Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 50909899100
Results 1,981 to 1,999 of 1999

Thread: Review the last wrestling match you watched

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Review the last wrestling match you watched

Awesome match and feud that could have got even better with proper middle and ending.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Still Kicking It

Status

6/11/1985-Hulk Hogan vs. Tatsumi Fujinami-WWF Championship

This is a refreshing change from the Hogan many have seen in WWF where he does the typical big guy bodyslams and clotheslines. Here he worked over Fujinami with armbars and twisted his forearm as he lay on the mat. Fujinami worked his strong style submissions and kicks and even a sharpshooter which Hogan quickly escaped from. Match ends with Hogan with a high knee, pin attempt. Fujinami ducks a clothesline and Hogan gives him a reverse STO for the pin. This was fun because Hogan use moves you don't usually see. Both guys were in the shape of their life and put on this fast paced, athletic match.

Status

It’s January 1st, which means it’s time to kick off the year with some Dr. Death. I believe this is the 7th (?) time I’ve done this.

Just like last year, we head back to Mid-South. Where we last left off, Dr. Death won his first championship with Ted DiBiase as they cheated to beat the Rock ‘n’ Roll Express to win the belts on May 3, 1985.

Dr. Death and Ted DiBiase © vs The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express - Mid-South Tag Titles - June 19, 1985
    This is the main event of Mid-South Wrestling, one of their two main television programs. RnR controlled the early going with a fast pace. Morton busted out an early version of the Frankensteiner while we got some awesome dual spots with RnR hitting drop kicks and monkey flips to both champions. Then we go into a rarity in RnR history - the Robert Gibson face-in-peril sequence. Nothing like a little variety. The crowd is into everything as the champions work over Gibson whether fairly or by cheating. When Morton gets the hot tag, the match becomes even better as Morton cleans house by himself. The color commentator goes berserk when RnR hits their double drop kick on Dr. Death. Instead, there’s a ref bump thanks to DiBiase and DiBiase loads up his leather glove to knock out Gibson. Morton comes into the ring to roll up DiBiase, but Williams is there to give Morton a lariat with his arm brace adjusted to knock out Morton. The champions are able to cover and steal yet another victory from RnR. THOSE BASTARDS CHEATED! For a eight minute TV match, this was super hot. Mid-South is so much fun with it’s hot crowds, their emotional commentators, and their matches being simple yet well executed. This is the sort of match that makes you want to see a rematch so RnR can teach those no good champions a lesson! ***

Dr. Death and Ted DiBiase © vs Jake Roberts and The Barbarian - Mid-South Tag Titles - July 14, 1985
    Before the match, The Fantastics come out to challenge the winners to a future title match. The Barbarian in this match is not the one from the WWE/WCW, but rather The Berzerker in his rookie year. At this point, he looks like a larger Chuck Liddell. He’s working a wild man Road Warriors gimmick where he’s jumping around like a lunatic, but will never sell. This makes it difficult for the challengers in the early going as The Barbarian is easily able to get the best of them. We see the always fun spot of babyfaces cheating behind the ref’s back. The champions then prove that if you want to have a game of cheating, you can’t out cheat the ultimate cheating bastards. DiBiase knocks Roberts out behind the ref’s back to bust Roberts open. A long face-in-peril sequence follows before The Barbarian is finally able to tag in. The booking resembles the previous match as the referee is knocked out and the faces seemingly have the match won until Dr. Death adjusts his arm brace to knock out Roberts. The champions FINALLY manage to do damage to The Barbarian thanks to the arm brace. Roberts recovers and rolls back into the ring, hitting the champions with his cowboy boot. The referee wakes up and sees it. Roberts and The Barbarian are DQ’d. This would set-up a big cage match the following month at the Superdome in front of 15,000 fans. Fun, but it’s not as good as the other Dr. Death Mid-South matches that I’ve seen. ** 1/2

