Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Review the last wrestling match you watched

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

Re: Review the last wrestling match you watched

Triple H vs. Kane vs. Goldberg - WWE Armageddon 2003

Not terribly good, but it's intresting. There are three very different wrestlers involved in the match. It's just a shame that all (at that point) were awful. Triple H was absolutely abysmal in 2003. Kane was on a roll, but that didn't hide how limited he was when he actually had to wrestler. And I think Goldberg had given up by the time that match had rolled round.

I can't help but think Goldberg's run would've been better if he'd gone to Smackdown instead. I think he ended up on Raw because they saw him vs. The Rock as a dream match. I didn't myself. If he'd gone to Smackdown he could've had a short feud with Big Show, which wouldn't have been great, but people would've been intrigued by it. And then feuds with either Lesnar, Angle, Undertaker & Chris Benoit. I think those matches appeal more than a long feud with Triple H.
    Last edited by Marketh; 07-27-2009 at 07:57 AM.

''What the fuck am I doing here?''

Tommy Got Hacked

CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy - World Heavyweight Title Match - Night of Champions 2009

The build to this was pretty great following their Bash match, with Punk's heel turn in full force and a series of great promos attacking Hardy and the fans, perhaps the best of which occurring earlier in this very show. I thought Punk's heel work was the best thing about the match, mainly his facial expressions, which were gold. He is so great at being a cocky, arrogant heel. I didn't think the match in general was anything special, though it was good. I liked the feeling out process with Punk delivering some kicks and looking (over)confident. It was also great when Punk outwrestled Hardy with some chain wrestling then pushed him away, basically showing him that he isn't in his league. The missed dives by both men looked pretty cool, and I liked Punk going for the countout victories early on, only for Hardy to make it back in, and Punk to get frustrated. Jeff going for the Swanton twice and Punk getting the knees up the 2nd time was pretty cool, and I liked Punk's Welcome to Chicago followed by Dragon Sleeper combo. I was shocked when Jeff kicked out of the GTS, and I thought it was great that Punk was so pissed off he tried to walk out, only for Jeff to bring him back and manage to hit his finishers for the victory. It wasn't anything great, but it was certainly a good match with a lot of likeable elements.
    ***1/4
    Last edited by Jim; 05-23-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Platinum View Post
    CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy - World Heavyweight Title Match - Night of Champions 2009

The build to this was pretty great following their Bash match, with Punk's heel turn in full force and a series of great promos attacking Hardy and the fans, perhaps the best of which occurring earlier in this very show. I thought Punk's heel work was the best thing about the match, mainly his facial expressions, which were gold. He is so great at being a cocky, arrogant heel. I didn't think the match in general was anything special, though it was good. I liked the feeling out process with Punk delivering some kicks and looking (over)confident. It was also great when Punk outwrestled Hardy with some chain wrestling then pushed him away, basically showing him that he isn't in his league. The missed dives by both men looked pretty cool, and I liked Punk going for the countout victories early on, only for Hardy to make it back in, and Punk to get frustrated. Jeff going for the Swanton twice and Punk getting the knees up the 2nd time was pretty cool, and I liked Punk's Welcome to Chicago followed by Dragon Sleeper combo. I was shocked when Jeff kicked out of the GTS, and I thought it was great that Punk was so pissed off he tried to walk out, only for Jeff to bring him back and manage to hit his finishers for the victory. It wasn't anything great, but it was certainly a good match with a lot of likeable elements.
    ***1/4
    I saw this too and I think I would've enjoyed a lot more, had Hardy been selling all the rib-work. I mean, seriously, the dive onto the guardrail, the kicks, the missed Swanton and the Backbreaker and I don't think I saw him hold his back or ribs in pain once. He just sold them like exhaustion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Bobby Lashley vs. John Cena - WWE Championship - Great American Bash 07

Note: I'm going to just post thoughts as I watch it so it's not a review as much as random thoughts..

I won't lie.. Lashley's music was ftw. Also I love the pause before Cena's theme.. so when it goes off fans go nuts. This is Cena's 308th day as champion during his third reign. Mixed reaction for both men but I THINK Cena has more cheers for once. The commentary here is surprisingly great so far. JR is doing an excellent job. Loving the test of power. Lashley being powerful, jacked, and a great quick amateur wrestler is really fun. Despite winning early pops, Cena is getting loads of heat now. Cena has already done more than the moves people claim he does.. he did scoop slams, face crushers, elbow drops. ftw. T-Bone from hell by Lashley. Lashley is really entertaining here. I don't get the hate. So good. I loved Batista/Cena. I give it a good ***3/4 maybe ***1/2.. but this is really fun and may end up being better. One thing I noticed in this match is that Lashley isn't very sloppy and was quite crisp. Wow, a really underrated match. I'm not sure if I'd give it the **** but it's DEFINITELY ***3/4. Really good stuff. Better than Cena/Batista but I want to give it a rewatching. JR sounded so passionate and proved how much better he was than Cole. Lashley was so underrated here and Cena continued his epic reign.

