Thread: WWE refuses to takes RISKS and it's costing them.

i'm all kinds of awesome.

Status

WWE refuses to takes RISKS and it's costing them.

As you may not have noticed by now, WWE isn't willing to take risks anymore.

Triple H is looking unbeatable having a stale championship run. Jeff Hardy could have won the title to get the fans talking, and be a big time risk.

But nope.

Storylines in the WWE just seems to be dragging out... and it's all getting stale because NOTHING is popping out because why? WWE refuses to take risks.

When they do so, people WILL talk about it for quite a while... actually be surprised... shake up things and people will actually tune in.

Ratings have declined for RAW - it's never consistent anymore, staying in the low 3.0's most of the time. There was a time last year where the normal rating would've been 3.8, because it was exciting, there was risks... but no more.

And it's costing them. Thoughts?

Yes, I have a GIF of two women kissing.
    Yes, it's hot. Yes it's Megan Fox kissing another woman from Jennifer's Body. Yes, it's hot... owait, I already said that. Yes, I'm aware this makes me sound like a total lesbian. But this scene? UNF.

No Hype Necessary

Status
    ... I admit. They could do more interesting things, but that's how the WWE is. They're never going to change... at least I highly doubt it.

Tommy Got Hacked
    Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Pleasure Rinsable

Status
    Shit's been stale for a long time. Every now and then something random will happen to make things seem interesting again (Punk and Jericho title wins) but at the end of the day nothing ever changes.

Indy Talent

Status
    They had been. Putting the title on Punk was a pretty good risk for them. But then it seemed like they just gave up on that whole youth movement thing they had going on on RAW.
    Thriller Lizards!
    Credit: Crusade

This past week has been eyeopening for me as far as the WWE goes. Sitting back and watching Smackdown, it dawned on me that the only thing that interested me in the slightest was the development of the Colon brothers. On a show that had hot girls, comedy and a huge match between two of the top WWE stars of our generation, I was fighting the urge not to fall asleep. There's something wrong with that.

Meanwhile, I brought up some of my old ECW on TNN tapes to put on DVD and as I'm watching them, I'm actually entertained. From the promos to even the short Spike Dudley squashes I'm fully alert and enjoying myself. Then I watch my first CHIKARA show and I can't remember the last time I had so much fun watching wrestling. They're giving me the reactions I used to get watching the WWE years ago.

When a main event match between Triple H and The Undertaker is overshadowed by a guy with a mask in the shape of a fuckin' toaster, that's a sign that maybe I'm the one who's been making the mistake.

The biggest thing that's stale in the WWE right now is it's fans. We're the ones complaining about the product so much, yet we don't change the channel. With all of the companies currently out there, why are we dealing with the same bullshit day in and day out?

There has been one single highlight of this entire year for me (In regards with the WWE) and that was CM Punk winning the World Heavyweight Championship. It was unexpected and it made me tune in to see what would happen. And what happened? He's instantly put in a midcard position even though he's the World Champion. While he's facing Snitsky and William Regal at the top of the first hour, it's still Cena and Batista in the main event. PPV comes and Punk still isn't in the main event. Just like that, the WWE had and lost me from being interested in what they could do.

I've been watching the WWE for pretty much two full decades. Yet, this year has to be the single least interesting for me in all of those years. Yes, 2008 is in my opinion even worse than 1993, 1995 and 2007. Wrestlemania came and went and I didn't even care in the slightest. Sure it was a decent show, but it didn't feel like a must see event. In fact, nothing has this year.

I'm thinking it might be a wise move to just give up on the WWE for a few months. Depend on my downloads and buying Indy DVD (And watching old WWE events from my personal collection) to fulfill my wrestling needs. The one exception might be ECW. ECW is hands down the best booked brand in the WWE today. They're actually showcasing things the fans want to see. You have Matt Hardy as the champion, something fans have been begging for years and Evan Bourne is getting a push. Even more importantly, with the only exception of one match, the triple threat from this week was the longest match on free TV. That's pathetic. 2 hour shows should have no problem putting on some long matches. But instead, the WWE force feeds us 2 minute matches that has zero redeeming value to it.

As long as they're going to be the way they are, I have zero reason to even bother flipping on USA or My Network TV on Monday/Friday.

Superhero Sellout

Status
      Country                    au=Australia
    Summed up why I can't watch WWE right now. It's just too boring, too predictable. I'd rather save the 100MB when i can really practically guess what's gonna happen.

AWESOM-O

Tommy Got Hacked

People's Champion

Status
    I know people hate it, and I'm one of them for the most part, but when you are as big as the WWE, you don't really need to take a risk. WWE is pretty much a monopoly, because I don't really think of TNA as a threat, and there the only other wrestling company with a TV Deal. People are still going to watch WWE, because it's wrestling, and it's pretty much they're only choice if they don't buy other companies DVD's, watch other companies online....etc. I would love to see the WWE take some bigger risks, but they don't need to right now. If another Monday Nights War happened, then yes, they would take risks.

Tommy Got Hacked

People's Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieLeasSlave View Post
    Well surely as a business they want to make as much money as possible.

It is a good point about no competition to force them to take risks, but you need to take risks in business if you want to succeed, and we always read reports about Vince being unhappy with the ratings, yet they still fail to act.
    Yeah, but the thing about a risk is that it might not always work. A risk might help one aspect of the business, but it's going to hurt another. Let's just use turning Cena heel for example, since I know you think he's state and what not. If they turned him heel, ratings might increase, but merchandise is going to decrease. That could end up making them lose money in the long run.

Tommy Got Hacked

People's Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieLeasSlave View Post
    Yeah but if you don't take risks your product will always be stale and predictable, like WWE right now. WWE have made the most money when their product has been edgy and unpredictable. It is that sort of attitude which makes me hate WWE. Keeping things as they are isn't going to help. They might as well at least try to make the product interesting in the hope of improved ratings.

You say that they have no real competition, so why bother taking unnecessary risks, but I would turn that round and say that if they are so far ahead of the competition, surely the risks arn't as risky as they would be otherwise, so why not?
    They made more money in that day, because wrestling all around was so popular. I'd go into school and nearly every kid would talk about WCW or WWE. Now, I've only got a few friends that are even into wrestling anymore. You could say that's because the product isn't as good anymore, and that is part of the reason, but it's just a whole new era. A lot of kids are into different things these days. Also, there were people like the Rock and Stone Cold back in those days. Cena is almost on that level, but I doubt there will ever be another Austin or Rock. If you go up to anyone, they would've heard of Austin. A lot may have not of heard of Cena.

For the second part, I agree to an extent. I wish they would do stuff like that, but If I was Vince, I'd stay safe. After the whole Benoit incident, they need to remain safe. Wrestling is frowned up in society, so the way they are booking is going to be predictable.

Tommy Got Hacked

Thread Information