Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Segment of 2008... by far.

i'm all kinds of awesome.

Status

Worst Segment of 2008... by far.

I am going to try and make this short, because the Raw Johnny Knoxville segment was so worthless that it's hardly worth spending the time I will waste writing about it, but the segment featured on tonight's episode of Monday Night Raw was the epitome of exactly why professional wrestling is trapped in the lull it is currently in.

During a time period where fans are giving up in droves and the industry continues to run itself in circles while other entities like UFC market themselves as the cool, fad sports-entertainment product for the most prized demographic in the world, Males 18-34, WWE books one of the most ridiculous, embarrassing segments in recent history.

Seriously, if this was the best they could have come up with, why in the world would they even bother running this dreck? I cannot envision a creative team meeting where the team was in total agreement that this was a tremendous idea that would bring the company ratings, accolades and turn viewers into paying customers. If so, how?

Vince and Linda McMahon love to comment that Wall Street doesn't understand their company. They will make snide remarks when the next WWE Studios film isn't met with a warm critical response. The reality is that it's not that no one understands the company. It's that the average person outside the pro wrestling bubble looks down on the industry because of antics like this that don't even shoot for the lowest common denominator, but for something worse.

WWE loves to compare themselves to every major entertainment series on TV. Well, name one series, anywhere, that would have written such a segment and aired it?

Anyone?

I thought not.

All WWE accomplished tonight was to give a fresh set of footage for the next time a news entity or talk show wants to poke fun at professional wrestling with the images of Knoxville vs. the cavalcade of "change the channel" characters, i.e. Boogey Man, Hornswoggle, Big Dick Johnson, and Great Khali.

Professional wrestling used to be about telling compelling stories that made you want to purchase a ticket or a DVD. What in the world was this segment supposed to entice you to want to do? Seriously, I would love anyone who is currently employed by World Wrestling Entertainment who isn't a McMahon family member to admit publicly that they loved this segment and thought it was great business, because they'd be lying.

The reality is the majority of those working for the company can't stand the current product, but like so many other businesses, they don't want to speak up because their job security would be at risk in the feudal system that is World Wrestling Entertainment. I have no such fears.

I will say what everyone working for the company wishes they could say to Vince and Stephanie McMahon - that segment was so bad, that the only thing it really accomplished was giving former fans ammunition to point to when explaining why they no longer care about professional wrestling, because for every great thing WWE does (like the top three matches at the No Mercy PPV or Ric Flair's farewell a few months back), they do another dozen things that are completely inane and frustrating for their fan base...and it makes that fan base give up and run off to other forms of entertainment. This is not news to anyone reading this, since so many of you have told us you follow the business primarily via this website now. It's 2008 and the WWE audience has been dwindling since 2001, so none of this is news to their executives, either.

It is continually amazing and sad to me all at once that for all the talk by WWE executives and performers that WWE doesn't get the respect it deserves as the entertainment force the company has evolved into, that they themselves provide the most obvious reasons as to why that is, and fail to see the forest from the trees.

Two things are certain. Things won't change within WWE, not anytime soon. Neither will my embarrassment for those involved in the segment, for those who work for the company and for the fans who want and deserve far better than Wrestlecrap on parade.

PWInsider

This article hit it on the head for me, anyone agree? I'm sure there's a few disagreements, so tell us... which segments were worse?

Yes, I have a GIF of two women kissing.
    Yes, it's hot. Yes it's Megan Fox kissing another woman from Jennifer's Body. Yes, it's hot... owait, I already said that. Yes, I'm aware this makes me sound like a total lesbian. But this scene? UNF.

Tommy Got Hacked
    Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

i'm all kinds of awesome.

Status
    There was someone that I know of that had a friend watch RAW, because she loved Johnny Knoxville. During the segment, the friend went 'I'm scared'...

That had to be embarrassing as hell that she recommended this for the hell of it and it got turned into a joke for a non wrestling fan to watch... doesn't give them reasons to watch at all if that's what they see.

Yes, I have a GIF of two women kissing.
    Yes, it's hot. Yes it's Megan Fox kissing another woman from Jennifer's Body. Yes, it's hot... owait, I already said that. Yes, I'm aware this makes me sound like a total lesbian. But this scene? UNF.

WAKE UP

Status
    Hardly making it short, you fucking moron.

It was a waste of time, but as long as the Millionaire Give-away shit happened this year, then that is still #1 on the list of wrestlecrap for 2008.

OMB BAYBAY!

Status
    Personally, I think the segment where Hornswoggle pulled Looney Toons shit and ran through a wall takes the cake for the worst segment this year.

WAKE UP

Status
    That shit was hilarious because of how little sense it made.

Sweet Meat

Status
    I don't feel like this was a bad segment. The Hornswoggle part made sense, Santino/Knoxville makes sense. The Boogeyman part wasn't needed but the rest worked, even if overkill.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Last Real Man Hype

Status
    So wait...why did this happen in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

WAKE UP

Status
    Because WWE are dumbasses.

Sweet Meat

Status
    The Khali/Knoxville idea was dumb and just to get publicity anyway >_>

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

People's Champion

Status
    I guess I'm the only one who loved it.

Raw has just been so boring the last month, and this actually made me interested in what I was seeing on my TV. Santino started off great as always, and it was just fun to watch.

Sweet Meat

Status
    I enjoyed it. I wouldn't have done it but it's hardly the worst segment this year and all that.

Spoiler:

knower of all

Status
    segment was ok, this guy is just an asshole who lies about making things short.

Sand in the potato salad.

Status
    I personally LOVED the segment. It was the most nonsensical, hilarious shit they've done in a while.

It was absolutely terrible, and never should have been done, but it entertained me personally, for the randomness and the fact that they actually thought it was a good idea.

Tommy Got Hacked

People's Champion

Status
    I personally thought it was hilarious. Fuck you guys. Yes I know it was terrible, thats why it was so funny. The party boy and fat boy was to funny.

If I Ruled The World...

...Imagine That

I call it like I see it.

Status
    I have to agree with ya Jas...this whole thing was a mess from start to finish...thinking back from all the segments of 2008. I do think that this indeed was the worst segment of this year
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This picture for the win!

Favorite Superstars: The Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, MVP, John Cena, Randy Orton, Edge, Kofi Kingston, Shelton Benjamin, Chris Jericho

Favorite Divas: Mickie James, Alissa Flash, Sarita,Tara, Layla, Bella Twins

R.I.P. Michael Jackson

I'm Tha Man!

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada
    Knoxville or whatever his name is, was pretty unconvincing on the mic after the attack by Horny, Beth, and Boogeyman. Beth almost dropped him on his head, and I was disappointed to see the same old Boogey return after WWE had a changce to tweak his character. The Hory bit was probably my favorite part, something about Knoxville getting pwnt by s midget was pretty awesome. Plus midgets are always cute! I like the fact that WWE is showing more of the comedy side of Khali, its actually making me interested in him for once, though the Khali Bomb on Knoxville was pretty predictable and it really made Knoxville look stupid. Moments before he said that he wasnt making fun of Khali, then to Khali's face he implies that Khali has a small penis. Add to that, the commentators were mentioning some trash talking by Knoxville to Khali on Jackassworld.com and it became a little confusing. Overall I did enjoy the segment, but like most things in wrestling, there was room for improvement. Oh I forgot, Big Dick Johnson was just lame.
    [
    I'll crash the plane that ****** n-gga B.O.B is in!

People's Champion

Status
    Did anyone else notice Pontias just disappear?

If I Ruled The World...

...Imagine That

Tommy Got Hacked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information