Status

Dr. Death and Bob Sweetan © vs Al Perez and Wendell Cooley - Mid-South Tag Titles - August 30, 1985
    A lot going on in this one. Death/DiBiase are still the tag champions, but with DiBiase on a tour with All Japan, Sweetan has stepped in to fill in for him. It was just earlier in the month that Sweetan was the guest referee for the Death/DiBiase vs Roberts/Barbarian cage match at the Superdome. Death/DiBiase won after Sweetan screwed over the challengers. Before this match, Roberts/The Barbarian came out to challenge the champions to a title match the following week. After a lot of back and forth talk, Sweetan finally agrees to the match. The referee for this match is Tommy Gilbert, the father of Eddie Gilbert. Tommy had actually just died in Nov 2015. So, everything is now set-up. The young babyface tandem of Perez/Cooley are just fodder because they’re already hyping Death’s next title defense before this one even happens. Yet, something inconceivable happens in this match. Perez and Cooley stay in the match long enough to go through two commercial breaks. In a match that should have been quick work for Dr. Death and the veteran, Sweetan, is now a war. Perez and Cooley are great in this underdog role. Hats off to the commentator for some great calls including going through the different stages of what an opponent goes through when they’re stuck in a hold they can’t get out of. I LOVE Mid-South’s commentary. After a long Cooley face-in-peril sequence, Perez finally gets the hot tag and fires off a beautiful bridging German Suplex for a near fall. The action continues with all four men in the ring, with the heels trying to cheat. The underdog babyfaces are somehow still competitive, scoring a second nearfall with Perez’s flying forearm and Cooley even escaping out of an attempt of the Oklahoma Stampede. Finally, Perez gives Williams a second bridging German Suplex with Cooley giving Sweetan a drop kick to keep him away. Perez pins Williams and we have NEW Mid-South Tag Champions! Considering they made this out to be such an easy match for Dr. Death, this has to be one of the biggest title upsets of 1985. An awesome angle for the television show and quite the match too. *** ¼

Dick Murdoch © vs Dr. Death w/Bob Sweetan - Mid-South North American Title - September 20, 1985
    For a little bit of background, NWA World Champion, Ric Flair, had stated that he’d only defend the World Title in Mid-South if it’s against the North American Champion. As a result, the value of the title skyrocketed with everyone wanting it. This caused tensions to raise even among babyface wrestlers like Murdoch, Butch Reed, and Jim Duggan. Before the match, Reed came out and announced he wanted the next crack at the title and he’d sit at ringside. Truthfully, there wasn’t much to this match. A lot of mat wrestling with neither guy allowing the other to go on offense for long. The value of the match instead comes from the angle. Sweetan interfered some, causing Reed to try to come to Murdoch’s aid, but he gets sent into the ring post. After there’s a ref bump, all hell breaks out as Sweetan and Reed enter the ring to fight it out with Williams trying to help out his buddy. At one point, Reed ends up falling on top of Murdoch. Once Reed is finally tossed out of the ring, Williams and Sweetan continue their double team on Murdoch until the bell is called for. Murdoch wins by DQ. The Fantastics, Al Perez, and Wendell Cooley run out to chase the heels away. Murdoch surprises everyone by attacking Reed, thinking he was the one behind the attack. There’s a giant pull apart with Reed and Murdoch slugging it out. Flair’s North American Title deal is tearing Mid-South apart! The Flair situation will only cause even bigger moments for Mid-South before the end of the year. Good angle, but the match is skippable. ** 1/4

Still Kicking It

Status

Bryan Danielson vs. Tommy End-Westside Xtreme Wrestling Ambition Tournament

When Tommy kneed Bryan in the knee to start, I knew it was on. The two start off with chain wrestling and escaping holds very quickly, not even leaving room for rest holds. The small intimate crowd surrounded the ring in this brick walled venue cheering the action. Bryan brought very stiff kicks to Tommy and Tommy kneed Bryan in the head pulling no punches. Tommy didn't even sell the kicks he looked really hurt especially after the first strike. Eventually Tommy fell over and the ref called for a TKO in this very stiff wrestling match. I don't think I've seen puro/joshi kill each other this much.

[IMG][/IMG]

GIMMIE A FUCKIN MIC

Status

American Dragon and Shooter Shultz vs. Lance Cade and Brian Kendrick (WWE Sunday Night Heat: February 8th, 2000)

Was very surprised this went as long as it did considering all four of these guys were nobodies at the time. I heard at least two or three different MR. AMERICA chants at Danielson. Lots of missed spots and Danielson himself probably took the worst spot after Cade didn't catch him on a top rope dive and landed on the back of his neck. Scary stuff. Decent for how new everyone was, but pretty sloppy and all over the place.

