Thread: Heels turning into faces.

i'm all kinds of awesome.

Status

Heels turning into faces.

In an interview, Chris said something interesting.

But in another six months or so it might change unless I can think of something else and another way to get under people’s skin. It’s a lot easier to make people hate you than it is to make them really, really like you. And usually, to make them really, really like you, they have to hate you first. That’s the cool thing about wrestling. You can play a character like this and go through the spin cycle. As long as they’re interested in the character, it really doesn’t matter to me.

Do you think that's true, that in order to be a good face, you have to be hated first? Or do you think it works differently than that?

Yes, I have a GIF of two women kissing.
    Yes, it's hot. Yes it's Megan Fox kissing another woman from Jennifer's Body. Yes, it's hot... owait, I already said that. Yes, I'm aware this makes me sound like a total lesbian. But this scene? UNF.

walk

Status
      Country                    bf=Burkina Faso
    I understand what Jericho (I assume that's Chris) was saying. As a heel, it is much easier to get people to care about you than it is as a face. So then when you make the transition to being a face, you are already cared about, and people will get behind you.
    love ire & song

Indy Talent

Status
    I can agree to that. IIRC, it was Eddie's great performances and character as a heel that led to his US and WWE title push.
    Thriller Lizards!
    Credit: Crusade

I disagree with him. Being hated has nothing to do with eventually becoming liked. The only thing you really need to be to be liked is entertaining. Eddie Guerrero is a great example of this and why I believe Jericho has this wrong (God, I sound egotistical saying a wrestler is wrong )

Through trying to become a bigger heel, Eddie started to become more and more charismatic and entertaining. Especially in a post-kayfabe era, the fans are going to cheer for who they like, not who's a face. If you look back at Smackdown's 2003 faces, most were very tense and serious. Brock Lesnar, Chris Benoit, Rhyno, Billy Kidman and Rey Mysterio were all guys who while they might be able to put on a good match, they're not the type of wrestler I'd expect to make me laugh. Through the Los Guerrero's vignettes and later Eddie's antics in the ring, he became the most entertaining person on Smackdown. Now, if you know wrestling isn't real, who would you cheer for? Someone who's as charismatic as a broom or someone who is making you laugh even when he's the "Bad guy?"

That's exactly why wrestlers like Eddie Guerrero, John Cena, Chris Jericho, and Carlito (2006) were all turned face in 2003. They were more entertaining then the heels.

At the same time, it's also why they were all bad heels. It's much harder to be a heel in 2008 then in 1988.

WAKE UP

Status
    Steamboat sure played a great heel!

Tommy Got Hacked
    Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

walk

Status
      Country                    bf=Burkina Faso
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieLeasSlave View Post
    Yeah I don't agree with that. Being a great face is just about being entertaining and likeable, and when heels turn into faces it is usually because their character could be adapted into someone the fans could love. The Rock and Stone Cold were heels before they became huge faces, but I don't think they became big because people hated them first. It was because they were so talented and so charismatic.

I would say it works more the other way round. It is easier to get the fans to hate you when they have already loved you, which is why Cena would be a great heel. The fans just feel betrayed.
    Tom, you always tell people they don't know what's happening in the wrestling world, and now you're disagreeing with an actual wrestler.

I'm just saying.

Jim brings up a very good point too. I guess at the end of the day, it depends what type of character you are portraying though.
    love ire & song

People's Champion

Status
    I think it depends.

Going heel to face can work wonders for some people, because the fans will know what they used to be, and what they overcame and how "nice" they are now. But for others, they can get over instantly over as a face, because maybe they are unique or they have a cool move set. Kind of like Evan Bourne.

Thread Information