***3/4

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Tommy Got Hacked

John Cena vs Bobby Lashley - WWE Title Match - The Great American Bash 2007

I agree that this was definitely better than Cena/Tista. I rewatched that recently and didn't like it as much, but I forgot how good this was. I have to say that commentary can really have a big impact on how enjoyable a match is and JR was awesome here. He made this seem like one of the most epic showdowns we'd ever seen, and to be honest, in kayfabe terms, it really was, considering the push of both men. Lashley was Cena's toughest defence to date, and I loved the feeling out process at the start with Lashley proving he is the stronger of the two. Cena going for the STFU early is always good to see, and it was a good story with Lashley trying to avoid it all costs. A lot of great power moves from both men here, particularly Lashley, who had a really good moveset with moves like the gutbuster and the Torture Rack Backbreaker etc. Cena's facecrusher/leg drop offensive combo was great, and I liked how Lashley used his strength to drag Cena to the ropes and escape certain disaster with the STFU. The FU and Lashley's Spear were both very well timed and seemed like huge moments, especially with both men kicking out. I liked the finish too, with Cena recovering and giving Lashley an FU from the top rope. I think this is an under-appreciated match just because of who was involved. They're hardly IWC favourites, but they produced some really good stuff here. Could easily have been **** had it got a little longer.

***3/4
    Last edited by Jim; 05-23-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Superhero Sellout

Status
      Country                    au=Australia

Sting vs Vampiro - WCW Nitro in either May or July of 2000.

Bleh match. Started fighting on the outside, and Sting took an early advantage with a DDT on the floor and a vaulting body press. Vampiro came back with lead pipe shots, and beat him down for about 7 minutes, to which Sting came back with a body slam, 2 Stinger Splashes, 2 Scorpion Deathdrops and then a pin. Then a lead pipe shot after. Botchy match, made Vampiro look incredibly weak and Sting strong after taking 10+ lead pipe shots. **1/4 at a maximum, but it was a TV match during their ongoing feud, after the "red liquid" incident.

Credit where it's due, the commentators tried their best to put over Vampiro as a threat, but when you are able to get beaten by a guy after hitting him with a lead pipe over and over, it just isn't convincing, no matter how strong you are hyped up to be while hitting him.

AWESOM-O

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

John Cena vs. Triple H - WWE Championship - Night of Champions 2008

I didn't get to hear the entrances but the match was pretty good. A few good reversals and Cena constantly trying to hit the Five Knuckle Shuffle was good. This is probably the best HHH singles match *with no stipulation* in recent memory. Cena was gold as usual.

***1/2

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker - Biker Chain Match - No Mercy 2003

I haven't watched it since it was on Sky Sports nearly 6 years ago. I've only just got round to watching the DVD after having it for nearly 5 years. I wasn't too impressed with it at the time. I hated the FBI showing up. But if I remember correctly, Taker had been beating the shit into them in the weeks before the match. But I hated Vince showing his face more. Obviously it made sense with the way it was going.

Ok match but I'm still wondering why Taker never got his revenge on Vince. I would've aligned McMahon with Kane and then have Taker face Vince at SummerSlam of that year. The last thing the new version of the Deadman needed was to feud with JBL.

''What the fuck am I doing here?''

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Since I just watched that, I wholeheartedly agree with that rating. Epic stuff.

Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

The Undertaker vs The Big Show - Last Man Standing - Cyber Sunday 2008

Cyber Sunday was a PPV I only saw parts of because I was channel hopping, and I liked this but didn´t think it was anything special. But watching it now in full.... God, I LOVED this match so much. One of the best slugfests I´ve ever seen, so much brutality, personality and incredible selling. I am convinced Show is the best big man worker ever, show me another 500lb guy who takes a rolling DDT bump full-on on the neck. This was a great exercise in less-is-more, Show only went down twice before the finish and both times it felt like the most important turning point in Undertaker´s life. Taker was off the charts here, just selling to a ridiculous level and making Show look like a world beater. Soooo many great moments and highlights throughout, like Taker rope running to put more force behind his punches, Taker sitting on his ass with his fists raised telling Show to bring it on, Show calming watching Taker get up for an epic near fall to then have the expression of "time for you to die old man" and calmly grabbing a chair, and I could go on. Favourite part was probably Taker on his knees, totally out of it, wildly jabbing at Show´s jaw only for Show to angrily yell "NO" at him and headbutt him back down to the groud. Finish was also PERFECT and great on many levels. I won´t be afraid to say this is my second favourite WWE match from last year. Incredible stuff.

Status
      Country                    United States

I must of saw a different Taker/Show match because the one I saw was boring as hell and had horrible timing issues.

WAKE UP

Status

We probably have different tastes and views on whats "boring".

The only timing issue I can recall was Taker getting up a little slow for one count on the outside.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Steventon View Post
    We probably have different tastes and views on whats "boring".

The only timing issue I can recall was Taker getting up a little slow for one count on the outside.
    A little slow? The ref had to keep slowing his count every time Taker was down. It became a comedy match.

WAKE UP

Status

It happened once and it wasn't really that noticable. It didn't kill the heat or momentum or anything so it was pretty minor.

Tommy Got Hacked

Status

It happened once and it wasn't really that noticable. It didn't kill the heat or momentum or anything so it was pretty minor.
    It made me find the match even more horrible than it already was up to that point. Personally, I preferred Kane vs Rey Mysterio to this match.

WAKE UP

Status

Yeah Tom, I liked their No Mercy match a lot and they had a match on Smackdown this year that was short but good.

Jim, what didn't you like about it? The fact it was mostly punches?

Tommy Got Hacked

Status

Jim, what didn't you like about it? The fact it was mostly punches?
    I hated it because it bored me, didn't have any real drama and was too obviously preplanned. I don't have any problem with a match being mainly all punches as long as the drama is there. Jerry Lawler vs Kerry Von Erich from Superclash 3 was mainly punches, yet I was glued to my screen.

Thread Information