Rating: **

John Cena vs. Bryan Danielson (WWE Velocity: February 8th, 2003)

Cena's yellow pants are FLY. This was really great work from both guys in the very short amount of time they got. Wish we'd get more of this Cena. He actually broke out some nice moves and mat wrestling in this. Danielson more than held his own too. Just wish this would have lasted more than four minutes.

Rating: **3/4

I also find it crazy that these two matches (his first and second WWE matches) both took place on February 8th, and his retirement did as well.

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Graves
    "Stop talking to me. I’m trying to watch Sasha Banks right now."

"I like my women how I like my pizza; Cold."

Olympic Hero Smod

Status
      Country                    England

Haha you're doing the same as me I've been watching the collection all night at work in the background. I'm almost at the end now

GIMMIE A FUCKIN MIC

Status

This is a really fun retrospective. I completely forgot Bret Hart was on this Summerslam team against Nexus where Bryan returned. Like what the hell?

-----------------

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PeepShow View Post
    American Dragon and Shooter Shultz vs. Lance Cade and Brian Kendrick (WWE Sunday Night Heat: February 8th, 2000)

Was very surprised this went as long as it did considering all four of these guys were nobodies at the time. I heard at least two or three different MR. AMERICA chants at Danielson. Lots of missed spots and Danielson himself probably took the worst spot after Cade didn't catch him on a top rope dive and landed on the back of his neck. Scary stuff. Decent for how new everyone was, but pretty sloppy and all over the place.

Rating: **
    Just a heads up, this was not a Sunday Night Heat match. It was just a dark match before the Heat/Smackdown tapings, which explains why it received the amount of time that it did. All of these dark matches are technically taped despite the fact that they aren't aired anywhere.

GIMMIE A FUCKIN MIC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Just a heads up, this was not a Sunday Night Heat match. It was just a dark match before the Heat/Smackdown tapings, which explains why it received the amount of time that it did. All of these dark matches are technically taped despite the fact that they aren't aired anywhere.
    Ahhh, gotcha. I just saw the ring apron which was the Heat apron and just assumed so. Thought it was kind of weird that there was no commentary.

-----------------

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PeepShow View Post
    Ahhh, gotcha. I just saw the ring apron which was the Heat apron and just assumed so. Thought it was kind of weird that there was no commentary.
    I believe there's a couple other similar matches that the WWE have released on DVD in the past. I can't remember which ones they were, but I know it had to involve the OVW guys, whether it was Orton, Cena, Brock or Batista.

GIMMIE A FUCKIN MIC

Status

Watching this Summerslam match also makes me wish we could have gotten at least a mini Edge/Bryan feud. Would have been great.

-----------------

Olympic Hero Smod

Status
      Country                    England

Just watched the Brock Lesnar collection on the Network with him getting the Undisputed Title from The Rock at SummerSlam 2002.

Enjoyed the match but boy the crowd were really funny. They went from giving Rock a huge pop to booing him then back to cheering for him and the same with Lesnar. Tazz made a quip on commentary that they needed to make their minds up and I agree

Good hot finish with reversals at the end and Lesnar got a huge pop for his first title win. Enjoyable stuff. I like the collections I have to say.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    Enjoyed the match but boy the crowd were really funny. They went from giving Rock a huge pop to booing him then back to cheering for him and the same with Lesnar. Tazz made a quip on commentary that they needed to make their minds up and I agree
    Summerslam was a huge moment in the realization that some fans were no longer into Rocky, mostly due to his frequent trips away from the WWE to film movies. Being booed at Wrestlemania wasn't a big deal. Unexpected for the WWE? Sure, but he's wrestling Hulk f'n Hogan in Hogan's first Mania match in nearly a decade. Nostalgia can be mighty powerful. However, Rock getting booed against some new heel? That's a lot tougher to explain away. The only case you could make is that Brock had been booked so strong since his debut that regardless of the fact that he's new or a heel, there's a lot to dig there. The final nail in the coffin of realizing a change was needed for the Rock was at the 10th Anniversary Show for Raw. Rock sends in a tape to interact with the popular babyface act of Goldust and Booker T and...gets booed. You could no longer explain away any of the Rock's boos.

