shorter and shorter with each subsequent job.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Internet Favorite

Status

I saw yesterday that Everton were interested in Jose coming in as their manager. Jose has however come out and distanced himself from the role saying that he's happy at Roma. I guess he's not quite done torpedoing them yet.

Comeback King

Status
      Country                    England

Think it’s likely to be Rooney, Lampard or Big Dunc if he’s changed his mind on wanting to be a manager to be honest. Don’t think anyone else is that viable.
    WWE: The New Vision| Former BTB Overlord | Order's Interviews

BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

Status

Watford have fired Claudio Rainieri, as Watford does.

Their next 3-month appointment should be arriving soon and start readying himself to be fired.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

People's Champion

Status

15 in 10 years is some record. Problem is it's feasible they appoint someone now and fire that one by the EOS too.
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Death, Taxes, and Watford sacking 2 managers per season. Horrible little club that need to stop bouncing back up.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Death, Taxes, and Watford sacking 2 managers per season. Horrible little club that need to stop bouncing back up.
    Don't like the fact the owners own what 3 clubs so can pretty much abuse whatever systems haha.
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Internet Favorite

Status

Unbelievable record Watfard have with their managers. 15 in 10 years is incredible really. I'm sad that Ranieri's gone as he's a top manager. However, they've lost 7 out of the last 8 games, they have zero clean sheets since he's taken over (none in their last 30 games) and he lost 11 out of his 14 games, that's proper relegaiton form.
    At 70 years old it'll be interesting to see if he carries on. I think he still has a lot to offer as a manager but we'll see.

Woy Hodgson's back in the game! He's in charge of Watford until the end of the season.
    At the grand age of 74 years old, has he got the stamina for a relegation battle? He's got a good track record of stabalising teams and he may be able to bring in some players before the window closes perhaps but he's got his work cut out with this one I think. Watford have the attacking squad to survive but certainly not the defensive one. We'll see how Roy has them playing in the coming games, as they'll need to turn things around quickly, especially with Norwich and Newcastle threatening to turn around their own fortunes.

There's talk that Fabio Cannavaro is being lined up as the long term manager as he's friends with Watford owner; Gino Pozzo. I think that will depend on them staying up though as I can't see Cannavaro wanting to manage int he Championship.
    Last edited by Tommy Thunder; 01-26-2022 at 08:46 AM.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Roy’s a great manager, if anyone can steady that ship and improve the that defence it’s him, but I think it’s too tall an ask.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

Internet Favorite

Status

So it's basically been confirmed that Pochettino will be leaving PSG at the end of the season. He's apparently spoken to a few people saying that he's leaving and that's on top of the strong rumors that Zidane is going to be taking over in the summer.

Good news for United as he's of course the favorite to take over at Old Trafford. Apparently he's been telling people that he would have left to go to United in January had the opportunity presented itself. I'd be happy for him to come of course.

Internet Favorite

Status

Steve Bruce to West Brom. That's a poor appointment if you ask me. He MAY get Albion into the play-offs and may even pull off promotion but long term it's a pretty short sighted appointment. Certainly seems like a step backwards from Ismael.

also Roy Keane is the favorite to take over at Sunderland. He's having an interview today.
    What a return that would be! His time as manager at Sunderland last time was wildly chaotic with inconsistent results. That was a long time ago though so you'd hope that he's matured and is wiser now. I'll certainly miss him as a pundit though, he's one of the best in that respect.
    Last edited by Tommy Thunder; 02-03-2022 at 07:43 AM.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    Steve Bruce to West Brom. That's a poor appointment if you ask me. He MAY get Albion into the play-offs and may even pull off promotion but long term it's a pretty short sighted appointment. Certainly seems like a step backwards from Ismael.
    Is it a step backwards from Ismael if Ismael was the wrong guy? we've been dropping like a stone for months. I've never seen a manager drive fans off so quickly, and after 7 months I think everyone could see this guy isn't cut out (at least yet) to be at a club our size with the expectations we have. It's hard to put it into perspective for people who haven't watched us week in week out this season, but we put up with Pulis for 3 years and the standard of football was worse this year. ...in a lower league. It's one thing to pick a defensive side for Chelsea away, but Ismael sets up 3-4-3 with wing backs and two holders in the middle EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. And then never changes the formation regardless of how we're doing. You don't need 7 defensive outfield players in the championship when you're going for promotion and rocking up to Barnsley away. It worked in the first month of the season and then everyone worked us out, drop back, let Albion have the ball but can never get it to their front three in space. We've failed to score in so many games this season and Val was doing nothing to try and change that.

It is short-sighted because they've only given him an 18 month contract and this is the cycle we've found ourselves in for the last 5 years. I think internally the club know sticking by someone for a long term project is the way to go, but they've done a bad job of picking who that manager should be.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

Internet Favorite

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Is it a step backwards from Ismael if Ismael was the wrong guy? we've been dropping like a stone for months. I've never seen a manager drive fans off so quickly, and after 7 months I think everyone could see this guy isn't cut out (at least yet) to be at a club our size with the expectations we have. It's hard to put it into perspective for people who haven't watched us week in week out this season, but we put up with Pulis for 3 years and the standard of football was worse this year. ...in a lower league. It's one thing to pick a defensive side for Chelsea away, but Ismael sets up 3-4-3 with wing backs and two holders in the middle EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. And then never changes the formation regardless of how we're doing. You don't need 7 defensive outfield players in the championship when you're going for promotion and rocking up to Barnsley away. It worked in the first month of the season and then everyone worked us out, drop back, let Albion have the ball but can never get it to their front three in space. We've failed to score in so many games this season and Val was doing nothing to try and change that.

It is short-sighted because they've only given him an 18 month contract and this is the cycle we've found ourselves in for the last 5 years. I think internally the club know sticking by someone for a long term project is the way to go, but they've done a bad job of picking who that manager should be.
    I don't disagree with anything you've said there to be fair. Perhaps the better way of putting it is that appointing Steve Bruce is at best a step sideways form Val Ismael. If he plays anything like the football he was trying to play at Newcastle then I wouldn't get my hopes up for things improving because that too was incredibly negative. He's also been brought in just after the transfer window closed so he's not even going to be able to change the squad in any way to try and imporove things.

Status