Luckily, those three moments created Hollywood Rock, a new heel Rock persona that once again reminded the fans just how insanely entertaining Rocky was that the fans began cheering for him after just a couple of months.

Status

January 1st means it's time for a bunch of Dr. Death~!

- Dr. Death Invades ECW-

Dr. Death and Tommy Dreamer w/Beulah vs Brian Lee and Taz w/Fonzie and Team Taz - The Doctor is In
    Billed as a dream partners match with Dreamer and Lee selecting special partners for this bout. Dreamer was originally going to select Terry Funk, but after Lee injured Terry Gordy with his own Asiatic Spike, Gordy gave Dreamer the number for Dr. Death. With this being Williams’ debut in ECW, he got a pretty good reaction. A bit impressive to me just because you’d have to go back to 88-89 for the last time Dr. Death had a lengthy stay on American television. Since then, he had mostly worked All Japan tours and only worked brief periods for US TV for WCW in 1992 and random Herb Abrams UWF. Since this is Dr. Death’s debut match, I do find it a little underwhelming in terms of the attention Williams received in the story of the match. The match featured Dreamer being Tazplexed off of the Crow’s Nest through tables, Fonzie and Beulah fighting, and Lee getting the pinfall on Dreamer following the Primetime Slam (Choke slam) on a garbage can. It just seemed to me that Dr. Death’s surprise debut was hardly among the bigger aspects about this. It’s still a fun little brawl to take place in the larger Lee/Dreamer program, which was a chapter of the much larger Raven/Dreamer program. We got a short sequence between Dr. Death and Taz to tease a future match not to mention the idea that with Dr. Death in ECW, we may be able to see Williams and Gordy together at a future point. ** ½

Miracle Violence Connection vs The Eliminators - High Incident
    For some context, The Doctor is In was the August 1996 ECW Arena event. Then in September at When Worlds Collide II we saw Brian Lee and The Eliminators beat Tommy Dreamer and Miracle Violence Connection at the ECW Arena. Now we’re in October and back at the ECW Arena. This would be the first and only time MVC would team together in ECW thanks to Gordy being signed to the WWE to be The Executioner around this time. In fact, it’s Gordy’s final ECW match. Sadly, the fact that Gordy already debuted on WWE TV as the Executioner, became the main reason why I wasn’t impressed with the fans. They weren’t into Gordy and spent the match giving him a hard time. Mind you, this was 1996 Gordy we’re talking about. As a result, he’s easily the worst part of the match, barely selling anything, working at half speed, and even sometimes struggling to remain upright. The story of the match was fun though. MVC flat out dominated The Eliminators for the first half to the point where it actually resembled a squash. However, it’s the star of the match, Perry Saturn, that turned it around for his team after delivering a power bomb to Death on the concrete. That allowed The Eliminators to work over Gordy including hitting a Finlay Roll/Splash combo and Total Elimination, the latter seeing a cover being broken up by a finally recovered Death. While Williams was able to prevent Total Elimination from being the finish, he was quickly tossed back outside and that’s when the crazy ending to the match took place. As High Incident was the event where Dreamer and Lee worked a scaffold match, Saturn climbed on the scaffold and from a sitting down position fell off into an elbow from the heavens onto Gordy for the pinfall. An awesome finish to a match that while not the classic it was supposed to be, ended up working for me. ** ¾

Dr. Death vs Axl Rotten - Crossing the Line Again
    After missing the last three ECW Arena events, Dr. Death is back for this February 1997 ECW Arena show. Seeing as this match went a few seconds shy of two minutes, there’s not much to it. They worked a fast pace and even allowed Rotten to not look bad despite the quick loss. Rotten got in one or two offensive moves and kicked out of the Oklahoma Stampede. However, once that failed, Death simply destroyed Rotten with the Backdrop Driver for the easy victory. The important part about this match is that Joey Styles built Williams up as being someone who has not been pinned on US soil in a decade. **

After the match, we get a clip to Raven and Dr. Death having a confrontation in the ring. Both the VHS of Crossing the Line Again and the ECW Hardcore TV episode that features this doesn’t show the entire segment. Whatever was said led to the two brawling and Tod Gordon coming out to make the match official.

Raven © vs Dr. Death - ECW World Title - Crossing the Line Again
    Again, the important thing here is that it’s claimed that Dr. Death had not been pinned in the US in a decade. Right away, Dr. Death is busted open with a steel chair. In something I can’t remember seeing too many times, Raven showed a lot of aggression, really going after Williams. The crowd seemed far more pro-Raven than I would have expected. Even though it obviously wasn’t going to happen, a Dr. Death victory could mean we’d see an ECW Champion vs Triple Crown Champion as the main event at the next Budokan event when Williams heads back to Japan in a couple of weeks. Since it’s ECW, they had to include some interference. In this case, it’s the bWo coming out. Big Stevie Cool got into a brief fight with Raven until Williams laid Raven out with a lariat. Richards offered his bWo shirt to Williams to become the first international member of the bWo (leader of bWo All Japan?). Instead Death rips the shirt up, causing Richards to nail him with the Stevie Kick. Williams no sells it for an awesome moment. Richards nails him with another kick, but again Williams no sells it. Finally, after initially blocking a third kick, Williams ends up eating the Stevie Kick that drops him to the mat. Raven jumps back into the ring and lays Williams out again with the DDT to get the victory. DR. DEATH HAS BEEN PINNED IN THE US! Perhaps the match is overbooked with the finish, but I enjoyed this. It was made to feel important with the claims that Williams hadn’t been properly beaten in the US in years. The sequence with Richards and Williams was pretty bad ass too. ***

Jobber

Status

The Road Warriors vs. Randy Barber and Mike Jackson. The Warriors gave them a 5 star ass kicking

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    Canada

NJPW Re: Review the last wrestling match you watched

Kazuchika Okada (c) Vs. Kenny Omega - IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Wrestle Kingdom 11 - 01/04/17

Man all I have to say is that this match kicked major ass! NJPW is the best wrestling in the world right now. Unbelievable performance by both competitors. They had some really great spots. Omega flying over the top rope landing on Okada on the outside in front of the entrance ramp was perfectly executed. Okada launching Omega over the top rope to the outside onto a table. That looked like it hurt. The table wasn't your standard WWE table where it breaks in the middle. This one had metal bars going around the under part of the table connecting the tables legs so the bar supports the top of the table so it doesn't break in half like WWE's tables do. Okada gets the win and holds onto the IWGP Heavyweight Championship!

Overall an amazing match. 5 stars for sure!!
    Last edited by nWoMadness; 07-09-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    Catch me on Instagram @prowrestlingconnection
    Leader of the Mattel Figure Kliq

Feel The Heat

Status

Okada/Omega WK11. Went into this completely cold knowing fuck all about either guy (except for Okada's run in LOLTNA and Cornette's hate for Omega) and I didn't see what all the fuss was about. I liked it well enough but 6 stars possibly greatest match ever? Fuck that noise. I didn't mind all of the rainmaker kick outs as its just a weak ass looking theatrical clothesline (it didn't look too devastating here at least, maybe he's done it better). I was more annoyed with the multiple tombstone kickouts. Anyways my arbitrary star rating would be ***1/2 come at me nerds.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Last Man Standing Match for the Intercontinental Championship
    Dean Ambrose vs Kevin Owens
    Royal Rumble 2016

Two of my favorite wrestlers on the WWE roster today. This was a fun, brawl in and out of the ring with great uses of tables and chairs. There is a very spot fairly early in the match when Ambrose sends Owens over the announcers table, Owens over-sells just a bit, but he lands right on Michael Cole's lap and really seems to be targeting Cole as he reaches for him and grabs him apparently even breaking Cole's glasses. Another moment I loved is at one point Owens breaks the referee's 10-count by rolling out of the ring and onto his feet. That was a great move for someone like Owens. The match ends with Owens preparing to powerbomb Amrbose from the top rope through a set of chairs in the ring, but instead, Ambrose sends Owens through two stacked up tables outside the ring and Owens is unable to get up before the 10-count. I love brawls like this, and Ambrose and Owens are two of the best brawler of this style on the WWE roster. I would love to see these two face off again in the future.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

Thread Information